Has anyone managed to use a custom rom on Orange UK B10 ?

Guest Tadger

Guest ronc2000

Many users reported problems, many reported no problem and I am sure many more users without problems did not report.

One "concludsion" I draw is that there must be some mistake, somehow non reversible, made somewhere along the process, as this is the biggest variations among all users.

Guest Tadger
Many users reported problems, many reported no problem and I am sure many more users without problems did not report.

One "concludsion" I draw is that there must be some mistake, somehow non reversible, made somewhere along the process, as this is the biggest variations among all users.

That could be one explanation, but then I followed the same procedure on 2 phones, one worked, and one didn't....

Guest Ashenfall

If that were the case, the problem reports would have started coming in quite a while back, not just recently.

Guest hcc27
If that were the case, the problem reports would have started coming in quite a while back, not just recently.

Hi all, this is my first post here..been browsing these forums for months and decided to take the plunge with the Orange SF given the level of support it has from Modaco's tireless and selfless army of devs and contributors.

Bought one (white) for my other half last month online from ADVERTISING SPAM which came with the standard 08 ROM. Quickly unlocked, rooted and ClockworkMod-ed, and installed Paul's Froyo MCR r12 which runs flawlessly. Decided to buy one for myself and get rid of my iPhone 3G which seemed ancient in comparison to the SF! The local Argos had one (black), bought it y'day and as soon as I switched it on could tell immediately that the screen looked different to the white. It had very high contrast at the same brightness setting as the white, even with the brightness turned up the black's screen was less 'easy' on the eyes compared to the white's. Colours definitely look better on the white. A quick look at these forums and sure enough, the white's screen was 'TRULY' and the black's, 'LEAD'. The LEAD screen looks a lot darker than the TRULY at the same brightness level as the contrast was exceptionally high, colours looked darker and lowlights mostly lost due to the high contrast when having the same wallpaper.

OK, so proceeded to root the Black SF, Clockwork Mod installed fine, and tried Paul's Froyo MCR r12 ROM first. It booted fine and presto, the touchscreen was completely irresponsive!! Pressed the MENU button and one option seemed permanently highlighted as if a key was being pressed continuously, back to the home screen and after careful examination noted what one poster has already reported..the two tiny dots at the bottom left of the screen were also highlighted in orange. Removed battery and rebooted into recovery by holding PWR and (-) volume together (for some reason the + vol button doesn't work!!). Restored the original Orange B10 ROM from the Nandroid backup I had made initially, touchscreen working perfectly! Tried installing JJ9 and FLB r10b ROMs and got the exact same result (no touchscreen) - I managed to get the touchscreen working once with FLB but a reboot put paid to that. After much frustration, went back to the Orange B10 and touchscreen is working perfectly again, silky smooth.

Seems definitely an issue with the hardware found on these B10 phones and the Froyo ROMS.

Probably will take back the black B10 SF to Argos as apart from the touchscreen issue, the LEAD screen is truly horrible compared to the TRULY.

Many thanks folks for reading my first post, and I shall look forward to enjoying the fantastic contributions of the folks at Modaco over the coming years!

Edited by hcc27

Guest StevenHarperUK

Just "upgraded" a Brand new ZTE-Blade in White (from Argos)

P729BB01

Kernel

2.6.29 zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build

OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

On the BOX - Sticker

ZTE P729B

Barcode - 5027141598512

Productcode OZTN1120

I have used:

UniversalAndroot_1.6.1.apk

RecoveryManager_v0.34b.apk

recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img

Swedish_Spring_RLS2.zip

And everything works.

Guest TheBrainKafka

P729BB01

Kernel

Build

OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

On the BOX - Sticker

ZTE P729B

Barcode - 5027141598512

Productcode OZTN1120

I have used:

Swedish_Spring_RLS2.zip

And everything works.

This one did not work:

Firmware-Version: 2.1-update1

Baseband-Version: P729KB01

Kernel-Version: 2.6.29 zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build-Nummer: P729KV1.0.0B03

Guest FelixL

Try to use the stock boot.img on a 2.1 ROM. It should work. If anybody is able to speak German, we've got someone with something similar in this forum:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/zte-blade-oran...tml#post1200822

In short: he is not able to use any costum rom, doesn't matter if it's 2.1 or 2.2. The touchscreen does not work.

His last post says:

hmm hab auch verschiedene Versionen von Clockwork getestet immer das gleiche.

naja hab dann mal versucht net 2.2 drauf zu packen sondern 2.1 (Swedish_Snow_RLS1). Und oh wunder es geht auch net !! hab dann darauf nur die original boot.img drauf gepackt und es geht wieder ...

wie bekomme ich den treiber aus dem kernel raus ? (aus dem original boot.img)

achja hab dann noch mit dem befehl "cat /dev/input/event1" abgefragt ob der neue kernel überhaupt was anzeigt und nö er zeigt nix an .... (beim original kernel kommen dann halt komische zeichen wenn ich das display berühre... )

aber mit "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" und "cat /proc/bus/input/handlers" kommt bei beiden kernel das gleiche raus also muss er den touchscreen erkannt haben oder ??

Tried different versions of Clockword, but it's always the same.

