Incompatible Blade "Generations" - Gen1 & Gen2

Guest oh!dougal

Guest AMarinos

Doesn't work correctly, with this text search comes up empty...

Anyway, my output (Greek ZTE bought in March 2011 with 2.1)

Mr.Pigfish says you have a G1 model (I knew that ;-) )

Details (/proc/iomem)

-------------------------

02900000-029fffff: ram_console

02a00000-0ffffffff: System RAM

20000000-2fffffff: System RAM

Edited by AMarinos

Guest targetbsp

I had to get the app just to rate you 5 stars for the icon. :(

And probably of more interest to you, it correctly id'd my Gen 1 phone. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Simon O
Nice work - I think this should be added to the Top of the GUIDE.

We can then have a IF YOU HAVE G2 go to another thread - where we have ROMS/Clockwork for that device.

Does this sound right?

Yes, this needs to be done

Also if ROM devs can add [Gen1] or [Gen2] or even [Gen1&2] to the rom thread title it would be helpful. I've done it to FLB.

I thought Gen1 would be better than saying G1 as I know somebody would be silly enough to flash the rom to their T-Mobile G1 and complain when it doesn't work lol

Edited by flibblesan

Guest kallt_kaffe
Nice work - I think this should be added to the Top of the GUIDE.

We can then have a IF YOU HAVE G2 go to another thread - where we have ROMS/Clockwork for that device.

Does this sound right?

Also in the long run Sebastian could perhaps enhance his Recovery Manager to automaticly choose a Clockwork for the right base image. It's not many lines of code that is needed to detect the baseaddress.

Guest Simon O
Also in the long run Sebastian could perhaps enhance his Recovery Manager to automaticly choose a Clockwork for the right base image. It's not many lines of code that is needed to detect the baseaddress.

kallt_kaffe: What needs to be done to update a ROM to work on Gen2 devices?

Guest StevenHarperUK

I thought it was just a re-compile of the kernel with the right address offset - such a shame we can't make it dynamic - but I imagine there is so much stuff that just assumes that the offset is fixed.

Guest Simon O
I thought it was just a re-compile of the kernel with the right address offset - such a shame we can't make it dynamic - but I imagine there is so much stuff that just assumes that the offset is fixed.

I think some other libs will need to be replaced too. RIL probably, and camera?

I think it'd be better if we could switch from g1 to g2 & back again, then keep a standard format for all the roms. It should be possible with tpt updates, if we can get the right mbn files for a new or officially upgraded 2.2 phone. Has anybody dared to do a tpt on the new gen2 phones? I think that should either break it, or downgrade it to gen1, hopefully the latter.

Edited by wbaw

Guest StevenHarperUK
Yes, this needs to be done

Also if ROM devs can add [Gen1] or [Gen2] or even [Gen1&2] to the rom thread title it would be helpful. I've done it to FLB.

I thought Gen1 would be better than saying G1 as I know somebody would be silly enough to flash the rom to their T-Mobile G1 and complain when it doesn't work lol

Ok Done

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

Guest StevenHarperUK

I think Ask Mr Pig should now have his own thread - so I can sticky it.

Can you please make one Kallt?

Also is it still worth me collecting all the basebands and their GEN1 GEN2 status? (in the table further up)

Do I start a new thread to collect these?

It may be useful for seeing (by the box) what kind your buying?

Guest StevenHarperUK

Also your Market description has "to late" is should be "too late"

Maybe the Text in the APP should be GEN1 and GEN2 not G1 and G2 - as Flibblesan points out G1 means something to other people with androids.

Guest kallt_kaffe

My guess is recompile the kernel for the new baseaddress and console framebuffer address and then replace the ril libs. The camera lib I am pretty sure is connected to changes in the stock 2.2 kernel on the Comviq 2.2 ROM so with a own-compiled kernel you would propably still use the older liboemcamera.so (I use the one from the Japanese 2.2 in Swedish Spring).

I do have a version of Swedish Spring where I left the original ril libs and used the stock kernel that should work on Gen2 phones and but so far I do not know if anyone has even dared trying the x880 Clockwork to confirm if it is working on the new phones.

