[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest frequence

Since i was bored yesterday i switched from JJ9 to CM 7.0.2.

What can i say. Wow.....had a noticible speed boost along with longer battery.

only bug is that adw launcher sometimes crashes but i use launcher pro so i dont realy care.

all in all i am happy with 7.0.2 for the next weeks untill the newer releases have fewer bugs.

Proximity sensor working correctly on N83?

No, it's not. And wifi is quite unreliable. It connects and disconnects repeatedly.

EDIT: ok, I solved the disconnecting Wi-Fi. I switched from DHCP to static adress. But still, I don't have the slightest idea why.

Edited by bhf

Guest Maz2011
I was using Skyfire the other day (in France) to watch a BBC4 programme I missed the other night.

Skyfire certainly works fine with BBC radio programmes on BBC-Iplayer but the last time I tried TV it wouldnt work because the Skyfire servers (where they do the compression/recoding) are located in the US and Iplayer wont stream outside the UK.

That applies even when the end user is in the UK, so I am curious as to why it worked for you.

It's easy enough to access Iplayer TV programmes from outside the UK by using a VPN: I do it all the time. But the Blade wont handle Flash natively and so even with a VPN it isnt possible to use the Blade to view Iplayer streams. You can only do it via Skyfire, and that doesnt normally work because of the geo-locking. Vicious circle.

Guest champrock

Proximity sensor still gives the same problem. Works once, but doesnt work after that.

By "everything fine" i meant, that things seem to be similar to previous nightlies.

I am using the batterydrain patch by replacing the libaudio.so file. Lets see how it goes.

Edited by champrock

Guest _amano

Does it work with auto brightness turned off?

Hmm. It would be interesting to know what commit(s) caused the proximity regression (all listed changes are within android_frameworks_base):

cm_blade_full-67.zip

sensors: Allow target to override max range of proximity sensor

cm_blade_full-70.zip

Don't enable the light sensor if it's not being used

cm_blade_full-72.zip

blade: new sensor lib (proximity worked at least, when auto brightness was turned off)

cm_blade_full-73.zip

Revert Change I5ec0e757: Don't enable the light sensor if it's not being used (but reintroduced in N79!!!)

Removing unnecessary computation (was that sensor related? was it really unncessary???)

cm_blade_full-77.zip

sensors: Allow target to override max range of proximity sensor (again?? wasn't that patch merged for N67???)

cm_blade_full-79.zip

Revert "Revert Change I5ec0e757: Don't enable the light sensor if it's not being used" (aka everything should be at the level of N72 since that backout happened for N73)

Fix button backlights that depend on ALS (Part II - probably a partial revert? - was merged in N83)

cm_blade_full-83.zip

Fix button backlights that depend on ALS, part II

Part of the regression was in N73. Since the "Don't enable the light sensor" patch was reintroduced in N79, maybe the "unnecessary computation" wasn' t that unnecessary? Maybe someone with a build environment set up can test a manual revert of that patch? All in all there is just too much messing around with the sensors :P

Edited by _amano

Guest CaptainSpectacular
Please test if the proximity sensor works when you turn off auto brightness. With the ALS patch everything should be at a similar level to N72, where the proximity sensor works if you turn auto brightness off.

Yeah, but that's the main problem for some of us. The proximity sensor doesn't work properly, EVEN with auto-brightness off... It should be ok, we just have to crouch the phone before answering a call. :rolleyes: But it's just a little bit boring. Hope it'll be fixed one day.

Does it work with auto brightness turned off?

Hmm. It would be interesting to know what commit(s) caused the proximity regression (all listed changes are within android_frameworks_base):

cm_blade_full-67.zip

sensors: Allow target to override max range of proximity sensor

cm_blade_full-70.zip

Don't enable the light sensor if it's not being used

cm_blade_full-72.zip

blade: new sensor lib --> Proximity worked, when auto brightness was turned off

cm_blade_full-73.zip

Revert Change I5ec0e757: Don't enable the light sensor if it's not being used --> But reintroduced in N79!!!

Removing unnecessary (???) computation?

cm_blade_full-77.zip

sensors: Allow target to override max range of proximity sensor (again?? wasn't that patch merged for N67???)

cm_blade_full-79.zip

Revert "Revert Change I5ec0e757: Don't enable the light sensor if it's not being used"

Fix button backlights that depend on ALS (Part II, probably a partial revert, was merged in N83)

cm_blade_full-83.zip

Fix button backlights that depend on ALS, part II

Part of the regression was in N73. Since the "Don't enable the light sensor" patch was introduced again in N79, maybe the "unnecessary computation" wasn' t that unnecessary.

And yeah again, agree with that. :P Without that little "thing" I think n80 should be the almost perfect nightly. <_<

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest _amano

For now the fixed N72 + the fixed libaudio.so + autobrightness off seems to be the most stable thing for everyday use. No apparent battery drain, all sensors working as they should and the accellerometer fixed.

Edited by _amano

Guest CaptainSpectacular
For now the fixed N72 + the fixed libaudio.so + autobrightness off seems to be the most stable thing for everyday use. No apparent battery drain, all sensors working as they should and the accellerometer fixed.

Yes I agree, just the fact we cannot use auto-brightness make it a little bit frustrating. :rolleyes: For now I'm using n70, wich haven't the new sensors lib but I rarely using it. :P

Guest Orbbman
Yes, battery life is massively improved with either N81 or N82 and the above in this thread mentioned new libaudio.so.

