CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Autodrop

Just had anonther screenfreeze followed by reboot. Currently running N25.

Also after answering a call or reading a text message, the red LED light stays on. :s

Guest Nirva

Hi,

Everybody tells that the battery life on the most recent Nightlies the battery life is fixed. Do they mean fixed as in : As good as the other ROMS, or Fixed as in Not completely rubish as it used to be ? This is the last dealbreaker for me...

On the Modaca 2.2 Rom I can get 2 days of battery life, and that's waht I expect from al my future ROMS...

Guest targetbsp
So does mine. As long as my wifi isn't running. :(

Edit: to be clear, even with a clean install, no apps, widgets, themes whatsoever running, when I activate wifi, my phone doesn't go into sleep mode. So it has to be the new wifi modul what's causing trouble.

You're right! with wifi off it sleeps fine. With it on it stays awake. Back to N25. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
Hi,

Everybody tells that the battery life on the most recent Nightlies the battery life is fixed. Do they mean fixed as in : As good as the other ROMS, or Fixed as in Not completely rubish as it used to be ? This is the last dealbreaker for me...

On the Modaca 2.2 Rom I can get 2 days of battery life, and that's waht I expect from al my future ROMS...

Two days is easily manageable for me

Guest gat2011
Hi,

depends what you're running on it, but i can easily get 2 days with 'standard' usage-a few calls, texting, web surfing etc. standby seems to be on a par with the 2.2s that i've used. complete standby/sleep would last several days.

Guest Andymac1969

This ROM is much better than previous ones, the only problem I have left on N26 is the poxy phone keeps turning itself off, with no notice, its only when I pick it up I have to hold down the power button and it reboots and starts up again, anyone any ideas?

Andrew

Guest Poodha
Ouch i meant there is no need to wipe after installing a rom. However it makes no difference unless it comes with app preinstalled to the data partition.

Sorry guys :D

Uhm, I'm UTTERLY confused now.

You shouldn't wipe after installing a ROM? Are you supposed to do it BEFORE you install it? Cause I've always followed the guide here on modaco, and there it says you should wipe AFTER installing the ROM. Are you then talking about swapping ROMs that are too different(for ex 2.1 to 2.2)?

And in this case you're saying it's not necessary to wipe AT ALL? Or are you saying you should wipe cause there are apps preinstalled? Cause I have never seen a ROM that doesn't have any apps, so I should always wipe when there are apps in the rom?

Guest Tones
This ROM is much better than previous ones, the only problem I have left on N26 is the poxy phone keeps turning itself off, with no notice, its only when I pick it up I have to hold down the power button and it reboots and starts up again, anyone any ideas?

Andrew

I had this on N23 a couple of times (my first blade installation). Havent had it on N26 yet, but only installed a couple of hours ago.

Guest michaelviper
Slightly off topic but I'm trying different launchers on N23. Didn't really like the feel of Zeam, it's fast but there's not a lot you can change/tweak. I've used ADW before and quite like it. I don't find it lags but it took a few reboots for the phone to feel as responsive as you'd expect. The only thing that bugs me about ADW is the non-scrollable docking bar - I don't like the "flip-up" second dock, which is why GO seems better to me because it's very similar to ADW in the options/tweaks/look with a scrolling docking bar - and it seems pretty smooth and responsive.

I'm just looking at Eugenes Gingerbread Launcher but I can't see how to get to the settings - how do I change the number of screens and dock settings etc? If I click on the Menu button and go to settings it just takes me to the main phone settings menu, I can't see anything for the launcher itself.

Also, is there anything way to switch off the phone via a CM menu option rather than through the hardware/power button - or is Quickboot the answer?

i find that adw launcher ex runs smoother than adw launcher i find it better, go launcher ex is also another good one my second choice

one other thing whats new about n26 or is it exactly the same as n25? cause for now i don't see the point in flashing a new rom

Guest Daimaah
Uhm, I'm UTTERLY confused now.

You shouldn't wipe after installing a ROM? Are you supposed to do it BEFORE you install it? Cause I've always followed the guide here on modaco, and there it says you should wipe AFTER installing the ROM. Are you then talking about swapping ROMs that are too different(for ex 2.1 to 2.2)?

And in this case you're saying it's not necessary to wipe AT ALL? Or are you saying you should wipe cause there are apps preinstalled? Cause I have never seen a ROM that doesn't have any apps, so I should always wipe when there are apps in the rom?

Oh boy, where to begin... If a wipe is needed, it'll be BEFORE you do the flashing, since wiping after would be like removing the flashed ROM. I'm quite sure none of the guides here tell you to wipe after flashing :D

By apps (in this case) he means possible "hotfixes" for things such as Camera etc. Kinda like patches in .apk file. Not the "normal" apps you'd have on your phone. But since there's pretty much none provided for CM7 so far, that's not something you need to worry about.

a) Wipe (and then flash) if you don't have the time and willingness to reinstall everything again.

:( Don't wipe (and risk potential conflicts between the nightlies) and your apps are left alone (meaning there's no apps lost during the flashing).

Guest peter0118

Hello everybody!

I have the CM7 mod n25 release!

Today released n26, and its have stronger wifi.

Can i do this: create an update.zip from /system/wifi folder, and flash it to n25?

is that a good idea?

edit1: i created the update.zip , i wait for the answer

Edited by peter0118

Guest Frankish
Oh boy, where to begin... If a wipe is needed, it'll be BEFORE you do the flashing, since wiping after would be like removing the flashed ROM. I'm quite sure none of the guides here tell you to wipe after flashing :D

By apps (in this case) he means possible "hotfixes" for things such as Camera etc. Kinda like patches in .apk file. Not the "normal" apps you'd have on your phone. But since there's pretty much none provided for CM7 so far, that's not something you need to worry about.

a) Wipe (and then flash) if you don't have the time and willingness to reinstall everything again.

:( Don't wipe (and risk potential conflicts between the nightlies) and your apps are left alone (meaning there's no apps lost during the flashing).

It referring to me I did mean normal apps. Some rom devs add a data folder to the rom for bundled apps. This way you can easily remove them. Wiping after install would keep the rom but wipe the pre bundled apps. Most roms here the bundled apps are on system so my point isn't really applicable. :-)

Guest Andymac1969
I had this on N23 a couple of times (my first blade installation). Havent had it on N26 yet, but only installed a couple of hours ago.

Mine was fine at first and then the phone shuts itself down when its left on its own, It is not shutting down in use, only when its left alone, apart from that all my screen freezes etc are gone, battery life is fantastic, (improved more by being off half the time :D ) This is otherwise fantastic, and a great testament to the developers.

Andrew

Guest defcrash
Just had anonther screenfreeze followed by reboot. Currently running N25.

Havent had any screenfreeze yet (before i had a couple of screenfreezes when playing Blow Up, but on N25 everything fine until now).

Also after answering a call or reading a text message, the red LED light stays on. :s

When i have an missed call my LED shows up as green, after i look at the call log the led goes off, when i have an sms my LED shows up as red, but as soon as i read the message the led goes off (i'm using Handcent sms).

Edited by defcrash

Guest simonckenyon

with n26 wifi on is affecting sleeping

if i leave wifi after sleeping, any button will produce the lock screen

looking at spare parts, the phone was on 100% of the time

wifi network is not found when i come out of sleep. it says "scanning..."

it sees my neighbors wifi networks come and go.

and now it has just crashed as i typed this.

so wifi on is stopping the phone from sleeping - and when it sleep with gps on it crashes

it has been this way since at least n19

Guest targetbsp
it has been this way since at least n19

Do you mean the gps crashing or the wifi sleep issue? Wifi sleep is fine for me in N19 and N23 but it is broke in N26 and someone earlier said N25 as well.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Poodha

You guys are killing me, turning everything I learned so far upside down. =)

In this guide, the steps of factory reset and wiping cache is after installing the rom from zip.

Go to "3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually".

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

So I should do the wipes before installing the ROM from zip on SD? Cause I don't know how many times I've installed ROMs this way(allthough I never had any problems with wiping after instaling the ROM either...). You're saying I've been doing it wrong all the time?

But wouldn't a wipe after installing the ROM wipe old residues from the previous ROM as well?

Guest Zythus

For me this ROM is the best ROM. Just in a month devs did a great job. A most weird thing - which was so far battery life, got fixed (IMO officially), and the proximity sensor has got improved. So yeah, this ROM is so far the best for ZTE Blade.

Edited by Zythus

Guest Frankish
You guys are killing me, turning everything I learned so far upside down. =)

In this guide, the steps of factory reset and wiping cache is after installing the rom from zip.

Go to "3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually".

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

So I should do the wipes before installing the ROM from zip on SD? Cause I don't know how many times I've installed ROMs this way(allthough I never had any problems with wiping after instaling the ROM either...). You're saying I've been doing it wrong all the time?

But wouldn't a wipe after installing the ROM wipe old residues from the previous ROM as well?

I think i've confused things as i mentioned a format not used in any Blade roms seen so far.

All you need to know is you don't ever need to wipe AFTER installing a rom for the Blade. You can if you want to but it makes no difference. Procedure is wipe, flash rom, let rom boot. Done.

I went off on a tangent as i was trying to explain you don't need to wipe after installing but it doesn't harm anything. Unless the rom zip has a certain layout. (Not seen in Blade roms so far.)

When a dev adds extra .apk's to a roms zip for the Blade they add them to the /system partition. If you want to remove the apps you have to use adb or Titanium etc. If the rom has extra apks added to the data partition you can remove these easily using the phones applications manager, also wiping data would delete these extra .apk's.

The format for blade rom zips is always,

META-INF

boot.img

/system

The format i'm talking about is,

META-INF

boot.img

/system

/data (Extra .apk's go here!)

But it's totally irrelevant so i'll shut up.

Edited by Frankish

Guest Poodha
Use Recovery Manager or Rom Manager and you just tick a box and you never have to worry about what order it's done in. :D

I get a lot of FC on Recovery Manager, it's not exactly stable for me on certain roms, so it's easier to do it manually. Haven't tried Rom Manager yet, but why install another app if I can learn how to do it manually?

I think i've confused things as i mentioned a format not used in any Blade roms seen so far.

All you need to know is you don't ever need to wipe AFTER installing a rom for the Blade. You can if you want to but it makes no difference. Procedure is wipe, flash rom, let rom boot. Done.

I went off on a tangent as i was trying to explain you don't need to wipe after installing but it doesn't harm anything. Unless the rom zip has a certain layout. (Not seen in Blade roms so far.)

Thanks for the explanation Frankisk. I get know what you mean with the extra apps(just that we haven't seen that in blade ROMs). I don't want to be the asshole, but shouldn't we then change the user guide, since it looks like you're supposed to wipe cache and factory reset AFTER installing from zip on SD in the guide. Or am I the only one who misunderstood the guide?

Another question, do you have to make a reboot between each installation, or can I install CM7 in clockwork, and then without rebooting, directly install gapps from zip on sdcard? Cause I've have been rebooting between installing every addon so far(like themes, battery mods, gapps, wififix etc).