StreakDroid 1.8.1 ( aka Bug Extermination Edition ) Release Post

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest 35354464
Wifi/Cell Data still working, settings are still "sticking". Although, I do believe I lost the fps tweak that steve added way back, but no big for me. Anyone else try the above? How did it go for you?

The tweak is included in the option "volboost". However, it limits to 37fps but not 45fps. i hope Steve can fix it later on.

Guest wedee
ok; locale problem is gone now.

but I still have the problem of not being able to create home screen shortcuts from within an application.

I believe this is a general problem; not specific to me. because I have wiped all data and installed 1.8.1 without perfmod over an old rom with no perfmod.

can anyone please confirm that homescreen shortcuts can't be created from apps ? for example, profile activation shortcut of Audio Manager...

If you are using ADWLauncher and are not able to create home screen shortcuts.....

1. Settings

2. Applications

3. Manage Applications

4. Choose Running tab

5. Select ADW.Launcher

6. I "clear data" first, then "Clear Defaults"... but you may want to try just clearing the default first....

I am able to create shortcuts and modify existing shortcuts again....

**Edit: What caused me the issue was that I played around with several themes I downloaded for ADW from the market.....

Edited by wedee

Guest XsCode

Miren creates it's shortcut just fine, therefore it must be a problem with audiomanager when used on 1.8.1

I can create regular shortcuts. Just can't create them from within Audio Manager.

Guest mrmrmrmr
What does that even mean "creating short cuts from within an application."??

some applications can create home screen shortcuts for some of their features.

For example, remote VNC can create shortcut for direct connection to a host defined on its settings.

Also, Audio Manager can create shortcut for its profiles.

This was working in StreakDroid 1.6.1, but not in 1.8.1

I don't understand why...

Only Steve can comment, but I can't see any update from him...

Guest BiboTheClown
anybody have any news updates on the ad-hoc problem?

Yep finally got the AR Drone working on my Streak. Used the following :

1- Connect on the AR Drone Adhoc network with another device than the Streak (on my test with a laptop with Wifi adapter)

2- Telnet the Drone (192.168.1.1), and enter the following at prompt :

iwconfig ath0 mode managed essid ardronenetwork;ifconfig ath0 192.168.100.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up;route add default gw 192.168.100.1

You'll then loose the connection as the Drone is now configured to connect on ardronenetwork AP with @IP 192.168.100.3/255.255.255.0

3- Create an AP (WEP, ESSID=ardronenetwork). I configured this one on an ethernet wifi adapter (Alfa). The IP parameter for this card were: 192.168.100.1 / 255.255.255.0

4- Connect on the AP with the Streak, if you have any way to check the associated stations on the ardronenetwork AP, check that you have both Streak and AR Drone connected on it.

In my test, the Streak was connected on ardronenetwork with 192.168.100.2, and the ARDrone with 192.168.100.3

5- Get AR.Pro lite from Android Market. Start it, and in Preferences - Network Information - Drone IP Address, set 192.168.100.3.

Then you should be able to connect to the Drone in AR.Pro.

Yes, this is a bit ugly as it involves another AP (with only one possibe advantage : the wifi range can be extended to 200m with a good AP :( ).

Opened question :

Would it be possible to configure the Streak as AP itself ?

Guest alexmoi
Yep finally got the AR Drone working on my Streak. Used the following :

1- Connect on the AR Drone Adhoc network with another device than the Streak (on my test with a laptop with Wifi adapter)

2- Telnet the Drone (192.168.1.1), and enter the following at prompt :

iwconfig ath0 mode managed essid ardronenetwork;ifconfig ath0 192.168.100.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up;route add default gw 192.168.100.1

You'll then loose the connection as the Drone is now configured to connect on ardronenetwork AP with @IP 192.168.100.3/255.255.255.0

3- Create an AP (WEP, ESSID=ardronenetwork). I configured this one on an ethernet wifi adapter (Alfa). The IP parameter for this card were: 192.168.100.1 / 255.255.255.0

4- Connect on the AP with the Streak, if you have any way to check the associated stations on the ardronenetwork AP, check that you have both Streak and AR Drone connected on it.

In my test, the Streak was connected on ardronenetwork with 192.168.100.2, and the ARDrone with 192.168.100.3

5- Get AR.Pro lite from Android Market. Start it, and in Preferences - Network Information - Drone IP Address, set 192.168.100.3.

Then you should be able to connect to the Drone in AR.Pro.

Yes, this is a bit ugly as it involves another AP (with only one possibe advantage : the wifi range can be extended to 200m with a good AP :( ).

Opened question :

Would it be possible to configure the Streak as AP itself ?

That can be a band aid until we can get the problem of streak not connecting to any ad hoc network at all.

Checked out the way your talking about. Seems simple. My only prob is when it comes to the networking. It's the only part of computing that i'm not to savy with.

I got a WRT54G router that i installed DD-WRT firmware on it so i can change it into a AP. Only problem is when i try to set it up. I can't seem to connect wireless pc to my AP to test connection. Tried to follow online guides but this firmware is very detailed.

