Vega dock 40 quid???

Guest wobblydoggy

Guest wobblydoggy
I have to say, just reading through this post, that two things strike me as obvious...

1. That the guys at DSG/Advent are bending over backwards to help a community of loyal supporters for what is essentially a minor niche product. I've never seen this amount of engagement from a large retailer with its customer base and DSG/Advent should be applauded for it's efforts and in turn shown a bit of support (and respect) back.

2. Some people on here just don't get what a dock is or more importantly the value of the dock as a convenience item.

Sure thing, you can get a mix and match £9.99 stand, and a USB hub, but that isnt the point really. The idea is you get a matching dock, set it up somewhere (next to that expensive flat screen maybe?), add all your cables, then leave it be... You come home in the evening, pop the Vega in it's dock and that's it... it's only a few seconds saved but really who can be that ar*ed to attach and detach the cables every time you want to move the damn thing. It's inconvenient.

I'm no Apple fan, but I really do envy and admire the styling of Apple devices and accessories and their simplicity of use, something that unfortunately Android will probably never fully match given the diversity of the various devices running the platform. Apple fans get that... they pay premium price for stuff that is just (and I'll say it again) convenient.

Dont think of the price, think of the value and the fact that your cheap as chips tablet suddenly doesn't look like GCSE Science project with wires dangling everywhere but a proper lifestyle gadget and something your mates will see in your living room (or where ever) and maybe even think is actually cool! :huh:

So, pay around £15 for dangling wires, and the hassle of connecting/reconnecting, then sit back and congratulate yourself on saving £15 and stare at your creation until you actually get sick of the sight of the wretched mutant cousin of Peep Show's Megatron...

or...

Pay £29.99... and enjoy the simplicity and lack of clutter.

One final note from me... why on earth would you want another one of the totally rubbish stock chargers! I wouldn't want another one even if they did give the damn thing away free!

For those serious about getting the most from the device I'd say go and buy a Masterplug MVA 1200. If you have ever felt like hurling the device against a wall while trying to type with the AC plugged in, using the MVA will make the Vega seem like a completely different device altogether... £10 very well spent, especially as it comes with multiple ends so will suit a plethora of other devices. Buy the MVA for use on the move and use the old charger in the dock where it won't affect typing (as presumably you'll be using a KB and Mouse).

2o2m.

:) niiiice rant

Guest Nemes1s
I have to say, just reading through this post, that two things strike me as obvious...

1. That the guys at DSG/Advent are bending over backwards to help a community of loyal supporters for what is essentially a minor niche product. I've never seen this amount of engagement from a large retailer with its customer base and DSG/Advent should be applauded for it's efforts and in turn shown a bit of support (and respect) back.

2. Some people on here just don't get what a dock is or more importantly the value of the dock as a convenience item.

Sure thing, you can get a mix and match £9.99 stand, and a USB hub, but that isnt the point really. The idea is you get a matching dock, set it up somewhere (next to that expensive flat screen maybe?), add all your cables, then leave it be... You come home in the evening, pop the Vega in it's dock and

{ ---- rant trimmed down to save on storage.... :huh: ---}

For those serious about getting the most from the device I'd say go and buy a Masterplug MVA 1200. If you have ever felt like hurling the device against a wall while trying to type with the AC plugged in, using the MVA will make the Vega seem like a completely different device altogether... £10 very well spent, especially as it comes with multiple ends so will suit a plethora of other devices. Buy the MVA for use on the move and use the old charger in the dock where it won't affect typing (as presumably you'll be using a KB and Mouse).

2o2m.

Love it - and very well said too. :) BTW, Where did you get your Masterplug at a tenner?

Guest simonta

Well said 2old2mould.

Folks also forget market economics. If you don't want it, don't buy it! If DSG get stuck with inventory they can't shift, the price will come down. I can't see that happening though, the price seems right to me.

Guest Sanddancer75

Well said. I got made redundant last month (& can't even get a reply from job applications, never mind an interview), so can't justify a dock at the moment. It's like all the people avoiding the official cases to risk something that's cheaper, but doesn't fit properly, have a hole for the camera, expose the ports or work as a stand.

Guest Nemes1s

Ahah! Mine just arrived :huh: Looks very well built.

Will hook it up when I get home tonight and give some feedback on it. For the USB ports I assume I will need to have the Vega in host mode?

Guest Thresherinc
Ahah! Mine just arrived :huh: Looks very well built.

