ZTE Blade FM Radio chipset + CM7

Guest t0mm13b

Guest Grimthorpe
@Grimthorpe: wow!

Thanks a million for taking the time to answer the dilemma I had :D I be damned... meh... never realized... :D

(Well I cheated using a shell script and to make the user execute the shell script.... )

Ok a follow up question - how do you execute a single shell script with no arguments? what would that be?

Cheers :(

Try this:

run_program("/path/to/script/or/executable", 0);

Glad I could be of help - I've been lurking on this site for years, and its nice to see that my first posting is actually useful!

Guest t0mm13b
Try this:

run_program("/path/to/script/or/executable", 0);

Glad I could be of help - I've been lurking on this site for years, and its nice to see that my first posting is actually useful!

Kudos! :(

You should interact more.... be the guru of clockworkmod scripts :D

Cheers for the time to answer me question! :D

I will intend to blog about this clockwork mod script and will mention you and give you the credit for answering the dilemma that had me flummoxed! ;)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Len Ash
Hey u all are great !!!!!

any further news of merging to cm7

This is an "experimental" ROM - you should look elsehwere if you are that desperate for a "Radio"... development on this scale takes time, respect that.

A couple of weeks ago you were "desperate" for the Dell 2.2 ROM....

Edited by Len Ash

Guest fripp ad

Temp hack to make radio play nonstop:

1. Play any song with music player in repeat mode & phone set to silent mode.

2. Start radio. (will still be audible under silent mode)

The trick is to not let the audio device become idle; if it does then the radio stops playing, or rather it stops being audible. Step 1 does not let this happen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest t0mm13b
Any news on this ?

Missing FM Radio keeps my GF on Swedish Spring...

Unfortunately not yet at the moment, as I am keeping an eye on CM7, the FM Radio service framework is not available in CM7, it was dropped for a reason...

Wait and see... if there's no further improvement in that regard to FM Radio Service framework integration with Android, I will go ahead and work on a simple GUI interface for the FM Radio...

All I can say at this time - watch this space and keep an eye for future posting here... :mellow:

Guest SteliosGR
Unfortunately not yet at the moment, as I am keeping an eye on CM7, the FM Radio service framework is not available in CM7, it was dropped for a reason...

Wait and see... if there's no further improvement in that regard to FM Radio Service framework integration with Android, I will go ahead and work on a simple GUI interface for the FM Radio...

All I can say at this time - watch this space and keep an eye for future posting here... :mellow:

We all hope to have a radio app for CM7 soon...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest _amano

According to Fonix232 in the CM7 Nightly thread, Tom_G is now working on it. According to Fonix the CM7-FM framework came to nothing and now it will be implemented on the low level. I don't know though if Tom_G collaborates with t0mm13b now or if he continues where t0mm13b got to.

@t0mm13b: seconds too late. Is it true that it is now officially (=Tom G/Jacob) worked on, Tom?

Edited by _amano

Guest t0mm13b
According to Fonix232 in the CM7 Nightly thread, Tom_G is now working on it. According to Fonix the CM7-FM framework came to nothing and now it will be implemented on the low level. I don't know though if Tom_G collaborates with t0mm13b now or if he continues where t0mm13b got to.

@t0mm13b: seconds too late. Is it true that it is now officially (=Tom G/Jacob) worked on, Tom?

Uhm...

Not 100% sure, AFAIK Tom_G continued on from there but never got around to doing something about it as he has a regular 9am-5pm job (so do I... when I find the time to deal with it I will... just have to be patient about this.... )

Currently, the way I see it right now as of this exact minute - get CM7 stable, no GPS reboots, charging reboots, bugs etc... and once the dust settles, then the focus will switch to it am sure... right now, its messy to be chasing after one tiny aspect when other priorities get in the way. That IMHO is the best thing to do first before dealing with a minor thing about the FM radio which is not a priority per se, also, Jacob has exams right now so, don't bug him either about it... :)

Blame ZTE for the messed up hotch-potch of kernel kludges and awkward drivers :unsure:

Guest _amano

Big thanks for sharing that information.

I hope that the FM radio will not be forgotten, now that relatively stable versions of Cyanogenmod exist (N72 fixed version as the best example).

Guest kol0bok
Please see here and here for status.... :P

I am slightly confused. Does this control daemon need a dedicated kernel device driver to access the hardware? If no, couldn't someone just port an existing (opensource?) FM radio app to use the daemon directly?

A quick search pointed to https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=7073 and Spirit FM radio which might be adopted to use the t0mm13b's daemon. Couldn't it?

Guest t0mm13b
I am slightly confused. Does this control daemon need a dedicated kernel device driver to access the hardware? If no, couldn't someone just port an existing (opensource?) FM radio app to use the daemon directly?

A quick search pointed to https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=7073 and Spirit FM radio which might be adopted to use the t0mm13b's daemon. Couldn't it?

Yes, it does need a modified driver source to be compiled into the kernel :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wishmasterf
Yes, it does need a modified driver source to be compiled into the kernel :D

Is this project still alive? will there be a easy to use radio app for cm7?

Guest kogos
Is this project still alive? will there be a easy to use radio app for cm7?

from the latest nightly, "FM Radio: add silabs si4709"... so, i we're getting pretty close on having fm radio on blade's CM7

Guest wishmasterf
from the latest nightly, "FM Radio: add silabs si4709"... so, i we're getting pretty close on having fm radio on blade's CM7

Sorry read this:

FM Radio: add silabs si4709

adds JNI interface to silabs si4709 FM Radio chip used in the

international Samsung Galaxys S.

The kind of radio chip is controlled by BOARD_FM_DEVICE because

we have a bcm4329 wifi chip that would conflict with the other

definitions in the make file.

Change Ibbcd0b89: FM Radio: add silabs si4709

Guest _amano

The Samsung Galaxy S seems to have the same chip. That is pretty fine. If they get that chip going for the S it will be a breeze to adapt those changes for the Blade.

Guest Stephane K.

Hi all,

I am working on this.

I got the radio to start with FM.apk from CM. I created a new JNI cpp file for the chip that's on the Blade the Si4708, CM FM radio has support for Si4709 a different chip.

The main difference I think is the driver that is included with the kernel in cm for blade, that's the driver by Zte, not the OSS linux driver. So I used the definitions in the header included in the zteblade_fmtest code.

I seems to work, kind of, it goes off all the time unless you touch the volume button. Seek seems to be OK but super slow.

A big chunk of work is in the build, I changed the makefiles for the blade to enable FM and enable that specific chip, a bit of a hassle but I got there. No change at all in the Java code of FM.apk if anyone wants to help, contact me.

Guest Stephane K.

I have worked on the code a little now, I had issues with the band and the step, also the Java app sends frequencies like 87500 and we need to send 8750 to the device, all this done, now it works! with the nice GUI of CM FM Radio app!

I cannot distribute an APK though since the changes are in a system C library, I'll submit the changes to the CM maintainers.

Big issue though, it keeps going off unless you change the volume, any idea about that?