[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sej7278
I think we should give the new kernel a chance before dismissing it as pointless. By all accounts, the new kernel is much more up to date than the old one and requires less hacking to work. There may well be performance and stability improvements that ZTE has made, and most of the bugs we see initially are likely fixable with the same modifications made to the old kernel. The whole point of nightlies is to test new developments, not to maintain the most stable build possible.

Why is it not possible to continue using the old kernel with new CM7 builds? All we have to do is compile the old one from TomG's github and flash it over the new build along with the old libaudio.

TomG has already asked for it not to be merged until he has fixed a few bugs in it, and by the time it is merged I'm sure a little feedback from us wouldn't go amiss.

how much more up-to-date is the kernel - its the same version 2.6.32-9 (or was the "old" one -7?) albeit with some config changes and maybe some new code from ZTE, i've not seen a diagnosis of it though.

we could use the "old" (current) kernel with newer nightlies, although some fixes like the new libaudio fix rely on it, so i'm not sure its advisable, and doesn't really help diagnose anything as you say.

i've just compiled something similar to fldc's build to try, and proximity works again so its better than patch2 and i haven't had usb reboots either. screenshot rotation works and i didn't get a gps reboot when updating google-maps to 5.7.0

hopefully once screenshot, libcamera, libaudio and kernel fixes get merged we'll have a golden 7.1.0 final - after which i hope they start work on moving to 2.6.35 (and not earlier - we need a stable build newer than 7.0.3!)

Edited by sej7278

Guest bob214
Well, nightlies are meant to be unstable and for testing, that's why I've stopped on RC1 as it is working fine for me. :)

Yesterday I installed the KANG RC1 over N74 (only cleared Dalvik cache) and everything is going great.

Guest IronDoc

Hey guys,

I know everyone hates this question but I'm looking for a relatively stable nightly. I'm still down somewhere in the 60s I think but I'm having a weird bug and am gonna wipe data. I figured I'd take the opportunity to upgrade.

I'd quite like the fm radio but, as I understand it, that causes battery issues.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Guest mobile579
Yesterday I installed the KANG RC1 over N74 (only cleared Dalvik cache) and everything is going great.

Can someone help me out with where the KANG RC1 + md5 link is?

I have gone page a few pages and all the KANG links are returning 404/no found errors?

Or is there a problem with KANG releases?

TIA

Guest sm4tik

I have gone page a few pages and all the KANG links are returning 404/no found errors?

TIA

Post #6047, on this page.

Guest ididmytime
Hey guys,

I know everyone hates this question but I'm looking for a relatively stable nightly. I'm still down somewhere in the 60s I think but I'm having a weird bug and am gonna wipe data. I figured I'd take the opportunity to upgrade.

I'd quite like the fm radio but, as I understand it, that causes battery issues.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Use one of sej7278's builds, you can probably find links on the thread. They have been tremendous for the community.

Forget about the FM Radio, use another rom if it's important.

Guest sm4tik
how much more up-to-date is the kernel - its the same version 2.6.32-9 (or was the "old" one -7?) albeit with some config changes and maybe some new code from ZTE, i've not seen a diagnosis of it though.

we could use the "old" (current) kernel with newer nightlies, although some fixes like the new libaudio fix rely on it, so i'm not sure its advisable, and doesn't really help diagnose anything as you say.

i've just compiled something similar to fldc's build to try, and proximity works again so its better than patch2 and i haven't had usb reboots either. screenshot rotation works and i didn't get a gps reboot when updating google-maps to 5.7.0

hopefully once screenshot, libcamera, libaudio and kernel fixes get merged we'll have a golden 7.1.0 final - after which i hope they start work on moving to 2.6.35 (and not earlier - we need a stable build newer than 7.0.3!)

The thread for this ended up bad.. but atleast Phoenix Silver made these observations

- Battery heat solved

- Battery drain solved

- Wifi sleep bug solved

- Camera faster

So atleast there were some improvements ZTE had made over the older one. And as we can see, Tom and Jacob are doing a good job with the newer kernel, so +1 for that golden 7.1 and then move on to get that .35 working, which hopefully will be available then :)

edit: So with the new kernel, is wifi working ok when sleep policy is set to never? I'm sorry for not testing it myself, I need my phone stable for a few more days :/

Edited by sm4tik

One more image just for fun for people to try out. :rolleyes:

This is the latest nightly+ with Toms patches from gerrit review (libaudio/kernel (new patchset 3 with sensor wake lock), camera and screenshot rotation fix).

I didn't try what works or not and i didn't rename the file, it is not RC1, take it for what it is :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1818819/update-cm-...KANG-signed.zip

md5: 482f007ad71e925ad21c6db8438b9790

I took the liberty to mirror the file to multiupload. http://www.multiupload.com/UXLYYRFLJD

I also added a suffix _n124+ so it's better distinguishable.

Guest j6mm
One more image just for fun for people to try out. :rolleyes:

This is the latest nightly+ with Toms patches from gerrit review (libaudio/kernel (new patchset 3 with sensor wake lock), camera and screenshot rotation fix).