Will hook it up when I get home tonight and give some feedback on it. For the USB ports I assume I will need to have the Vega in host mode?

I don't think so, I think the USB host functionality comes through the mount port, and you leave the Vega in Slave mode.

Guest Mickgoodie1

I guess the dock is this one as the picture on the dixons/pcworld web sites you cannot tell!

http://www.itproportal.com/2010/11/30/pict...ocking-station/

If it is, and its £30.00 then yeah I can see that you can connect it and save alot of mess/cables everywhere.

Granted, i think it should of come with another power supply to justify the cost, or even the option to buy another one

at a discounted price, as it seems like hunting these down are like rocking horse poo!

I am a home worker so having my vega on my desk with this dock would be good, but I cannot get wireless in my office (out in the garage)

so next question is can you use a ethernet USB dongle with the vega?

Guest 2old2mould
Love it - and very well said too. :huh: BTW, Where did you get your Masterplug at a tenner?

It was indeed Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...EMASTERPLUG.htm

Great piece of kit although the ends can be a bit loose. If you think you may only ever need to use the Vega adaptor then I'd recommend using some electrical tape to bind it closed.

2o2m.

Guest Nemes1s
Great piece of kit although the ends can be a bit loose. If you think you may only ever need to use the Vega adaptor then I'd recommend using some electrical tape to bind it closed.

2o2m.

Good tip 2o2m, Thanks.

Quick review of the Advent dock.

Mine arrived today and just put it to use...

Dock works very well and has a neat surprise. The vega has a proximity sensor in the bottom edge in the middle. A small blue led lights up on the bottom front edge on the Vega when you're about a cm away from the dock and lined up. As you then dock the blue light transfers to the indicator right beneth it on the dock. Very cool indeed. Wont get that on your £10 stand :huh: makes it nice and simple to line up!

Angle is good for general viewing. Mine is set to run as a photo frame when not in use. Works very well. As a stand it is very stable too. Build quality and finish is very good.

USB sockets work fine. Haven't tested the hdmi yet as I need a cable!

No manual not that you really need one anyway.

All in all I would say this is definately worth the money. The proximity sensor was a suprise too! Love it :) very pleased with it.

Guest zzleezz

Sure thing, you can get a mix and match £9.99 stand, and a USB hub, but that isnt the point really. The idea is you get a matching dock, set it up somewhere (next to that expensive flat screen maybe?), add all your cables, then leave it be... You come home in the evening, pop the Vega in it's dock and that's it... it's only a few seconds saved but really who can be that ar*ed to attach and detach the cables every time you want to move the damn thing. It's inconvenient.

I'm no Apple fan, but I really do envy and admire the styling of Apple devices and accessories and their simplicity of use, something that unfortunately Android will probably never fully match given the diversity of the various devices running the platform. Apple fans get that... they pay premium price for stuff that is just (and I'll say it again) convenient.

Dont think of the price, think of the value and the fact that your cheap as chips tablet suddenly doesn't look like GCSE Science project with wires dangling everywhere but a proper lifestyle gadget and something your mates will see in your living room (or where ever) and maybe even think is actually cool! :huh:

So, pay around £15 for dangling wires, and the hassle of connecting/reconnecting, then sit back and congratulate yourself on saving £15 and stare at your creation until you actually get sick of the sight of the wretched mutant cousin of Peep Show's Megatron...

or...

Pay £29.99... and enjoy the simplicity and lack of clutter.

One final note from me... why on earth would you want another one of the totally rubbish stock chargers! I wouldn't want another one even if they did give the damn thing away free!

2o2m.

Ok, I might have come across a bit negative. I will say that my own rant against the dock was written carefully to reflect my own personal possible usage. I use my vega around the house in different places so although the dock would tidy up the cables in one location it would be less convenient for me (again, my own personal view).

Im not after something that is an apple wannabe, if that was what I wanted I would have saved up for an iPhad. Having a nice tidy dock probably is worth paying out a little extra but its not something I need or want.

With all that said I still think the fact it does not adjust is a massive and difficult to justify problem, having it next to your large TV plugged into the dock looking all nice and shiny is great but having to move yourself to be able to see what is on the screen if you need to is not so great.

Oh yes, one more thing, my vega doesnt sit on its stand with wires hanging out of it birds nest style. I have no need to have any devices plugged in whilst in use. Dont need USB storage as I use network shares through CIFS, no need for it to be plugged into mains as I find it has a handy included excellent battery that works just as well and lasts a couple of days heavy use. No need for keyboards our mice, dont see the appeal of buying a tablet and turning it into a weak laptop. I dont see me ever needing to plug it into my telly, have a nice HTPC already plugged into that and it does a great job.

