[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sej7278

TomG has posted a test build for wifi reconnection in comment 86: http://code.google.c.../detail?id=3157

Other things in the rom may be broken and should not be reported as bugs but if the wifi reconnect is confirmed as good it will get submitted. :D

i made a test build with that and a few other patches on top of n169, but i don't like it. i think its making my wifi less reliable - takes ages to connect for a start.

turn the screen off and back on again and it says its reconnected, but market can't connect when it comes back on - its like its lying about being connected lol.

i haven't tried tom_g's full rom though, i just copied /system/wpa_supplicant from it, which may not have been enough for a fair test.

Hi sej, can you upload your enhanced 169 version with those patches please? Thanks

i'm not uploading this one, the wpa patch is too buggy, and other than usb debugging its not much different to n161+

Edited by sej7278

Guest harks68

Hi i have installed the 169 cynogenmod 7

this might be a newb question but ive learnt that you have to install google apps (market app, maps) separately due to license issue.

Now i dont know how to do this, ive downloaded the zip file from here

http://wiki.cyanogen...ion#Google_Apps

and i cant even check the md5 of the above file as that file manager is not on my phone and i cant access market :(

I put the zip in a folder on my sd card, but when i goto update, it searches for some update.zip file.. Someone either point me to the right place or explain how to, thanks :)

Edited by harks68

Guest k0zmic

Hi i have installed the 169 cynogenmod 7

this might be a newb question but ive learnt that you have to install google apps (market app, maps) separately due to license issue.

Now i dont know how to do this, ive downloaded the zip file from here

and i cant even check the md5 of the above file as that file manager is not on my phone and i cant access market :(

I put the zip in a folder on my sd card, but when i goto update, it searches for some update.zip file.. Someone either point me to the right place or explain how to, thanks :)

Yeah that's right.

Go into Recovery > Scroll to Install to .zip from SD Card and navigate to wherever you placed the Gapps file > Select it and confirm. Reboot.

Guest harks68

Yeah that's right.

Go into Recovery > Scroll to Install to .zip from SD Card and navigate to wherever you placed the Gapps file > Select it and confirm. Reboot.

ok just to be sure, once i click on

'Install zip from SD card'

i get 4 options

of which are

1)apply/sd card/ update

2) choose zip from sd card

3 -4) relate with toggle something

so i choose option 2? (wouldnt this wipe out the rom i installed?)

Guest k0zmic

so i choose option 2? (wouldnt this wipe out the rom i installed?)

Yep, option two.

No it won't so long as you're only installing the Gapps package in which case it just adds the apps into /system of your existing CM installation.

Just to be safe do a 'Backup' in ClockworkMod as well beforehand.

Guest targetbsp

i made a test build with that and a few other patches on top of n169, but i don't like it. i think its making my wifi less reliable - takes ages to connect for a start.

turn the screen off and back on again and it says its reconnected, but market can't connect when it comes back on - its like its lying about being connected lol.

i haven't tried tom_g's full rom though, i just copied /system/wpa_supplicant from it, which may not have been enough for a fair test.

i'm not uploading this one, the wpa patch is too buggy, and other than usb debugging its not much different to n161+

Weird. It's been 100% flawless for me since I put it on. I'm using TomG's test rom until LED notifications are back lol. (or maybe until this functionality is in a nightly anyway :) )

Edited by targetbsp

Guest sej7278

Weird. It's been 100% flawless for me since I put it on. I'm using TomG's test rom until LED notifications are back lol. (or maybe until this functionality is in a nightly anyway :) )

yeah well i just picked a single file from an entire rom, tom_g said it was unwise :D

i might bung a test build up in the morning with the 3 wpa files patched and see how that goes - it seems to take almost 30secs to connect from boot (seems longer than usual?) then when screen is off it turns off after a second or two, then when screen is back on it takes a couple of seconds to come back online. definitely works better with 3 files than just the one lol.