Then I tried 2.1 (Swedish Snow RLS 1) instead of 2.2, and it didn't work, too. Then I flashed the original boot.img, and it worked!

How do I get the driver out of the original boot.img?

Also tried "cat /dev/input/event1" to see if the new kernel does show something, but it didn't. With the original kernel strange symbols are shown when I touch the display.

But with "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and "cat /proc/bus/input/handlers" the same is shown for both kernels, so the touchscreen should be found by the new kernel, or not?

(Sorry for the bad translation, not much time.)

Guest ronc2000

P729BB01

Kernel

Build

OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

On the BOX - Sticker

ZTE P729B

Barcode - 5027141598512

Productcode OZTN1120

I have used:

Swedish_Spring_RLS2.zip

And everything works.

Before you flashed to new rom, did you check whether it has a LEAD or TRULY screen?

I have not seen many B10 white phones so far, and what is the first 4 digits of the last 7 IMEI number?

I do not think there is a definite patern so it is really weird.

So far the "majority" (or almost all) of the problematic phones are B10 GREY with LEAD screen.

Edited by ronc2000

Guest ronc2000
Both myself and my brother have bought B10's in the last month from 2 different locations, and both were fine, so unless theres another really really new batch out with some issues it looks like he's just unlucky.. although there are a few other people with similar symptoms..

Were they white? grey? LEAD or TRULY screens?

Guest oh!dougal

Has anyone with a no-touch-B10 phone tried to run with Swedish Spring?

I ask that because that should have the very latest ZTE (non-kernel) proprietary software. Newer than B10, I think.

Certainly Swedish Spring has newer versions of the proprietary drivers than anything else on this forum

So, I'd expect it to support any hardware variations that B10 supported.

If Swedish Spring shows the same problem, then my guess would be that the tweak is in the kernel ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Society

P729BB01

Kernel

Build

OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

On the BOX - Sticker

ZTE P729B

Barcode - 5027141598512

Productcode OZTN1120

I have used:

Swedish_Spring_RLS2.zip

And everything works.

Differences on my grey handset with intermittent "touchscreen inactive on boot" problem:

barcode obscured by sticky label not removable without damage to underlying label

Productcode OZTN1122

flb-froyo-blade-r10b.zip (also tried Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9.zip)

Edit: discovered record of original kernel which was 2.6.29 so removed line indicating different kernel from "differences" leaving productcode as obvious difference in stock

Edited by Society

Guest ronc2000

I ask that because that should have the very latest ZTE (non-kernel) proprietary software. Newer than B10, I think.

Certainly Swedish Spring has newer versions of the proprietary drivers than anything else on this forum

If Swedish Spring shows the same problem, then my guess would be that the tweak is in the kernel ...

I did read somewhere the user tried also Swedish Spring with the same non touch result.

Guest hecatae

it's in the boot.img where the problem lies, all that is needed is a boot.img and the config.gz from /proc/config.gz and for someone to do a diff between it and the config from an older device

Guest Society

Mine (OrangeUK product code OZTN1122 per retail box) booted only rarely with touch enabled on JJ9 and flb_r10b but I have now tried Swedish Spring and (subsequent to first boot) it has not (yet) failed to boot with the touchscreen enabled! :D

Guest Number1One

Just got a San fran followed the directions on orangesanfrancisco.co.uk which other people have stated have worked on b10 models.

However it seems i wasn't as lucky after installing JJ the screen is unresponsive, i cannot get off the click on the green android on boot.

Plus i was stupid and followed the guide to the letter, which against my better judgement made no mention of backing up the origianl rom. So can anyone confirm for me if you need a b10 specific stock rom? or point me in the right direction for a stock rom.

I'll try SS now since the guy above had success with it. But if it fails i hope to stick the stock back on it, return it to the shop tommorow and get a replacement and hope my luck is better.

If it helps My San Fran is:

Grey

product code:OZTN1122

IMEI:0958XXX

Guest Number1One

No Luck with Swedish Spring im afraid :D It looks really nice aswell lol.

Does anyone know if i can use any orange stock rom or if b10 has a special one?

Edited by Number1One

Guest Society
Mine (OrangeUK product code OZTN1122 per retail box) booted only rarely with touch enabled on JJ9 and flb_r10b but I have now tried Swedish Spring and (subsequent to first boot) it has not (yet) failed to boot with the touchscreen enabled! :D

Spoke too soon. Left it off for a while and now it's adopted the same unpredictable pattern as with other ROMs - no way of knowing when it'll boot OK.

Guest Number1One

Aww thats sucks mate.

Alot of people phones seem to be working occasionally likes yours, whereas my touchscreen hasnt worked at all since flashing lol.

I hope this gets solved, or at least i can get a stock rom on it and get it replaced for a phone that works lol

Guest chig00

Number1One: this is backup of stock rom i made using clockworkmod on my uk orange san francisco:

http://www.multiupload.com/LPVWUVJAQY

If you have clockworkmod installed try flashing it, should bring your phone back to operational state.

If i'm not mistaken there are two other topics about exactly the same problem: 1 2

Maybe it is good idea to get all conversations into one topic, so that we can help each other. Though not sure which one is better: the first one with more posts but slightly misleading title and first few posts, or current one?