[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Anil k Solanki

You can use this app from market FreeSpace

Thanks Simono, I have FreeSpace + with the nice widgets. But it doesn't tell me what the default partitions were, no matter it's a moot point now. I have 90 MB free so no need to install Google apps else where.

Thanks. Anil.

Guest Schwinni

Thanks Simono, I have FreeSpace + with the nice widgets. But it doesn't tell me what the default partitions were, no matter it's a moot point now. I have 90 MB free so no need to install Google apps else where.

Thanks. Anil.

Oops, sorry, I misread.

You partitions are:

/system: 140 MB

/data: 314.4 MB

My partitions are:

/system: 160 MB

/data: 293.6 MN

I TPTed with "Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v5.zip".

Guest Anil k Solanki

Oops, sorry, I misread.

You partitions are:

/system: 140 MB

/data: 314.4 MB

My partitions are:

/system: 160 MB

/data: 293.6 MN

I TPTed with "Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v5.zip".

Hi Chris, is there an easy way to change partitions? Although it seems like semantics, which partition contains what. I mean, it's the same hardware. Unless I'm missing a benefit?

May I be cheeky and ask; I used to have Ext3/4 working before on a 2.2 ROM, and it was great because when the SD card was mounted on a PC, it didn't stop apps on the Ext partition working properly. Do you know if this is defunct in Cyanogen?

Anil.

Guest k0zmic

Hi Chris, is there an easy way to change partitions? Although it seems like semantics, which partition contains what. I mean, it's the same hardware. Unless I'm missing a benefit?

May I be cheeky and ask; I used to have Ext3/4 working before on a 2.2 ROM, and it was great because when the SD card was mounted on a PC, it didn't stop apps on the Ext partition working properly. Do you know if this is defunct in Cyanogen?

Anil.

Re-do the TPT is the only way I know of.

/system contains system files and apps (kind of obviously). As well as libs and the kernel I think.

/data contains app data and things like text messages etc.

/cache contains Market downloads before they're installed to data or moved to the EXT partition for example.

Nope it's not, use S2E from the Market to move apps to an EXT Partition. CM actually pioneered A2SD EXT IIRC back on the G1.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Schwinni

Next time you install a new nightly and you plan to wipe data anyway, you could TPT v8 of the Gen1 to Gen2 upgrade. This would give you the 160 MB / 294 MB layout.

But of course you do not have to do that. You have 7.3 MB free on your system partition. That is not much wasted.

So, no problem with using CM7 + gapps-gb-<date>-signed.zip.

Just for the full package, there isn't enough space.

Technically it doesn't matter if you install Gmail, Maps, and so on to a 160 MB system partition with Clockwork or via Market on /data (when using a 140 MB system partition).

I dunno. I have an ext partition on my SD card and I even have A2SD installed, but since my data partition isn't full yet I haven't moved the apps to the ext partition.

Perhaps someone actively using A2SD or DarkTremor can answer that question.

Guest targetbsp

Next time you install a new nightly and you plan to wipe data anyway, you could TPT v8 of the Gen1 to Gen2 upgrade. This would give you the 160 MB / 294 MB layout.

Presumably you can take a rom backup, tpt to v8 and restore the backup rather than setting up your phone again? That's what I was planning on doing at some point.

Guest Anil k Solanki

I dunno. I have an ext partition on my SD card and I even have A2SD installed, but since my data partition isn't full yet I haven't moved the apps to the ext partition.

Perhaps someone actively using A2SD or DarkTremor can answer that question.

Hi Chris, I used to use Dark tremor on Swedish Spring, it worked a treat. I have just installed S2E rebooted, and I now have 199 MB free in the Data partition. No need to worry about running out of room. Although I've only had that warning once, in the early days, when I downloaded practically everything in the Marketplace. Time has tempered that though. Still the 500 MB Ext partition was just sitting there not being used.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. Anil.

Guest Schwinni

Presumably you can take a rom backup, tpt to v8 and restore the backup rather than setting up your phone again? That's what I was planning on doing at some point.

Yes, right,didn't think of that. Of course you can restore a Nandroid backup, which was done on a Gen2 phone, on a Gen2 phone . :blush:

Guest Schwinni

Ah yes, while we are talking about partitions on the SD card:

Does anybody of you know if there is a way to have the (first or only) partition on the SD card - the one mounted to /mnt/sdcard - being formatted with ext2/3/4 instead of FAT32?

I really hate being bound to the 2 GB file limit...

