CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest frenchdroid

Hey all - I'm not going to ask how to do a full wipe, so I hope I don't get shot for asking a similarly noob question, BUT ...

I am having some problems restoring my apps. I have read this whole thread, and searched, but I still need a couple of pointers on restoring my apps/data PLEASE :D.

I also reckon it might be worth putting some brief pointers on the front page about restoring apps/data.

I am coming from FLB Froyo G2 10b, to CM7 N21. I wiped everything, even removing the battery first (as in manual clockwork method) but admittedly I used Clockwork 3.0.0.5 and not the latest.

Before doing a restore, I went in to settings to allow CM7 to move apps to SD card, and set it to external (presumably this moves to internal if app doesn't support to SD ??). I also ticked the "install from unknown sources" checkbox.

Firstly, I think CM7 N21 is working fine on my phone but I am having lots of app crashes, probably because of the way I restored my apps/data. Here are the problems:

* when I do a batch restore using MyBackup Root the phone memory runs out (as it won't install most apps automatically to the SD card). This ruins the batch restore halfway through (at the point the phone memory runs out) and also causes repeating system app crashes. When I move some apps to the SD card, the system app crashes stop.

* In Applications settings, Manage Apps, it won't let me move some apps to the SD card because it says I don't have enough memory (but I have 4 GB free). It then goes on to let me move a different, larger app to the SD card. Its about 30% of the apps that I get this with (and they are apps that are normally able to move to SD).

* I can't get Appbrain or Market to re-install my apps automatically. Sure, I could search and install everything I had on my phone, but I thought this happened automatically. In Market, the only apps showing on my account (apart from what is installed with CM7/the start-up Google apps I chose), are the 2 apps that I paid for. I have an Appbrain account online but it doesn't give me the option to install any of my old apps that I had previously downloaded.

* I did a full wipe but not reflash of CM7 N21 after I first tried to restore apps+data because the apps were crashing like crazy. I then selectively RESTORED apps, avoiding duplicating ones that were already included in CM7 and not restoring system apps, etc. I had to do this in batches of 10 or 20 apps, because as I said, MyBackup Root puts them all to the phone memory - in between these smaller batches I then moved what I could to the SD card, and then restored the next lot. I now have all my apps back, plenty of phone memory. I am not getting system/CM7 FCs, crashes ets, but NONE of my restored apps work.

So, what am I doing wrong ? Any pointers, or even insults, very welcome.

And like I said, how about the guys running this thread thinking about putting some very brief guidelines on the first page instructions, especially as this issue is coming up quite often now.

Thanks in advance

Edited by frenchdroid

Guest muller37
Proximity broke in N21 for me but N22 has solved the issue :D

it's strange that the proximity issue works for some in certain roms and not others. having the proximity.init file definitely makes a difference for me. Is it possible to add an option in the call settings to use this file or not?

Guest reluctant_traveller
* I can't get Appbrain or Market to re-install my apps automatically. Sure, I could search and install everything I had on my phone, but I thought this happened automatically. In Market, the only apps showing on my account (apart from what is installed with CM7/the start-up Google apps I chose), are the 2 apps that I paid for. I have an Appbrain account online but it doesn't give me the option to install any of my old apps that I had previously downloaded.

For this point in question, Appbrain creates a new 'apps list' for your phone if you update the ROM, so log into the appbrain website, and you will see you have more than one 'apps list', go into your old one containing the list of apps you had in FLB and copy them to the new profile that was automatically created.

Guest reluctant_traveller
it's strange that the proximity issue works for some in certain roms and not others. having the proximity.init file definitely makes a difference for me. Is it possible to add an option in the call settings to use this file or not?

Indeed.

n21 for me = perfect, n22 seems more sluggish at reactivating screen and occasionally is getting confused i.e. if i cover/uncover sensor several times about 0.5secs apart, I can get it to reverse its behavior (screen on when covered, screen off when uncovered!)

