[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sm4tik
Why not released or is reviewing in progress?

review

The new kernel needs quite a lot of fixes before it's ready for every day use. Hope it's not going to take too long as lot of the things have atleast the same symptoms as the older kernel did. Have a look a couple of pages back.. So basically the new libaudio is working with the new kernel.

Edited by sm4tik

Guest sej7278
Why not released or is reviewing in progress?

its not actually fixed yet - a new libaudio is in review, but requires the new kernel which at the moment is also under review as it breaks proximity (as wakelock fix was removed) and seems to cause usb reboots.

the new libaudio.so without the new kernel doesn't solve the battery issue (and breaks fm radio).

so the best bet for now is stick to the latest nightly and copy over libaudio.so from n104 - that will break fm radio but not have the battery leakage in standby.

issue: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=4002

patch: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6495

if all the moaners hadn't gone on about FM radio support we wouldn't have had any of these problems and we'd have been stable weeks ago.

Edited by sej7278

Guest rockstarszzzz
if all the moaners hadn't gone on about FM radio support we wouldn't have had any of these problems and we'd have been stable weeks ago.

I saw the same for GSF. More and more users wanted 'features' and in bid of getting features thankfully the stability isn't lost (yet)!

Guest targetbsp

Despite not having used a radio personally this millennium, I can understand why it's a bit of a show stopper if you bought a phone that has a radio for that feature and then it didn't work in your preferred rom. I'd be quite distressed if this rom had gone a 114 days without being able to play mp3's. :)

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I think its a bit rich to complain that other peoples priorities get considered aswell as yours. to you some features may not be useful, but to the "moaners" it might be what makes it all worthwhile. If you want your needs to be prioritised then go and see if you can fix all the stability problems yourself. They are probably still there because TomG and HCDRJacob among others have not found solutions despite their best efforts to date, and it doesn't follow that they will find the solutions if they refuse to add any new features.

Edited by hedgepigdaniel

Guest k0zmic
Despite not having used a radio personally this millennium, I can understand why it's a bit of a show stopper if you bought a phone that has a radio for that feature and then it didn't work in your preferred rom. I'd be quite distressed if this rom had gone a 114 days without being able to play mp3's. :)

That's true. Also, some people need the FM Radio because they might not be able to use alternatives i.e. Tune In Radio since it requires a data plan which might be expensive for some or their 3G coverage might not be too good.

Guest ididmytime

Without the LED notifications in the new kernel I feel like that will be it for me and nightlys for a while. The build I'm on is pretty rock solid, and don't wish to go back to the dark ages of this rom.

I know it may sound ungrateful, since the CM guys do amazing work, but part of me wishes they take a break, and just wait until the ZTE GB source is released to get the remaining fixes. If we didn't know about ZTE GB then I can understand, but is it really worth working with an older kernel for hours for fixes that will someone has already done?

Although, when that happens is anyone's guess.

Edited by ididmytime

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Without the LED notifications in the new kernal I feel like that will be it for me and nightlys for a while. The build I'm on is pretty rock solid, and don't wish to go back to the dark ages of this rom.

I know it may sound ungrateful, since the CM guys do amazing work, but part of me wishes they take a break, and just wait until the ZTE GB source is released to get the remaining fixes. If we didn't know about ZTE GB then I can understand, but is it really worth working with an older kernal for hours for fixes that will someone has already done?

Well much of the work they do on the kernel might also need to be done for any new kernel (look at the commits on the latest one and you'll find many of them are just fixing the same bugs that were present in the old one). If any particular problems go away completely with the new kernel then I guess thats good news, but many of them will probably remain because they don't affect ZTE's stock ROMs. fixing bugs you know is easy, its finding what is causing the bug that takes the time.

Guest buneech
Without the LED notifications in the new kernal I feel like that will be it for me and nightlys for a while. The build I'm on is pretty rock solid, and don't wish to go back to the dark ages of this rom.

I know it may sound ungrateful, since the CM guys do amazing work, but part of me wishes they take a break, and just wait until the ZTE GB source is released to get the remaining fixes. If we didn't know about ZTE GB then I can understand, but is it really worth working with an older kernal for hours for fixes that will someone has already done?

Well, nightlies are meant to be unstable and for testing, that's why I've stopped on RC1 as it is working fine for me. :)

Guest howzcat

going from 120 to 122+ kang.

notification led still gets stuck (was always a problem), but now i have another issue: the notification bar is much harder to "pull" down. anyone experiencing this?

Guest sej7278
going from 120 to 122+ kang.

notification led still gets stuck (was always a problem), but now i have another issue: the notification bar is much harder to "pull" down. anyone experiencing this?

not really seen that - but if you're using my 122+ then it may be due to soft buttons, or do you have brightness slider enabled?

Guest howzcat
not really seen that - but if you're using my 122+ then it may be due to soft buttons, or do you have brightness slider enabled?

tried removing the soft buttons, problem persists. i do have the brightness slider, but it was working fine before. it just feels way more difficult to pull down the bar. sometimes i try 2 or 3 times before i can do it, when before i never had the problem~

edit: looking at the led. stuck on red. this was something that always bothered me, not being able to tell if i have missed calls or sms by the led.

Edited by howzcat

Guest sej7278

i've finally figured out edify script syntax and have made a patch that will add the old libaudio.so from n104 (well actually reverting change I9a7a5c52 and recompiling) and the new libcamera.so from change I0075f338 on top of a vanilla nightly build.

i tested it from ROM Manager and just regular CWM recovery on top of nightly 123 and it works for me.

its easier for people to download/flash from the official source and then add a 186k patch from me - and it means as you're not using a KANG build, nightly notifications will work.

libaudio-libcamera-20110706-signed.zip (md5sum: 6a33bfe4fbbf0bc7d11301acc2b18240)

if anyone can figure out what file(s) are modified to enable soft buttons (framework.res.apk or something?) i can probably add that too.

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

Nice. :) Thanks sej

How easy do we think it will be to use the old kernel in nightlies once the new one is released? I'll really miss my LED notifications lol

I tried setting up ubuntu myself to compile roms but having never used linux it took me hours and then it told me that I was meant to have used the 64 bit version for Gingerbread so I deleted it in a huff lol.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest sej7278
Nice. :) Thanks sej

How easy do we think it will be to use the old kernel in nightlies once the new one is released? I'll really miss my LED notifications lol

I tried setting up ubuntu myself to compile roms but having never used linux it took me hours and then it told me that I was meant to have used the 64 bit version for Gingerbread so I deleted it in a huff lol.

that's what i'm dreading too - once the new kernel gets merged i reckon we'll be back to square one, unless we nag/moan at tom_g enough to fix the issues before its merged :rolleyes: almost no chance of being able to use the current one afterwards as a patch.

i'm leaning towards the "whats the point of a new kernel if its not 2.6.35" argument, certainly doesn't seem worth it just for fm radio.

i never got compiling on ubuntu to work although apparently its the preferred platform for AOSP. fedora 13/14/15 and debian squeeze/wheezy were easy enough (there's a couple of libs missing from the build guide though) but then i've been programming on unix for almost 20 years i guess.

i was thinking of making a "compile cm7" virtual machine for people to download, but it would be far too big to host anywhere and you'd still need to download 9.3gb of cm7 git repo!

Edited by sej7278

Guest CaptainSpectacular

The notification LED stuck should be fixed (or at least "workarounded") in n123 ? Cause I've this bug in n122 yesterday.

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest targetbsp
The notification LED stuck should be fixed (or at least "workarounded") in n123 ? Cause I've this bug in n122 yesterday.

It's not fixed. The functionality has been removed entirely in the new kernel which hasn't been released yet. So the bug won't exist, because the feature won't exist!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp
almost no chance of being able to use the current one afterwards as a patch.

I was hoping that as versions of that kernel have been compiled for the current CM7 that we could do the opposite and compile the old one for the new CM7's. But I guess the new one has been modified a bit to work on the current CM's

Guest CaptainSpectacular
It's not fixed. The functionality has been removed entirely in the new kernel which hasn't been released yet.

Ok, this make sense now. :) I'm lost like the first day when I discovered the world of custom rom with my little Blade.

Official Froyo, leaked Gingerbread, CM7, ... Battery drain, darker and slower camera, CM7 functionnality ... I think I have used my battery life with all this stuffs. :rolleyes:

Guest fldc

One more image just for fun for people to try out. :rolleyes:

This is the latest nightly+ with Toms patches from gerrit review (libaudio/kernel (new patchset 3 with sensor wake lock), camera and screenshot rotation fix).

I didn't try what works or not and i didn't rename the file, it is not RC1, take it for what it is :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1818819/update-cm-...KANG-signed.zip

md5: 482f007ad71e925ad21c6db8438b9790

Guest sej7278
One more image just for fun for people to try out. :rolleyes:

This is the latest nightly+ with Toms patches from gerrit review (libaudio/kernel (new patchset 3 with sensor wake lock), camera and screenshot rotation fix).

I didn't try what works or not and i didn't rename the file, it is not RC1, take it for what it is :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1818819/update-cm-...KANG-signed.zip

md5: 482f007ad71e925ad21c6db8438b9790

should be an interesting one this!

kernel/libaudio patch 3: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6495

kernel wakelock (should fix broken proximity in kernel patch 2): https://github.com/TomGiordano/kernel_zte_b...ced023d999d01eb

kernel defconfig (should be faster due to CGROUP changes): https://github.com/TomGiordano/kernel_zte_b...cf0a6a3636d9486

screenshot rotate: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6547

libcamera: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6496

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I think we should give the new kernel a chance before dismissing it as pointless. By all accounts, the new kernel is much more up to date than the old one and requires less hacking to work. There may well be performance and stability improvements that ZTE has made, and most of the bugs we see initially are likely fixable with the same modifications made to the old kernel. The whole point of nightlies is to test new developments, not to maintain the most stable build possible.

Why is it not possible to continue using the old kernel with new CM7 builds? All we have to do is compile the old one from TomG's github and flash it over the new build along with the old libaudio.

TomG has already asked for it not to be merged until he has fixed a few bugs in it, and by the time it is merged I'm sure a little feedback from us wouldn't go amiss.

Guest wbaw

Well, there should be another kernel when ZTE release a Gingerbread phone, might only be a few weeks, .35, the proper kernel for gingerbread. So if it's going to take much work & leave us with more bugs than the current kernel, might as well wait for .35. A lot of the work getting this kernel to function properly will be wasted when we get .35.

Edited by wbaw