Advent Vega £250 v iPad £329

Guest jellywobbles

Guest dfghggfgfd
Just wonder how many "potential" new Vega users will shell out £79 more & buy an iPad, which is now selling @ £329 - a £100 price drop!

Never ever, trading a Android-device for an Ipad is like trading freedom for prison.

Guest Ter4a

Im an android fan too, and I love my Vega. Never had an IoS device, But when I see how many Ipad specific apps are out there on the appstore, and how many tablet apps we have, I feel a bit jealous for ipads.

I think android still needs a bit(!) more time to bring the real tablet experience. Now the hardware is given, flocks of tablets are out and coming, including very good ones. But honestly the tab specific software side is more than disappointing :(

if you see this way,I think a lot would consider switching...

Guest Sillothian

I'll have to admit having on first hearing of the Ipad 1 price drop I was beginning to wonder if I done the right thing buying a Vega two days earlier. I realised though that without Flash support the Ipad would be a waste of time for me. I bought the Vega mainly for surfing, maybe a bit of Kindle and course Angry Birds ;-)

Web surfing will be my main use though and not having Flash would be useless. Plus I'm not the biggest fan of iTunes on Windows, even though I have to tolerate it for my iPod Classic. The iPad certainly has a much better screen though and although the widescreen form factor of the Vega is better for watch videos.

The iPad probably has a bigger range of high profile apps and loads of fancy games to play, but that isn't what I wanted a tablet for. In fact I only really got the Vega as something to mess about with. £249 seemed a fair price for the machine given it has a quite decent specification, plus the Android Market is full of plenty of freebie apps that will keep me occupied when I'm not surfing the web :-D

Guest Stormbringer2010

I was going to buy an Ipad when they first came out and I went to the store expecting to be able to pick one up, but guess what they had none in stock...

So I came back home with my £600. I was put off with them advertising something they were not able to sell me, I could have one in 3 weeks.. bugger that.

Now the Ipad has been out what a year or so. I already have an Iphone 4 32GB so I wanted to experence android and also be able to plug in my USB harddrive with all my movies on when I go on holiday.

So the Vega was a no brainer in my opinion, I knw it has issues if you do not look at it on the right angle but there will be only me watching them as GF will be asleep.

I have used my iphone 4 to watch films but I dont like thew small screen and an Ipad would not allow me to take my collection of movies with me on holiday I would have to choose only a few.

Vega wins hands down again thanks to Usb, I will still be able to access the same wifi as I would with an Ipad so no winner there.

As for apps and games, well I dont really play games lots so that does not bother me and also now I have seen some of the apps, no winner there also for me.

So

I have bought the machine I want and saved nearly £200, more to spend next time i'm on holiday :(

Guest tabor56

I was planning on getting a Vega, but I am now debating getting an ipad. don't get me wrong, I love android. but thats a great price....

hmm decisions....

Guest HunteronX
I was planning on getting a Vega, but I am now debating getting an ipad. don't get me wrong, I love android. but thats a great price....

hmm decisions....

The only thing that is better than the Vega with the iPad is its screen and more dedicated apps.

If you are talking about the iPad 2 - it's the back camera, screen and more dedicated apps. That's it.

If the screen is important to you, buy an iPad. But I wouldn't do so if you need other features like a usb host connection, hdmi-out (without an extra cable) etc.

Edited by HunteronX

Guest tabor56

If the Vega had Honeycomb, I would get it for sure. I don't know what my tablet needs are really. I guess it will just be a netbook replacement.

Guest andycap

Hi.

I have had me Vega since batch 4 i think, and find it great for doing a lot of things but have 2 weeks ago got an ipad. I will not part with my vega and can see that both devices have their merits. Vega is great for watching movies but sound is quite poor, Ipad is ok for watching movies and sound is a lot better.

Vega is great for keeping prying eyes off what you are doing, Ipad is great for sharing what you are doing.

Remember the Vega is pretty poor at most things with its standard rom and you could not plug a usb device in with the standard rom. The vega was made great by people like Paul with the mods.

As far as Ipad limitations, remember there is such a thing as jailbreak, also the plugin camera adaptor will accept most usb storage devices.

Swings and roundabouts....

Guest peebsie

I got sick of all the small problems that come with the vega and the fact that the official accessories are on par with apple prices so sold one of the vegas on ebay. I will be keeping the second vega in the hope that honeycomb arrives and fixes the problems it has but to see me through till that time i bought one of the £329 ipads this morning.

Guest moghm

Really confused now. Got the price of a refurb Ipad from teh US down to £214. Want honeycomb, but how long will I have to wait until its ported on the vega or will it ever be ported on the vega. Seriously not an apple fan, but £214 for a very polished hardware/software machine and by jailbreaking it you can put flash on it, etc. I am very tempted at this stage. Plus the vega will never compete with the Ipad screen. Duty and shipping not an issue as my sister lives in US.

