CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Hans Gruber
I've encountered a similar issue with the spare parts - battery usage. Iit shows Wifi On and Wifi Running both at close to 100%. And this allthough Wifi is disabling when screen turns off. Had this on all Nightlies. Behavier is contrary to e.g. JJ9.

Nevertheless, battery consumption in general is fine, probably comparable to JJ9. But I haven't been able to monitor idle drain as I'm plugging every night due to heavy daily use

Yeah sounds like the same thing. It's not affecting battery life too much but I'm sure it's not meant to be running when it's not active.

I didn't have this on the earlier nightlies, or any 2.2 build, I just noticed it recently. I'm not sure exactly which one introduced it as I went back to 2.2 for a while until CM battery life got sorted.

Guest Roo13
+1

And I recommend Link2SD (free from Market) to exploit App2SD capability on CM7. Simple to set up (after partitioning a candidate ext partition) and works flawlessly.

As told in the 2nd post of the thread, s2ext works perfectly and now provides the ability to reverse (internal<->SD), seems easier in addition

Guest birdibird

just used gps with google maps on N22 with bl1nkv6 kernel for some time.

no shutdown here, but wifi tethering is running, so don't know if that or the kernel blocks the potential shutdown

Guest pinglis

is anyone else having charging issues?

I.E my osf used to charge quite well via usb with any of the three cables I use but now its very slow almost to the point of non exsistent

the mains charger seems to work ok but it will sit at whatever % it is when plugged in for ages then just seems to kick in and shoot up to full

tried re-boots etc and last did a full wipe on N19 (now on N21)

by the by not seen any shutdown probs and battery life is great (when it charges)

could be a hardware fault but I personly dont think so

Guest Nudnik_de
Yeah sounds like the same thing. It's not affecting battery life too much but I'm sure it's not meant to be running when it's not active.

I didn't have this on the earlier nightlies, or any 2.2 build, I just noticed it recently. I'm not sure exactly which one introduced it as I went back to 2.2 for a while until CM battery life got sorted.

I can confirm that this happened with all CM7 versions I tested so far. Allways when I went back to Froyo (JJ9) it was as expected. Wifi On was showing s.th. like 10-15%, Wifi Running was even below that.

I dont know if there is any additional potential here in reducing battery drain or just the reporting of the battery usage is wrong...?

Guest muller37
just used gps with google maps on N22 with bl1nkv6 kernel for some time.

no shutdown here, but wifi tethering is running, so don't know if that or the kernel blocks the potential shutdown

Try switching gps off now and waiting for a bit.

It wasn't immediate for me.

Edited by muller37

Guest frenchdroid
No worries - I use 2.7.5.3 beta 2 - but check http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715940 as it's up to beta 4 now.

Another quick question on this as I'm not quite sure I understand this correctly - if I now have Dark Tremor installed, what settings do I choose in the Cyanogen Mods setting area with respect to moving apps ??

There is an option to allow apps to be moved and there is another setting to say where (auto, ext, int).

Choosing "external" sounds obvious but I thought I read somewhere that you choose internal when you have ext3, because with ext3, Android thinks it is installing to internal.

Oh dear, my head hurts again.

Cheers

Edited by frenchdroid

Guest reluctant_traveller
Did that, nothing happened :D

Yep, not been able to get it to shutdown/reboot on n22 yet, tried googlemaps, mytracks and locus(which is pretty awesome btw - offline cached maps ftw)

I think, in order to confirm this as a bug, I will revert back to n21 and repeat my tests.

Guest sandriderman

With regards to using google maps, I have always found it quite unstable no matter which rom I use (2.1, 2.2 or 2.3), it often causes my blade to restart during navigation. I really like google maps navigation, it is a shame it crashes so much for me. Having said that I have been running google maps with GPS for the last 30 mins and it had not crashed (N21).

As of yesterday I am using N21 (full wipe) and I have to say this is the first rom that have got more than 12 hours battery life out of. I reccon I will get close to 48 hours with the same level of use as before which is fantastic :D .

Guest reluctant_traveller

oh lol, I was just about to shutdown in order to revert to n21, but the phone had already shutdown, was running mytracks at the time.

problem is, my last_kmsg is a blank file!?

Guest Roo13
Another quick question on this as I'm not quite sure I understand this correctly - if I now have Dark Tremor installed, what settings do I choose in the Cyanogen Mods setting area with respect to moving apps ??

There is an option to allow apps to be moved and there is another setting to say where (auto, ext, int).

Choosing "external" sounds obvious but I thought I read somewhere that you choose internal when you have ext3, because with ext3, Android thinks it is installing to internal.

Oh dear, my head hurts again.

Cheers

Using s2ext, i had the same doubts, but it's definitely internal in cyanogenmod's settings for app...but apps are sometimes tricky and install themselves on SD, you can move from "Gérer les applications>Sur la carte SD" as you're in french i guess on your phone.

Guest Rotmann
* I did a full wipe but not reflash of CM7 N21 after I first tried to restore apps+data because the apps were crashing like crazy. I then selectively RESTORED apps, avoiding duplicating ones that were already included in CM7 and not restoring system apps, etc. I had to do this in batches of 10 or 20 apps, because as I said, MyBackup Root puts them all to the phone memory - in between these smaller batches I then moved what I could to the SD card, and then restored the next lot. I now have all my apps back, plenty of phone memory. I am not getting system/CM7 FCs, crashes ets, but NONE of my restored apps work.