Guest Ray-man

Hi All, I've joined this thread after being criticised for asking the 'wrong questions' on the GEN1 to GEN2 TPT upgrade thread. I used that method to upgrade my new San Francisco (OUK....B10) but have experienced problems that I can't find mentioned in either thread (only checked recent pages in this thread so sorry if I missed it).

For first upgrade I confirmed GEN1 with Mr Pigfish then used the GEN1 to GEN2 TPT (wbaw) followed by CM7 Nightly (143). All MD5s and nandroid verified fine.

Update went smoothly and the phone booted up okay but after I was unable to logon to my BT home hub, access code went in fine (once I'd mastered the Android keyboard) then got 'Obtaining IP address' but got no further. I was able to logon to BTFON (probably via my home hub as that's how btfon works) and BT Openzone.

The other problem was that I couldn't access the sd card via USB from my PC. The phone acknowleged that USB was connected and the USB symbol appeared on the screen (previously it was necessary to mount USB via a popup), the PC also acknowleged USB (and McAffee prompted for virus check), but I couldn't gain access usiing Windows Explorer only 'Load disc in F drive'.

I posted details of the problems and didn't get any replies but found the 'Orange UK stock B20 TPT image [22 May 2011]... (hecatae) thread and used that to restore. It restored to ...B10 which was fine though I thought it may end up being ...B20, after which bt home hub logon and USB worked fine.

Next attempt I used the all-in-one GEN1 to Gen2 TPT + rom version, MD5s and nandriod fine but the phone has exactly the same problems again.

I posted the updated results and that's what prompted the 'using the wrong thread' criticism but I had experienced the same problems with 2 different roms and am simply trying to find someone that can advise what I'm doing wrong. I should point out that a week ago I was a newby to smartphones, android and forums like this, so I apologise for any mistakes.

Edited by Ray-man

Guest Anil k Solanki

Ah yes, while we are talking about partitions on the SD card:

Does anybody of you know if there is a way to have the (first or only) partition on the SD card - the one mounted to /mnt/sdcard - being formatted with ext2/3/4 instead of FAT32?

I really hate being bound to the 2 GB file limit...

Hi Chris, I maybe wrong here, but, my understanding was that the first partition on the SD card HAS to be Fat32, then the second partition can be Ext2/3/4, but it has to be the second partition.

However that is the case if you have partitions, I have no idea what happens if you format the entire card as Ext. One thing is for sure, Windows will not see the Ext partition and therefore won't mount it. ANDROID is Linux, but most of the outside world is Windows, therefore Fat32. I'm a Mac user, so the file limit issue is something that isn't really part of my computer psyche.

I am guessing, but, I believe the ANDROID OS expects to see a Fat32 partition, I say that because in order to use Ext we have to an app, or a script, in the case of Dark Tremor. Sorry I'm not being much help, but I have to ask, what kind of single files do you have that are bigger than 2GB? Movie? 60 MEGA-PIXEL image? :)

Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi All, I've joined this thread after being criticised for asking the 'wrong questions' on the GEN1 to GEN2 TPT upgrade thread. I used that method to upgrade my new San Francisco (OUK....B10) but have experienced problems that I can't find mentioned in either thread (only checked recent pages in this thread so sorry if I missed it).

For first upgrade I confirmed GEN1 with Mr Pigfish then used the GEN1 to GEN2 TPT (wbaw) followed by CM7 Nightly (143). All MD5s and nandroid verified fine.

Update went smoothly and the phone booted up okay but after I was unable to logon to my BT home hub, access code went in fine (once I'd mastered the Android keyboard) then got 'Obtaining IP address' but got no further. I was able to logon to BTFON (probably via my home hub as that's how btfon works) and BT Openzone.

The other problem was that I couldn't access the sd card via USB from my PC. The phone acknowleged that USB was connected and the USB symbol appeared on the screen (previously it was necessary to mount USB via a popup), the PC also acknowleged USB (and McAffee prompted for virus check), but I couldn't gain access usiing Windows Explorer only 'Load disc in F drive'.

I posted details of the problems and didn't get any replies but found the 'Orange UK stock B20 TPT image [22 May 2011]... (hecatae) thread and used that to restore. It restored to ...B10 which was fine though I thought it may end up being ...B20, after which bt home hub logon and USB worked fine.

Next attempt I used the all-in-one GEN1 to Gen2 TPT + rom version, MD5s and nandriod fine but the phone has exactly the same problems again.

I posted the updated results and that's what prompted the 'using the wrong thread' criticism but I had experienced the same problems with 2 different roms and am simply trying to find someone that can advise what I'm doing wrong. I should point out that a week ago I was a newby to smartphones, android and forums like this, so I apologise for any mistakes.

