CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest metal.mickey

im getting random screen freezes on nightly21.

have backed up 21 an reverted to nightly18 which seems pretty stable.

Awesome work, the efforts of all involved are greatly appreciated.

Keep on keepin on.

MM

Guest Blues003
I think people need to provide as many logs as possible for screen freeze and reboot issues now. After that most parts are small fixes and enhancements!

I totally agree. Thing is, I can't have a phone rebooting and freezing all the time, as I need my phone frequently. I have thought about flashing the RC 2 every night and having a logcat run. Problem with that is that if the phone misses its alarm clock, I'm screwed. So I dunno how to contribute regarding this. :\

Guest Rotmann
I totally agree. Thing is, I can't have a phone rebooting and freezing all the time, as I need my phone frequently. I have thought about flashing the RC 2 every night and having a logcat run. Problem with that is that if the phone misses its alarm clock, I'm screwed. So I dunno how to contribute regarding this. :\

You can use your phone normally, even in the nightly, the devs are not so strict. Open terminal emulator and type:

su

logcat -v time > /sdcard/logcat.txt

Press home and let it run. Don't press back because you will kill it.

After it reboots, you'll have in the txt the last events, timestamped. Publish them and maybe the problem is there. I haven't had random reboots since the early days and then I have had only 1-2.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest k0nrad

Go shopping for an el cheapo standalone alarm clock, presto! :D

I'm still on N19, definitely had a few random shutdowns with that and with N18, so it's not a N21 thing.

I guess that putting it down to not wiping/restoring data from system apps is quite accurate.

Tomorrow I'm going to flash whatever the newest Nightly will be with full wipe and really carefull app restoring.

Guest chall32

Here we go then, attached /proc/last_kmsg file from a crash/reboot just after an un-plug from AC charger last night. Was running RC2 + modified kernel from here

last_kmsg.txt

Had a quick look on the CM issue tracker to attach this to but couldn't find anything...

Edited by chall32

Guest Ufufu
You can use your phone normally, even in the nightly, the devs are not so strict. Open terminal emulator and type:

su

After it reboots, you'll have in the txt the last events, timestamped. Publish them and maybe the problem is there. I haven't had random reboots since the early days and then I have had only 1-2.

I was for months on stock Orange ROM, on which I had frequent crashdowns and random reboots.

I got on the CM bandwagon when RC2 was released, and I have not had a single random reboot since then (I wipe everything between updates, Google's app backup option makes it easy).

Edited by Ufufu

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I was for months on stock Orange ROM, on which I had frequent crashdowns and random reboots.

I got on the CM bandwagon when RC2 was released, and I have not had a single random reboot since then (I wipe everything between updates, Google's app backup option makes it easy).

Clearly CM has much higher standards than Orange

Guest Frankish

I wonder how likely it is they will fix the seemingly random screen freezes. The biggest major bug that angers me so much :D

I barely get reboots so that's not a huge issue for me.

Guest mELIANTE

Getting blank screens after calls in all settings combinations. Damn, I was so happy with this. I do relatively long calls, maybe that's the problem? How can such a tiny part be the cause of rending Blade useless as a phone? Damn ZTE!! :D

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
I wonder how likely it is they will fix the seemingly random screen freezes. The biggest major bug that angers me so much :D

I barely get reboots so that's not a huge issue for me.

Perhaps your phone just hates football :(

Guest Ufufu
Getting blank screens after calls in all settings combinations. Damn, I was so happy with this. I do relatively long calls, maybe that's the problem? How can such a tiny part be the cause of rending Blade useless as a phone? Damn ZTE!! :D

Try the Dewonkificator?

Guest Rotmann
Here we go then, attached /proc/last_kmsg file from a crash/reboot just after an un-plug from AC charger last night. Was running Nightly 11 + modified kernel from here

last_kmsg.txt

Had a quick look on the CM issue tracker to attach this to but couldn't find anything...

That is an old nightly with an "old" kernel, it does not have many things implemented in N19, N20 and N21.

wiped, reset, installed N21. found it very responsive. but my phone keeps rebooting. :-(

will wait for some more nightlies.

Did you format system? Did you restore system apps with titanium? Did you check MD5?

Edited by Rotmann

Guest Blues003

su

I know how to get logcats done, I have done so some times before (I even opened some issues myself, with a logcat included). Problem is, what if the phone reboots in the middle of the night and I end up without the alarm ringing?

I also have some doubts regarding "the devs not being so strict". Not that I'm doubt you, I just saw this comment on this issue :( : http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...tars%20Priority

Go shopping for an el cheapo standalone alarm clock, presto! :D

Not at 23:48 in the evening! :(

Here we go then, attached /proc/last_kmsg file from a crash/reboot just after an un-plug from AC charger last night. Was running Nightly 11 + modified kernel from here

last_kmsg.txt

It's here: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...tars%20Priority Will you please post it?