So, what am I doing wrong ? Any pointers, or even insults, very welcome.

Seems like MyBackup is not so good as Titanium.

Hi, that's a very valid question. The way I get around it, is that I use A2SD - in a few easy steps

1. Backup the contents of your SD card.

2. Use (the free) Minitool partition wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html to create 1 primary FAT partition, and 1 primary ext2 partition on your SD card.

3. Copy the contents of your SD card back onto it.

4. Install Dark Tremor A2SD (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715940) using clockwork or Recovery Manager.

5. Restore your apps (I use Titanium backup) and they will all be installed on the SD card, so as long as the ext2 partition is big enough, you won't run out of space .

Then, just to be sure, when installing new ROMs over the top, flash the new nightly, and then flash Dark Tremor immediately afterwards, just to ensure it's still set up and working correctly.

Exactly what i do works every time too!

I would not use a2sd or s2e anymore because it always gets broken when updating the nightly, installing it again causes some apps to do not run anymore, FCs and so on. Applying wbaw's new partition mod gives you 300+MB on the phone, coupled with the working native Apps2SD gives you a crazy amount of space. I have 80+ apps and games and still have lots of free space.

Did anyone report to Tom that GPS causes crashes for some users?

Edited by Rotmann

Guest pjthefarmer

I'm having issues getting Titanium Backup Pro to work on N21.

I download it, it installs, but never shows up in the list of apps. When I go to view it in the market it says 'OPEN' but it's greyed out.

Any ideas?

Guest Blues003

I used Google Maps and Navigation...and failed miserably at making it reboot. I even tried to plug it in and out of the AC Charger... yet the god damn thing still worked! I'm not sure if I should be sad that I can't reproduce the error, or happy that it isn't happening. xD I also got no touchscreen freezes, but I did not try PES.

I also tested the proximity sensor. No extensive testing, but it worked wonders. As soon as I took out the finger, bam, screen on.

The Nightly feels much more fluid than what it used to. Specially, when it comes to loading the app drawer. I tested both the GO Launcher EX and ADW EX App Drawers (too lazy to input Launcher Pro Plus' key). I can't say it was a clean install, as I did a full wipe but it synced automatically some apps I had from my RC1 times, as soon as the phone booted. O_o

I had some issues with GO Launcher EX (had to press the Home button twice instead of just once, as pressing once would just make it a black screen). Also, the notification bar is much easier to drag down now. Not so much as dragging up (on that aspect, FLB r10 still beats it in ease of use).

I will now return to FLB r10. I'm looking foward to more development. Tomorrow I'll try to get it to crash again.

EDIT: Just as I restore FLB r10, it appears that all the data was not preserved. I must have messed up somewhere. I guess that means I'll be stickin to Nightly 22.

Also, I made a call and the screen did not come back on. I, however, have not gone to the settings yet to tick/untick whatever I'm supposed to. So I'll leave conclusions after I have more experience.

EDIT 2: This ROM really is speedy. I think GO Launcher EX was better on FLB r10 than on this ROM. However, the inverse can be said about ADW EX. So far it hasn't caused me any problems, and no freezes/reboots have happened.

Edited by Blues003

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Just curious, did they completely scrap RC2? Can't find it on the download page, even though they still have RC1 there still.

I don't think RC2 ever was on the official mirrors, just available from 3 strange download sites,

hand-crafted by Jacob.

I don't think RC2 ever was on the official mirrors, just available from 3 strange download sites,

hand-crafted by Jacob.

Nope, it was delivered in the normal way the RCs are delivered. Not that it matters, it's a week old or so now.

Guest frenchdroid
Seems like MyBackup is not so good as Titanium.

I would not use a2sd or s2e anymore because it always gets broken when updating the nightly, installing it again causes some apps to do not run anymore, FCs and so on. Applying wbaw's new partition mod gives you 300+MB on the phone, coupled with the working native Apps2SD gives you a crazy amount of space. I have 80+ apps and games and still have lots of free space.

Did anyone report to Tom that GPS causes crashes for some users?

Thanks for the pointers Rotmann - I just tried again, with Dark Tremors A2SD, and the thing is still wonky.

It shows the apps as being on the SD card in Manage Applications, SD card tab, AND it doesn't use as much phone space as it did the first time I botched up the restore, but I then have to manually move the apps to the SD card to stop them FC'ing. ANd then I run in to the problem the same as before - can't move some apps to the SD card because I don't have enough memory (which isn't true).

I'll try again without A2SD.

I would love to try the wbaw mod but when I looked through the thread I felt well out of my depth - I'll have another look but there were lots of warnings about doing things wrong !!

I wish there was a decent guide on the subject of restoring for each of the major roms.

Guest Poodha
Nope, it was delivered in the normal way the RCs are delivered. Not that it matters, it's a week old or so now.

Even though it's a week old, shouldn't it still be available since the RC is the official "mile markers"? Bug reports etc doesn't count on the nightlies?

Even though it's a week old, shouldn't it still be available since the RC is the official "mile markers"? Bug reports etc doesn't count on the nightlies?

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/15844-c...700-rc2-382011/

There it be, so you know. But I think they're pretty relaxed about bug reports, I think they except Nightly ones. And a week old is a decade at the current pace.