As for a router as a AP. People have used a battery in the field and use it. So having to bring a router around with me to get it working is not that bad.

B.T.W. how are the controls and camera feed? Had tried it with an ipod touch last week and the video was choppy and controls slow and laggy. And controlling it through the pc is the same. I have a quad core with 8 gb of ram so it can't be a speed problem. So just wanted to know the quality with the AP setup.

Guest XsCode

Like I said, Miren created a shortcut without problems...

For example, remote VNC can create shortcut for direct connection to a host defined on its settings.

Guest mrmrmrmr
Like I said, Miren created a shortcut without problems...

maybe Miren is using another method.

I've tried AudioManager, remoteVNC, remoteRDP so far. all failed.

it's not only me. As you've read there are others who have the same problem.

Guest itsjdmyo

does anyone know why i lose internet connection when i turn off my screen? for example, i have AIM, and when i turn off my screen, it signs me off because i lose internet connectivity. is there a way to keep the internet connectivity ON while i turn off my screen? i know there is an option for wifi, but i'm using 3G. i notice this happening after i flashed 1.8.1 =/

Guest rebski

I am having far too many instability issues and am looking to find the best way to achieve a ‘clean install’ of 1.8.1 and would appreciate advice.

The options I have found are either

@Hans A.

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/333...post/page/280/#

Revert to Dell 2.2

Install Steve’s 1.8.1

or

@isimme

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=365

Use QDL Tool to wipe the phone

Revert to Steve’s 1.5.1

Install Steve’s 1.8.1

At this point I would welcome opinions on these and any other procedures, if anyone has suggestions?

Guest fards

I guess Steve hasn't commented because no-one else who's involved can replicate it..

I can create shortcuts from miren browser fine, which means that its unlikely to be an issue with the rom, and to be honest is such a minor issue that it doesn't even bear investigating never mind the continual complaining and posting about it

Edited by fards

Guest alert_bri
rebski, don't use qdltool unless you absolutely have to.

Flash 319 or 318 then 181 straight over the top

... and then copy libskagl to libskaGL? From memory - what did that fix again?

Cheers

Brian

Guest rebski
rebski, don't use qdltool unless you absolutely have to.

Flash 319 or 318 then 181 straight over the top

Thanks, I shall do as you say.

I am currently on Clockwork Recovery. Is there a benefit to switching to StreakMod Recovery now?

Just so as to keep information together and tidy in case it helps others:-

318 => retail version

319 => O2 customized version

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...384/318-vs-319/

O2 319

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProduc...19_12792_21.pkg

Edit O2 319 didn't work so I used Dell 318 instead

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProduc...18_12821_00.pkg

Edited by rebski

Guest frankquattrone
Thanks, I shall do as you say.

I am currently on Clockwork Recovery. Is there a benefit to switching to StreakMod Recovery now?

Just so as to keep information together and tidy in case it helps others:-

318 => retail version

319 => O2 customized version

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...384/318-vs-319/

O2 319

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProduc...19_12792_21.pkg

I was having all kinds of restarting problems on 1.8.1 so I followed Hans A.'s instructions and haven't run into any problems at all since. I used Clockwork and used whatever version of 2.2 Hans A linked in his post. Granted, it's only been a day but no restarts and the phone has been on for up to 9 hrs straight (I've turned off and on myself a couple of times though). I did avoid installing Perfmod based on the advice from Fards. On the Libskia question, it fixes the crashing of the browser on Wikipedia and some other sites. Good luck.

Guest Stevewt
I was having all kinds of restarting problems on 1.8.1 so I followed Hans A.'s instructions and haven't run into any problems at all since. I used Clockwork and used whatever version of 2.2 Hans A linked in his post. Granted, it's only been a day but no restarts and the phone has been on for up to 9 hrs straight (I've turned off and on myself a couple of times though). I did avoid installing Perfmod based on the advice from Fards. On the Libskia question, it fixes the crashing of the browser on Wikipedia and some other sites. Good luck.

I've spent all weekend trying to get a clean version of 1.8.1. I did a nandroid backup, then tried all the methods posted here including QDL tool, 309 recovery, 1.5.1 and up, etc. Each method worked exactly as described and resulted in a functioning 1.81 that seemed stable. I didn't have the problems of the random reboots, but I was unable to clear the 2 problems I was hoping to remove. Those are 1) no sound after a reboot, and 2) switching from cell data to wifi or the other way around sometimes loses data connectivity. I've concluded those 2 items are just characteristic of this ROM.

Guest Hans A.

I have no problems with sound after a reboot.

Could it be something you are restoring from nandroid backup?

Did you test without restoring after the clean install?

I've spent all weekend trying to get a clean version of 1.8.1. I did a nandroid backup, then tried all the methods posted here including QDL tool, 309 recovery, 1.5.1 and up, etc. Each method worked exactly as described and resulted in a functioning 1.81 that seemed stable. I didn't have the problems of the random reboots, but I was unable to clear the 2 problems I was hoping to remove. Those are 1) no sound after a reboot, and 2) switching from cell data to wifi or the other way around sometimes loses data connectivity. I've concluded those 2 items are just characteristic of this ROM.

