[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest ColdEmbrace

I haven't had any issues since N142, my battery life is great, I have Wi-Fi turned on all the time in advanced settings. I watched one movie, played angry birds for an hour, lots of email and browsing and texting, not many phone calls though (ironic). All this and I get at least 30+ hours. Great stuff.

Anil.

Since N142 so which Nightly are you running? As stated the other day im on N88 and i've started heavy texting the last few days and my phones lasts about 10 hours

Guest Anil k Solanki

Since N142 so which Nightly are you running? As stated the other day im on N88 and i've started heavy texting the last few days and my phones lasts about 10 hours

Hi ColdEmbrace, I was running N146 until about 30 mins ago, just updated to N148. I can recommend N146 without hesitation, too early to say about N148, but by all accounts it is the same. Time I feel for you to upgrade to at least N146. ZERO issues.

Have fun. Anil.

Guest ColdEmbrace

Hi ColdEmbrace, I was running N146 until about 30 mins ago, just updated to N148. I can recommend N146 without hesitation, too early to say about N148, but by all accounts it is the same. Time I feel for you to upgrade to at least N146. ZERO issues.

Have fun. Anil.

Thanks for some sound advice i'll backup/nandroid/flash N148 quick question i did notice when i temporarily flash N128 or so I didn't need to run through the basic setup e.g login to google and stuff to restore from backup and i had no market/other google apps. How do i get around this issue?

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks for some sound advice i'll backup/nandroid/flash N148 quick question i did notice when i temporarily flash N128 or so I didn't need to run through the basic setup e.g login to google and stuff to restore from backup and i had no market/other google apps. How do i get around this issue?

Hi ColdEmbrace, The Cyanogen ROM doesn't include any Google apps for legal reasons. The set up screen (the one where you touch the green android) is specific to Google apps. So, if you don't flash Google apps, you don't get that screen and you can continue straight onto Cyanogen. I'm not sure I understood your question completely, but I hope this does answer it.

Regards. Anil.

PS. If you want Google apps, 1. If you download Cyanogen through ROM Manager Premium you will be given the option to flash Google apps when you download the ROM. 2 If you are flashing manually through Clockwork, simply download Google apps (use this link), it's the first download on the list, then simply flash the .zip file directly after flashing the ROM manually in Clockwork recovery.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest ColdEmbrace

Hi ColdEmbrace, The Cyanogen ROM doesn't include any Google apps for legal reasons. The set up screen (the one where you touch the green android) is specific to Google apps. So, if you don't flash Google apps, you don't get that screen and you can continue straight onto Cyanogen. I'm not sure I understood your question completely, but I hope this does answer it.

Regards. Anil.

I have known for a long time CM Cannot include Gapps but yet have never experienced a lack of Gapps upon install. So if i install Gapps before first boot I will get that screen?

Guest rockstarszzzz

I think you can do this by App drawer > ROM Manager > Download ROM > Google Apps > Wipe Dalvik and reboot > Follow instructions :)

Guest rockstarszzzz

I have known for a long time CM Cannot include Gapps but yet have never experienced a lack of Gapps upon install. So if i install Gapps before first boot I will get that screen?

Once you are booted into CM7, just follow my previous post.

Guest ColdEmbrace

Once you are booted into CM7, just follow my previous post.

Thank you but I think i'll stick with the manual method tried and trusted :)

Guest lol looool

Why FM is not working on last nightlies? it was fixed...

FM skips workin frecuencies. It jumps from 88.3 to 88.5

Edited by lol looool

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi, I'm running N148 and the FM Radio works fine. I live in Italy and never use the FM radio, but I fired it up and it worked.

Anil.

Guest B9Anders

hello all. I am using blue ginger v5 and formerly GSF. Since it sems the former might be on ice, can someone enlighten me as to what I can expect to be different from these if I flash CM7?

Guest Anil k Solanki

hello all. I am using blue ginger v5 and formerly GSF. Since it sems the former might be on ice, can someone enlighten me as to what I can expect to be different from these if I flash CM7?

Hi B9Anders,

Cyanogen has

1. An over clockable kernel.
  2. Built in screenshot function.
  3. Built in screen lock delay.
  4. Built in notification widgets.
These are just 4 features, all of which are built in and work perfectly. I found the screen lock delay apps in the Marketplace hit or miss. Ultimately, you can simply do a Nandroid backup of your current ROM and just try it for yourself. If you don't like it you can very easily go back. I recommend you try Nightly release N148.

Anil.

Guest sm4tik

It's in FM settings, the region you want to use. Sorry my blade is in recovery now (flashing an update soon) so I can't give the exact setting names, but if you change your region from North America to anything else, the automatic seeking gets messed up. If you need 0.1MHz accuracy, the workaround is to manually set the frequency as high as the scale goes and then seek downwards. Not nice but works, atleast it did last time I tried.

Guest Schwinni

2 If you are flashing manually through Clockwork, simply download Google apps (use this link), it's the first download on the list, then simply flash the .zip file directly after flashing the ROM manually in Clockwork recovery.

You could also use my version of the Google apps, which is more up to date and/or includes many add-ons:

;)

Yes, just flash the ROM and the Gapps directly afterwards. Then reboot.

