[KERNEL] Buzz Vega | .32.35 | CIFS | TUN | EXT4 | SLAB | NOOP | WiFi | NTFS | HOST/SLAVE | 0.7

Guest Buzing Bee

Guest the_corvus
thanks corvus..

yes I installed using CWM.....!!

last buzz .5 kernel

I was try connectbot and su>busybox mount /dev/block/sda1 .../mnt/usbdisk then give me answer unknown fiel or directory...

yes I use ext partition limk2sd but in the setting > storage give me less storage are butat my htc hd2 app2sd sd-ext I have install about 50-60 application...:D

just try boot again.. :(

If it gives you unknown file or directory you may not be in host mode...

exec in connectbot:

su

busybox uname -a

and show us what returns...

And put your ntfs disk and in connectbot exec:

su

dmesg

and must see some messages with sda and sda1 info.

If you dont get any message about sda, you are not in host mode.

Corvus.

Guest Diveokidoki

Any one,

Can you pls answer this for me...KERNEL VERSION 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2_slave this is in the About Device listed is this correct???

Thanks

Jeff

Guest the_corvus
Any one,

Can you pls answer this for me...KERNEL VERSION 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2_slave this is in the About Device listed is this correct???

Thanks

Jeff

no, this is modaco's kernel...

Corvus.

Guest ezynow

Hi,

Being very new to android. Can you seperate graphics drivers from the rom/kernel so as to allow manually updates or is it an integrated chipset so required by initial boot stage. Do you have to flash a new rom everytime do update graphics drivers? Not sure if this makes sense.

Cheers for the good work.

Guest Diveokidoki

I found the sollution to change the Kernal from slave to host holding the USB app select host and reboot, I hope the rest of trouble shooting goes as smooth.

Jeff

Any one,

Thanks

Jeff

Guest rilot

I just tested an Xbox game pad. Its detected by the kernel and seems to work.

Just need a way to parse the commands from it in to games/apps now.

Guest Littleun
How is everyone finding the latest kernel speed wise ?

Been using your kernels since you started and speed wise this one seems the fastest and smoothest. Using adw launcher and the transitions are smooth, also using dolphin browser scrolling is smooth. The only time i have issues is when my vega runs out of ram.

Also, big thanks for the BSOD fix, was having issues switching usb modes which has now gone. Only things that need sorting to make this even better are better flash support (10.2 official release?) and a fix for the 50% max volume which i guess is out of your scope.

Keep up the great work, without guys like you our vega's would be merely ordinary!

Guest Vansphone

I am not at all technical but I have followed this thread and sometimes I have even understand what is going on. :D

Should I wait for this kernal to be included in a rom update (like r9?) or is it safe for me to try to install it on me Vega now?

Guest the_corvus
Nobody tell me where the tun module is located?

thanks

It must be in /system/lib/modules

or you can use connecbot and do:

su

busybox find . -name tun.ko

Corvus.

Guest Sir Gash
Tried that, no joy.

I've looked at cat /dev/input/js0 and am seeing what I would expect when I press buttons etc but that IME doesn't seem to take those inputs.

I'll have a play tonight and see if I can work it out.

I don't know if it will help but you need a module called joydev.ko, is this what is included in 0.5 to provide compatibility? I had trouble finding a suitable version of this (before the kernel updates) so let us know if you make any progress!

Guest rilot

Having looked at this, I think the best way to get the xbox pads working in emulators/games is to re-write xpad.c to produce keyboard presses rather than joystick button presses. I'm looking at this now.

Guest rilot
I don't know if it will help but you need a module called joydev.ko, is this what is included in 0.5 to provide compatibility? I had trouble finding a suitable version of this (before the kernel updates) so let us know if you make any progress!

joydev.ko looks to be in Buzz's source. I've not got my Vega with me at the moment so all I can do is trawl source code and try to work out how to do this.

I expect Buzz will beat me to it anyway as he's waaaaaaaaaay better at this sort of thing anyway.

Guest rilot

I've compiled jstest and I can now see what the axis are doing properly. All axis and buttons are working correctly.

GamepadIME still doesn't like it though. Tried chmod 666 ing the device node but doesn't work.

I think the only way to get this to work in emulators etc, is to change the button mappings in the driver itself to keypresses.

Guest premieral

Since installing this my adw launcher fc keyboard has frozen and screen stopped recognising touch, took three reboots to get it back. Never had a problem before so i can only assume they are related

Guest thwacker

The installation instructions are a bit cryptic.

[install]

1) download zip from below

2) copy to sdcard

3) flash in Clockwork recovery

1) I can manage that.

2) I should be able to do that, but where on the SD card should I store the downloaded rom. Does it matter where? Will I need to be able to find it later or will it be found automatically?

3) Uh! How does exposing myself to the innards of a clock install this rom? Anyway it's too cold, there must be an easier way.

I see that user Boh has asked for simple instructions earlier in this thread. His 1st question is what is ClockworkMod recovery. I too would like to know. What is it? What does it do? Why do I need it? How does it work? Could anyone give some concise answers please? Thanks.

Boh got referred to some further threads on ClockworkMod here and here. But, yikes, they look scary. However this link for VegaTools looks more manageable. It's not obvious at first but this is installed in Windows. Ok, did that. Now what? I can see the SD card of my Vega mounted as a drive on my PC. There's a tab called Recovery in VegaTools. On that page there's a button to install POB's Clockwork Recovery but if I run that I get some messages 'error:device not found'. The same happens if I try to install the Honeycomb boot animation from the Framework tab. Also on the Recovery tab there's a button to download & install Modaco 1.09 custom rom. It downloads OK but when I try to install it, it complains that the rom can't be found.

I've got Paul's R8 rom installed and among my applications I see one called 'Recovery'. Can someone advise how I put his all together please so that I can install this Buzz Vega kernel.

Thanks in advance.

23 Mar

For anyone else searching for information on ClockworkMod Recovery here's an excellent guide called

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]

By Haroon Q. Raja

ClockworkMod – also known as Clockwork and CWM – is a custom recovery for Android phones and tablets that allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations on your Android device that aren’t possible with the stock recovery. All Android devices ship with a recovery console that is basically a partition on the device’s internal memory and can be booted into. The stock recovery of almost all Android devices provides a few basic yet handy options that allow you to factory reset your device and also to recover its operating system using an official ROM in zip format, but that’s all you can do with it. That’s where a custom recovery comes handy.

A custom Android recovery basically replaces the stock recovery with one that lets you do all you can do with the stock recovery, plus a plethora of more options to give you a lot more control on your device. With a custom recovery, you can install official as well as unofficial ROMs as well as other updates including apps, themes, kernels etc. using zip files, wipe not just user data but pretty much every partition on your device, mount the storage card for USB mass storage access without leaving recovery, partition your SD card, wipe Dalvik cache and battery stats, fix permissions, perform, manage and restore backups and so on.

Here's what is covered in the guide:

About Android recovery

Introduction to ClockworkMod

Installing ClockworkMod

Booting into ClockworkMod

Feature tour

Using ClockworkMod for ROM, kernel, apps, theme or mod installation.

Edited by thwacker

Guest rvdgeer
The installation instructions are a bit cryptic.

1) I can manage that.

2) I should be able to do that, but where on the SD card should I store the downloaded rom. Does it matter where? Will I need to be able to find it later or will it be found automatically?

3) Uh! How does exposing myself to the innards of a clock install this rom? Anyway it's too cold, there must be an easier way.

I see that user Boh has asked for simple instructions earlier in this thread. His 1st question is what is ClockworkMod recovery. I too would like to know. What is it? What does it do? Why do I need it? How does it work? Could anyone give some concise answers please? Thanks.

Boh got referred to some further threads on ClockworkMod here and here. But, yikes, they look scary. However this link for VegaTools looks more manageable. It's not obvious at first but this is installed in Windows. Ok, did that. Now what? I can see the SD card of my Vega mounted as a drive on my PC. There's a tab called Recovery in VegaTools. On that page there's a button to install POB's Clockwork Recovery but if I run that I get some messages 'error:device not found'. The same happens if I try to install the Honeycomb boot animation from the Framework tab. Also on the Recovery tab there's a button to download & install Modaco 1.09 custom rom. It downloads OK but when I try to install it, it complains that the rom can't be found.

I've got Paul's R8 rom installed and among my applications I see one called 'Recovery'. Can someone advise how I put his all together please so that I can install this Buzz Vega kernel.

Thanks in advance.

Please don't try to install this kernel!

You need at least some searching and reading skills before you even attempt anything like this...

I know you have posting skills, but I'm affraid they won't help you without the other skills I mentioned...

:(

More serious: there's a lot of info on this forum...

Please read up a little so you understand some of it, like what clockworkmod is, how to flash and how to use it...

You'll probably need it (a lot) later! (To tweak the hell out of your vega.) :D

Although it may not sound like it and you would probably prefer a step by step guide, this really is the best advise you can get!

Guest rvdgeer
I have a method of indicating what USB mode you are in :D doing some tests and ill post it tomorrow some time :(

Wow!

That would be just great!

How will it be indicating the USB mode? A widget?

And, on a side not, is it possible to create an app that will reboot the device to a specific mode?

Like ROM Manager (on my HTC Desire) is able to boot my phone to recovery?