CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Scoopading
I don't want to rain on the party here, but having used N19 for a day, it drained my battery faster than any previous CM7 build. Having had the phone switched on with 3g on and gps/wifi off, and using it for nothing other than 10 minutes of web browsing, the battery is on 10% after only about 10 hours. It spent 95% of the time sitting in my pocket with the screen off. I could finish the day on about 60% after more like 15 hours on all previous builds. I will try calibrating my battery again, as that has helped me in the past when switching ROMs. Also I haven't wiped, so it may well be an issue of my own making.

Yep. When the next nightly comes up give your phone a full wipe and try then. I know it's stating the obvious, but apps which pull data in the background and/or prevent the phone from properly sleeping will also drain power, so you need to be careful of what's running in the background too.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
I'm using N19 and from time to time it turns off on itself. But it doesn't reboot automatically. Anybody else has got this problem?

Pardon me, but what's the difference between the phone "turning itself off on itself" and a reboot ?

Guest Maringer
Pardon me, but what's the difference between the phone "turning itself off on itself" and a reboot ?

A reboot would indicate that the phone restarts. I'd imagine the problem this user is encountering is that the phone is merely switching itself off, without rebooting afterwards.

No such problem here since some of the very early CM Nightlies.

I don't want to rain on the party here, but having used N19 for a day, it drained my battery faster than any previous CM7 build. Having had the phone switched on with 3g on and gps/wifi off, and using it for nothing other than 10 minutes of web browsing, the battery is on 10% after only about 10 hours. It spent 95% of the time sitting in my pocket with the screen off. I could finish the day on about 60% after more like 15 hours on all previous builds. I will try calibrating my battery again, as that has helped me in the past when switching ROMs. Also I haven't wiped, so it may well be an issue of my own making.

As one of those who always complained about fast battery drain most I must say N19

really cured it for me, lost only 3% in about 18 hours, with BT on for 12 hours and

one longer phone call of ca. 7 minutes.

So I'd be inclined to say yes, there must be "something" on your Blade not behaving particularly well.

A reboot would indicate that the phone restarts. I'd imagine the problem this user is encountering is that the phone is merely switching itself off, without rebooting afterwards.

Ok, I read "switches itself off on" as "it switches itself off, then on again"

which is nothing else but a reboot :D

Guest gat2011

battery great last night. 9 hours standby/sleep, 0% drop. (edit -did just drop 5% in 25 mins tho)

wifi a little to erratic. but setting it to 'never' in sleep options seems to have helped.

prox sensor working fine, with ticks.

no problems with volume levels (as some have said)

bt fine with teamwork zip!

launcher smoother.

haven't had any touchscreen freezes.

if you tick 'return to dialer after call' and untick 'force return to call log after call', it still returns to call log. when i go to 'call' it always opens at call log, as well. any way of getting straight to dialer -have tried all the 'tick' options.

Edited by gat2011

Not much to report here, other than that I flashed N19 with the BT fix kernel and left my Blade on Airplane (surely Aeroplane) mode last night and there was 0% battery drop in 8 hours - stayed at 73%. Good work! I am STILL waiting for my screen protector to arrive, at which point I will start testing it properly.

Guest reluctant_traveller
Ok, I read "switches itself off on" as "it switches itself off, then on again"

which is nothing else but a reboot :D

I believe they meant "switches itself off by itself", damn you English language :(

I believe they meant "switches itself off by itself", damn you English language :(

Aaah, yep, that makes sense :D

Guest goatee

I still have the proximity issue, though I've been upgrading without a full wipe since N6 I think. Just done a full wipe, and doing a Ti restore now. .

Guest targetbsp

An update of my battery usage. As I reported yesterday it used 0% in airplane over 7 hours (I carried on after my initial report of 5). Then I used the phone for a while with apps and dropped it to 86%. Then for the rest of the evening it used all of 4% in standby. An overnight airplane of 8 hours used nothing again. During my morning use of the phone it dropped all of 1%. So I'm sat on 81% after almost 24 hours including a period of fairly heavy use last night (I loaded up every app I own to make sure they all work! It wasn't my fault lol. An app update I got broke and I wanted to test all my apps because assumed it was the rom - which it wasn't :( )

Anyway, easily on par with Froyo now. :D

Guest targetbsp
I don't want to rain on the party here, but having used N19 for a day, it drained my battery faster than any previous CM7 build.

