CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest ropin

if anyone is still seeing the proximity sensor bug, a workaround that seems to work for me is to connect the phone charger, or connect to computer and the screen should come back up

Guest ThrashMan
Seems better than any 2.2 ROM I have used :D

Suppose it really comes down to your setup.

Possibly, but in my experience opening app drawers (for example) is far smoother on Froyo

Guest chimas
if anyone is still seeing the proximity sensor bug, a workaround that seems to work for me is to connect the phone charger, or connect to computer and the screen should come back up

1 Big flaw with that workaround, You are in th middle of no where, No computers what would you do then??? and Do you expect people to carry their charger around.

Guest richardkemp
Did you enable "Always use proximity" and leave "In Call UI" disabled? Restart and see that it's fixed.

For the record,I have these two set the opposite way from this (default setting I think) and have never had to restart. I had a scare yesterday when it stayed blank after call and wouldn't turn on if I pressed the power button,but pressing menu brought it right back.

I look forward to the fixes you mention Rotmann, though have to remain sceptical until we get the goodies!

Guest ballist1x
How are things right now? I'm still on N8 because the proximity was driving my crazy.

By looking at https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_devi...its/gingerbread seems like not much has improved ever since.

I too preferred n8.. i havent bothered with 15 or 17, ive gone back to flb or battery life. But N8 was the best rom ive used so far, most responsive and usable.. except for low battery life!

I too preferred n8.. i havent bothered with 15 or 17, ive gone back to flb or battery life. But N8 was the best rom ive used so far, most responsive and usable.. except for low battery life!

What you guys forget is that CyanogenMod itself is improving all the time. Just because there's no Blade specific stuff doesn't mean nothing's happening.

Good news about the battery life, I have been using another kernel from Tom_G with the serial console turned off and guess what, idle battery life is surely as good as FroYo if not better, I've been running this for 9 hours, this drains close to nothing when it idles. LED got solved too, apps2sd patch is on the way to being merged, the proximity sensor issue got reviewed again and will be fixed, this is it mates!!! The perfect Wednesday ROM will come in the next 1-2 nightlies.

Would you mind sharing this Kernel, then? T0mm13b's kernel sucked battery life like you wouldn't believe. I find the default CM one best, at the moment. But yes, more debug stuff off, the better, I s'pose.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
What you guys forget is that CyanogenMod itself is improving all the time. Just because there's no Blade specific stuff doesn't mean nothing's happening.

It doesn't make me feel any better when I can attribute the worsened laggyness and the

more frequent screen-freezes to CM in general, and not the Blade specific stuff, tbh :D

Guest skull_fcuk

Just a reply to say how pleased i am with N17. My camera seems improved also, i'm on a 3.2mp camera. Just thought i'd include some pics i took whilst walking the dogs the other day. Overall, the colour seems to be better.

I've implemented the workaround mentioned here, for calling. Just ticking the one setting in the call settings menu. \Works perfectly. I was getting the blank screen problem when i switched to N15 from N8. Was a bit upset, as i'd dodged it before then. Never mind. Works now. My battery life seems a lot better also, lost only 4% overnight.

Thanks CM guys.

post-831073-1300026274_thumb.jpg

post-831073-1300026315_thumb.jpg

post-831073-1300026344_thumb.jpg

post-831073-1300026402_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon O

they look brilliant for the blade! Have you done the back cover mod to improve the camera further? It's the one that involves cutting out the camera window.

Guest ivanko021

The camera quality has improved for me too! Switching back to FLB though cuz yesterday I listened to music and tried to chat using imo/skype over EDGE and the screen froze every 20-30 seconds. It drove me crazy! Besides that the ROM is really really awesome!

BTW is there a way to restore my apps through the market or gmail account? It was quite convy on 2.2 but can't use it in CM7.

Edited by ivanko021

Guest admanirv

Top work to all for finding fixes and constantly improving CM7.

I hear people moaning but I think what people forget is, this ROM is free!

Guest Simon O

Exactly. And look at how far CM7 for Blade has come in such a short period of time.

Guest admanirv

Absolutely, in the space of 3-4 weeks its come on leaps on bounds.

Its already my daily ROM and has been since the day of release, you would never get this sort of ROM from HTC/ZTE etc etc.

Guest Dark Man X
New kernel, camera fixes and vold fixes have been merged into the repo. Should be seeing these in the n18 or n19.

includes the new kernel the improved battery life Rotmann was talking about?

Guest geegeethatsme
QUOTE(admanirv @ Mar 13 2011, 14:49) *

Exactly. And look at how far CM7 for Blade has come in such a short period of time.

