how many streaks are true tablets

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest alert_bri
Flightmode also disables WiFi and BT.

For myself and anyone that I know more or less in person that's using a Streak, the absolutely only reason to chose a Streak was because it's the only Tablet that, due to its size, can also be used REASONABLY as a phone. If I would want a pure tablet without phone function, I would have chosen a larger device.

So +1 for "Phone + Tablet".

BTW: In 1.7.0 I had, for the very first time since using Steve's builds, the feeling that he messed up something regarding the phone function. I installed it using only the switches for stock launcher and original dialer, no other changes regarding installed apps compared to former builds, but the phone function often fails in terms of that there is no ringtone on incoming calls, or incoming calls are not signalized at all, or various other malfunctions. I have disabled SetCPU and THINK it's better now. However, I just wish that Steve is not starting to care less about a good-working phone part of the Streak. Honestly, for me the function as a mobile phone is the primary scope, using it as tablet is secondary.

Interesting, I've just checked and it is possible to select Airplane mode, and then to enable wifi... This results in phone being apparently switched off. I don't know how this will affect power consumption.

I can appreciate what you're saying about 1.7 being a step backwards wrt phone functionality... But have you tried going back to a previous stock build and completely resetting + clearing all caches? I'm wondering whether we're suffering from some residual config clashing with this latest build.

Cheers

Brian

Guest BigBlue007

Well, now with SetCPU disabled I have the feeling that it's better now. I don't really like to go back to an older build, I'm just hoping that in Steve's next build the phone part will work as good as in previous builds.

My concern is that now when Steve asked this question, he might for himself not really be interested in the phone part and therefore might not take the phone part into closer consideration. However, that might as well be a completeley wrong interpretation (at least I hope it is). :D

Edited by BigBlue007

Guest Hothan Dao
Flightmode also disables WiFi and BT.

For myself and anyone that I know more or less in person that's using a Streak, the absolutely only reason to chose a Streak was because it's the only Tablet that, due to its size, can also be used REASONABLY as a phone. If I would want a pure tablet without phone function, I would have chosen a larger device.

So +1 for "Phone + Tablet".

I do agree that if I want a pure tablet without phone function, a larger device (7 inches) will be my most favor.

Guest alert_bri
I guess reading is a lost art... :D

... along with kindness and manners :D

I do wonder whether selecting airplane mode and then switching on wifi would have the same effect though?

Cheers

Brian

Guest popetodd
... along with kindness and manners :D

Manners would be to read the request and respond only if you were using it in tablet mode as he requested.

As for kindness: I was blunt, up front, out spoken, but in no way unkind.

Guilt trips are undignified, juvenile and only work on people with low self esteem so don't bother trotting them out again.

Cheers.

Edited by popetodd

Funny how Steve asked about TABLET ONLY users and instead gets a plethora of dual use users responding.

I guess reading is a lost art... :D

Yes I guess you are right I misunderstood the request. I shall try and delete my post now.

Guest alert_bri
Manners would be to read the request and respond only if you were using it in tablet mode as he requested.

As for kindness: I was blunt, up front, out spoken, but in no way unkind.

Guilt trips are undignified, juvenile and only work on people with low self esteem so don't bother trotting them out again.

Cheers.

Never mind, ignorance is bliss no doubt.

As for tablet users only - there are times when it makes sense to switch off GSM to save power, and realising through Steve's question and the open discussion here that one can do that by selecting Airplane mode and then switching on wifi is genuinely useful.

Thanks to folks who won't be bullied by those who feel the need to belittle - open discussions are usually more productive than closed ones.

Cheers

Brian

Guest BigBlue007

Well, if Steve gets the correct message from this thread, which clearly seems to be that there is no considerable amount of tablet-only Streak users, then I can live with being not nice in this specific case. :D

The best way to achieve the original goal would have been to open this thread as a poll btw.

Edited by BigBlue007

Guest superutp
please don't take the phone function away, its useless without it to me

I honestly dont think he is going to take it away...instead he is probably going to include a feature in future builds which will allow users to remove phone functionality if they want to...

Guest stoney1973
I honestly dont think he is going to take it away...instead he is probably going to include a feature in future builds which will allow users to remove phone functionality if they want to...

would removing phone functionality make it easier to port honeycomb over when it becomes available?

Guest popetodd
Never mind, ignorance is bliss no doubt.

I suppose you would know...

(Ad hominem? I can play juvenile game as well.)

Edited by popetodd

Guest skywills

i will use it as tablet if able to connect my iphone ad-hoc network..but sadly currently still unable to do that? Do steve will make it possible connect to ad-hoc network?

Guest rgsekula

I use mine as a wifi tablet only so I support any gains in battery life made possible by removing phone components.

Although it was mentioned above, I didn't see explained what difference this would be from simply enabling airplane mode then switching on wifi. I have only been doing this for the last few weeks but the battery life gains have been substantial.

Guest alert_bri
I use mine as a wifi tablet only so I support any gains in battery life made possible by removing phone components.

Although it was mentioned above, I didn't see explained what difference this would be from simply enabling airplane mode then switching on wifi. I have only been doing this for the last few weeks but the battery life gains have been substantial.

Yes, just to confirm my battery life is almost doubled by switching to Airplane mode and then enabling wifi. Good find!

Cheers

Brian

Guest Tim6772

In the time I've had my streak(s) I've only taken 2 calls in total

Most of my useage is wifi or sms, 90%wifi 10%sms.

I do like the fact that its a mini tablet with phone functionality but would like a 'Toggle' feature if that was at all possible.

Personally, I doubt id use or like a 'Tablet Only' rom, but each to their own.

Guest offthahorse

at the moment i do use it as a tablet only, and most of the time as a wifi tablet only.

HOWEVER there are numerous occasions when my blackberry battery dies and i just switch my sim into the streak so i dont miss any calls. ALSO google maps is better on an overclocked machine with a 5 inch screen than on a blackberry torch so i often switch my sim in for pure 3G goodness...

so maybe mine isnt a true tablet, but how do you define true tablet, the ipad and galaxy tabs are true tablets but both are capable of connecting to hspa networks, also the galaxy tab has phone hardware and software built in

Guest JohnKaffee

I use mine as a very big cellphone ( but you can't see it in my bigger hands :huh: ) and it's my primary phone. My battery lasts almost a day if I don't abuse of games and WiFi.

Edited by JohnKaffee

I almost ALWAYS switch my Streak to Airplane Mode overnight and then re-enable wifi. Power management will have the wifi off when screen goes off and battery life is about 2x-3x what it is with cell functionality on. I also use Juice defender to have it periodically enable wifi and poll for emails etc. with airplane mode on.

Bottom line:

Why go through the work of disabling the cell functions in the ROM when you can simply go to airplane mode and enable wifi / bt afterwards? I think that would be a waste of Steve's valuable brain power! :huh:

Just my 0.02,

W0nk0

Guest rgsekula
I almost ALWAYS switch my Streak to Airplane Mode overnight and then re-enable wifi. Power management will have the wifi off when screen goes off and battery life is about 2x-3x what it is with cell functionality on. I also use Juice defender to have it periodically enable wifi and poll for emails etc. with airplane mode on.

Bottom line:

Why go through the work of disabling the cell functions in the ROM when you can simply go to airplane mode and enable wifi / bt afterwards? I think that would be a waste of Steve's valuable brain power! :huh:

Just my 0.02,

W0nk0

I did notice that even tho I always have airplane mode enabled, under settings/battery use there is still a significant percentage dedicated to "phone idle". I don't know if this phone=radio or if phone=device/system.

Guest boboskins
I did notice that even tho I always have airplane mode enabled, under settings/battery use there is still a significant percentage dedicated to "phone idle". I don't know if this phone=radio or if phone=device/system.

Unless I am mistaken this is exactly the point of Steve's suggestion. Putting the phone into airplane mode disables the radios/phone and thereby increases the battery life. However, as noted in earlier post, when I did something similar on my Vega and removed the phone frameworks (phone.apk, telephony.apk and a few other) this greaty increased the battery life. I guess it is part of the way the android system works - there appears to be background processing going on to check phone signal etc. For some reason simply putting into airplane mode doesn't seem to get rid of this entirely. Getting rid of the phone related frameworks on the vega (which doesn't even have the phone hardware) made for a substantial improvement in battery - so I would guess a similar improvement could be had on the streak. For those wanting to get the best battery life as a tablet (and happy to completely lose phone capability - unless you reinstate the frameworks) this could be a huge boon.

Sadly I need my streak as my primary phone otherwise I would happily give this a try.

B

Guest manicsloth

This is slightly off topic I know but for some reason I get about 2 days battery life on Steve's 1.6.1 build as opposed to 1 day on any other build, 1.7.0 included. This is with no modifications to the cpu speed at all. It's probably been mentioned elsewhere but I was here reading and figured I might as well add it anyways. :huh: