Building a kernel?

Guest Frankish

Guest jt_mcg
Thank you. I'll tke a look at that, I hope I get it running, I've been at it for hours...

Best of luck, you'll get it eventually!!

Guest jt_mcg
from the output of split_bootimg.pl, when you use it to split an image it spits the command line out in the terminal

I'm going to have to get that instead, I have unpack-bootimage.pl from somewhere and I don't think it gives any notifications in the terminal.

Inspired by this thread I followed the instructions on this website:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...enMod_for_Blade

I now have a zip file called 'update-cm-7.0.0-RC1-Blade-KANG-signed.zip'

I have two questions really....!

1. Despite being called RC1, will this be as up to date as Nightly 13 (I repo synced this afternoon before compiling)

2. Am I safe to try this firmware? That is, worse case, am I going to brick the phone or can I just re-flash with a known working Firmware?

Many thanks

Martin.

Guest hecatae
Inspired by this thread I followed the instructions on this website:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...enMod_for_Blade

I now have a zip file called 'update-cm-7.0.0-RC1-Blade-KANG-signed.zip'

I have two questions really....!

1. Despite being called RC1, will this be as up to date as Nightly 13 (I repo synced this afternoon before compiling)

2. Am I safe to try this firmware? That is, worse case, am I going to brick the phone or can I just re-flash with a known working Firmware?

Many thanks

Martin.

that's a self build of nightly 13 plus whatever has been added before you repo synced.

you can repo sync -j16 and brunch blade every day to grab the latest build, I do exactly this every time I want to try cm7, worst case scenario you would re-flash with another firmware

that's a self build of nightly 13 plus whatever has been added before you repo synced.

you can repo sync -j16 and brunch blade every day to grab the latest build, I do exactly this every time I want to try cm7, worst case scenario you would re-flash with another firmware

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Gonna give it a go and see what happens!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frankish

I decided to have a go at this now baby is getting settled in and i'm stuck with this error.

I run make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$CCOMPILER

and i get

scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig

CHK	 include/linux/version.h

make[1]: `include/asm-arm/mach-types.h' is up to date.

CHK	 include/linux/utsrelease.h

SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-arm

CC	  kernel/bounds.s

cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mlittle-endian"

cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mabi=aapcs-linux"

cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mno-thumb-interwork"

kernel/bounds.c:1: error: bad value (armv5t) for -march= switch

kernel/bounds.c:1: error: bad value (strongarm) for -mtune= switch

make[1]: *** [kernel/bounds.s] Error 1

make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

Nevermind the guide i was using was missing a step...seems to be going now!

Edited by Frankish

Guest hecatae
Stuck again. Can't repack the boot.img, tried repack-bootimg.pl and also manual mkbootimg. Doesn't work with ./mkbootimg either.

i search for mkbootimg and drop it in the same folder as the boot.img I'm trying to build, what command are you using?

Guest Frankish
i search for mkbootimg and drop it in the same folder as the boot.img I'm trying to build, what command are you using?

That's exactly what i have done...

mkbootimg –base 0x2A00000 –cmdline ‘androidboot.hardware=blade console=ttyMSM2,115200 g_android.product_id=0×1354′ –kernel zImage –ramdisk boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz -o boot.img

and the error is

mkbootimg: command not found

Also tried with

./mkbootimg –base 0x2A00000 –cmdline ‘androidboot.hardware=blade console=ttyMSM2,115200 g_android.product_id=0×1354′ –kernel zImage –ramdisk boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz -o boot.img

and that errors with

usage: mkbootimg

--kernel <filename>

--ramdisk <filename>

[ --second <2ndbootloader-filename> ]

[ --cmdline <kernel-commandline> ]

[ --board <boardname> ]

[ --base <address> ]

-o|--output <filename>

Guest hecatae
./mkbootimg --base 0x2A00000 --kernel zImage --ramdisk boot.img-ramdisk.gz --cmdline 'androidboot.hardware=blade console=ttyMSM2,115200 g_android.product_id=0x1354' -o boot.img

or

./mkbootimg --base 0x2A00000 --kernel zImage --ramdisk boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz --cmdline 'androidboot.hardware=blade console=ttyMSM2,115200 g_android.product_id=0x1354' -o boot.img

it's asking

what's the kernel

what's the ramdisk

what's the cmdline

and they have to be in that order

Edited by hecatae

Guest Sebastian404

you can totally skip the --cmdline part, you dont really need that..

It also seems you have smartquotes around the cmdline parms, unless thats something the forum has done, you just need standard quotes.

Guest hecatae
you can totally skip the --cmdline part, you dont really need that..

It also seems you have smartquotes around the cmdline parms, unless thats something the forum has done, you just need standard quotes.

if you skip the cmd part, adb does not work on cm7 or honeycomb

Guest Sebastian404
if you skip the cmd part, adb does not work on cm7 or honeycomb

let me re=phrase that....

if you skip the cmd part does the mkbootimg command still work?

The other thing I noticed are you getting the case for your files right? 'zImage' is not the same as 'zimage'

Guest Frankish
let me re=phrase that....

if you skip the cmd part does the mkbootimg command still work?

The other thing I noticed are you getting the case for your files right? 'zImage' is not the same as 'zimage'

Yes i fully understand that it's all case sensitive but really thanks for trying, you never know with some people :D

EDIT:

Ok i now have a boot.img. The second quote of hecatae's above worked, as i suspected it just needs re-ordering. I will test if it boots :(

I always though i was at least "ok" with using terminal and Ubuntu but i have learned today i'm really not :( Thanks for the help guys! Fantastic stuff.

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

It works too which is good.

Now i'm sure i don't have to download the source every time i want to compile say toms blade kernel, but how exactly do i just update it with changes?

Guest Sebastian404
It works too which is good.

Now i'm sure i don't have to download the source every time i want to compile say toms blade kernel, but how exactly do i just update it with changes?

'repo sync'

Guest Frankish

It's a great feeling. I literally have no need for it i just wanted to see if i could do it. However i suppose it would come in useful for getting fixes as soon as they are made. Not tried building the full rom from source yet but don't imagine that's too hard? :D