I didn't try what works or not and i didn't rename the file, it is not RC1, take it for what it is :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1818819/update-cm-...KANG-signed.zip

md5: 482f007ad71e925ad21c6db8438b9790

Seems mostly good but I had a reboot at the moment I plugged in the car charger with GPS navigation active.

Edited by j6mm

should be an interesting one this!

kernel/libaudio patch 3: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6495

kernel wakelock (should fix broken proximity in kernel patch 2): https://github.com/TomGiordano/kernel_zte_b...ced023d999d01eb

kernel defconfig (should be faster due to CGROUP changes): https://github.com/TomGiordano/kernel_zte_b...cf0a6a3636d9486

screenshot rotate: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6547

libcamera: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6496

This is a very interesting one. Thanks a lot, fdlc.

Proximity is fixed, screenshots are saved correctly rotated and the libcamera has the 5mpx optimazation. I can't say anything solid about libaudio and FM radio but a little something about battery drain: in two hours I lost 3% battery with a little 3G surfing, Google Maps Navigation and GPS testing.

So, it looks very promising. The Golden Master seems to be near. :)

Guest sej7278

i delete my kangs as they become obsolete.

at the moment your best best is the regular nightly 124 plus my libaudio/camera patch (md5sum: 6a33bfe4fbbf0bc7d11301acc2b18240)

or FLDC's build with the newer kernel, screenshot rotation etc: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1818819/update-cm-...KANG-signed.zip or http://www.multiupload.com/UXLYYRFLJD (md5sum 482f007ad71e925ad21c6db8438b9790)

Guest LorianNod
Seems mostly good but I had a reboot at the moment I plugged in the car charger with GPS navigation active.

I've topped up the charge a couple of times this morning from mains charger with no reboots (with this n124+ kang)

I did get a new version of google maps today though. (allows you to pre-download map data, nice). Sometimes reboots occur when new google maps are used.

Guest sej7278
This is a very interesting one. Thanks a lot, fdlc.

Proximity is fixed, screenshots are saved correctly rotated and the libcamera has the 5mpx optimazation. I can't say anything solid about libaudio and FM radio but a little something about battery drain: in two hours I lost 3% battery with a little 3G surfing, Google Maps Navigation and GPS testing.

So, it looks very promising. The Golden Master seems to be near. :)

yup i'm at 7 hours standby with 5% battery usage.

Guest sej7278
Sorry which cm7 release is this?

my own 7.1.0 nightly 123 patched build, similar to FLDC's above with the new kernel.

i do seem to be getting usb reboots though - it sometimes seems to turn off usb mass storage when i umount the drive from my pc (without me pressing the usual orange button on the phone) and then reboots when i yank the cable.

edit: yup, usb is totally fscked for me with the new kernel - if i mount and then unmount from pc i never get the "turn off usb" prompt on the phone and if i pull the cable it reboots.

going back to n124 with libaudio.so from n104 and old kernel :)

Edited by sej7278

Guest CaptainSpectacular
my own 7.1.0 nightly 123 patched build, similar to FLDC's above with the new kernel.

i do seem to be getting usb reboots though - it sometimes seems to turn off usb mass storage when i umount the drive from my pc (without me pressing the usual orange button on the phone) and then reboots when i yank the cable.

edit: yup, usb is totally fscked for me with the new kernel - if i mount and then unmount from pc i never get the "turn off usb" prompt on the phone and if i pull the cable it reboots.

going back to n124 with libaudio.so from n104 and old kernel :rolleyes:

Don't have this bug with FLDC's build with new Kernel sej. I put the cable on the phone, Choose mount USB on the phone, then I can choose "unmount" on my phone with orange droid. :) No reboot at all.

Guest sej7278
Don't have this bug with FLDC's build with new Kernel sej. I put the cable on the phone, Choose mount USB on the phone, then I can choose "unmount" on my phone with orange droid. :) No reboot at all.

did you unmount on your computer first - as that's when i lose the unmount option on the phone.

i've just tried n124 and it works fine - umount on pc, then click orange unmount on phone.

Guest CaptainSpectacular
did you unmount on your computer first - as that's when i lose the unmount option on the phone.

i've just tried n124 and it works fine - umount on pc, then click orange unmount on phone.

Yeah I see what you mean I have reboot too this way.

Anyway if I just mount and unmount with the phone only, there's no problem at all. :)

Why do you want to unmount the phone with the computer when you can do that simply by pressing your screen ?

Guest fldc

I can reproduce this crash, unmounting in linux first and then pull out the cable.

Guest sej7278
Yeah I see what you mean I have reboot too this way.

Anyway if I just mount and unmount with the phone only, there's no problem at all. :)

Why do you want to unmount the phone with the computer when you can do that simply by pressing your screen ?

not very clean not to unmount it from computer is it? the computer might be trying to write to disk still.

edit: tom_g's found it, nasty kernel panic when you eject from pc.

see, it IS worth us testing these builds in gerrit before they're committed. now waiting for patch4 lol :rolleyes:

Edited by sej7278

Guest LorianNod

I too can reproduce, but dont normally eject from windows (7) so would never have seen it.

Edited by LorianNod

Guest sej7278
I too can reproduce, but dont normally unmount/eject from windows (7) so would never have seen it.

wow you crazy guys! :) its actually says on the orange unmount screen to eject from computer first lol