An experimental CM7 Kernel

Guest t0mm13b

Guest targetbsp

Is the wifi integrated into the kernel different from the wifi changes in the most recent nightlies. Or is that comment reflecting the change in the nightlies in bringing the experimental kernel up to date?

I'm just wondering if the wifi in this differs then there's always the chance this fixes the problem of the phone not sleeping when wifi is on. :D

Guest t0mm13b
Is the wifi integrated into the kernel different from the wifi changes in the most recent nightlies. Or is that comment reflecting the change in the nightlies in bringing the experimental kernel up to date?

I'm just wondering if the wifi in this differs then there's always the chance this fixes the problem of the phone not sleeping when wifi is on. :D

Actually, this is the first time that ar6000 is built into the kernel... so not 100% sure. the dmesg log shows that it's picked up the firmware and loaded it into the chipset for functioning but the wifi on the front end via Settings > Wireless Networks etc appears to be "broken", now whether that's on my handset that was on nightly21 (wlan0), will flash to the latest 28/29 nightly (which is ath0 AFAIK....)... will investigate.... :(

As always, thanks for support and feedback :(

Guest t0mm13b
i only want the fm radio, what i do?

Uhhhh... did you not read the first post - to recap - fmradio support within the framework of android cm7 has been dropped... don't ask me why... the driver is there and confirmed to load...

As for the wifi, this could be down to the wireless settings looking for ath0/wlan0 ... need to check.... :D

Guest fonix232

For the FM radio, problem is that both Andorko's and the ZTE one relies on the modified ZTE framework, what includes some more functions to control the FM receiver. Some of them must be excluded or rewritten inside the app (like setVolum or getVolum) and such.

Thanks for all the work t0mm13b.

I've installed the zip via clockworkmod onto RC2 but as you have previously mentioned the wifi will not switch on. I take it there is no work-around for this via settings on the handset? Do you think this is something you will be able to overcome in the future?

Thanks again for all your hard work :D

Guest FelixL

Hey, thanks for including USB OTG! I will have a test...now :D

Will report back in 10 minutes (hopefully).

Is there any magic needed other than flashing your update.zip?

Edit: I used an USB-OTG-cable and a y-cable to get the thing powered, but I couldn't find any hint that my USB-storage was mounted. Any info where I should search? What other things should be possible, a keyboard?

Edit: Do I need some insmod, maybe?

Edited by FelixL

Guest FelixL

Had some more problems with your kernel on Nightly 19, no Wifi and sometimes the screen won't wake up properly. Going to N31 now, if you have an advice on how to get USB working, please tell me and I will try.

Guest t0mm13b
Had some more problems with your kernel on Nightly 19, no Wifi and sometimes the screen won't wake up properly. Going to N31 now, if you have an advice on how to get USB working, please tell me and I will try.

I am awaiting a fresh release and re-sync with github and compile with usb host patches... :D

Nightly 28 has been no problem for me... anyway... just thought I'd mention it... :D

Guest FelixL
Nightly 28 has been no problem for me... anyway... just thought I'd mention it... :D

I hoped the N19 is the problem and tried N31 with a full wipe. No Wifi again, didn't try USB-host. I don't want help or want to bother you, just thought i'd report back and will wait for the next release.

Guest t0mm13b
I hoped the N19 is the problem and tried N31 with a full wipe. No Wifi again, didn't try USB-host. I don't want help or want to bother you, just thought i'd report back and will wait for the next release.

I did recall that TomG created an update script for nightly31 to revert back to the original wifi module.... it was mentioned on irc channel today... have a dig around...

Guest t0mm13b
Should I have another try with RC4 or are you planning to release a new kernel or to merge it into the official??

RC4 will have the original wifi module re-instated AFAIK.... :D

Guest t0mm13b
I get wifi status of error with this kernel on CM7 RC3

dmesg & locgat output attached (I hope)

Have you tried flashing the original module in the zip file listed elsewhere - the zip filename is called cm7_ar6000_signed?

Guest JolyonS
Have you tried flashing the original module in the zip file listed elsewhere - the zip filename is called cm7_ar6000_signed?

Doing so now.

Done so now. Same result.

If I have time I'll try a full wipe and redo all this from scratch.

Edited by JolyonS

Guest FelixL

Did a full wipe, formatted system, installed RC4+ GApps and your kernel directly on top, then did first boot. No Wifi, USB OTG didn't seem to work. But as long as only one person is testing there is a good chance it was human failure :D

Guest JayGB1982

Does this Kernel have any benefits over stock CM7 RC4?

I used this previously on N18 i think, It fixed the proximity then... Just wondering if I should use this Kernel on top of RC4?

Guest simonckenyon

do you mind giving details of how and perhaps more importantly what you built?

i would like to build the kernel myself in order to get the radio to work.

of particular interest is what kernel source you used and where can i get it?

there are so many different versions on github i am a tad confused.

thanks in advance