Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (natty) on Vega (update 13/4)

Guest hybr1d

Guest Zebrahead
how do you get root permissions??

Well, firstly, what OS are you running?

In linux, you'd have to have the root password, and it would just be a case of inserting "sudo " at the front of the extraction command.

In windows? I'd guess you just run cmd as admin, not 100% sure on that one though.

It's all running for me now, I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has, feel free to PM ^^

Zeb

Guest Panayioti
Well, firstly, what OS are you running?

In linux, you'd have to have the root password, and it would just be a case of inserting "sudo " at the front of the extraction command.

In windows? I'd guess you just run cmd as admin, not 100% sure on that one though.

It's all running for me now, I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has, feel free to PM ^^

Zeb

Oh Ok thanks for the support and I will try on admin. :(

P.s Is it running fast?

Guest nevermind41

still same problem :(

but I advise you to try in linux extracting the file to an ext3 partition . Trying in windows is useless .

Guest Zebrahead
Oh Ok thanks for the support and I will try on admin. :(

P.s Is it running fast?

Good luck ^^

And right now, from what I've tried, it isn't as fast as droid (obviously), but the fact that it runs alone is great!

It is mostly usable but don't expect anything spectacular, it's probably slower than what you're used to. But working with a real terminal is much nicer than an emulator on android! ^^

Guest Komiket
still same problem :(

but I advise you to try in linux extracting the file to an ext3 partition . Trying in windows is useless .

same problem here! which extraction are you refering to? to where?

Guest Zebrahead
So could you tell me how you manged to do it? (did you use windows?)

Thanks

I don't use windows much anymore so I can't really suggest any solutions to anyone wrt that.

However I can help if you guys are prepared to use linux, whether a live CD or full installation.

Step by step :

> Partition SD card to ext3 ( > 2gb)

> Create boot image specifying the ext3 partition you created

> Extract rootfs to partition

- On a linux box :

cd <location of ext3 partition>
# Change directory to partition

sudo tar -xvf <rootfs.tgz wherever it's stored>
# As superuser, extract FS to current director in verbose mode - this means that it'll tell you which files it's currently working on
[/codebox]

The extraction takes a while, took me about 30/40 mins if I remember.

Once you have that....

> Flash the boot image from step 2,

> Insert memory stick

> And boot :(

> After a bunch of text which you don't need to worry about unless it goes wrong, you should get something that prompts for a

[codebox]vegatab login :

or similar.

> As you (probably) dont have a keyboard, you won't be able to log in here. Leave it for about 2 mins and the program that loads ubuntu (plymout) will fail on a lack of keyboard assertion.

> This will log in as required.

> Congratulations :(

Feel free to PM/ask more questions ^^

Zeb

Guest HunteronX
I don't use windows much anymore so I can't really suggest any solutions to anyone wrt that.

However I can help if you guys are prepared to use linux, whether a live CD or full installation.

Step by step :

> Partition SD card to ext3 ( > 2gb)

> Create boot image specifying the ext3 partition you created

> Extract rootfs to partition

- On a linux box :

cd <location of ext3 partition>
# Change directory to partition

sudo tar -xvf <rootfs.tgz wherever it's stored>
# As superuser, extract FS to current director in verbose mode - this means that it'll tell you which files it's currently working on
[/codebox]

The extraction takes a while, took me about 30/40 mins if I remember.

Once you have that....

> Flash the boot image from step 2,

> Insert memory stick

> And boot :(

> After a bunch of text which you don't need to worry about unless it goes wrong, you should get something that prompts for a

[codebox]vegatab login :

or similar.

> As you (probably) dont have a keyboard, you won't be able to log in here. Leave it for about 2 mins and the program that loads ubuntu (plymout) will fail on a lack of keyboard assertion.

> This will log in as required.