Guest Anil k Solanki

You could also use my version of the Google apps, which is more up to date and/or includes many add-ons:

http://android.modac...re-google-apps/

;)

Hi Chris, I saw the link in your signature and checked out the link a few days ago. I am a highly technical person, but I didn't understand some of points/requirements so I played safe and walked away.

For example;

People with default partition layout:

People with a changed partition layout:

Unfortunately, all I know is I changed from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 using a TPT ROM by WBAW. Now I'm on Cyanogen N148. So am I running a default partition or a changed partition? I know you're not psychic, but what layout do I have? Is there a simple method for discovering this?

Am I right in saying your Google apps, are not modified in anyway except you can install these to other non-standard locations? Hence the different options for memory layouts. Also, am I right in saying, the only benefit to your method overall is the use of less storage space?

I hope I'm making sense and not asking you to repeat yourself, I have read your apps post page several times, but still feel in the dark.

Regards, Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest sm4tik

Unfortunately, all I know is I changed from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 using a TPT ROM by WBAW. Now I'm on Cyanogen N148. So am I running a default partition or a changed partition? I know you're not psychic, but what layout do I have? Is there a simple method for discovering this?

Open up your terminal and

$ df -h

You'll get info of your mounted partitions.

edit: Wbaw's tpt does change partition layout, but you'll see the sizes with the command above.

Edited by sm4tik

Guest Anil k Solanki

Open up your terminal and

$ df -h

You'll get info of your mounted partitions.

edit: Wbaw's tpt does change partition layout, but you'll see the sizes with the command above.

Hi sm4tik, thanks for the reply. I'm a Mac user, I presume your suggestion won't work on a vanilla Snow Leopard install? Do I need drivers? I do have a Win 7 box, but I only use that when I really have to.

Anil.

Guest k0zmic

Hi sm4tik, thanks for the reply. I'm a Mac user, I presume your suggestion won't work on a vanilla Snow Leopard install? Do I need drivers? I do have a Win 7 box, but I only use that when I really have to.

Anil.

I'm fairly sure sm4tik meant type df -h into Terminal Emulator (app) on your Android phone.

Guest Anil k Solanki

I'm fairly sure sm4tik meant type df -h into Terminal Emulator (app) on your Android phone.

Hi k0zmic, where do I get the Terminal app? Sorry bad joke.

terminal_5326.gif

Not knowing what the default partition sizes are, I need someone who does know to step up and help me out.

Thanks. Anil.

Guest Schwinni

Hi Chris, I saw the link in your signature and checked out the link a few days ago. I am a highly technical person, but I didn't understand some of points/requirements so I played safe and walked away.

Then I think I have to edit the introduction of the thread the next few days to make things more clear. :)

For example;

People with default partition layout:

People with a changed partition layout:

Gen1 phone had a default system partition size of 207 MB.

Then the first mods came which could reduce the system partition.

A typical CM7 ROM uses about 128 MB of the system partition.

When wbaw created the Gen1 to Gen2 TPT method the system partition was about 138 MB. That was too small for the full package of the Google apps.

A lot of people nerved him to offer a bigger system partition - he still hates me for that. <_<

Anyway, since v4 or v5 of the Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade only two options are offered: "custom" with 160 MB system partition and "stock" with 207 MB system partition.

Both are large enough for the full gapps package.

If you have Titanium Backup installed, it will show you the size of your system partition. If you have 16x MB, you're fine.

Am I right in saying your Google apps, are not modified in anyway except you can install these to other non-standard locations? Hence the different options for memory layouts. Also, am I right in saying, the only benefit to your method overall is the use of less storage space?

Absolutely right. The APKs are like they come from the market on my phone. I do not hack or edit them in any way.

The only thing I do is (when necessary) to copy the libs out of them.

E.g. Google Goggles has a directory "lib" inside the APK. When installed in /data/app the libs can be extracted when starting the app and all works well. When placing the APK in /system/app, Android is to stupid to extract the libs into the data partition in order to access them from there -> FC. That's why I have to extract the libs and install them to /system/lib together with the APK itself.

But don't worry, the "original" gapps package does the same, for example for VoiceSearch which needs libvoicesearch.so in /system/lib.

So yes, my full package more or less just offers you the option to install the Google apps into the partition where the rest of the system is installed - if you feel (I do so) that they are a basic part of an Android system.

If you want the Google apps on your data partition you can still use the "small" package, which is the same like the "original" one - with the difference that most of the time I am faster when it comes to updates. ;)

I hope I'm making sense and not asking you to repeat yourself, I have read your apps post page several times, but still feel in the dark.

I hope I could help a bit with my explanations above. :)

Best regards

Chris

Guest Simono

terminal_5326.gif

Not knowing what the default partition sizes are, I need someone who does know to step up and help me out.

Thanks. Anil.

You can use this app from market FreeSpace

Guest Anil k Solanki

I hope I could help a bit with my explanations above. :)

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, that explained everything, I'm no longer in the dark.

Many thanks for your time & patience.

Regards. Anil.

Guest Schwinni

terminal_5326.gif

Thanks. Anil.

Looks like your system partition is 132.7 MB. You have used the TPT upgrade before version 5.