Have you checked for partial wakes in spare parts to see if it's an app?

Guest AP707

Are you guys having an issue with lagg when you go the the app screen? When I'm scrolling through my apps the Lag is pretty noticeable, any idea what I've done wrong if anything?

Thanks.

Guest Simon O
raised

Thanks. I've put a mention that the issue has been happening since RC1/RC2 for people. Oddly I've started having the issue on another device running CM7 n19 so I'm thinking it's not a device specific bug but rather one from upstream.

Just so I can be sure if you can't connect to wifi (stuck on assignign IP then disconnects) try rebooting the phone and see if it automatically connects? I've found that this works which is quite weird.

Guest targetbsp
Just so I can be sure if you can't connect to wifi (stuck on assignign IP then disconnects) try rebooting the phone and see if it automatically connects? I've found that this works which is quite weird.

I've found simply toggling the screen off and on with the power fixes that too which is weird.

[edit]

mind you i have a tasker script to disable wifi on screen off and force reconnect on screen on as it seems to help reduce the occurances of the wifi not auto-reconnecting so it could be why a screen off/on toggle fixes it for me!

Edited by targetbsp

Are you guys having an issue with lagg when you go the the app screen? When I'm scrolling through my apps the Lag is pretty noticeable, any idea what I've done wrong if anything?

My observation as well, laggyness appears to have increased with every new nightly,

and I don't have ANY fancy stuff installed.

Guest Amphoras
Of use? (CifsManager)

For apps to ext you need a separate Apps2Ext tool. I use Darktremor, some use simple2ext (and obviously your SD card formatted to have an ext partition!)

Cifs Manager is what I was using. When I try and mount the drive, it says theres no such device. I tried it with a previous ROM that didn't have cifs support and got teh same error message which is why I wondered if that was the problem here. I'll play about with it a bit more and see what happens.

On my old ROM, it seemed to move apps to the ext by itself. It just seemed strange that the ext partition didn't seem to be showing up at all, but it should still be there. I'll try those out and see if they help, thanks.

Guest simonckenyon
Thanks. I've put a mention that the issue has been happening since RC1/RC2 for people. Oddly I've started having the issue on another device running CM7 n19 so I'm thinking it's not a device specific bug but rather one from upstream.

if i reboot it will connect (i'm pretty sure - will have to confirm tonight when i get home - no wifi here in the office)

but if the phone sleeps it disconnects and then when i use it again it will not automatically reconnect

if i tell it to reconnect it will do so immediately

my wife's blade is running sebastian404's de-orangeated ROM

i will check what her phone does

maybe it is a hardware/firmware problem

Guest AP707

I'm currently having an issue, the launcher shortcut on the home screen seems to disappear, so I can the dialer and the browser symbols and the middle button is empty and I have no Idea how to add the launcher shortcut back on my home screen, any help?

Guest Scoopading
I've found simply toggling the screen off and on with the power fixes that too which is weird.
I've mentioned before that wifi would never ever reconnect for me, so I actually installed the Blade Wifi fix on nightly 6. On a later nightly I then set the advanced wifi power options to something other than the default Sleep when screen off - ie Sleep "Never" etc. When I then switched back to the default "When screen off" it then seemed to reconnect for me every time. It's almost as though some setting on the CM7 side of things was broken, and switching the WIFI sleep options back and forth reset something which allowed the wifi to reconnect properly. This was despite the fact I always do a full wipe before any nightly, so it wasn't due to old corrupt settings etc.

I haven't been using the phone enough in the last week or so to make a proper comment on wifi consistency, but thought I'd mention the above because maybe it's related in some way...

Guest simonckenyon
Does anyone know whether the CM7 kernal supports CIFS, and if not is this planned in the future?

#19 has cifs.ko so it should work (for some value of work)

Guest Scoopading
I'm currently having an issue, the launcher shortcut on the home screen seems to disappear, so I can the dialer and the browser symbols and the middle button is empty and I have no Idea how to add the launcher shortcut back on my home screen, any help?
You're using the default ADW launcher? From memory (so... ) you can press the desktop screen like you're going to add a widget. Look and you should see an icon there which looks like the app drawer icon. That should add it back? I think that's how you add it back but, like I said, I'm going on memory.. :D

Guest themighysquitt

Press Menu button on phone, press add icon, press Launcher Action, press Open/close App Draw & then drag into empty space in launcher!!