Edited by Blues003

Guest fads1967
wiped, reset, installed N21. found it very responsive. but my phone keeps rebooting. :-(

will wait for some more nightlies.

since i removed beautiful animated weather widget not had a single reboot all day.so maybe worth checking what apps,widgets you have and removing them one by one and see if 1 of them is causing a reboot???

on a side note battery life is fantastic,took it off charge at 2pm had 3 phone calls of about 35 minutes duration in total,sent 10 txts,used internet for 30 mins and battery at time of writing is standing at 84%

a big thanks to all the people who's work has contributed to a rom that has made my blade a new phone

Guest simonckenyon
i had the same problem, how i unblacklist?

settings > call settings > blacklist

and select the number. you can then "unblacklist" it

Guest t0mm13b

su

Download aLogCat from the market and from within the aLogcat, tap on Menu > Preferences > Periodic Save, set the time frequency to log it to the sdcard and let it run in the background - no need to worry, the only thing missing from that is the logging from the kernel :D

Guest t0mm13b

last_kmsg.txt

There's been reports from a few that have experienced "weird behaviour" in relation to unplugging the handset from AC Charger.... sounds defo like a USB thing.... personally, have experienced a weird erratic behaviour from the handset, when I select Reboot > Reboot into Recovery via long pressing the power button, and it reboots, carry out my task in upgrading the kernel and let clockwork reboot, sometimes it does not actually reboot (Screen goes blank, cue scratching head and staring at the blank screen like an ID10T, muttering that I did indeed press home key to make sure) until I pull the AC charger... :| once I pull the AC Charger, it actually reboots and load.....

holy schmoly.... the only thing that I can think of, was this, was running a nightly release which (i am 100% it was nightly 17) could have contributed to the interesting log..... hmmmm..... have you fully upgraded to nightly 21 for a level playing field :D

?

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Scoopading
There's been reports from a few that have experienced "weird behaviour" in relation to unplugging the handset from AC Charger....

sounds defo like a USB thing.... personally, have experienced a weird erratic behaviour from the handset, when I select Reboot > Reboot into Recovery via long pressing the power button, and it reboots, carry out my task in upgrading the kernel and let clockwork reboot, sometimes it does not actually reboot (Screen goes blank, cue scratching head and staring at the blank screen like an ID10T, muttering that I did indeed press home key to make sure) until I pull the AC charger... :| once I pull the AC Charger, it actually reboots and load.....

I get the exact same behaviour too. In addition, even if you boot normally and have USB connected, it sometimes hangs whilst the green Android logo is still on the screen, before it even reaches the Cyanogen boot animation. Unplug the USB when that happens and it reboots itself. I haven't noticed a pattern to it, it just seems to randomly fail to boot if you boot whilst the phone is connected to USB.

I can never mount the sdcard over USB if I leave the cable connected whilst it boots too. It has to see the USB cable plugged in after its finished booting to be able to mount the SD card properly. This is despite the fact that the USB icon is in the status bar on boot, so it is detecting the USB. It just wont let me mount the sdcard unless I unplug/replug the USB cable.

It fails to detect an AC charger sometimes too, and will report USB charging instead of AC. So it's probably wise, if someone's expecting to charge the phone quickly, they actually check AC is properly detected if they're using it.

The USB definitely seems "problematic" in the current CM7. But, based on the comments from Jacob, it seems like they're aware of that..

Edited by Scoopading

Guest surfatwork
Did you format system? Did you restore system apps with titanium? Did you check MD5?

Thanks, @Rotmann. Yes, No, Yes. I have reflashed several dozens of times, so am reasonably careful.

and thanks, fads1967 too, but I dont use that widget.

sorry I couldnt post a logcat, but I am travelling and needed the phone, so had to revert to 2.2 in a hurry.

anyway, see that N22 is out. and so will N23 by the time i am able to flash again,

Guest fixedwheel
nightly 22 is out

Can anybody who's flashed N22 write a short comment about it?

same bugs like in N21? New bugs? No bugs?

I'm very interessted...

thx

Guest birdibird

Just flashed N22 on top of N21

(N21 was a full wipe, N22 only a cache and dalvik cache wipe)

first impression:

N22 feels much more responsive and smooth.

no problems until now

Guest bugeyes
Can anybody who's flashed N22 write a short comment about it?

same bugs like in N21? New bugs? No bugs?

I'm very interessted...

thx

Patience it will happen!