Hi Ray-ma, don't sweat it, once we were all noobs. I have only been using ANDROID for 4 months now.

My advice is based on the Cyanogen ROM, it is what I use, and what I would recommend to any Gen 2 handset owner. I'm assuming you have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed.

1. Make sure you have a backup of your SD card on your PC if you have any files you want to keep, music, pics etc. You will need an SD card to USB reader for this, £2 from eBay. A must have device!
  2. Get Nightly 148 from here.
  3. Get Google Apps from here it's the first link in the list.
  4. Put both the files on your SD card. At the root level, i.e. not in a folder on the SD card.
  5. Boot into Clockwork recovery.
  6. Factory reset the phone.
  7. Wipe the Dalvik cache, and the Cache partition for good measure.
  8. Flash Nightly 148.
  9. Then Flash Google Apps directly after flashing Nightly 148.
  10. Reboot your phone.
  11. Once rebooted, boot back into Clockwork Recovery, go to "mounts and storage" then go to "format /sdcard" and format your SD card.
  12. Reboot your phone
  13. Power down your home hub, wait 30 secs, then power on again.
Try connecting with USB now, your PC should see the SD card.

Your home hub connection should work too.

I am no expert, but that is what I would do, one semi-noob to a new noob. :)

Anil.

Guest Simono

Thanks. Anil.

If You use ext partition on SD card then You can use S2E app to move application to ext partition (reboot after instal and setup) to have more space on device.

For now I have 138MB system partition and 5MB free space (TPT v4) and I don't have more space, if I install other Google app it's install on user partiotion.

Edited by Simono

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks Simono, I installed 2SE last night and around 100 MB of apps were moved to my EXT partition. Which now means I have 200 MB free on the phone. I'm glad I formatted the SD card with the EXT partition when I was using Swedish Spring. Thanks for your help. Anil.

Guest sej7278

to all of those with wifi battery drain, i think i've found it: GOOGLE READER is the spawn of satan!

after losing over 20% battery in 9 hours of standby (after turning wifi off) i had a look at spare parts and google reader has been keeping a 100% wakelock the whole time - its not been on standby at all.

i turned off google reader sync and rebooted, had a bit of a play with wifi on, but not launching google reader, and turned wifi back off. its been over 2 hours on standby now and i've lost no battery.

so its looking like its not a wifi battery drain at all, but google reader (either the app itself, or syncing) keeping the phone from sleeping.

pretty disappointing in an app from google themselves - i can't believe they're even using the wakelock mechanism.

Guest sej7278

I also use Google Reader but sync always manualy and not see dramaticaly battery drian.

how do you sync manually?

so if its the old data sync problem rearing its ugly head, that would explain why some users are seeing 3g drain too.

so why isn't gmail/google+/contacts auto-sync causing drain?

Guest Simono

how do you sync manually?

There is "Refresh" while You press hardware button "Menu" while Google Reader is running and then if I go to RSS channel what You have read it's refreshed.

Guest k0zmic

I don't think Google Reader is causing the drain as I don't have it installed yet still experience high power consumption on Wi-Fi and 3G/HSDPA. I do have Books, Gmail and Music etc. installed and on sync though.

Guest sej7278

I don't think Google Reader is causing the drain as I don't have it installed yet still experience high power consumption on Wi-Fi and 3G/HSDPA. I do have Books, Gmail and Music etc. installed and on sync though.

are you still seeing battery drain after you've turned wifi/3g off though? for me at least that seems to be caused by reader's wakelock (could be any app that syncs a lot of data i guess).

high battery usage with wifi on is a known issue with the new kernel - we've got to wait for the next RC/stable to report it although i think tom_g was looking into it, he knows about it for sure.

Guest Simono

I have only sync switched on for:

- Google contacts

- Google calendar

- Google Docs

- Google Gmail

- Facebook contacts

rest of application data manual sync:

- for facebook facebook app or widget on LPP manual sync

- for Twitter widget on LPP manual sync

- Google+ in app

- Google Reader manual on app

Edited by Simono

Guest targetbsp

Ah I don't have reader, that might be why my wifi is fine. :) For what it's worth, the mobile site version of reader looks exactly the same as the app. Or did when the app first came out. I don't know if that's changed.

Guest sej7278

I have only sync switched on for:

- Google contacts

- Google calendar

- Google Docs

- Google Gmail

- Facebook contacts

yeah i might turn off google+ sync and just leave contacts/gmail as i get kind of fed up of notifications on my phone that i've already dismissed on my pc anyway.

reader's going in the bin as its not a great RSS reader - it should be able to show the stories within it, or at least a bit more than a headline.