Guest rebski

@frankquattrone

I used Clockwork and used whatever version of 2.2 Hans A linked in his post.

@Stevewt

I've spent all weekend trying to get a clean version of 1.8.1. I did a nandroid backup, then tried all the methods posted here including QDL tool, 309 recovery, 1.5.1 and up, etc. Each method worked exactly as described and resulted in a functioning 1.81 that seemed stable.

Thanks for the input.

My version of ClockworkMod is 1.8.1.7 which is a bit behind the current version 2.5.0.1 so if I am to upgrade that then I might as well consider the advantages of StreakMod instead.

Then there is the issue of compatibility with the Dell 318/319 to be considered. I need to do some reading on that score though to find out more before I start.

This is a strange business, just when I think I am beginning to understand something I realise that actually I don’t.

Guest Hans A.

Yeah, I felt like that for a while too. Now I think I have a better handle on things. Though I'm still perplexed as to why installing a custom ROM doesn't completely wipe the device. There should be no need to install a stock version first.

It's like saying I have to install Windows 95 before I can install Windows 7.

I didn't have any luck with clockwork as a custom rom installer. I switched to streakmod and had no problems.

Remember if you want to back to stock, you have to replace clockwork with recovery image 309, the native stock rom installer so it can read the update.pkg file.

Also, the consensus seems to avoid perfmod.

@frankquattrone

@Stevewt

Thanks for the input.

My version of ClockworkMod is 1.8.1.7 which is a bit behind the current version 2.5.0.1 so if I am to upgrade that then I might as well consider the advantages of StreakMod instead.

Then there is the issue of compatibility with the Dell 318/319 to be considered. I need to do some reading on that score though to find out more before I start.

This is a strange business, just when I think I am beginning to understand something I realise that actually I don’t.

Guest Stevewt
@frankquattrone

@Stevewt

Thanks for the input.

Just remember to flash the 309 recovery before flashing 318/319. Then switch back to streakmod to flash one of steve's.

Guest Stevewt
I have no problems with sound after a reboot.

Could it be something you are restoring from nandroid backup?

Did you test without restoring after the clean install?

No I had this problem after a clean install using each posted method. This was one of the issues I was trying to resolve by doing a clean install. I should clarify that the sound would function once I pressed the volume key a couple of times. It's not that sound was not functional, just that it was turned off after a reboot. For example if I reboot, my phone wouldn't ring when called until I fiddled with the volume level.

This issue was made more frustrating because of the data connectivity issue. If I'm on wifi and then go to leave home and turn off wifi, I don't have data on the cell system until I reboot with wifi turned off. That solves that problem but I've got the volume issue...... just frustrating.

Guest Hans A.

Did you try flashing the baseband?

That might resolve your data problem.

The sound one is a strange one.

No I had this problem after a clean install using each posted method. This was one of the issues I was trying to resolve by doing a clean install. I should clarify that the sound would function once I pressed the volume key a couple of times. It's not that sound was not functional, just that it was turned off after a reboot. For example if I reboot, my phone wouldn't ring when called until I fiddled with the volume level.

This issue was made more frustrating because of the data connectivity issue. If I'm on wifi and then go to leave home and turn off wifi, I don't have data on the cell system until I reboot with wifi turned off. That solves that problem but I've got the volume issue...... just frustrating.

Guest rebski
Though I'm still perplexed as to why installing a custom ROM doesn't completely wipe the device. There should be no need to install a stock version first.

Yes me too. I am used to formatting my hard disk and then a clean install of Windows. And it is a process akin to that which I am looking for here.

I didn't have any luck with clockwork as a custom rom installer. I switched to streakmod and had no problems.

Although I have been fine with my old version of ClockworkMod but I shall replace it now with StreakMod.

Remember if you want to back to stock, you have to replace clockwork with recovery image 309, the native stock rom installer so it can read the update.pkg file.

Thank you for that, it is exactly the information I needed. I have found the file and fards Thread here

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...recovery-image/

Also, the consensus seems to avoid perfmod.

Thanks for the reminder.

This is all very clarifying and helpful, much appreciated.

Guest Stevewt
Did you try flashing the baseband?

That might resolve your data problem.

The sound one is a strange one.

Yes I flashed the post 1.5.1 baseband. I really tried to do my homework and spent a few hours here and on XDA figuring out the various methods to do a clean install to see if I could solve these two issues. I've been lucky and haven't had a single problem updating Steve's rom for the last half dozen releases or so, and haven't needed to reinstall all my apps etc. Which reminds me, during this experiment I also flashed clean and then tried to reinstall my apps using both Titanium and MyBackup Pro. The 2 issues remain.

Based upon some of the posts I've seen I'm beginning to wonder of there are different hardware configurations of the Streak. Some folks have really unique issues and rom responses with their streaks which few others can reproduce. Maybe Dell uses different components during assembly at various times and this causes no problems with the stock roms, but can cause rare issues with custom roms with certain streaks that have certain components.