Has anyone managed to use a custom rom on Orange UK B10 ?

Guest Tadger

Guest EazyDuz
so you now get a fully responsive screen just by doing that to unlock it rather than the swipe thingy?

Well i left my phone off for a couple of hours twice yesterday, both had screens that wouldnt respond upon boot up.

So just as a test i turned pattern lock on, turned the phone off all night, turned it on this morning and the screen is working. Could this explain why some B10 users report no problems whereas others do? Seems to me that the patern unlock fixed it.

What possible reason can you think of would cause it to freeze up after an extended period of time being turned off? Doesnt make sense. Will keep testing but if it does happen to freeze up with pattern lock on, im just gonna go back to Eclair or maybe exchange this phone for a samsung galaxy apollo

Guest ShahinTehShiz

Can someone point me to a guide that allows you to put a ROM into the B10 models?

And is it only the newer grey models that are B10? Are the white ones still Gen1?

Thanks

Guest Fluffykins

This from a forum at http://www.chrislowthian.co.uk/upgrade-you...-versions/1898/

Naresh Sharma

To imiy and Paul and all those who had frozen touch screen – my problem got resolved.

All I did was to remove battery and put it back to power the phone on while holding the ‘back’ button hoping it would reboot in recovery mode.

It did not reboot in recovery, instead booted normally but the screen got ‘unfrozen’

Hope that helps but I’d strongly advise using the latest Froyo 2.2 ROM from Modaco forums which does not have this bug.

Anyone fancy trying it?

Guest GytonP
No because what he said about ROMS is a lie.

What in particular is a lie? I just tried holding the 'back' button while turning my problematic B10 phone on and it did work for me. The touchscreen worked normally until I switched the phone off again. Having to press 'back' every time the phone is turned on isn't very convenient though, so I will now try some newer ROMs - the one I was trying to use says it's 'Swedish Spring RLS2' in 'About phone' so possibly isn't the latest.

Is holding 'back' while turning on the phone meant to do anything in particular? I was only aware of the functions involving the volume buttons.

Guest GIRAFFE2011

Well mine also had a locked screen with custom rom i didn't have chance to hold back button but even doing that seem's ridiculous.

I will wait on stock rom until this gets resolved in more appropriate way.

I wonder if there is any 2.1 stable and deoranged rom that will work on these new san francisco's or 2.2 version? any advice appreciated

My phone is:

San Francisco OTE1122 (grey/black)

Purchase date 29 March (new delivery from orange shop)

software build: OUK_P729BV1.0.0B20

hardware build: OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

Guest EazyDuz
Well mine also had a locked screen with custom rom i didn't have chance to hold back button but even doing that seem's ridiculous.

I will wait on stock rom until this gets resolved in more appropriate way.

I wonder if there is any 2.1 stable and deoranged rom that will work on these new san francisco's or 2.2 version? any advice appreciated

My phone is:

As said before just put pattern lock on, should be on anyway so keep your phone private. Fixed it for me. Alternatively, dont turn your phone off, why would you anyway? My old LG Cookie was maybe turned off for about 5 nights within a time period of 2 years, and it used to freeze sometimes anyway due to its own software.

Guest GytonP
What in particular is a lie? I just tried holding the 'back' button while turning my problematic B10 phone on and it did work for me. The touchscreen worked normally until I switched the phone off again. Having to press 'back' every time the phone is turned on isn't very convenient though, so I will now try some newer ROMs - the one I was trying to use says it's 'Swedish Spring RLS2' in 'About phone' so possibly isn't the latest.

Is holding 'back' while turning on the phone meant to do anything in particular? I was only aware of the functions involving the volume buttons.

Have now tried JJ9, Swedish Spring RLS4 and Custom ROM R12. The 'back' button trick worked occasionally with RLS4, but didn't work with JJ9 or R12 (although I didn't try these so many times, so can't say it will never work). I tried the suggestion of enabling an unlock pattern. This worked a couple of times with RLS4, but then stopped working. I've reverted to the stock Orange 2.1 ROM again. All very confusing!

Guest GIRAFFE2011
As said before just put pattern lock on, should be on anyway so keep your phone private. Fixed it for me. Alternatively, dont turn your phone off, why would you anyway? My old LG Cookie was maybe turned off for about 5 nights within a time period of 2 years, and it used to freeze sometimes anyway due to its own software.

How I can do this my screen wasn't responding even on message touch the android to begin ?

Did your sf came with the same version of software build?

My phone is:

Edited by GIRAFFE2011

Guest cicobuff
Managed to fix mine by turning on the draw a pattern unlock, hope this helps

But if you have a totally unresponsive screen trying any ROM other than stock, you cannot even turn on the draw a pattern to unlock option! :D

Guest GIRAFFE2011

Oh one more thing by locked screen i meant totally unresponsive to touch after flashing nothing working not even initial setup however all button presses were registering.

So EazyDuz solution refers to frozen screen while the screen is locked which by my research in the forum was the issue with some earlier SF's ...

Edited by GIRAFFE2011

Guest EazyDuz
Oh one more thing by locked screen i meant totally unresponsive to touch after flashing nothing working not even initial setup however all button presses were registering.

So EazyDuz solution refers to frozen screen while the screen is locked which by my research in the forum was the issue with some earlier SF's ...

Oh well mine is a B10 purchased from Argos last wednesday. Flashed Froyo g2 R11b and if i turned the phone off for a few hours, turned back on the screen wouldnt respond to anything. Since turning pattern lock on the screen seems to work as it should. If your screen never responds well the obvious answer is to revert back to 2.1 and make do until an official 2.2 comes out, which ive heard it will do.