Guest goatee

Hi, that's a very valid question. The way I get around it, is that I use A2SD - in a few easy steps

1. Backup the contents of your SD card.

2. Use (the free) Minitool partition wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html to create 1 primary FAT partition, and 1 primary ext2 partition on your SD card.

3. Copy the contents of your SD card back onto it.

4. Install Dark Tremor A2SD (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715940) using clockwork or Recovery Manager.

5. Restore your apps (I use Titanium backup) and they will all be installed on the SD card, so as long as the ext2 partition is big enough, you won't run out of space :D.

Then, just to be sure, when installing new ROMs over the top, flash the new nightly, and then flash Dark Tremor immediately afterwards, just to ensure it's still set up and working correctly.

Hey all - I'm not going to ask how to do a full wipe, so I hope I don't get shot for asking a similarly noob question, BUT ...

I am having some problems restoring my apps. I have read this whole thread, and searched, but I still need a couple of pointers on restoring my apps/data PLEASE :(.

I also reckon it might be worth putting some brief pointers on the front page about restoring apps/data.

I am coming from FLB Froyo G2 10b, to CM7 N21. I wiped everything, even removing the battery first (as in manual clockwork method) but admittedly I used Clockwork 3.0.0.5 and not the latest.

Before doing a restore, I went in to settings to allow CM7 to move apps to SD card, and set it to external (presumably this moves to internal if app doesn't support to SD ??). I also ticked the "install from unknown sources" checkbox.

Firstly, I think CM7 N21 is working fine on my phone but I am having lots of app crashes, probably because of the way I restored my apps/data. Here are the problems:

* when I do a batch restore using MyBackup Root the phone memory runs out (as it won't install most apps automatically to the SD card). This ruins the batch restore halfway through (at the point the phone memory runs out) and also causes repeating system app crashes. When I move some apps to the SD card, the system app crashes stop.

* In Applications settings, Manage Apps, it won't let me move some apps to the SD card because it says I don't have enough memory (but I have 4 GB free). It then goes on to let me move a different, larger app to the SD card. Its about 30% of the apps that I get this with (and they are apps that are normally able to move to SD).

* I did a full wipe but not reflash of CM7 N21 after I first tried to restore apps+data because the apps were crashing like crazy. I then selectively RESTORED apps, avoiding duplicating ones that were already included in CM7 and not restoring system apps, etc. I had to do this in batches of 10 or 20 apps, because as I said, MyBackup Root puts them all to the phone memory - in between these smaller batches I then moved what I could to the SD card, and then restored the next lot. I now have all my apps back, plenty of phone memory. I am not getting system/CM7 FCs, crashes ets, but NONE of my restored apps work.

So, what am I doing wrong ? Any pointers, or even insults, very welcome.

And like I said, how about the guys running this thread thinking about putting some very brief guidelines on the first page instructions, especially as this issue is coming up quite often now.

Thanks in advance

Edited by goatee

Guest bugeyes

Hi, that's a very valid question. The way I get around it, is that I use A2SD - in a few easy steps

2. Use (the free) Minitool partition wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html to create 1 primary FAT partition, and 1 primary ext2 partition on your SD card.

4. Install Dark Tremor A2SD (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715940) using clockwork or Recovery Manager.

5. Restore your apps (I use Titanium backup) and they will all be installed on the SD card, so as long as the ext2 partition is big enough, you won't run out of space .

Then, just to be sure, when installing new ROMs over the top, flash the new nightly, and then flash Dark Tremor immediately afterwards, just to ensure it's still set up and working correctly.

Exactly what i do works every time too!

Edited by bugeyes

Guest buneech
Proximity broke in N21 for me but N22 has solved the issue :D

Exactly my situation. Wiped on N21, tried it, screen wouldn't come on. Now flashed N22 without wiping, screen came on after a few flicks with the finger over the proximity sensor.

Guest muller37
Exactly my situation. Wiped on N21, tried it, screen wouldn't come on. Now flashed N22 without wiping, screen came on after a few flicks with the finger over the proximity sensor.

Just to note screen comes back on for me as it should without needing to put finger over sensor afterwards on N21.

