[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp

Thankq so much.

Apologies for terming it as an .apk file... it should be in some system file (i did try to browse thru all of those files with any kindof notification name on em.. no luck.. am ignorant..) so it must be there somewhere in some file... i really am waiting to flash the rom and just waiting to add the notification of gsf & unlocking of CM7... plz help..

It's in the framework. You can't just copy the files over from CM7 - the phone won't boot. You need to use that website link to customise the files in GSF to your liking. It's the same as hwo you make a battery circle mod.

Guest targetbsp

A couple of quick questions if I may?

Does the universal GEN2 -> GEN1 converter still work on the latest builds of CyanongenMod?

What does GEN2 offer over GEN1 - it seems slightly risky to do the update and I havn't read anywhere what the advantages are, apart from the greater number of new ROMS?

Thanks in advance.

If it's not been updated since the changes in N126 then it probably won't

The benefit to gen 2 is simply the one you're looking for - the ability to run all the modern roms

The only real risk in going to gen 2 is if the file you're flashing is damaged. That's why you check the MD5. :)

Guest sm4tik

hay guys, i just flashed to n149 and I experienced a problem with the keyboard. my problem is in the input languages, you see I live in Sweden that's why i use a swedish keyboard layout. this option is missing now, which i had no problem with before.

if you can kindly look if this is the case for you too, i would appreciate it:)

thanks

You can also flash my version of LatinIME which has also Finnish dictionary added (I know you don't need it ;) ), but after optimizing the apk it's still smaller than stock.

Link to thread

Guest Anil k Solanki

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r0RqPhr-hdA

This has been linked before, but its awesome :)

Dude, "SMS to toast technologie", priceless! I'm really glad you posted the link to the video. Reminds me to stop, and get a grip, it's just a damn phone. Chill out.

The night before I was watching video's for the new Motorola Photon. It looks great, has great specs too, I was getting hot under the collar about it, though it will cost 3 times as much as the ZTE Skate when it ships, I started to consider getting a Photon instead of a Skate.

Now I have calmed down and watched the ZPHONE video. I remember why the Blade is so darn good. The super low cost of entry, and this community. A killer combination.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

The only real risk in going to gen 2 is if the file you're flashing is damaged. That's why you check the MD5. :)

Hi targetbsp, I never came across MD5 until I started using ANDROID, I'm aware it's been around a few decades now. I have only checked the MD5 of a .zip file once, my bad, so far I've been OK. But, I still don't understand why we have them for .zip files? If the .zip is corrupt it won't unpack, right? Or even appear as a .zip file?

I know I am missing a bigger point here, do you think you could clarify it for me, and perhaps others?

Anil.

Guest Markiv

Hi targetbsp, I never came across MD5 until I started using ANDROID, I'm aware it's been around a few decades now. I have only checked the MD5 of a .zip file once, my bad, so far I've been OK. But, I still don't understand why we have them for .zip files? If the .zip is corrupt it won't unpack, right? Or even appear as a .zip file?

I know I am missing a bigger point here, do you think you could clarify it for me, and perhaps others?

Anil.

Dear Anil,

Newbie here, but i've searched quite a lot about MD5 when i encountered it the first time. This checksum is generated using an algorithm based on the data , a file contains.

For Eg :

Blue-Ginger-V5

Md5 : DB64039D31D8CD1795F2915E40405AED

Now open the .zip file and remove the A2sdGUI.apk within the app folder

Blue-Ginger-V5 without A2sdGUI.apk

MD5 : 4E6628AC49830195E9C07FB27C027602

So even though the zip file is still stable, an entire app is missing. u dont wanna have a situation like this with any critical file missing. Am not saying this is actually possible with a zip archive, but its just to be on the safer side.

But all of this is just my understanding.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi Markiv, the scenario you described makes sense as to why it's good to have MD5's for things such as ROM's. I suppose it has less to do with file corruption and more to do with package integrity. Making sure you get what was intended by the Dev, for example. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me, much appreciated.

Anil.

+1 for your reputation, no longer in the negative.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Markiv

Hi Markiv, the scenario you described makes sense as to why it's good to have MD5's for things such as ROM's. I suppose it has less to do with file corruption and more to do with package integrity. Making sure you get what was intended by the Dev, for example. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me, much appreciated.

Anil.

+1 for your reputation, no longer in the negative.

Dear Anil,

Exactly as u mentioned....Package integrity sounds so much better, am not so good with TERMS...

Just to mention the full story : MD5 is not a fool proof system though - a totally different file can also generate the same MD5 that another file produces(1 in a billion chance may be). That was why MD5 was discarded (in 2006) and new algorithms and standards have been adopted (Presently SHA-2). Hope this helps others who stumble upon MD5's....

Guest taine0

Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I posted on here/updated my phone. So seeing as I don't have the time to scroll through 100s+ pages, mainly a quick question.

I'm on i think nightly 23 or something like that. I find it very stable for what I use it for, I can get 2-3days of use from my phones battery and one of it's main use is a mp3 player. Which is one of the main reasons I never updated, also people seem to still be constantly complain about the battery beng worse than this. As I mainly theme the damn thing too, I never saw the point.

Is it finally worth taking the jump to GEN2 and one of the newer nightlies? I rather use CM7 than one of the gingerbread roms. Mainly because of the theme engine makes things so simple.

Thanks.

Edited by taine0

Guest targetbsp

You make a good point, whilst the CRC check of a zip file is much less through than an MD5, it's still insanely unlikely that a file will come down corrupted and yet still pass as a valid zip. So, as long as you pay attention to your zip programs output, you should be fine. Still, you only have to go to gen 2 once, and i would make the extra effort to check it.

With roms, it's unzipped as it's installed (I think!) so it would already be too late when it found the file was damaged - your new rom would be incomplete and your old one deleted. However, this isn't a serious situation to be in cause you'll still have recovery to flash a re-download or restore a backup.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Strange thing here. My phone just reboot himself for the first time, on n142+blink.gif

No new app installed, just charged few hours before. The phone is here, do nothing, and tada ! Green android appears and the phone reboot. Very strange. Hope it's the first and last time that's happen.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Strange thing here. My phone just reboot himself for the first time, on n142+blink.gif

No new app installed, just charged few hours before. The phone is here, do nothing, and tada ! Green android appears and the phone reboot. Very strange. Hope it's the first and last time that's happen.

Hi CaptainSpectacular, I suggest you flash N149, I use it without any reboots etc. Before the flash wipe the Dalvik cache and the Cache partition, you will not lose any personal data.

I hope this helps you. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

how long your zte blade can hold now on n149 without charging battery ?

Hi brickornot, I'm running N149 and I easily get 10 hours with heavy use, a few movies, some game play and lot's of internet stuff. If I'm only doing internet stuff, email browsing etc. I get around 48 hours. Only caveat, make sure you calibrate your battery after the flash.

I use this app to calibrate my battery. The battery will take a few charge cycles for it to settle down and give a true indicator of power remaining.

I hope this helps you.

Anil.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Thanks Anil, I'll give a try to n 149, it's the very first time my Blade reboot, very strange.

I'll report if it's happen again.

Thanks. smile.gif

Guest Chris Banks

Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I posted on here/updated my phone. So seeing as I don't have the time to scroll through 100s+ pages, mainly a quick question.

I'm on i think nightly 23 or something like that. I find it very stable for what I use it for, I can get 2-3days of use from my phones battery and one of it's main use is a mp3 player. Which is one of the main reasons I never updated, also people seem to still be constantly complain about the battery beng worse than this. As I mainly theme the damn thing too, I never saw the point.

Is it finally worth taking the jump to GEN2 and one of the newer nightlies? I rather use CM7 than one of the gingerbread roms. Mainly because of the theme engine makes things so simple.

Thanks.

Upgradig to GEN2 is one click simple and safe using TPT method. The latest nightlies have been very stable for me and dont think ive had a single reboot recently, and I can get about 48ish hours out of the battery with light use (not as good as the gingerbread roms though, but the extra features and theme engine do it for me)

I guess if your not having problems then 'if it aint broke dont fix it' applies, but when i took the plunge i wasn't disappointed.The updated kernel and updated features would tempt me to, but I would also be tempted to wait untill ZTE release source code next month, which will see CM7 become top dollar.

Edited by Chris Banks

Guest brickornot

Can someone test if on cm LUKS MANAGER works - create 5mb encrypted partition - mount, put some files in some file xplorer on it in folder /mnt/sdcard/LUKS and unmount later and check if still exist folder partition after dismounting ? it shouldnt of course.

IT IS FREE

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nemesis2.luksmanager&feature=search_result

thanks.

Guest Schwinni

I use this app to calibrate my battery. The battery will take a few charge cycles for it to settle down and give a true indicator of power remaining.

Why don't you just use Clockwork? The app you showed does nothing else. It deletes the battery stats file. :)

Guest targetbsp

how long your zte blade can hold now on n149 without charging battery ?

It really depends how you use it. I can run the battery down in 5 hours of gaming or leave it on standby for 8 days so basically you'll achieve anything between that depending on how heavily you use it.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Why don't you just use Clockwork? The app you showed does nothing else. It deletes the battery stats file. :)

Because,

1. It's one touch away on one of my home screen's.
  2. No need to reboot.
  3. It has an option to play a very nice beep/boing sound when the battery reaches 100%. In fact, I extracted the audio file out of the app and now use it for email notifications. :) I sincerely hope the Dev doesn't mind.

Anil.

http://www.thisiswhatwedo.com/fileshuttle/beep1_1930.mp3

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

I can get about 48ish hours out of the battery with light use (not as good as the gingerbread roms though, but the extra features and theme engine do it for me)

Hi Chris, or anyone else who could advise me on this.

I've heard a lot of people say the Ginger based ROM's have better battery life than Cyanogen. I have used in this order;

1. Japanese Jellyfish, it's the ROM the phone came with when I bought it used from eBay.
  2. Cyanogen 7 RC1
  3. Swedish Spring RLS5
  4. Ginger stir fry BETA 9
  5. Cyanogen nightlies N126+ (Thanks sej7278) through N149 (Current ROM)

Maybe it's just my dodgy memory, or the fact that I've only really been using ANDROID since March of this year. So I never really got used to one ROM, before I moved on. But I never noticed any differences in power consumption.

So back to my question. Are the Ginger ROM's hugely more power efficient? Would these Ginger ROM's be better than Swedish Spring in this regard? My girlfriend's handset is running Swedish Spring. But when the Skate is released I might get one if it doesn't suck, and give my current Blade to my girlfriend so she can replace her second handset, a NOKIA 5800. (Yup, she is a two handset woman)

Damn, this is turning into a big post, sorry.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest jamesbooth

Hi Chris, or anyone else who could advise me on this.

I've heard a lot of people say the Ginger based ROM's have better battery life than Cyanogen. I have used in this order;

1. Japanese Jellyfish, it's the ROM the phone came with when I bought it used from eBay.
  2. Cyanogen 7 RC1
  3. Swedish Spring RLS5
  4. Ginger stir fry BETA 9
  5. Cyanogen nightlies N126+ (Thanks sej7278) through N149 (Current ROM)

Maybe it's just my dodgy memory, or the fact that I've only really been using ANDROID since March of this year. So I never really got used to one ROM, before I moved on. But I never noticed any differences in power consumption.

So back to my question. Are the Ginger ROM's hugely more power efficient? Would these Ginger ROM's be better than Swedish Spring in this regard? My girlfriend's handset is running Swedish Spring. But when the Skate is released I might get one if it doesn't suck, and give my current Blade to my girlfriend so she can replace her second handset, a NOKIA 5800. (Yup, she is a two handset woman)

Damn, this is turning into a big post, sorry.

Anil.

Can't say I've ever used SS but I've used, both, CM7 and GSF. With the same amount of usage, I generally get about twice the amount of life on GSF.

Guest mon3em

hay guys, i just flashed to n149 and I experienced a problem with the keyboard. my problem is in the input languages, you see I live in Sweden that's why i use a swedish keyboard layout. this option is missing now, which i had no problem with before.

if you can kindly look if this is the case for you too, i would appreciate it:)

thanks

Well they forget to add the languages since the n145, just get latinIM.apk from any ver before 145 and add it or install in to your rom.

Guest Nickman1200

Hi Nickman1200, I would try this. Boot into recovery and wipe the Dalvik cache, and the Cache partition. Flash N149, and reboot. Your issue sounds like a system software problem, hopefully this will fix it.

Good luck. Anil.

When you typed that i got a wake up call... I just wiped the cache partion before...

I have now wiped both and installed N149.. Still working... I'll update if anything changes.

Thanks again.