[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest mon3em

On n120+libaudio fix stll battery drain>>> turned off wifi,gps,data then didn't touch the phone for 7 hours (sleeping). got 20% battery drain.

Guest lordofangels
Thanks, next time, if it isnt too much hassle, could you also post the Md5# tags aswell, it will save me from having to switch to the 1 page ever

Your welcome, will include the Md5 # tag next nightly.

Guest KACE_231
On n120+libaudio fix stll battery drain>>> turned off wifi,gps,data then didn't touch the phone for 7 hours (sleeping). got 20% battery drain.

Same battery drain, switched off WiFi and GPS, was on 3G/HSDPA + Data, overnight, got a full 70% battery drain, something doesnt seem right.

Retesting now from full charge

Guest Kuoi

Out of curiosity I running CM n120 now.

I'm coming from Ginger Stir Fry b9 , wich is very nice , fast , smoothless running ,and battery drain is incredible low.

I wanted to give this a try to compare.

Overnight CM n120 battery drain was -18%

Overnight GSF b9 battery drain was -1%

I just did a full charge ... rebooted , and on start up it shows 92%.

I recharged now to 100% , see how long it takes to get to -95%

I just turned of brightness now , because imo that consumes a lot.

And I always turn it of in GSF b9 , so had to do it with CM n120 too to be fair .

I will do some more tests , like wifi and gps and will report later.

I must say CM n120 has some nice futures and is running smooth now (did test CM7 before ,and that time it was full of bugs) , but to me the battery drain is the most important thing.

Greetings , Kuoi

Edited by Kuoi

Guest Kuoi
Quick-and-dirty batch file for libaudio.so replacing (using ADB):

1. Copy and paste the following lines to "push libaudio.bat":

adb start-server

adb remount

adb push libaudio.so /system/lib/

adb shell chmod 644 /system/lib/libaudio.so

adb reboot

adb kill-server

2. Place your no-battery-draining libaudio.so in the same directory of the batch file

3. Connect your Blade via USB and launch the batch file

4. Blade will reboot after a while, using the newly pushed libaudio.so

Have fun!

ADB ??

Isn't there a easier way ?

Like replacing the libaudio.so file in the rom zip , and reflash ?

ADB ?

Guest mon3em
ADB ??

Isn't there a easier way ?

Like replacing the libaudio.so file in the rom zip , and reflash ?

ADB ?

i do add system\lib\libaudio.so in the zip before i flash.it work fine i think.

Guest Kuoi
i do add system\lib\libaudio.so in the zip before i flash.it work fine i think.

I did that , and it works.

I'll flash the gps fix now , to see if that helps.

I just used maps and had my first reboot :)

BTW : Can I install FM_zte , and will it work well , or do I have to remove fm.apk first ??

Greetings , Kuoi

Edited by Kuoi

Guest Kuoi

I'm going back to GSF b9 , sorry

Battery drain is not good here compared to GSF b9.

After 3 times testing fm radio , it seems not to work very well and blocks the phone.

Maybe I come back when CM7 is "almost" bugfree , but imo it isn't running as smooth as is should be.

It can sound a bit annoying , but GSF b9 is "almost" bugfree and running VERY smooth on version b9

CM7 is at n121 and doesn't run that smooth yet.

Greetings , and believe me ... i like CM7 much , but it must run smooth and till today it isn't .

Kuoi

Edited by Kuoi

Guest buneech

Are you seriously comparing version numbers of two completely different projects?

CM7 isn't at number 121, but at a nightly build 121, which is HIGHLY experimental. Also it is an AOSP project, not derivated from a ROM, like GSF.

Guest Kuoi
Are you seriously comparing version numbers of two completely different projects?

CM7 isn't at number 121, but at a nightly build 121, which is HIGHLY experimental. Also it is an AOSP project, not derivated from a ROM, like GSF.

But I didn't had any reboot or crash in GSF at any time.

It is running so smooth ... and the battery drain is "uncomparable" imo.

Greetings

Guest buneech

Yeah, but still, does HIGHLY experimental mean anything to you?

GSF is based on a leak ROM - a rom created by ZTE developers, who have access to all source code needed for creating ROMs for the Blade. Of course it has uncomparable battery drain, and smoothness in the menus..

CM developers only have Android source code and incomplete kernel source code, and have to work everything out by themselves.

Guest Anil k Solanki
Yeah, but still, does HIGHLY experimental mean anything to you?

GSF is based on a leak ROM - a rom created by ZTE developers, who have access to all source code needed for creating ROMs for the Blade. Of course it has uncomparable battery drain, and smoothness in the menus..