Guest buneech
Just to note screen comes back on for me as it should without needing to put finger over sensor afterwards on N21.

It's odd, that people have different problems with the same devices. And BTW, i'm using the OLED SF.

Guest muller37
It's odd, that people have different problems with the same devices. And BTW, i'm using the OLED SF.

Mine's a TFT OSF.

Stranger still, just installed Launcher pro from market and now screen stays blank after call till i wipe finger over sensor???

gonna try a roll back to see if i'm not imagining things!

Guest sydeu

at around page 33-34 people were talking about the accelerometer not working correctly which was still the case in n21, anyone knows how this is in n22? just try doodle jump and you'll notice directly. also about doodle jump, i actually have lag in that now which i didn't have in jj9, that's a bit weird cause the other games perfrom better and i get more than double my old score in quadrant.

Guest Hans Gruber

I'm finding in the "About Phone " battery usage screen the majority of usage is from "WiFi" even though it's set to turn off when the screen is off and as far as I can tell it is turning itself off, but still seems to be using up battery. I installed N22 this morning and did a full wipe and it still seems to be the same.

Has anyone else noticed this? It does appear to be draining the battery quicker than with wifi turned off, but not by a massive amount.

Guest zorvalth

5. Restore your apps (I use Titanium backup) and they will all be installed on the SD card, so as long as the ext2 partition is big enough, you won't run out of space .

Exactly what i do works every time too!

How this work for you between nightly updates if you dont wipe? I guess you need to reflash the dark tremor again but do you need to restore all the apps again?

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
I'm finding in the "About Phone " battery usage screen the majority of usage is from "WiFi" even though it's set to turn off when the screen is off and as far as I can tell it is turning itself off, but still seems to be using up battery. I installed N22 this morning and did a full wipe and it still seems to be the same.

Has anyone else noticed this? It does appear to be draining the battery quicker than with wifi turned off, but not by a massive amount.

Did you wipe the battery stats when installing N22 ?

Guest goatee

No, if you don't wipe, you don't need to re-install all the apps. But. . . you can get quirks appearing if you don't wipe. With Titanium backup, it doesn't take me all that long to restore all my apps - and it's a one click process, I just don't bother unless I find a real problem - e.g. proximity wasn't fixed for me in N19, so I did a full wipe, which then fixed it.

How this work for you between nightly updates if you dont wipe? I guess you need to reflash the dark tremor again but do you need to restore all the apps again?

Guest themighysquitt

N21 seem to work perfect for me (no random reboots or screen freezes), the only problem I have is when I get text message the green back button lights up green & doesn't disappear after I read message, has anyone else had the same problem??

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
N21 seem to work perfect for me (no random reboots or screen freezes), the only problem I have is when I get text message the green back button lights up green & doesn't disappear after I read message, has anyone else had the same problem??

Yes, already reported there, maybe add a "me too" ?

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/15851-c...762#entry157762

Guest frenchdroid
I am having some problems restoring my apps. I have read this whole thread, and searched, but I still need a couple of pointers on restoring my apps/data PLEASE :D.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

@Goatee, Bugeyes, Reluctant Travel - Thanks very much for the replies, especially the detailed steps provided.

I hope it helps others too - I knew about partitioning, had heard about DarkTremor, etc, etc, but hadn't come across the steps you outlined in one place.

I can try it when I reflash to N22 - I'm sure it'll work fine.

Guest goatee

No problem - everyone's gotta start somewhere :D.

@Goatee, Bugeyes, Reluctant Travel - Thanks very much for the replies, especially the detailed steps provided.

I hope it helps others too - I knew about partitioning, had heard about DarkTremor, etc, etc, but hadn't come across the steps you outlined in one place.

I can try it when I reflash to N22 - I'm sure it'll work fine.

Guest Apeman85

Proximity works properly on my OLED Blade running N19 and N22, but didn't work on N21 i.e. it only works when proximity.init isn't included. Seems as though this may not be true for the TFT version, however, given some comments.