Guest GIRAFFE2011
Oh well mine is a B10 purchased from Argos last wednesday. Flashed Froyo g2 R11b and if i turned the phone off for a few hours, turned back on the screen wouldnt respond to anything. Since turning pattern lock on the screen seems to work as it should. If your screen never responds well the obvious answer is to revert back to 2.1 and make do until an official 2.2 comes out, which ive heard it will do.

I hope someone comes up with a solution since my first failed flash playing now on stock rom and deoranged it myself as much as i could currently trying to set up sdk for android and abd to run commands through, I tried some games and apps and screen works perfect it didnt restart didnt freezee on one note battery drain is pretty fast ...

Guest PrakashDavid
I believe i have a B10 OSF and I followed the simple rooting/flashing guides over at http://orangesanfrancisco.co.uk/ with no problems.

Does this method work without any issues?? It looks really easy and there seems to be no flashing involved as with every other instruction video/tutorials. I would really like to make the most of my SF and would like to install a custom ROM in it. I just want to make sure this site's instructions are trouble free.

Guest Society

Just to further muddy the waters, my B10 will sometimes boot satisfactorily - the touchscreen isn't always unresponsive.

On SS-RLS2 I recorded several attempts to get it booted properly and in every case it was fine on the fifth attempt. Feeling that I'd detected a pattern, I wondered how apparently independent events could group like this. Then I tried again and it booted OK on the fourth attempt so that seemed to scupper the "pattern" notion.

I flashed to SS-RLS4b and it booted first time. Then it booted first time after theming. Twice in a row means I'm on a roll but I quit when I was ahead and I haven't turned it off since. :D

Since typing the above, I've rebooted so as to provide a little more data - and it worked on just the second attempt! B)

Guest EazyDuz
Just to further muddy the waters, my B10 will sometimes boot satisfactorily - the touchscreen isn't always unresponsive.

On SS-RLS2 I recorded several attempts to get it booted properly and in every case it was fine on the fifth attempt. Feeling that I'd detected a pattern, I wondered how apparently independent events could group like this. Then I tried again and it booted OK on the fourth attempt so that seemed to scupper the "pattern" notion.

I flashed to SS-RLS4b and it booted first time. Then it booted first time after theming. Twice in a row means I'm on a roll but I quit when I was ahead and I haven't turned it off since. :D

Since typing the above, I've rebooted so as to provide a little more data - and it worked on just the second attempt! B)

To update. Turned pattern lock off, turned phone off, turned phone on, it wouldn work.

Turned phone off overnight. Turned phone on while pressing volume up, screen now responsive without pattern lock

Guest Chris Banks

This seems a silly question, but some one else also asked it too. Im having the same problem with intermittent touchscreen problems on boot, and my phone was stock on Firmware Version:2.1-update1.

I was wondering if this was this standard before the problems?

Thanks

Guest Rotmann
This seems a silly question, but some one else also asked it too. Im having the same problem with intermittent touchscreen problems on boot, and my phone was stock on Firmware Version:2.1-update1.

I was wondering if this was this standard before the problems?

Thanks

If it has problems on 2.1 your digitizer is broken / the connector is flaky. I would take it back as it may make problems in the future.

@all people with screen problems, did you try to convert your phone to Gen.2? Look at the stickies, maybe it will solve the problem.

Guest sambartle

I've aquired another SF to have a play (a brand new B10), and im happy to flash it to see if I can help (I have some experience with linux and touchscreens from programming POS systems a while back).. only thing is it's my girlfriends phone so if I junk it she'll be mad...

Can I just confirm that a NAND backup from clockwork of the original ROM is good enough to get it working again if it fails with flashed ROMs? (I've not looked into it as all the B10's ive flashed so far have worked fine and been mine (so no death if i broke them :D ))

If not which method are people who have recovered it used (TPT the Modded Stock Orange ROM?)

Can people with the problem also confirm if they have tried a Hungarian TPT and then a flash of a newer ROM to see if that helps?

Guest GytonP
I've aquired another SF to have a play (a brand new B10), and im happy to flash it to see if I can help (I have some experience with linux and touchscreens from programming POS systems a while back).. only thing is it's my girlfriends phone so if I junk it she'll be mad...

Can I just confirm that a NAND backup from clockwork of the original ROM is good enough to get it working again if it fails with flashed ROMs? (I've not looked into it as all the B10's ive flashed so far have worked fine and been mine (so no death if i broke them :D ))

If not which method are people who have recovered it used (TPT the Modded Stock Orange ROM?)

Can people with the problem also confirm if they have tried a Hungarian TPT and then a flash of a newer ROM to see if that helps?

I can confirm that restoring a NAND backup from Clockwork of the original ROM will get the phone working again if upgrading causes a problem.

I haven't tried a Hungarian TPT + flash of newer ROM. Having tried several ROMs without success, I don't see further 'trial and error' approaches as productive. A more scientific investigation of what actually happens during startup of a problematic phone is the only way the issue's likely to be fixed.

Guest sambartle
I can confirm that restoring a NAND backup from Clockwork of the original ROM will get the phone working again if upgrading causes a problem.

I haven't tried a Hungarian TPT + flash of newer ROM. Having tried several ROMs without success, I don't see further 'trial and error' approaches as productive. A more scientific investigation of what actually happens during startup of a problematic phone is the only way the issue's likely to be fixed.

You can do that using adb logcat with the phone off and connected then turning it on.. might give some clues (althugh it doesnt log everything of course as it cant log immediately..)

I've not seen a dump of that as far as I can remember.

Guest GytonP
You can do that using adb logcat with the phone off and connected then turning it on.. might give some clues (althugh it doesnt log everything of course as it cant log immediately..)

I've not seen a dump of that as far as I can remember.

Unfortunately I can't do that now because the person I was supposed to be upgrading the phone for wanted it back! I had had it for a couple of weeks, after telling them it would take less than a day to do, so you can't really blame them...