All of the above reflects my own personal expectations from this device.

I did forget to say well done to vegaCS for addressing the price faux pas. Well done.

Hmmm, this and the Masterplug will bump the TCO by another £40...

Dammit they could've included another power adapter :huh:

I'm teetering on purchase...if only for the convenience of making it a "desktop" style machine. Can't stand having 3 wires running along the outer edge of the device, and I'm thinking of using it for Android development.

Damn you vegaccs ;( *buys begrudgingly*

Guest bohemian100
Used my dock twice now.............. only for charging.......... just plugged in a 4gb usb stick and ................ nothing?

If you insert a usb storage device into the side of the vega and open ifilemanager the usb device files are in the system_usb folder, if you plug the usb storage device into the back of the dock, open ifilemanager, the usb storage device files will be in the docking_usb folder.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems the price is back up to £39.99. I've missed the boat.

What a rip off! Well that's it I ain't getting a vega, and I will try my best to avoid dixons/currys/pcworld when I do get a tablet. After everything the community here has done for the vega, and that's the way they repay us. What a joke.

Guest cjtkd
Seems the price is back up to £39.99. I've missed the boat.

Yeah it went back up today, or overnight last night. I searched it out yesterday, saved the bookmark for a good look over this morning when i noticed the tenner hike!!!

**just noticed i dont have a pound key on my Vega - ironic!?

Guest simonta

Steady in the front rank there...

It's probably a snafu but the main Vega page still shows £29.99. By law, PC World has the choice of refusing to sell it to you or selling at £29.99. What they can't do is sell it to you for £39.99 so dive in quick. Just go to the front page of PC World and select Advent Vega on the tablets menu.

Free market economics at work here. If enough people buy it at £39.99, it matters not what goes on here. No company will set it's price by listening to a small, but vocal, minority most of whom do not pause to think about what the unit cost is, distribution costs or margins. If not enough people buy it, the price will drop if they can still make margin or they'll stop selling it. I would guess that perhaps a couple of hundred people have bought a Vega because of this forum which is insignificant. I doubt that they feel any compunction to "repay us".

No need to raise your cholesterol levels over it :(

Steady in the front rank there...

It's probably a snafu but the main Vega page still shows £29.99. By law, PC World has the choice of refusing to sell it to you or selling at £29.99. What they can't do is sell it to you for £39.99 so dive in quick. Just go to the front page of PC World and select Advent Vega on the tablets menu.

Free market economics at work here. If enough people buy it at £39.99, it matters not what goes on here. No company will set it's price by listening to a small, but vocal, minority most of whom do not pause to think about what the unit cost is, distribution costs or margins. If not enough people buy it, the price will drop if they can still make margin or they'll stop selling it. I would guess that perhaps a couple of hundred people have bought a Vega because of this forum which is insignificant. I doubt that they feel any compunction to "repay us".

No need to raise your cholesterol levels over it :(

Problem is that as soon as you try to buy one the price in your basket is £39.99. As for free market economics, Dixons have lost over £300 of my money. I know it's only a drop in the ocean but it's their loss not mine.

Guest celyn
Problem is that as soon as you try to buy one the price in your basket is £39.99. As for free market economics, Dixons have lost over £300 of my money. I know it's only a drop in the ocean but it's their loss not mine.

I was going to get one today. Typical. Not paying 40 quid for one

Guest simonta
I was going to get one today. Typical. Not paying 40 quid for one

Hello. Can anyone hear me???

If you go to a store, and show them the online £29.99 price, they have only 2 options in law. Either refuse to sell it to you or sell it at £29.99. I don't think that they will refuse. It is unlawful for them to sell it at £39.99 unless they correct the price shown in the ad.

Guest celyn

Hello. Can anyone hear me???

If you go to a store, and show them the online £29.99 price, they have only 2 options in law. Either refuse to sell it to you or sell it at £29.99. I don't think that they will refuse. It is unlawful for them to sell it at £39.99 unless they correct the price shown in the ad.

[/quote

my store doesnt stock them and to be honest the service is so bad anyway they would probably just tell me to go awat

Guest Touch Graphite

Anyone got any dock app suggestions!?

With the dock, it would be nice to see some apps that auto start when insterted. i.e photo frames or a nice bedside clock display.

If not, one needs to be developed.