Guest ian webster

Hi (first post here)..

I had (have) an iPad 1 and I am giving it up to a colleague in favour of my Vega. somebody described the apple experience perfectlt to me.. " Things are either really easy to do or totally impossible" I found that i was coming up against the totally impossible far to often for my liking. IMO the apple has some advantages, the screen, the build quality.. but I really appreciate the standard connectors on the advent, it makes it really easy to integrate with other equipment etc. Also the Android 2.2 experience on the tablet format is much better that I might have hoped for, like other though I am interested to see when honeyComb will make it to the Vega.

I find it really interesting to read this forum and I really appreciate the efforts of all concerned in releasing ROMs and upgrades etc.

Guest ramfan007

I was seduced by the mac book pro a few years ago, but only after I knew I could run windows on it. The machine itself oozes quality, but I never use the mac OS becuase its just too restrictive. For example I use hotmail and yahoo for my e-mail. Can I set it up using the mac standard email app - no I have to set up a mac e-mail account, which I aint doing as Ive had my e-mail for years.

The ipad is just another example of the short sightedness of apple, they build amazing quality products, but then kill most of their potential market. Would I spend £70 extra on a ipad if it supported flash, had HDMI out, USB and allowed me to use more than just their brand of products, absoloutly. But I cant, so it doesn't matter how well its built or how smooth it is, ill put up with slightly lesser quality as long as it works and does what I want and not what the manufacturer thinks I should be able to do.

Edited by ramfan007

Guest schprlock

I don't know if nobody else sees it or if nobody wants to see it. The iPad at €100 would still be much more expensive than any android tablet.

You see, Apple has great hardware and great software. But it's Apple and Apple only. They say they don't support Flash because its proprietary, but if you want to see the iPad 2 launch video you have to have quicktime. They say the iPad is "Post PC", but you can't even use it if you don't have a PC or Mac (which really, after evolving from motorola 68000 to PowerPC to x86, is really a PC with OSX instead of Windows or Linux) running iTunes. And if you want to develop for Apple, you need a Mac (Android even has the AppInventor which allows anybody who never wrote a line of code to create applications on the platform they want).

It is true that every tablet is too expensive. Samsung said it itself when they announced they are considering a price reduction for the Galaxy Tab 10.1"). But Apple would still make more money than Samsung, Motorola or Advent if they gave away the iPad.

When you buy a tablet from, say, Motorola, the money they get is the money they charge for the tablet. Software that people will buy will give money to developers and Google (nothing wrong about that). People buy accessories for Android tablets from several companies, mainly cheap Chinese stuff and eBay. Where if you get an iPad, you shell out €4.99 (not that expensive, I give them that) for movie editors and music studios, and all money goes to Apple. If they want to connect a guitar to the iPad, they give money to Apple. If they want to use HDMI, free on the Vega, for example, they pay more money to Apple.

Apple uses the Gillette business model. Cheap first investment, but really expensive "blades". And they need those blades. Microsoft lost money on every original XBox sold, but it certainly paid off on games and royalties. Everything Apple fanboys (no offense, I am using the term broadly) buy is Apple. Yes, it works, but it is quite limited, expensive and, in my opinion, common.

I have no issue with people who want Apple products. They don't care what they are getting, as long as it's Apple. Personally, as a computer literate and power user, I want the freedom to do with my Desktop, Smartphone and tablet whatever I want, choose the software and hardware I want and create my own applications whenever, however, wherever I want.

Google is not without it's flaws, I could write a thesis on that, but it gives us freedom of choice, and I choose that. The business model makes it hard for hardware developers to profit while maintaining prices competitive, but for me a 10x more expensive Android tablet, or even WindowsCE/Phone 7 would still be cheaper and preferable to a free iPad.

Guest simonta
I don't know if nobody else sees it or if nobody wants to see it. The iPad at €100 would still be much more expensive than any android tablet.

You see, Apple has great hardware and great software. But it's Apple and Apple only. They say they don't support Flash because its proprietary, but if you want to see the iPad 2 launch video you have to have quicktime. They say the iPad is "Post PC", but you can't even use it if you don't have a PC or Mac (which really, after evolving from motorola 68000 to PowerPC to x86, is really a PC with OSX instead of Windows or Linux) running iTunes. And if you want to develop for Apple, you need a Mac (Android even has the AppInventor which allows anybody who never wrote a line of code to create applications on the platform they want).

It is true that every tablet is too expensive. Samsung said it itself when they announced they are considering a price reduction for the Galaxy Tab 10.1"). But Apple would still make more money than Samsung, Motorola or Advent if they gave away the iPad.

When you buy a tablet from, say, Motorola, the money they get is the money they charge for the tablet. Software that people will buy will give money to developers and Google (nothing wrong about that). People buy accessories for Android tablets from several companies, mainly cheap Chinese stuff and eBay. Where if you get an iPad, you shell out €4.99 (not that expensive, I give them that) for movie editors and music studios, and all money goes to Apple. If they want to connect a guitar to the iPad, they give money to Apple. If they want to use HDMI, free on the Vega, for example, they pay more money to Apple.