> Congratulations :(

Feel free to PM/ask more questions ^^

Zeb

@Zebrahead

nevermind41's boot.img worked with your instructions for me. Thanks to both of you. :)

Guest Panayioti

Ok I want to start again how do you partition your sd card to ext3? because i took my sd card out and still comes up with the prompts. :(

Guest Michael_llewellyn

Thanks for this, I now have an ubuntu install on my vega :( I had a few issues with wireless but configured it manually and killed network-manager.

I'm gonna try compiling a few things like mupen64

Guest Zebrahead
Ok I want to start again how do you partition your sd card to ext3? because i took my sd card out and still comes up with the prompts. :(

Not sure about on Windows, but if you have a live CD/linux installation, the easiest way to do it is probably by using gparted :

sudo gparted [\code]

at a prompt.

This will open the partition manager, simply partition the card as you like with a >2gb ext3 partition

Zeb ^^

Guest Zebrahead
You can also use clockwork mod to partition your SD card if I'm not mistaken. This may be an easier bet.

If memory serves, this may not be a good idea if your card is > 12gb. I think that's only as big as ClockWork will format, and you'll find your SD card is smaller if it was originally greater than that.

That aside, can anyone who has wireless connections working point me in the right direction? Whenever I scan I get no results.

Thanks,

Zeb

Guest Michael_llewellyn

I used wpa_supplicant:

wpa_passphrase ESSID PASS >> mywireless.conf
replacing ESSID with your wireless name and PASS with your WPA password. This creates file mywireless.conf
wpa_supllicant -i wlan0 -c mywireless.conf
Optionally add -B to run in background
dhclient wlan0

PS you might have to kill network-manager and of course this only works with WPA secured networks

Guest Zebrahead
I used wpa_supplicant:

wpa_passphrase ESSID PASS >> mywireless.conf
replacing ESSID with your wireless name and PASS with your WPA password. This creates file mywireless.conf
wpa_supllicant -i wlan0 -c mywireless.conf
Optionally add -B to run in background
dhclient wlan0

PS you might have to kill network-manager and of course this only works with WPA secured networks

Hey, thanks ^^

I found a site which had some instructions on them and they worked ^^

will post them here if i get chance later on!

sent from my vega running ubuntu ;D

Zeb ^^

Guest Zebrahead
anyone to post a ready image for us noobs :( i would like to try it when my vega arrives :(

OP did.

you can find it in the first post. although it's not something you can just flash with CWM^^

Zeb

Guest hybr1d

Ubuntu does manage to boot/run okay now - it is just rather slow to load X due to delays in udevd (it is forking a large number of threads and taking a long time to parse the various rules.d files)

If you give it time it will get there eventually :(

Wifi is working better now (you can use network-manager to handle connections like normal) and performance is slightly improved

I'll upload an updated root image soon.

ubuntu-screenshot.jpg

Guest hybr1d
Ubuntu does manage to boot/run okay now - it is just rather slow to load X due to delays in udevd (it is forking a large number of threads and taking a long time to parse the various rules.d files)

If you give it time it will get there eventually :(

Wifi is working better now (you can use network-manager to handle connections like normal) and performance is slightly improved

I'll upload an updated root image soon.

ubuntu-screenshot.jpg

Updated root image now up at http://www.adebenham.com/vega

Guest Michael_llewellyn
Updated root image now up at http://www.adebenham.com/vega

Any changes to your kernel or just rootfs?

I've also been having some fun with slackware and debian tarballs. Gonna need a bigger SD card :(

Oo which reminds me - is it possible to boot off usb?

Guest hybr1d

Any changes to your kernel or just rootfs?

I've also been having some fun with slackware and debian tarballs. Gonna need a bigger SD card :(

Oo which reminds me - is it possible to boot off usb?

Small changes to kernel (updated wifi module) but mostly it is updates to the rootfs.

And yes, you could boot off USB, you would just need to re-create the boot image with the new device path, and edit /etc/fstab to point to the right device as well.