[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest stephen m
Think about when it freezes and reboots. Is it say, a few minutes after opening certain apps?

Thanks. I'll check that one.

Guest targetbsp
Just checked - currently running at 320MHz (Min) and 768MHz (Max) - too high ! If so what would you suggest

So... you're running at a max cpu speed of 768 on a 600mhz cpu and wondering why it's freezing? :rolleyes: I'd suggest lowering your max until it stops freezing. :P

Guest stephen m
So... you're running at a max cpu speed of 768 on a 600mhz cpu and wondering why it's freezing? <_< I'd suggest lowering your max until it stops freezing. :rolleyes:

Many of our forum friends are running their Blades at well above 600MHz also :P Anyone any thoughts on a preferred speed

Guest Waws
Many of our forum friends are running their Blades at well above 600MHz also :P Anyone any thoughts on a preferred speed

Many people report 710 MHz as stable. I am running on 672 MHz to be on the safe side.

I guess the only way to know is to try it on your phone. Variations in the CPU gives you more or less potential to overclock.

Edit:

Talking about the CPU, what is the difference between ondemand and smartass governor?

Edited by Waws

Guest Decadence

Most blades seem to be able to run fine at 691MHz whilst some can stretch to 710MHz

Guest targetbsp

Including me. But 768 is pushing it! 710 seems to be what most people get. The phone is rated to 600Mhz and that's it. Anything over that is a bonus. You have to work out what your individual phone can do because everyone will have a different limit. You can't just pick a number out of thin air and then wonder why it's freezing often. :rolleyes:

The only way you can find an overclock limit for any device is trial and error. So, as I said, lower your max until it works. If you're overclocking anything in the future, for the safety of your hardware, you'd generally take the opposite approach and start low and work up until it crashes then go one lower than the speed that crashed.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest k0zmic

To those who overclock, does the phone actually feel faster or does it only help in games and things?

If so, what settings do you use?

I've never gone over 600MHz since I never felt compelled to do so.

Guest dadashi

the first summer for SanFrancisco / Blade is approaching....the real test of how it works in the heat ...

My son usually sticks his SF in his jean pocket and at least on two occasions it has over heated and froze or just stopped dead....luckily 5 minutes rest and a plug into the mains brings it back to life...

so I don't understand why would anyone want to oc their SF and heat it up more..what's the point...!?

I reminds me of the days of pentium 133 how people were excited they could overclock to a staggering 150Mhz!!! And made comparissons of the extra speed they were getting....people never change....

If you want speed in your smart phone go buy the new LG with dual core 2x1Ghz cpu...

Edited by dadashi

Guest targetbsp

lol. I've played intensive games (Tower Raiders 2 specifically) on mine outside for hours whilst sunbathing at low to mid 20's C and it coped fine! Overclocked.

Outside of gaming (where the GPU matters more) the CPU is the single most important factor in a computers speed. If you can make it faster for free (and you can) then do so. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to. If you have no interest in getting the best performance you can out of your phone then you could just as easily question why you are running Cm7 over the potentially more stable Froyos. Because most people argue they're doing so because it's faster...

Incidentally, whilst 133 to 150 sounds small, back then it was a greater than 10% faster computer for free. And that speed difference without overclocking would have cost you a LOT back in those days!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Pondlife
Outside of gaming (where the GPU matters more) the CPU is the single most important factor in a computers speed. If you can make it faster for free (and you can) then do so. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to.

I'd agree for anything plugged in but surely it uses the battery faster and these don't last that long enough on a charge for my liking to want to reduce it.

Guest sej7278
the first summer for SanFrancisco / Blade is approaching....the real test of how it works in the heat ...

My son usually sticks his SF in his jean pocket and at least on two occasions it has over heated and froze or just stopped dead....luckily 5 minutes rest and a plug into the mains brings it back to life...

so I don't understand why would anyone want to oc their SF and heat it up more..what's the point...!?

I reminds me of the days of pentium 133 how people were excited they could overclock to a staggering 150Mhz!!! And made comparissons of the extra speed they were getting....people never change....

If you want speed in your smart phone go buy the new LG with dual core 2x1Ghz cpu...

you're missing the point of overclocking anything - you're getting extra speed for free (well, a bit more heat and less battery life) and to a degree just proving that it can be done.

its the difference between an £90 san francisco overclocked to 700mhz and a £150+ smartphone that does 700mhz stock.

that said, its a phone that can't play flash video, so why do we need it to go faster?

