[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hi guys, since cyanogenmod updated to android 2.3.5 I have found that certain apps in the market are now incompatible where there is no install button under market when before it showed the button for all apps under there, also when I use the market web site it says that the app is incompatible and some apps say its compatible but when I click the install button it wont let me select to install it to the blade as its greyed out, has anyone else had this problem

Its been about a week now and no one as far as I can tell has mentioned this problem

The same can be said about my advent vega, ive installed the latest build and now most apps just say its incompatible with it, my sister also has a blade and uses an older build and doesnt have this problem

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi guys, since cyanogenmod updated to android 2.3.5 I have found that certain apps in the market are now incompatible where there is no install button under market when before it showed the button for all apps under there, also when I use the market web site it says that the app is incompatible and some apps say its compatible but when I click the install button it wont let me select to install it to the blade as its greyed out, has anyone else had this problem

It would seem those apps are no longer compatible?

Its been about a week now and no one as far as I can tell has mentioned this problem

I have updated to N152 and all my apps still work, perhaps I have just been lucky?

Is your sister running 2.3.5? If the Marketplace say's it's incompatible, perhaps mother is correct?

Sorry I don't have any answers. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest targetbsp

The same can be said about my advent vega, ive installed the latest build and now most apps just say its incompatible with it, my sister also has a blade and uses an older build and doesnt have this problem

Are you using that new leaked market with all the graphics? It has that problem. I've not personally had a similar problem due to the rom. If you don't have the new market, what apps in particular?

Guest sej7278

Here is a link that explains the problem with dhcpcd. http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=907772

Versions of dhcpcd after 4.0.13 have stricter checks & it causes problems with some misbehaving wifi routers - in particular the BT Homehub, as supplied by the UK's largest ISP.

dhcpcd version 5.x or before 4.0.13 should fix it.

so looking at 4.0.13 the only change since 4.0.12 was the following to client.c which looks like our problem:

/* Every DHCP message should include ServerID */ 

if (get_option_addr(&addr.s_addr, dhcp, DHO_SERVERID) == -1) { 

logger(LOG_ERR, "ignoring message; no Server ID"); 

return 0; 

}

so here is a patch against the current 4.0.15 source in cm7 git, to revert that change.

here (md5sum: c38dbe0e68876bc3dedf49c203d31b5a) is up a flashable zip to put the compiled dhcpcd into /system/bin/, so we'll then have dhcpcd 4.0.15 but without the "bug", all opensource and redistributable and easy to install.

anyone willing to try it who has the BT homehub problem?

it works for me on my linksys (that doesn't have the problem, but it proves it hasn't broken regular routers).

Edited by sej7278

Guest Ray-man

so looking at 4.0.13 the only change since 4.0.12 was the following to client.c which looks like our problem:

/* Every DHCP message should include ServerID */ 

if (get_option_addr(&addr.s_addr, dhcp, DHO_SERVERID) == -1) { 

logger(LOG_ERR, "ignoring message; no Server ID"); 

return 0; 

}

so here is a patch against the current 4.0.15 source in cm7 git, to revert that change.

give me a minute and i'll compile it and knock up a flashable zip to put dhcpcd into /system/bin/, so we'll then have dhcpcd 4.0.15 but without the "bug", all opensource and redistributable.

anyone willing to try it who has the BT homehub problem?

edit: here you go dhcpcd-signed.zip md5sum: 0f817c02bcdf8be53b081cf5cade5500

Yes sej I'll give it a go and report back. Incidently, which rom is it based on?

Edit: Just downloaded and realise it's only the dhcpcd (Should learn to read I guess!) I'll still do it but can't start right now - Should be done later tonight though!

Edited by Ray-man

Guest Richard_Arkless

Are you using that new leaked market with all the graphics? It has that problem. I've not personally had a similar problem due to the rom. If you don't have the new market, what apps in particular?

Thanks that worked, the funny thing though is that my sister is also on the new market and apps that are incompatible for me like facebook and skype works for her which is why I assumed it might have been a problem with 2.3.5 when my sister is on 2.3.4

I still cant install from the website but I assume its going to solve itself in a couple of days

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest sej7278

Yes sej I'll give it a go and report back. Incidently, which rom is it based on?

its my cm7 nightly 151+, so should also work on the official n152 (and probably all recent nightlies).

Guest sm4tik

Edit: Just downloaded and realise it's only the dhcpcd (Should learn to read I guess!) I'll still do it but can't start right now - Should be done later tonight though!

Hey, glad you got your stuff working!

Just to make sure, sej's .zip is a flashable one, so you can just flash it with RomManager or manually with ClockWorkMod. So this time there's no need to substitute anything. Just flash it and you'll get the new dhcpcd over the old one.

Guest sej7278

Hey, glad you got your stuff working!

Just to make sure, sej's .zip is a flashable one, so you can just flash it with RomManager or manually with ClockWorkMod. So this time there's no need to substitute anything. Just flash it and you'll get the new dhcpcd over the old one.

good catch - i didn't really make that clear, you can just flash it like you would flash a new rom, except this is just the /system/bin/dhcpcd file not the whole rom.

it doesn't need to be unzipped and manually copied into place using e.g. root explorer.

think of it like gapps.

Guest mullen666

I use a BTHH2

Software version 8.1.H.J (Type A) | Time and date 22:23:05 04/08/2011

Never had any probs

no static IP DHCP enabled and working fine

Is it just me or is the USB debugging icon broken again in the most recent nightly? Well not broken, just not appearing.

Edited by bhf

Guest Gregorypeg1000

Good evening guys.I wanted to ask why 3g uses a lot more power than it uses at Android 2.2. I had SS5 with 3g always on and i have a battery life of 2 days with normal use.Calls,text messages,weather news and youtube widgets. With 3g enabled on Cm7 149 i have one day with a lot less usage.If i enable 2g only the battery rocks.Could someone explain?Thanks in advance.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Is it just me or is the USB debugging icon broken again in the most recent nightly? Well not broken, just not appearing.

Hi I'm running N152 an I get the USB icon but not the debugging icon. Anil.

Guest Ray-man

good catch - i didn't really make that clear, you can just flash it like you would flash a new rom, except this is just the /system/bin/dhcpcd file not the whole rom.

it doesn't need to be unzipped and manually copied into place using e.g. root explorer.

think of it like gapps.

Wish I'd known that, I've just had quite a game doing it manually, not your fault but sadly all this is still new to me. Anyway, I've done it the hard way and done the complete works - Factory reset, wipe dalvic cache and cache partitions, flash revised N151 rom then flash gapps. I did it that way so the sequence was identical to the successful test build.

Unfortunately I couldn't logon to my BTHH again, it was exactly the same as the unmodified nightly. So before making this post I substituted the working dhcpcd file into an N152 and flashed that (full works again) and the BTHH logon works fine again.

I had quite a struggle finding a way to get your file into the N151 rom so I'll try flashing it directly into the working N152, that should eliminate any corruption I may have introduced.

Not sure that I'll get it done tonight as my phone battery needs charging (and mine) but will report the results as quickly as I can.

Guest hecatae

Hi I'm running N152 an I get the USB icon but not the debugging icon. Anil.

untick and re-tick and you get informed usb debugging connected, just no icon. no real loss to me

Guest Anil k Solanki

untick and re-tick and you get informed usb debugging connected, just no icon. no real loss to me

USB works fine, just no bugging icon. I agree no big deal. Anil.

Guest sej7278

Wish I'd known that, I've just had quite a game doing it manually, not your fault but sadly all this is still new to me. Anyway, I've done it the hard way and done the complete works - Factory reset, wipe dalvic cache and cache partitions, flash revised N151 rom then flash gapps. I did it that way so the sequence was identical to the successful test build.

Unfortunately I couldn't logon to my BTHH again, it was exactly the same as the unmodified nightly. So before making this post I substituted the working dhcpcd file into an N152 and flashed that (full works again) and the BTHH logon works fine again.

I had quite a struggle finding a way to get your file into the N151 rom so I'll try flashing it directly into the working N152, that should eliminate any corruption I may have introduced.

Not sure that I'll get it done tonight as my phone battery needs charging (and mine) but will report the results as quickly as I can.

WTF? talk about doing things the hard way lol! just flash the vanilla n152 (wipe dalvik) and then flash my dhcpcd-signed.zip, job done. hopefully that will get you going on your homehub.

Guest Ray-man

Flashed the patch and it appears to work. However, I'm not sure if the test is valid as nothing was wiped and the file was flashed into a working rom. I'll repeat the test but using an unmodified N152 first, confirm that I can't logon to my BTHH, then flash the patch to confirm the fix.

That will need to be done later as both the phone and me need a recharge.

I'll report back soon!

Guest sej7278

Yay, we can finally add soft buttons ourselves. No need to hassle sej any more thanks to a patcher created by zdune over on xda. I just tried it with n152 and it works well:

http://forum.xda-dev...82#post16338482

apktool.jar is interesting, i always wondered how to disassemble the resources file.

the only problem with patching framework-res.apk is that you're likely to need to do it for every build, as if there's a new menu or something then the framework will change. which is why i never provided just a flashable zip with framework-res.apk

i quite like the way he's worked around that by making you adb pull the file from the phone, then patching it and making a flashable zip (he could have adb push'ed it back instead).

not sure why it had to be a windows console app, you can rework patcher.bat into a few unix shell commands.

Edited by sej7278

Guest Simono

Is there anything worth updating from N148 to the latest nightly?

Yes. Leatest N152 have got a lot of fixes. Not for Blade but plenty of cyanogen fixes/updates.

Edited by Simono

Guest ffoxsake

I have correctly calibrated my battery stats, this helps a lot, trust me.

I suggest starting by calibrating your battery stats. Use this app, charge the battery to 100%. Once it's completed reboot, and launch the battery app again, charge for another 2 hours, now hit the calibrate battery button in the app, not before.

Now comes the part I find most users simply don't do, the above procedure set's the 100% mark, now you have to set the 0% mark. This can be done easily, but the choice is yours. Simply keep using the handset until it turns itself off. On the way to 0% you will get two ANDROID warnings, one at 15%, and one at 5%, ignore these and continue using the phone until it goes dead. Or play a movie on loop, you decide.

You're done! Well, almost. Now charge your phone to 100% using the power adapter, not a USB port. Try this and see if your battery life doesn't improve. Just bear in mind, flashing a different ROM may mean you need to do the above procedure again. Cyanogen updates will be OK, (unless they change the Kernel).

Kudos to Anil.

Gotta say i was a complete sceptic about this, it didn't make sense that simply "recalibrating" a battery could make any difference to the physical usage of a battery. i mean, what magic could possibly be held in that calibration that would cause a battery to drain slower or quicker with exactly the same settings in all other apps?

A bit about my pattern of usage - during the day my phone is usually left connected to a USB charger all day at work, overnight it would be connected to a mains charger. But once the phone was let off the leash it would only previously give me 12-14 hours with my normal usage (a few calls, a few texts, a bit of wifi, bit of 3G data, < 30 minutes of games).

Well 16 hours ago i tried the first part of your advice using the app linked above (i.e. charge to 100% then press the calibrate battery button). Now i'm letting it drain down to 0% with my normal usage but it appears it's going to take a while biggrin.gif .

So far its been 16 hours without connection to a charger and i've still got 60% showing. For me that is akin to a miracle!

Will report back when i hit 0%, but for anyone else suffering a poor battery life i'd recommend taking Anil's advice and giving it a try. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain!

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi, I'm running N152 and noticed today I couldn't download and run Google Street View. I start the download, it starts, but it never completes. But after that, Marketplace thinks the app has downloaded but won't let me launch it from the Marketplace. Not a deal breaker because Google maps works fine. I have wiped all the caches and no difference.

Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Kudos to Anil.

Gotta say i was a complete sceptic about this, it didn't make sense that simply "recalibrating" a battery could make any difference to the physical usage of a battery. i mean, what magic could possibly be held in that calibration that would cause a battery to drain slower or quicker with exactly the same settings in all other apps?

A bit about my pattern of usage - during the day my phone is usually left connected to a USB charger all day at work, overnight it would be connected to a mains charger. But once the phone was let off the leash it would only previously give me 12-14 hours with my normal usage (a few calls, a few texts, a bit of wifi, bit of 3G data, < 30 minutes of games).

Well 16 hours ago i tried the first part of your advice using the app linked above (i.e. charge to 100% then press the calibrate battery button). Now i'm letting it drain down to 0% with my normal usage but it appears it's going to take a while biggrin.gif .

So far its been 16 hours without connection to a charger and i've still got 60% showing. For me that is akin to a miracle!

Will report back when i hit 0%, but for anyone else suffering a poor battery life i'd recommend taking Anil's advice and giving it a try. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain!

Hi ffoxsake, thanks for the kudos.

Anil.