Guest kallt_kaffe

I agree on changing the naming. I'll convince Mr Pigfish to evolve into a new version and publish it.

Guest kallt_kaffe
I think Ask Mr Pig should now have his own thread - so I can sticky it.

Can you please make one Kallt?

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ask-mr-pigfish/

Also is it still worth me collecting all the basebands and their GEN1 GEN2 status? (in the table further up)

Do I start a new thread to collect these?

It may be useful for seeing (by the box) what kind your buying?

Dunno, do we need it? I suppose there is no harm in harvesting more information.

Guest oh!dougal

I'm not sure there's any point in a lookup table - as in i doubt many folk would use it, and it only informs people with virgin Blades. Soon we'll be having custom Gen2 roms, and a lookup table won't help anyone buying a used/exported Blade with such a thing installed.

That said, I can see benefit in Pigfish evolving towards a general "What's My Blade" app.

It would probably be appreciated to have an app that identified which of the hardware modules from ZTEs pick-and-mix you happened to have ended up with!

The 'dialler secret codes' do most of the work, but it would be nice to have a general I.D. program that could run and collect all the info ready to be copied and pasted into a mail or forum post ...

Remember, the 'screen tint' problem?

Right now it looks as though there might be a different touchscreen driver needed for *some* of Orange's current "B10" offerings.

Would it be possible to use a similar method to pigfish in a shell script that could be run from the rom update zip & then patch the files before the rom installs? That way a single rom zip would work on any blade.

Guest Simon O
Would it be possible to use a similar method to pigfish in a shell script that could be run from the rom update zip & then patch the files before the rom installs? That way a single rom zip would work on any blade.

Easier just to have a small update that replaces the kernel and ril libs.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Easier just to have a small update that replaces the kernel and ril libs.

I bought a T-mobile G1 of eBay some time ago just to get a HVGA phone to test on when doing app development and I couldn't resist messing around with it. So I've installed some custom ROMs and some of the ROMs for the G1 allows you to choose between different kernels during Clockwork install.

Since a Gen2 phone would only boot a Gen2 Clockwork you could perhaps, with edify scripting, identify the Gen-type by looking in /proc/iomem and install the correct kernel and libs automagicly. I haven't really looked into edify scripting but I wouldn't be suprised if it would be possible.

Guest hecatae
I think it'd be better if we could switch from g1 to g2 & back again, then keep a standard format for all the roms. It should be possible with tpt updates, if we can get the right mbn files for a new or officially upgraded 2.2 phone. Has anybody dared to do a tpt on the new gen2 phones? I think that should either break it, or downgrade it to gen1, hopefully the latter.

breaks it, look http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...x880-not-blade/

That was an X880 (Chinese prototype?), not a European Blade. AFAIK the Chinese phones only have 256mb ram, they support other different mobile networks on different frequencies & there may also be be other hardware differences.

There's still a chance that a TPT could break the new European 2.2 blades, but it might not. Somebody will have to risk getting a broken phone to find out. If you can find a way to get those mbn files downloaded off the phone first & whoever tries it creates a full backup first, then we should be able to test it without too much risk of totally bricking their phone if the test doesn't work.

I can't imagine that the Swedes are replacing hardware when they're upgrading phones to 2.2, so it must be a change in one (or more) of those mbn files which could be flashed with a tpt.

Edited by wbaw

Guest hecatae
That was an X880 (Chinese prototype?), not a European Blade. AFAIK the Chinese phones only have 256mb ram & there may also be be other hardware differences.

There's still a chance that a TPT could break the new European 2.2 blades, but it might not. Somebody will have to risk getting a broken phone to find out. If you can find a way to get those mbn files downloaded off the phone first & whoever tries it creates a full backup first, then we should be able to test it without too much risk of totally bricking their phone if the test doesn't work.

I can't imagine that the Swedes are replacing hardware when they're upgrading phones to 2.2, so it must be a change in one (or more) of those mbn files which could be flashed with a tpt.

I can imagine it being something like a qpstbuild.mbn defining the update