Android 2.2 on omnia i900

Guest h5n1

Guest MJBukeirrr

Dear Guys,

I've downloaded the latest version 2.2.1 from the original site of the Russian programmer. but its not ready as ghost32 file, I'll try to overwrite the newer files over the old ones in the SD card. and hope it will work.

And is there any one tryed to raise the amount of the ramdisk size or the video vmem I double them and I think it becomes a little bit faster.

can any body check this out for me, is it really become faster or i'm dreaming?

I'll try to increase the amount of ram more than 128mb and see what will happens (RAMSIZE)

"DO NOT try this because as i remember the limit of ram in our device is 128mb" but I'll and tell what happened :D

startup file:

set kernel "Image"

Set ramaddr 0xa0000000

Set RAMSIZE 0x08000000 B)

Set cmdline "root=/dev/mmcblk1p5 ramdisk_size=16384 rootdelay=3 rootwait rw init=/init boot_delay=0 video=pxafb:vmem:772K wifi.mac=00:21:E8:D6:DF:AD"

Set mtype 2276

Set kernelcrc 0

Set fbduringboot 1

Set forcefbduringboot 1

Bootlinux

Guest free2live
Dear Guys,

I've downloaded the latest version 2.2.1 from the original site of the Russian programmer. but its not ready as ghost32 file, I'll try to overwrite the newer files over the old ones in the SD card. and hope it will work.

And is there any one tryed to raise the amount of the ramdisk size or the video vmem I double them and I think it becomes a little bit faster.

I'll try to increase the amount of ram more than 128mb and see what will happens (RAMSIZE)

"DO NOT try this because as i remember the limit of ram in our device is 128mb" but I'll and tell what happened :D

startup file:

set kernel "Image"

Set ramaddr 0xa0000000

Set cmdline "root=/dev/mmcblk1p5 ramdisk_size=16384 rootdelay=3 rootwait rw init=/init boot_delay=0 video=pxafb:vmem:772K wifi.mac=00:21:E8:D6:DF:AD"

Set mtype 2276

Set kernelcrc 0

Set fbduringboot 1

Set forcefbduringboot 1

Bootlinux

hope you'll succeed :D

waiting for new posts from you ;)

Guest thescope

VL@D uploaded it to the English site

Ill try it and report back if GSM or WiFi is working.

Edited by thescope

Guest Dave760

I am using ock ultra lite rom and I did hard reset and installed andaroid 2.2 on a 2 gb sd card,its working a bit slow,my omnia started to get very hot

Guest rbasis
Dear Guys,

startup file:

set kernel "Image"

Set ramaddr 0xa0000000

Set mtype 2276

Set kernelcrc 0

Set fbduringboot 1

Set forcefbduringboot 1

Bootlinux

You can download ghost file from Ghost 2.2.1 31.03.2011 update

I have downloaded ghost version & installed it on SD card, but unable to proceed. Will you please help how to proceed.

Rbasis

Sorry for above link, please use this linkGhost 2.2.1 updated

Edited by rbasis

Guest TarekNajem04

In the (Omnia 2 phone update to android) that I can put the update files as "o2b2update.tar.gz" and then the system start automatic update.

Will you succeed this operation on this system "Omnia 1".

Guest rbasis

Managed to install Android 2.2.1. Definately improved in performance but no GSM is working, screen will automatically goes off after 10 mints. We have to restart the phone.

Guest tushargkwd

I am gonna give it a try now....I will be posting results of my installation of Android 2.2.

BTW....Thanks for sharing the link....Have been waiting for android on Omnia. :D

Guest rbasis
help pls!

aftrer instaling on the SD CARD can;t see it any more to acces it. SD card need's formated

While using Ghost, make manual partion of 1gb for EXT3 & 1gb for FAT. Copy Haret.exe to fat partion & run it.

Guest The Oldlight

Screen resolution? You mean the icon size?

I personally edit build.prop, inside system folder, added a line:

ro.sf.lcd_density=120

run haret and enjoy...

^^

Guest rbasis
Screen resolution? You mean the icon size?

I personally edit build.prop, inside system folder, added a line:

ro.sf.lcd_density=120

run haret and enjoy...

^^

Is GSM working?

Guest flyke

Hi all,

I've followed the steps on the website

(write the gostfile on the SD card, put sd in phone, run haret.exe -> android magic:-) )

However, everything seems to be in russian. Any tip on how to set it to english would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT] nevermind, i've found it! Set it to Dutch now (my native language)

A problem I have is that after a short wile (less than five minutes) the screen goes off (black) and there is no possibility to turn it back on, so I have to reset the phone and run haret again to get back into android. Any tip on how to handle this problem or to delay the short time I have before screen goes black would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks !

Edited by flyke

Guest rbasis
Hi all,

I've followed the steps on the website

(write the gostfile on the SD card, put sd in phone, run haret.exe -> android magic:-) )

However, everything seems to be in russian. Any tip on how to set it to english would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT] nevermind, i've found it! Set it to Dutch now (my native language)

A problem I have is that after a short wile (less than five minutes) the screen goes off (black) and there is no possibility to turn it back on, so I have to reset the phone and run haret again to get back into android. Any tip on how to handle this problem or to delay the short time I have before screen goes black would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks !

For changing language from Russian to English, go to settings & change language.

For screen goes off problem, as this project is still in beta mode, this is a bug & no solution is currently available.

Guest flyke
For changing language from Russian to English, go to settings & change language.

For screen goes off problem, as this project is still in beta mode, this is a bug & no solution is currently available.

Thanks rbasis !

Just in case someone wants to read a little bit more user experience from someone who tried this:

I found the installation to be very easy, so that shouldnt hold you off to try it yourself:

- download and unpack 2 files from the website

- remove your microsd card from your phone and connect it to your computer (micro to normal sd adapter)

- run ghost.exe to place downloaded ghostfile on the sd card

- place haret on fat partition on sd card

- put microsd back in your phone, open explorer and run haret.exe

You'll see it loading and booting into android for a while and then it magically starts up android :)

There isn't much todo:

- not a single connection works:no gsm, no data, no wifi, no gps, ...

- you can compose a message but sending will not work

- there are no games

- there is no android market or anything

- after a few minutes, your phone powers itself off and you can only turn it back on by using reset button

[EDIT] I've time it, total playtime is 6minutes 46seconds before it automatically shuts down, I guess the could vary each time you boot android.

After I reset the phone I often have a problem that while booting i see my lockscreen instead of the option to enter pin code, and I can't unlock it (cannot move unlock slider). So I have to reset a few times after every time I've boot up android. It's like the touchscreen simply 'loses its touch' for a while.

[EDIT] I know it now: touchscreen only works again after removing the battery. So if Android shuts down, remove your battery, wait a few seconds, put it back and start the phone again.

I find the responsiveness to be okay. Not very laggy, so quite okay. I've read on multiple places to open task killer and kill every task.... however if I open the task killer myself, I don't see a single task. So there's really nothing to kill.

When I open the menu, it often happens that when i click on something in the menu (lets say an icon on the top left), that item is not selected but instead the menu button (bottom centre) is selected and then the menu disappears. I find it an oddity :) So its really teaching yourself the best place and way to select a menu item..

You can rumble in the settings, that works. Like changing your language. A lot of languages are supported. Not everything has a translation though, so if you select dutch as language like me, you'll see a mix between dutch and english items and texts.

Clicking on the menu button shows following items:

- advanced taskkiller (as said, running it doesn show any active tasks)

- astro (some file manager)

- messages (sms)

- bluegps (enable/disable gps software + some gps settigns)

- browser (doesn't work offcourse)

- contacts

- gallery (no medium found)

- gscript (dont know what that is)

- settings menu

- music

- another filemanger

- set cpu

- spare parts

- superuser

- phone

- terminal emulator

- videos (doesnt work it says no sd card)

Well, that ends my simple review of the current progress on porting android 2.2.1 to i900. I like it a lot what has been done so far (go russians go!), would love to see this move up to the next level someday.

Edited by flyke

Guest flyke

Question: can anybody get the same result as

?

I dont know how to get that lockscreen or how to install a game like prince of persia on android.

Anybody? Or am I the only one left fidgeting with android on sgh i900 ? :-)

Edited by flyke

Guest mihaidenis
hey all

this is true Russian people was able to boot omnia i900 with android 2.2

https://sites.google.com/site/wituandroid22fixedrussian/

have you tried it ?

let's talk about your experience !!

for me I couldn't the boot sticks at black screen and nothing else happens !!

update: wow it's working !!!

Yes it`s working.

but is useless

HARDWARE is too low on

this device to run

properly linux(android)

So grow up people!

Used like it was intended to:

Win 6.1

or donate it and buy

Android designed one.

This is not a powerful

device

like HTC HD2

So is like trying installing

Win7 on a 386 PC

Guest Zildjian

gotta problem, i've put android 2.2.1 on SD card,

how can i install some apps, phone can't see any files that i put on that card.

keep saying "no sd card"

if i put a file into android folder, crash every time on boot screen,

and if its out of the folder, won't find it when i search it from android.

Edited by Zildjian

Guest flyke
gotta problem, i've put android 2.2.1 on SD card,

how can i install some apps, phone can't see any files that i put on that card.

keep saying "no sd card"

if i put a file into android folder, crash every time on boot screen,

and if its out of the folder, won't find it when i search it from android.

Hi, If you've followed the steps correctly, you've got a fat partition and a ext partition I guess.

Things you place on the root of that fat partition should be visible and accessible.

To install something, find the .apk file on the net and put it on the fat partition. Then browse and click the file with your phone and android should be trying to install it.

It might be better to try the android 2.2 instead of the 2.2.1, the 2.2 does not crash after 6 minutes like the 2.2.1 does.

Take a look at

the guy there installed prince of persia on his i900 with android 2.2