CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

My experience:

I downloaded N22 and replaced the boot.img file therein with bl1nk's v6 experimental kernel from here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...tal-cm7-kernel/

I then did a full wipe and flashed the ROM.

When I left my phone overnight it died. The battery has been draining very erratically this morning (read: fast)!

So my questions are these:

1: Is it okay to replace the boot.img in a nightly with bl1nk's experimental kernel? In the past I have applied these kernel's afterwards, but surely integrating it just saves a step... or do we need to let it boot with the full nightly ROM and settle before replacing the kernel?

2: I see talk of "recalibrating the battery". How do you do that?

3: I left WiFi and GPS on last night. Do you reckon that's why it died? I see a few others reporting the phone just turning itself off when they've left GPS and WiFi switched on. Is this new to Nightly 22? Is it fixed in Nightly 23 (unlikely)?

Keep up the good work everybody!

Guest muller37
I provide support for SSD drives and I have to say I don't think you're gonna reach the limit with a once a day update on a phone so I wouldn't much worry about it. :D

thats ok then. got a bit worried for a minute there!

anyone else got a catalogue of backups for 'just in case'? ive got backups of stock, flb8 & 10, jj9 and now a few cm7 versions!

or am i just a bit mental? lol

Edited by muller37

Guest targetbsp

anyone else got a catalogue of backups for 'just in case'? ive got backups of stock, flb8 & 10, jj9 and now a few cm7 versions!

Not just you. :D I have JJ9, Modaco 12, FLB10 and CM7 on my SD card and stock on my PC. For a long while I just didn't have a preferred rom and would switch to each one as it got a new update and ran that one until another one got an update. I am now favouring CM7 though and will probably drop down to only keeping one Froyo in reserve. I'm just not sure which one - they all seem to have their own little quirks.

Guest redironman

Just for sanity I keep a backup of MCr12 and the last CM7 nightly I had running mostly ok (which at the moment is n21 with blinks kernel and uk pool in gps.conf)

I always nandroid before I change ROM. Then decide if its a keeper...

...works for me and takes up a few hundred Mb's.

Guest Frankish
I provide support for SSD drives and I have to say I don't think you're gonna reach the limit with a once a day update on a phone so I wouldn't much worry about it. :(

How about when i'm testing my themes out. I do minimum 4 nandroids in a day when working on them then flashing each individual theme each time. Still would take a long long time though :D

Guest Blues003

Angry Birds was not working well on FLB after restoring from Titanium Backup... probably because it was a backup made on 2.3 and applied on 2.2? I tried restoring App+Data, but also installing the App from the market and then restoring Data only. Regardless of what I did, I'd get a FC.

Which means... I'm back to CM7. xD Updating to Nightly 23 via Rom Manager right now.

Guest targetbsp
How about when i'm testing my themes out. I do minimum 4 nandroids in a day when working on them then flashing each individual theme each time. Still would take a long long time though :D

I don't know what sd cards, or the nand in the phone is rated to wear wise. I'm sure it's no where near as good as used in SSD's but SSD's can take such a hammering it would have to be massively worse quality for you to be at any risk. Intels drives, using the cheap MLC nand, are rated to take 20gb a day for 5 years. The crucial drives (whose forum I lurk on) are rated for 72tb in their lifetime - I've not worked out the quantity of data I'm writing but based on the wear levelling info from the drives smart data its on track to last me 70 years! And again that's the cheap MLC nand - only rated to 5000 erases.

I can't imagine nand existing of sufficiently poor quality that it can't take a few hundred mb a day without lasting longer than we'll have these phones.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
I don't know what sd cards, or the nand in the phone is rated to wear wise. I'm sure it's no where near as good as used in SSD's but SSD's can take such a hammering it would have to be massively worse quality for you to be at any risk. Intels drives, using the cheap MLC nand, are rated to take 20gb a day for 5 years. The crucial drives (whose forum I lurk on) are rated for 72tb in their lifetime - I've not worked out the quantity of data I'm writing but based on the wear levelling info from the drives smart data its on track to last me 70 years! And again that's the cheap MLC nand - only rated to 5000 erases.

I can't imagine nand existing of sufficiently poor quality that it can't take a few hundred mb a day without lasting longer than we'll have these phones.

Yea, I think I Read on AnandTech that the new Intel SSDs "only" have 5000 write cycles on them or something. But the way it was spread across all the pages comes to something like 97 years of constant use. I think that's fairly decent :D

Guest sydeu

2 screen freezes when playing fruit ninja on n23, fully wiped.

also proximity worked in the first try when calling :D did not work for me with n21.

edit: at least i think so, they were very short but it seemed like i couldn't do anything on the screen and then it came back again.

edit2: also just froze fully (restarted) right now when playing the same game but that could be because of the overclocking at 710 mhz, probably was cause it is quite hot on the upper backside.

Edited by sydeu

edit2: also just froze fully (restarted) right now when playing the same game but that could be because of the overclocking at 710 mhz, probably was cause it is quite hot on the upper backside.

I reckon you're probably right. An 18% overclock out of a very cheap machine running at high load is asking quite a lot.

Guest That-Guy

Is there a huge difference between Nightly 22 and 23?

The reason I ask is up till now I have got away with just clearing Cache and Delvik Cache and installing the new nightly. But just done the same with 22 and 23 and now loads of apps are says Not Installing when trying to run also the market does not load.

Its not a problem I will just do a full wipe, just wondering why this would happen now and not with the other 10+ Nightlies I have installed this way?

Guest samjam

Maybe GPS only causes a freeze if it can't get a lock?

Since I put N21 on I've had no freezes and one reboot, as far as I can tell - maybe I should look for an "uptime" widget

Is there a huge difference between Nightly 22 and 23?

The notification bug is fixed. The back LED goes off now, when the notification was read.

The reason I ask is up till now I have got away with just clearing Cache and Delvik Cache and installing the new nightly. But just done the same with 22 and 23 and now loads of apps are says Not Installing when trying to run also the market does not load.

Well, exactly what I had done, and mine works fine.

Guest Pirttila

Maybe reboot problem is something to do with USB... I flash N23 and everything was ok. Then i recharge phone via computer and when it was full i take wire off, phone was off too.

I start phone and after 10min. it shut down again. Reflash N23 and now it is ok again.

Guest bob214
Maybe GPS only causes a freeze if it can't get a lock?

Since I put N21 on I've had no freezes and one reboot, as far as I can tell - maybe I should look for an "uptime" widget

Doesn't "Settings / About phone / Status / Uptime" work for you?

Guest Saransh Agarwal
Hmm maybe i need to upgrade. Fruit Ninja was never guaranteed a screen freeze with me. Pro Evo however is guaranteed a freeze at least once per match. I may upgrade today to n23 and see how that is.

Played pro evolution for 4 hours not even a single freeze

Guest k0nrad
The notification bug is fixed. The back LED goes off now, when the notification was read.

Not for me. Just flashed N23 on top of N22 with cache wipe (no data wipe) and it's still there. Not a big deal, maybe full wipe would fix it, I just don't feel like reinstalling/restoring everything today...

What happens, when you delete the notification from notification bar? Either way, the green back LED goes off for me.

I only wiped cache and dalvik cache and flashed N23 on top of 22. Although, I set up my phone completly fresh with N19.

Guest themighysquitt

Well, exactly what I had done, and mine works fine.

What find with this bug is if I read the notification straight away the green LED stays on, if I wait a minute or 2 to read it the LED goes off!!

Guest k0nrad
What happens, when you delete the notification from notification bar? Either way, the green back LED goes off for me.

I only wiped cache and dalvik cache and flashed N23 on top of 22. Although, I set up my phone completly fresh with N19.

Green LED stayed *on*, whether I simply read notified text or delete the notification from the bar without actually reading.

I tested it again with an email twice:

1. The email synced when the screen was on - notification appeared, green LED didn't light up.

2. The email synced when the screen was off - green LED lighted up, then turned off as soon as I turned the screen on (the notification remained)

Honestly, I don't remember the usual LED behaviour on stock/2.2 ROMs or previous CM7 builds, so I dunno if it's allright or buggered up, just reporting my case.

Did a clean install of N22 yesterday and today updated to N23 with cache & dalvik cache wipe.

Plus, I'm still having issues with bad UI drawing (menus not appearing etc) and FCs (e.g. with LauncherPro) from time to time.