CM developers only have Android source code and incomplete kernel source code, and have to work everything out by themselves.

Hi buneech,

I am thinking of moving from SS RLS5, to a Gingerbread ROM, your responses have enlightened me to the source differences between, the Cyanogen project and the leaked ZTE ROM.

My question, simply is; if I am a user who wants a solid reliable ROM, what would you recommend? I tried Cyanogen a few months back but had to change ROMs because of the overnight charging reboot problem. Would you say that Cyanogen is better suited to dev's who appreciate the fact that is a work of love in progress? And the leaked ROM although of questionable origins has less problems?

I really appreciate your time and look forward to your insights.

Regards, Anil.

Guest timfimjim
Or you can use this clockwork usable zip-file: It updates libcamera and libaudio in one step.

Cheers for that - very useful!

What is the change to libcamera though? Thanks

edit: i think ive found the fix - it's something to do with exposure yes?

Edited by timfimjim

Guest k0zmic
My question, simply is; if I am a user who wants a solid reliable ROM, what would you recommend? I tried Cyanogen a few months back but had to change ROMs because of the overnight charging reboot problem. Would you say that Cyanogen is better suited to dev's who appreciate the fact that is a work of love in progress? And the leaked ROM although of questionable origins has less problems?

Regards, Anil.

Go for Ginger Stir Fry, it feels rock solid and stable. Personally, I would consider the 'new SS' due to the stability, battery life and vast number of themes on offer.

Guest buneech

Exactly as k0zmic said, go for Ginger Stir Fry. CM7 really is a work of love in progress with some added functionality. And it's great, but not suitable for those who need a rock solid ROM.

Edited by buneech

What is the change to libcamera though? Thanks

edit: i think ive found the fix - it's something to do with exposure yes?

That's right. Refer to this thread in the issue tracker for further information. There are some sample pics taken with the predecessor of this patch. This one optimizes the exposure levels for the five mpx camera in most of the european Blade incarnations.

Guest targetbsp
But I didn't had any reboot or crash in GSF at any time.

It is running so smooth ... and the battery drain is "uncomparable" imo.

Greetings

CM7 will standby for several days. How much better can GSF be? :)

Exactly as k0zmic said, go for Ginger Stir Fry. CM7 really is a work of love in progress with some added functionality. And it's great, but not suitable for those who need a rock solid ROM.

Well, I strongly disagree. At least the CyanogenMod 7.1.0-RC1 with afore mentioned patches is a rock solid ROM. Even the annoying fm radio works for those who are stuck in the eighties. :)

Edited by bhf

Guest Anil k Solanki

Many thanks buneech & k0zmic, I will update to GSF. Just need to work out an update strategy so I spend minimal time moving in and getting everything as I like it.

Just one final question for you both. I have a 1GB EXT partition on my 16GB SD card, for A2SD for installed apps. Would I need to wipe the SD card and start again? Or can I leave the SD card as is and just wipe the FAT32 partition? What would be the best course of action?

Many thanks to you both for your time & patience.

Anil.

Guest k0zmic

You just wipe the EXT partition and then restore the apps on your new ROM via Titanium Backup (only user apps of course).

You don't need to touch the FAT32 partition.

Guest hugobosslives
Well, I strongly disagree. At least the CyanogenMod 7.1.0-RC1 with afore mentioned patches is a rock solid ROM. Even the annoying fm radio works for those who are stuck in the eighties. :)

i disagree too. after having tried the leaked rom for the past week. i would say that it is only very slightly "more stable". pretty much no difference.

i agree that the new rom has slightly better battery life (for me 36 hours on zte gingerbread and 30ish hours on cm7 gingerbread [on average]). but i miss all the cyanogenmod goodies. I had to download loads of extra apps like widgetlocker so i had a customizable lock screen with my music widget on it etc.

i also missed the game performance. there is no comparision between playing games like nova2. on cm7 = awesome. on stir fry = major lag

i recommend to everyone reading this to give cm7 a try. (you can always flash another rom if you do not like). it is definitely a 'everyday rom'.

Guest k0zmic

Yeah, I miss the CM goodies.

I haven't tried Nova 2 so I can't comment on that. But games like Contract Killer, Asphalt 5 and Sandstorm work great on Stir Fry. The original Angry Birds had some weird issues with stars and textures missing on CM7 too.

But the main reason I use Stir Fry (ATM) is because my proximity sensor hates CM7 so the screen just goes black during a call and I have to resort to a battery pull sometimes.

I'll probably give CM7 another spin, I would be using it now if it wasn't for the proximity issue.