Hear Hear. I have been monitoring the posts on CM7 to see how the rom is developing and decided to move across to N17 from my MCR2.2 r11. I'm not a gaming, twittering facebooker, so my usage is probably pretty light - phone calls, txts, e-mails and some web searching. I don't enable data or wifi unless I need to, ditto GPS. There is certainly more battery drain compared with my previous rom, but that's balanced by the additional functionality in Gingerbread. I've applied the prox sensor fix which worked fine, and I've experienced the problems recorded extensively of screen freezes, camera FC etc. But these are minor quibbles and don't affect the overall experience of an excellent rom with more to come. Crack on guys. There are some very appreciative users out here.

Edited by geegeethatsme

Guest supermies123
Just a reply to say how pleased i am with N17. My camera seems improved also, i'm on a 3.2mp camera. Just thought i'd include some pics i took whilst walking the dogs the other day. Overall, the colour seems to be better.

I've implemented the workaround mentioned here, for calling. Just ticking the one setting in the call settings menu. \Works perfectly. I was getting the blank screen problem when i switched to N15 from N8. Was a bit upset, as i'd dodged it before then. Never mind. Works now. My battery life seems a lot better also, lost only 4% overnight.

Thanks CM guys.

There isn't snow in Scotland now? Damn. Still kind of cold here in Finland :D Maybe I should move somewhere warm, like Spain.

I have Blade with 5mp camera. Those pics you took with 3.2mp do look very good quality in my opinion.

Those camera shots were good as thumbnails, and nice colours, but it still seems to merge areas of pixels together, like it's interpolating from a much lower resolution, possibly VGA or something. If you get what I mean.

Also, some interesting lines found in the newest commits:

-	write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate 20000	 	
- write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold 76
- write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/down_threshold 60
+ write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate 500000
+ write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold 90
+ write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/down_threshold 30[/code]

Or basically, dramatically increase the sampling rate of the ondemand governor, which is basically what you should be running the phone on. I don't know if that is a good thing (more samples= quicker scaling of the CPU) or a bad thing (More samples= increased load to monitor the CPU)

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Rotmann
Hi Rotmann would need a short clarification, if you wouldn't mind, since I see you have the same flag like me:

Is "In Call UI" "Bildschirm anlassen" in the German menu?

Ja, "Bildschirm anlassen" muss ausgeschaltet und "Immer Näherungssensor" eingeschaltet sein.

How are things right now? I'm still on N8 because the proximity was driving my crazy.

By looking at https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_devi...its/gingerbread seems like not much has improved ever since.

Proximity works perfect if you enable "Always use proximity" and disable "In Call UI" in Settings - Call settings

Possibly, but in my experience opening app drawers (for example) is far smoother on Froyo

Use Gingerbread Launcher by Eugene or Steven Lin, that's butter smooth. ADW Ex is good too, GO Launcher EX too.

Would you mind sharing this Kernel, then? T0mm13b's kernel sucked battery life like you wouldn't believe. I find the default CM one best, at the moment. But yes, more debug stuff off, the better, I s'pose.

I am still testing right now, it will be included in the next nightly. 14 hours standby time, only GSM/3G on, no data, 14 hours, played something like 10-15 minutes in the terminal emulator and to take some pictures 100%-94%. On the old kernel I would have been at 80% if not worse. Look and drool:

post-779710-1300034007_thumb.jpg

post-779710-1300034021_thumb.jpg

I am still testing right now, it will be included in the next nightly. 14 hours standby time, only GSM/3G on, no data, 14 hours, played something like 10-15 minutes in the terminal emulator and to take some pictures 100%-94%. On the old kernel I would have been at 80% if not worse. Look and drool:

Seems that your camera isn't much better though with these fixes. :D And yes, it's all been merged and stuff, looking forward to it!

Guest Rotmann
Seems that your camera isn't much better though with these fixes. :( And yes, it's all been merged and stuff, looking forward to it!

Don't mind the camera, Nokia E52 (aka business smartphone) :( And some people say the Blade's camera is crap. :D

Guest Mike_P
Also, some interesting lines found in the newest commits:

-	write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate 20000	 	

-	write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold 76	

-	write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/down_threshold 60

+	write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate 500000

+	write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold 90

+	write /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/down_threshold 30

Or basically, dramatically increase the sampling rate of the ondemand governor, which is basically what you should be running the phone on. I don't know if that is a good thing (more samples= quicker scaling of the CPU) or a bad thing (More samples= increased load to monitor the CPU)

I believe that's the sampling rate in µs, therefore they're reducing the sampling frequency. Looks like they're going to use the default values that all the other ROMs I've seen use, (sampling_rate/up_threshold/down_threshold).