[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Why would you want to watch a full movie on your phone anyway? I have a Android tablet many times the size of my san fran but even thats pretty lame compared to the big screen.

Yes I know what you mean,but there are times,like a train journey,I might watch a bit of jackass or a UFC match.All the films I watch are DVD rip,so they are watchable.

Guest conhen

Hi,

I am coming from the 7.03 stable, and installed Nightly 132.

Now My phone does not sync with Google anymore (my contacts etc don't come back to me)

I reset my phone to factory before installing the Nightly.

Did I miss a step? Should I have installed RC1 first? Looking at the the size of the download they are both a complete package...

Guest Anil k Solanki

Why would you want to watch a full movie on your phone anyway? I have a Android tablet many times the size of my san fran but even thats pretty lame compared to the big screen.

Because, you may not have a tablet with you, and be in a situation where watching a movie is less lame than twiddling your thumbs? Airport departure terminals are a place where watching a movie on your phone is a nice option to have.

Anil.

Guest mobile579

Has anyone started to get a problem with loading the Android Market?

When I try to load the market after a few seconds of displaying a white screen it just exists.

I have tried Clearing Data but that does not help.

The version is 2.3.6 I do not know if it has automatically upgraded to the latest version and that has caused the problem?

Anyone have a solution? I am using N125+KANG

TIA

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi,

I am coming from the 7.03 stable, and installed Nightly 132.

Now My phone does not sync with Google anymore (my contacts etc don't come back to me)

I reset my phone to factory before installing the Nightly.

Did I miss a step? Should I have installed RC1 first? Looking at the the size of the download they are both a complete package...

Hi, I don't think you missed a step. I find it helps to just leave your phone after the initial ANDROID set up screen and just after you have entered your Google account details. If you leave the phone, it will sync with Google and then download your contacts, Wi-Fi settings etc., and download any apps you got through the Marketplace, free & paid apps. Sometimes it takes up to 30mins for the sync mechanism to kick in. When it does it is a thing of beauty. Don't be surprised if you giggle to yourself and say "cool".

I hope this helps. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Has anyone started to get a problem with loading the Android Market?

When I try to load the market after a few seconds of displaying a white screen it just exists.

I have tried Clearing Data but that does not help.

The version is 2.3.6 I do not know if it has automatically upgraded to the latest version and that has caused the problem?

Anyone have a solution? I am using N125+KANG

TIA

Hi, this is off the top of my head, but try flashing just the Google apps pack which you can access via ROM Manager premium. I would do a Nandroid backup first, but I guess that may solve your issue.

I hope this helps. Anil.

Guest conhen

Don't be surprised if you giggle to yourself and say "cool".

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am familiar with the google sync functions, and are used to get my contacts back within seconds/minutes.

Now I dont get them back and looked at the settings/privacy page and saw that the little "sync circle" is red and there is a message saying that there are problems with the sync.

I have never seen that before. The phone does have wireless connection when this happenes, and when I shut that down and let 3g take over nothing changes...

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi, I am sure this must have been said before, but it's worth repeating. If you plan on using Cyanogen's ROM's, then having the premium version of ROM Manager is a huge time saver. With the premium version of ROM Manager you can download Cyanogen releases direct to your phone, notifications of when a newer version is available, access to download the Google apps pack.

Of course this can all be done via a web browser, but it's so much more easier not too mention seamless when you have ROM Manager Premium. Which cost's a few pounds/bucks/euros.

ROM Manager Link

Also just to be clear, I am in no way affiliated or connected with ROM Manager. It just makes life easier.

I hope this helps. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am familiar with the google sync functions, and are used to get my contacts back within seconds/minutes.

Now I dont get them back and looked at the settings/privacy page and saw that the little "sync circle" is red and there is a message saying that there are problems with the sync.

I have never seen that before. The phone does have wireless connection when this happenes, and when I shut that down and let 3g take over nothing changes...

Hi, just to check. Can you surf the web on your phone? Just checking you have internet access. If yes then, in Settings>Account & Sync>Under Manage Accounts, select the account you are having problems with, you should now be in Data & synchronisation. Hit the menu button and hit Sync Now. Does that help?

Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

be warned that people also seem to be having battery drain issues with 3g on the new kernel (and its still 2.6.32 killermackem - don't get excited).

Hi, Just thought you might be interested to know I'm on N131 and I don't have any 3G power drain issues. I switched off Wi-Fi for the most part over a week ago because it uses more power than 3G, but hey Wi-Fi for me is faster. So I've been using 3G 24/7 battery lasts at least 48 hours of normal use now.

I hope this helps. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest hecatae

Hi, I am sure this must have been said before, but it's worth repeating. If you plan on using Cyanogen's ROM's, then having the premium version of ROM Manager is a huge time saver. With the premium version of ROM Manager you can download Cyanogen releases direct to your phone, notifications of when a newer version is available, access to download the Google apps pack.

Of course this can all be done via a web browser, but it's so much more easier not too mention seamless when you have ROM Manager Premium. Which cost's a few pounds/bucks/euros.

ROM Manager Link

Also just to be clear, I am in no way affiliated or connected with ROM Manager. It just makes life easier.

I hope this helps. Anil.

I bought Rom Manager Premium for this reason too

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi.

I'm on N131 and every time I connect the phone to the wall charger it reboots.

Can anyone tell me the last nightly build where this doesn't happen?

Or if there is a way to solve this. (I know usb charging works fine but its not always practical)

thanks

EDIT: Am I correct to think it is N126?

Hi 5ubtil, I am on N131 and I have no reboot issues either via USB or from the charger. Try wiping the Dalvik Cache and the regular cache partition then reflash 131. This may solve your reboot issue.

I hope this helps. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

I bought Rom Manager Premium for this reason too

Hi hecatae, I have to confess I originally bought the premium version of ROM Manager for the automated backup feature. But now I have been back on Cyanogen it's even better because I get to use those cool features.

Anil.

Guest conhen

Hi, just to check. Can you surf the web on your phone? Just checking you have internet access. If yes then, in Settings>Account & Sync>Under Manage Accounts, select the account you are having problems with, you should now be in Data & synchronisation. Hit the menu button and hit Sync Now. Does that help?

Yes I can browse the web, so I have a good internet connection.

In the data an sync page the little "sync indicators" where sowing an exclamation mark when trying to sync.

I just got a spontaneous reboot during trying, and afterwards the situation seems better.

The calendar items are already synced, and the contacts are flowing in right now ;-)

Don't know wy it took so long, but it's there now...

Thanks!

Guest tsddave

Because, you may not have a tablet with you, and be in a situation where watching a movie is less lame than twiddling your thumbs? Airport departure terminals are a place where watching a movie on your phone is a nice option to have.

Anil.

Fair enough, I just find the phone screen not worth watching a movie on, thats my point :)

At the airport I would tend to read an ebook or play a game if I just had my phone with me.

Still, each to their own I guess :)

Guest sej7278

Hi, Just thought you might be interested to know I'm on N131 and I don't have any 3G power drain issues. I switched off Wi-Fi for the most part over a week ago because it uses more power than 3G, but hey Wi-Fi for me is faster. So I've been using 3G 24/7 battery lasts at least 48 hours of normal use now.

yes i was pretty sure it was wifi only (confirmed by tom_g its a new kernel problem) but some people had issues apparently.

i just had the weirdest thing on n132 - i rebooted after battery was draining and the % left went up by about 10% - i even saw it go up by 2% in front of my eyes lol. so its not just a wifi problem but also the bullshit battery stats.

i don't think wifi goes completely off unless you reboot as it still seems to drain power (remember the old speaker hum issue?!) i wonder if this is something to do with the wifi reconnect from sleep?

i bought rommanager premium for the nightly download/notification but i rarely use it now - i just download (or compile) on my pc and flash from sdcard, i find it downloads so slowly on the phone. also i think cm7 has update notifications built-in, or is that just for stable/rc releases?

Guest Anil k Solanki

Fair enough, I just find the phone screen not worth watching a movie on, thats my point :)

At the airport I would tend to read an ebook or play a game if I just had my phone with me.

Still, each to their own I guess :)

Hi tsddave, you are absolutely right, "each to their own". It's nice to have a choice, I have some movies encoded specifically for my Blade and I have to say, they look great. I have a 46" LED backlit TV at home, I don't watch TV, but I watch 5-7 movies every week. And I'm still impressed by the screen on the Blade. My girlfriend would never watch a movie on her Blade. She like you would much rather read a book.

Anil.

Guest ty_hot

What can you guys say about these ROMs based on the leaked ZTE Gingerbread are better than CM7 in any sense? Stability? Speed? Battery Life? Functions?

Guest Richard_Arkless

What can you guys say about these ROMs based on the leaked ZTE Gingerbread are better than CM7 in any sense? Stability? Speed? Battery Life? Functions?

Stability = Both, I have been using cm7 as my daily usage rom for a while now (from nightly 60 or so)

Speed = Leaked gingerbread rom (but if cm changes the vmsplit then we can use the libs to boost the speed a bit)

Battery life = Leaked gingerbread rom with around 1 and 1/2 days of normal usage (but even cm7 does a good enough job at around a day and a couple of hours)

Functions = Cm7 definitely

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest hedgepigdaniel

To those who use moboplayer or other such players to watch movies, you should be aware that if you play stuff which the android video player can't play, then it needs to be decoded in software, which is going to drain your battery more nomatter what ROM you are on.

If you care about battery life then your best bet is to re-encode videos yourself so that they are compatible with the android video player. This should work:

container: mp4

video codec: H.264 baseline profile (any more than 800x480 is a waste)

audio codec: AAC (no more than 160kbps)

I posted some handbrake presets in this thread on this subject which work a treat for the blade video player

Guest Anil k Solanki

To those who use moboplayer or other such players to watch movies, you should be aware that if you play stuff which the android video player can't play, then it needs to be decoded in software, which is going to drain your battery more nomatter what ROM you are on.

If you care about battery life then your best bet is to re-encode videos yourself so that they are compatible with the android video player. This should work:

container: mp4

video codec: H.264 baseline profile (any more than 800x480 is a waste)

audio codec: AAC (no more than 160kbps)

I posted some handbrake presets in this thread on this subject which work a treat for the blade video player

Hi hedgepigdaniel, thanks for the info and the Handbrake presets. Out of curiosity, can I ask why you linked to the entire thread, and not directly to your message like so?

Direct Link

Regarding the mobo player, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there are mobo player CODEC files specific to the processor in your phone, in our case that would be the ARM 6 CODEC file. You can get the CODEC file from the Marketplace.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Hi hedgepigdaniel, thanks for the info and the Handbrake presets. Out of curiosity, can I ask why you linked to the entire thread, and not directly to your message like so?

Just lazy :D