I'm on N83 with new libaudio.so and testing that right now. First impression: no big improvement, but we'll see.

Edited by Orbbman

Guest marcodassi
Has anyone beeing able to use the app permission fake function in the new nightly? I activated it in the Cyanogenmod-Settings but nothing changed at Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications menu.

Works here.

Just scroll down after you've selected the application you want to tweak... permissions are at the bottom :P

EDIT: ... and tap on the permission you want to enable / disable! There's no visible buttons...

Edited by marcodassi

Guest gusthy
there we go, you've admitted it..... every tv channel, news paper, online video has flash streams....I'd love to watch a news stream, watch something on iplayer, watch a flash video from the Guardian or newspaper.....

Nearly every day I get a message "this file cannot be played, please install the flash plugin"

We're comparable to iphone users who only dream of flash on their phones....

Sure, but a 600MHz ARM CPU will never be able to play flash correctly.

Guest dadashi

like I wrote a couple of pages back, it actualy plays flash perfectly, even iplayer and co....only in 2.1 eclair

Edited by dadashi

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I believe you are all confusing the issue about flash. The issue is very simple: for reasons known to them, Adobe has decided not to support flash for the chip in the blade. Saying it would be impossible is both false and irrelevant. There is no 3rd party hack to get it to work, so you can't have it. That's all.

Guest sej7278

actually years ago flash 3/4 could play on a 200mhz strongarm (arm v4), flash 7 worked on a 600mhz xscale (arm v5)

for flash 10 you officially need a 550mhz cortex a8 (arm v7) like in the iphone/droid, but i'm sure our 600mhz arm11 (also arm v7) would be fine.

specifically you don't need a dual core 1ghz snapdragon as adobe would have you believe!

whilst i could have a business use for flash, i don't really miss it - i don't game on my phone and i download from iplayer instead of streaming it. i certainly wouldn't buy a £500 smartphone for it and would prefer if everyone would just switch to html5.

Edited by sej7278

Guest dadashi
..... There is no 3rd party hack to get it to work, so you can't have it. That's all.

"Flashlite" flash plugin worked perfectly for the Sanfrancisco in 2.1 eclair, so who is to say someone wont modify that for 2.2 and 2.3 CM android as well...

Guest k0zmic
actually years ago flash 3/4 could play on a 200mhz strongarm (arm v4), flash 7 worked on a 600mhz xscale (arm v5)

for flash 10 you officially need a 550mhz cortex a8 (arm v7) like in the iphone/droid, but i'm sure our 600mhz arm11 (also arm v7) would be fine.

specifically you don't need a dual core 1ghz snapdragon as adobe would have you believe!

whilst i could have a business use for flash, i don't really miss it - i don't game on my phone and i download from iplayer instead of streaming it. i certainly wouldn't buy a £500 smartphone for it and would prefer if everyone would just switch to html5.

Ours is arm V6. Flash needs V7.

Flash will still be around for sometime. Why? Because HTML 5 streams are harder to secure, I doubt Hulu, Netflix, iPlayer and other streaming services will switch anytime soon.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest sej7278
"Flashlite" flash plugin worked perfectly for the Sanfrancisco in 2.1 eclair, so who is to say someone wont modify that for 2.2 and 2.3 CM android as well...

wasn't that version flash 9 though? flashlite 3.1 that was ripped from the froyo htc incredible (1ghz snapdragon) was flash 10.1

Ours is arm V6. Flash needs V7.

Flash will still be around for sometime. Why? Because you can't secure HTML 5 streams, I doubt Hulu, Netflix, iPlayer and other streaming services will switch anytime soon.

yup sorry, our specific arm11 is arm v6 instruction set.

isn't it typical that inferior (and insecure) formats and protocols are used purely because they can be copy-protected?!

Edited by sej7278

Guest Fou-lu

android flash support was added in 2.2? before then flash didn't work AFAIK

Guest k0zmic
isn't it typical that inferior (and insecure) formats and protocols are used purely because they can be copy-protected?!

It is. But if they didn't use copy protected protocols I doubt the distributors would even allow us to watch any of the stuff.

If I was the distributor I would do the same, purely from a business perspective.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

flashlite did work on 2.1, but unless you start work porting in to 2.2/2.3 the the situation won't change. Flash may have run on a 69Hz 8 bit processor in 1960, but there is no version of flash that works on the blade with 2.2/2.3. Android may support flash, but flash doesn't support the blade, so you cannot have flash on your blade with android. There is no way out of this until someone makes a 3rd party port of flash lite or something similar or if Adobe does a backflip. Neither is likely, methinks.

Guest Aab2011

Its only been about 4months that we have had decent 2.2 ROMs and a couple of months for 2.3, so it is possibly early days still.

But then again, if any of the developers or coders on this forum had a big enough interest in Flash, I think they would of voiced an opinion or stated they are working on it by now.

Perhaps you need to pursue this on another forum, maybe you already have; but I think given the luke warm reception of the idea, regardless of the fact we know it works in 2.1, means we are probably not likely to be using flash from this point on.

It is slightly jarring, as there are a few times I have come a cropper on a site that uses flash as well.

Just like to add, having visiting a certain anonymous message board around a year ago, I cannot see the word Flashlite without misspelling the 3rd character in my mind.

Edited by Aab2011

Mmm don't mean to be rude guys, but could we please stick to CM7 in this topic?

You can still create a dedicated thread to continue this little fight of yours about flash :P

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest