CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Frankish
I had winamp set to automount, didn't think of that thanks for the responseeeeeeee

No problem i did the same once but figured it out eventualyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Guest nunoar
I post the same question I posted some time ago, but did not get answered: what is the current state on the random screen freeze issue and the random reboot issue?

Afaik, the random reboots were related to android 2.3.2 itself so eventually things are better now. (I can't really say cos I'm still using N8). About to flash the last nightly though

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Afaik, the random reboots were related to android 2.3.2 itself so eventually things are better now. (I can't really say cos I'm still using N8). About to flash the last nightly though

Haven't had a spontaneous reboot for a long time now, but intermittent screen freezes,

but the screen always comes back with pressing the power button twice.

Guest Amphoras
Yes. In fact, once you back them up, you don't even need Titanium. It just places the original apk files inside a gzip file. If you extract them with something like Winrar you can install the apk's using the file manager, without the need for Titanium, in CM7. So (to clarify) you can restore the apps, but you're potentially asking for problems if you restore their data too, so it'd be like the app was freshly installed.

In that case you could also try restoring the original user data directory Titanium backed up (which will be a seperate file from the apk). It may or may not work. Don't be surprised if it doesn't or causes weird issues. Just look inside the gzip file first and see what it's going to put on the phone. In a worst case scenario all you'd have to do is wipe that data back off the phone, either manually or using Titanium would probably work.

Thanks very much, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Guest fonix232
UPDATE:

- Using Sygic Aura, the "pointer" is very choppy... you know what I mean... just like your car is "frogging" on the street... (GPS position refresh rate is very slow?)

- For the guys that claim GPS is working (fonix232 etc.): please test the GPS by switching it ON, then OFF, then ON again... and the problem will rise (maybe?) Thank you very much

That problem has been confirmed by now by:

Trademark-NRW / mELIANTE / That-Guy / LordKickapoo

Then read my post again. GPS is switched on by default, switched it off to conserve power. Then I read the bug about GPS, switched it on, and noticed GPS notification won't appear, BUT, it does get a fix. Switched it on-off many times, same result.

And yet non of you have even bothered to open a bug report on the issue tracker. So how do you expect the developers to know about this issue and fix it?

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...n=2&q=blade

Doesn't take long to do!

The GoogleCode issue tracker is for the RC releases. Every Nightly or home build bug should go to the CM forum, OR, the device vendor tree issue tracker.

Also, I had a bit of problem with reboots. It is related to USB. If I had it mounted for long, taken it off and switched on screen immediately, the phone froze and I was left with a lighting keyboard Blade without response. Only battery out-and-back helped.

Guest Rotmann
Then read my post again. GPS is switched on by default, switched it off to conserve power.

You won't conserve power if you don't actually use apps that use GPS (like navigation or sports trackers). Switching it off is nonsense.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Also, I had a bit of problem with reboots. It is related to USB. If I had it mounted for long, taken it off and switched on screen immediately, the phone froze and I was left with a lighting keyboard Blade without response. Only battery out-and-back helped.

I encountered reboots when taking the Blade off the (mains) charger and switch on the screen immediately, so

it's an USB thing (cos' it charges via USB even when plugging it into mains) but not an USB (mount) issue only.

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
I encountered reboots when taking the Blade off the (mains) charger and switch on the screen immediately, so

it's an USB thing (cos' it charges via USB even when plugging it into mains) but not an USB (mount) issue only.

It's done that since pre RC1. It's gotten less frequent though. Wow, pre RC1.. all of 3 weeks ago...

Guest skull_fcuk

Just been surfing the web through my Blade using PDAnet. Wow, i'm ready to go mobile now. Also wanted to say i've not had a random reboot since N15, and my Proximity sensor works fine, also my SD card is mounting/unmounting with no problems on the PC/Phone.

One issue i noticed today. I took a pic of something on max zoom, and yet the photo came out without the zoom applied. Anyone else have that? In N17/N18 i just ended up with two pics of different resolutions. Odd.

Guest Amphoras

I've installed N19, and after a few initial problems it mostly seems to be working now.

Just got a couple of other questions:

Does anyone know whether the CM7 kernal supports CIFS, and if not is this planned in the future?

Can you install apps to an ext partition of the sd card with CM7? In my old ROM, some of the apps seemed to be stored there and the partition showed up in Titanium Backup. Now they all seem to be on the phones internal memory or on the main partition of the sdcard, and the ext partition doesn't show up in Titanium.

Guest Acathla-
I've installed N19, and after a few initial problems it mostly seems to be working now.

Just got a couple of other questions:

Does anyone know whether the CM7 kernal supports CIFS, and if not is this planned in the future?

Can you install apps to an ext partition of the sd card with CM7? In my old ROM, some of the apps seemed to be stored there and the partition showed up in Titanium Backup. Now they all seem to be on the phones internal memory or on the main partition of the sdcard, and the ext partition doesn't show up in Titanium.

Of use? (CifsManager)

For apps to ext you need a separate Apps2Ext tool. I use Darktremor, some use simple2ext (and obviously your SD card formatted to have an ext partition!)

Edited by Acathla-

Guest arpakyna

Installed N19 a minute ago. Nice bonus that nobody has mentioned is that using color rendering setting "Calibrated N1" (Nexus one?) tones down the much too cool color temperature of (at least TFT) Blade screens. I could probably calibrate the screen closer to accurate grayscale if I figure out what format the "rendering effect" uses, as I have a fairly accurate colorimeter here. I don't know if most people would actually prefer more accurate colors and gamma, though.

Guest pellonet
Installed N19 a minute ago. Nice bonus that nobody has mentioned is that using color rendering setting "Calibrated N1" (Nexus one?) tones down the much too cool color temperature of (at least TFT) Blade screens. I could probably calibrate the screen closer to accurate grayscale if I figure out what format the "rendering effect" uses, as I have a fairly accurate colorimeter here. I don't know if most people would actually prefer more accurate colors and gamma, though.

I think that any refinement offered by users & developers would be useful for some.

As this may be your area of expertise then go ahead & publish your findings.

There is an old saying (or quote from a film)? 'Build it & they will come' :D

Guest jurrasstoil

There seem to be quite a lot of different TFT Screens that have been used for the SF, so there is probably not just ONE correct calibration.

I'm using Calibrated N1 Cold and find that Calibrated N1 is way too warm (LEAD TFT display).

Edited by jurrasstoil

Guest Scoopading

I can also confirm both of your experiences. The only time I've had any reboot strangeness from the phone is when it's been hooked up to or unhooked from USB. In my experience, if you boot with USB connected, sometimes it will also freeze whilst the green Android is still on the screen (before it reaches the Cyanogen 7 boot animation). If I unplug the USB cable when that happens it will always reboot the phone, without me doing anything, and it then boots up normally. It also fails to mount the SD card every single time if I boot the phone with the USB connected. I have to disconnect/reconnect after the phone is fully booted for the SD card to mount properly. Not sure if any of you experience that issue too? No such issue with stock Eclair / Froyo.

This has been true of every nightly I've tried up until RC2 (which I'm still on with updated kernel). Have issues with the USB been properly reported yet? (Didn't spot any when I had a quick look a few days back). My phone's been too (un)busy testing idle battery drain lately (36hrs in on kernel update and the idle drain is now averaging 0.45% per hour.. nice :D ) to file a report.

Guest Scoopading
You won't conserve power if you don't actually use apps that use GPS (like navigation or sports trackers). Switching it off is nonsense.

I wish that were true. Unfortunately there are plenty of apps which attempt to use the GPS for no good reason, like serving adverts. Whilst you can always use different apps, there are no alternatives for some of them. EG I Heart Radio (requires market enabler to get if outside the USA) which allows you to listen to several hundred US based radio stations (many of which have no alternative streams accessible from outside the US).

The real problem is Android doesn't provide its own controls for blocking apps which attempt to access things they don't need to function. It'd sorely benefit from that, as well as an outbound firewall.

Guest JuusoJuuso
Is there Finnish language in this and if it's not could that be added to this?

Melkein kaikki asiat cm7:ssa on suomennettu :D toisin kuin esim jj:ssä, missä ihan pari asiaa oli suomeksi...

Melkein kaikki asiat cm7:ssa on suomennettu :D toisin kuin esim jj:ssä, missä ihan pari asiaa oli suomeksi...

Hienoa pitääpä kokeilla tätä :( Great!

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I don't want to rain on the party here, but having used N19 for a day, it drained my battery faster than any previous CM7 build. Having had the phone switched on with 3g on and gps/wifi off, and using it for nothing other than 10 minutes of web browsing, the battery is on 10% after only about 10 hours. It spent 95% of the time sitting in my pocket with the screen off. I could finish the day on about 60% after more like 15 hours on all previous builds. I will try calibrating my battery again, as that has helped me in the past when switching ROMs. Also I haven't wiped, so it may well be an issue of my own making.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I'm using N19 and from time to time it turns off on itself. But it doesn't reboot automatically. Anybody else has got this problem?

No, Although it did happen with previous builds (stopped somewhere around N8 I think)