Apple uses the Gillette business model. Cheap first investment, but really expensive "blades". And they need those blades. Microsoft lost money on every original XBox sold, but it certainly paid off on games and royalties. Everything Apple fanboys (no offense, I am using the term broadly) buy is Apple. Yes, it works, but it is quite limited, expensive and, in my opinion, common.

I have no issue with people who want Apple products. They don't care what they are getting, as long as it's Apple. Personally, as a computer literate and power user, I want the freedom to do with my Desktop, Smartphone and tablet whatever I want, choose the software and hardware I want and create my own applications whenever, however, wherever I want.

Google is not without it's flaws, I could write a thesis on that, but it gives us freedom of choice, and I choose that. The business model makes it hard for hardware developers to profit while maintaining prices competitive, but for me a 10x more expensive Android tablet, or even WindowsCE/Phone 7 would still be cheaper and preferable to a free iPad.

Right on brother. I don't often go all religuous, but I do so hate Apple, and I'm a Mac owner! (although, like many, it spends more time running Windows than OSX). This news item kind of sums up all that is grim for me in Jobsland...

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2011/03/04/oper...e-but-rated-17/

Guest vinsterb

Hey all

bought my vega at Dixons Duty Free for 207 pound

Bargain, but struggling with getting usb sorted and Android Market

Vinny

Guest schprlock
Has there actually been any mention of Honeycomb for Vega? if i knew it was definitely coming I would 100% get one.

The possibility has been mentioned... Comments have been mostly about "low" resolution and "little" memory. I'm almost sure I read it here in the forums. If not, it's in xda-developers.

Guest dragon2611
android vs ios, always goes to android!

Love android now but my first experiance of it was on an i7500 which ended up annoying me to the point that I ended up with a blackberry for a while.

Came back to android with a pulse mini a cheap device with a terrible screen but there were some decent roms it wasnt bad but I still wanted more

And then there was the blade which I still use now. The thing I love most about android is the community support and development that often turns a mediocre device (usually due to crappy bloated stock roms) into an awesome one.

Face it the Vega is pretty crappy in the stock configuration unless people know how to get the market on it they're missing out on so much

Typed on my advent vega

Guest rferrett

Like anything though it is horses for courses.

We are a self selecting tech savy community. Pretty much by definition if you are a member of MoDaCo then you have probably expressed some sort of interest in hacking your phone. People like us are always going to prefer Android to IOS and for obvious reasons.

That does not say anything to the relative merits of the Vega vs the iPad1. Tegra is great, love having an SD slot but really I find it hard to argue that the iPad *as a whole* isn't a better bit of kit. I wouldn't want one myself due to inherant software limitations but it is a tidy bit of kit.

Me i'll stick with my Vega whilst i get my "early adopter" bug out of my system and maybe look to get a premium third Gen Android tab at Xmas when 3.1 or 3.2 comes out. On the other hand if Advent bring out an incremental upgrade (Vega 2 anyone?) with maybe a slightly better screen, res, extra 512 ram and a 3G module I might be tempted to stick with the devil I know!

I bet HTC having finished the flyer will release a kick ass Honeycomb 10" tablet for Xmas.... jus sayin....

Guest steviesteve

The question that nobody is asking is "What advantages/extras would the iPad give that the vega doesnt?"

I cant think of a single one!

Guest rferrett

Look I despise apple as much as the next Android "FanBoi"....

But, really the iPad has better viewing angles, higher res screen, no double touch issues, longer battery life, works out of the box, your nan could work one, many more tablet optimised apps, many more apps.

None of those things for me makes up for the fact that it is a walled garden closed ecosystem. But I would find it very hard to argue against any of them.

Guest rcciren
Look I despise apple as much as the next Android "FanBoi"....

But, really the iPad has better viewing angles, higher res screen, no double touch issues, longer battery life, works out of the box, your nan could work one, many more tablet optimised apps, many more apps.

None of those things for me makes up for the fact that it is a walled garden closed ecosystem. But I would find it very hard to argue against any of them.

I'm with you all the way, rferret. My girlfriend swears by her iPad. She love it because it just works. I've been in the PC industry for over 20 years and that has ALWAYS been Apples strength (and some would argue weakness). They have ALWAYS built their business around closed eco-systems and there will ALWAYS be people out there that go for that... and when they fire-sale all the iPad1s (it's happening - the guy in Curry's last night tried to flog me one at £319 for 16G, Wifi version!), there'll be a lot more people that go along for that particular easy ride. The good news for the likes of us is that there's always "subversives" that'd give the self-proclaimed sector leaders a jab in the side - and plenty of people to help them do it! ;-)