Guest Pondlife

Seen that this is available all over the world so surely there should be people able to tell us how it fares in warmer temperatures. Anyone been using one in the Southern hemisphere's summer in December, January and February who can let us know?

Guest targetbsp
I'd agree for anything plugged in but surely it uses the battery faster and these don't last that long enough on a charge for my liking to want to reduce it.

Except I'm the guy whose battery life is so great people have looked upon my claims with scepticism in the past. :P You can't up the voltage on this thing which is where most of the power consumption and heat comes from in most overclocking scenarios. (Upping the voltage allows equipment to overclock higher for anyone wondering why I bring it up) And the CPU speed is on demand anyway.

Guest dadashi
........that said, its a phone that can't play flash video, so why do we need it to go faster?

actually it can and has and still does play flash perfectly in any browser....only hitch it only works in 2.1 eclair using "flashlite"...

All these great devs trying to advance the blade and not one has tried to make "flashlite" work in 2.2 froyo or 2.3....?

I would have thought that would be next most important thing to solve....I've mentioned it enough times here and in the froyo threads....

and then I get answeres from smarty pants 12 year olds telling me we don't need flash....I suppose they wouldn't seeing as they only need the SF to chat to friends, tweet and facbook and listen to music and show each other short films.....

what about bbc iplayer and 4oD and channel5 and catchup and flash websites and news feeds and ***tube.... and...and...

Edited by dadashi

Guest targetbsp
and then I get answeres from smarty pants 12 year olds telling me we don't need flash....I suppose they wouldn't seeing as they only need the SF to chat to friends, tweet and facbook and listen to music and show each other short films.....

I'm a 32 year old computer programmer and I'm telling you we don't need flash. :rolleyes: It's a horrific piece of slow, insecure software that's obsoleted by HTML 5 - if only the UK's TV streaming services would wake up and realise that. :P

Guest k0zmic

Did some quick tests to compare boot up speed when overclocked to 652MHz compared to 600MHz.

650MHz was 10 seconds faster.

Guest k0zmic
I'm a 32 year old computer programmer and I'm telling you we don't need flash. :rolleyes: It's a horrific piece of slow, insecure software that's obsoleted by HTML 5 - if only the UK's TV streaming services would wake up and realise that. :P

Yes, someone tell BBC please. If they can make an iPlayer app for iOS that doesn't require Flash then it shouldn't it be relatively simple to make one for most Android phones without Flash?

Guest gitly-git

Tried N82, suffers from WiFi dropping connection. So reverted back to last good build.

P.S. Why all the off subject comments about Overclocking and flash?

Edited by gitly-git

Guest dadashi

there we go, you've admitted it..... every tv channel, news paper, online video has flash streams....I'd love to watch a news stream, watch something on iplayer, watch a flash video from the Guardian or newspaper.....

Nearly every day I get a message "this file cannot be played, please install the flash plugin"

We're comparable to iphone users who only dream of flash on their phones....

Guest dadashi

just to remind people how easy it was to install flash plugin in 2.1 eclair....

Install the "FlashPlugin.apk"

and put the three

libflashlite_jni.so, libflashliteplugin.so, libflashlitepackage.so in the system/lib folder...

and it was fixed, played any flash in any browser from nay website including iplayer and 4oD etc....

Download Flashlite for SF 2.1 eclair

Edited by dadashi

Guest emc02
there we go, you've admitted it..... every tv channel, news paper, online video has flash streams....I'd love to watch a news stream, watch something on iplayer, watch a flash video from the Guardian or newspaper.....

Nearly every day I get a message "this file cannot be played, please install the flash plugin"

We're comparable to iphone users who only dream of flash on their phones....

yes, but the payed a lot more for their Ei-Phone (Ei means egg in german) ;-)

Guest sm4tik
Did some quick tests to compare boot up speed when overclocked to 652MHz compared to 600MHz.

650MHz was 10 seconds faster.

Does CM do overclocking before the boot process starts? (edit: ..no it doesn't, but you get the point, right?) I was in the understanding that the oc part kicks in later, so the oc'd cpu frequency doesn't really make boot time faster? I may be absolutely wrong here, it's more of a question really.

Edited by sm4tik

Guest admanirv
just to remind people how easy it was to install flash plugin in 2.1 eclair....

Install the "FlashPlugin.apk"

and put the three

libflashlite_jni.so, libflashliteplugin.so, libflashlitepackage.so in the system/lib folder...

and it was fixed, played any flash in any browser from nay website including iplayer and 4oD etc....

Download Flashlite for SF 2.1 eclair

Why not use skyplayer? from the little Ive used it, it handles bbc/4od stuff fine.