Edited by sej7278

Guest ritterkeks

Regarding: Wifi Tethering - wifi goes off with screen

Try regpon wifi keepalive from the market (free), works for me

hey, good hint, thanks!

it won't enable itself when tethering is switched on, but ok. it works!

Guest harks68

Guys can someone help me, ive installed this rom version 169

Installed the google app zip to get the market app, maps etc. I have tried both stable and the beta 7.1.0 version.

The problem is it updates but when i start the phone i do not see 'market' icon in my program drawer

I think i will go back to ginger stir fry, didnt realise this rom was so complex :huh:

Yep, option two.

No it won't so long as you're only installing the Gapps package in which case it just adds the apps into /system of your existing CM installation.

Just to be safe do a 'Backup' in ClockworkMod as well beforehand.

Guest crooon

I tried searching and did not come up with any results, but I may just suck, so I'm hoping this isn't already stated somewhere.

Does cyanogen have CIFS support (or NFS) in kernel?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Richard_Arkless

I tried searching and did not come up with any results, but I may just suck, so I'm hoping this isn't already stated somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it has cifs support so just install cifs manager from the market and put in the share information, as for nfs I dunno, you will have to try that one out yourself

Guest sej7278

nfs3 and cifs support are set in the kernel config, although for some reason the cifs.ko kernel module is shipped with the nightlies too, so you may have to modprobe it first. i could never get nfs to work when i tried, although that may have been due to a bug in the mount command or busybox as i recall.

Guest cool400

Wifi reconnects seem now 100% reliable and much quicker since I flashed Tom's build with the wifi reconnect patch in it. Looking forward to this being submitted/merged.

And although GPS works in the latest nightlies I still find using the old GPS patch (KK) improves performance.

Can you link to the Wifi- and to the GPS-patch?

Guest Nick Rhodes

Been running CM7 (n166) for 3 days.

I have had an issue for a long long time with battery drain, even as recent as using the n166+ from.

The issue is using Wifi, set to turn off on screen sleep when phone is left to idle, consumes far more battery than SS5 or the GFS rom, meaning I struggle to get 18 hours.

FYI I use Gmail, Reader, Latitude (GPS off) and non of them cause any battery drain specifically.

When running SS5 or any other stock-based roms, which you have WiFi set to turn off on screen sleep they disconnect WiFi after approx 30s of screen off (note my router can tell me the difference between an active/(sleeping/idle)/disconnected WiFi conneciton).

When using CM7 the Wifi only ever sleeps and does not disconnect and I suffer battery drain issues (loosing 10% in 2 hours doing usual background sync).

When using "Wifi timeout" from the market, this allows the WiFi to disconnect in CM7 and then I get very similar drain levels as with other stock-based roms (10% in 8 hours), this is an 8 times improvement.

I repeated this process 3 times now and had the same results.

Where Wifi was always at the top with 30% of usage, now phone idle and mobile standby are top 2 items.

Would be interested to see someone else try out "Wifi timeout" and see if they get similar results.

Positive thing is I can finally leave CM7 on my phone :)

Of course I am aware that this could be one of those cases where it works for me and no one else with Wifi drain issues...

Cheers, Nick

Guest androrphin

My phone has some gapps in system (from an initial TPT) and some downloaded from the Market in data. I've decided to install gapps from one of the current packages so that they go into system.

My question is do I have to uninstall the Market downloaded gapps first (so I don't get duplication)? Or will clockwork recovery do that for me?

Guest shezar

Been running CM7 (n166) for 3 days.

I have had an issue for a long long time with battery drain, even as recent as using the n166+ from.

The issue is using Wifi, set to turn off on screen sleep when phone is left to idle, consumes far more battery than SS5 or the GFS rom, meaning I struggle to get 18 hours.

FYI I use Gmail, Reader, Latitude (GPS off) and non of them cause any battery drain specifically.

When running SS5 or any other stock-based roms, which you have WiFi set to turn off on screen sleep they disconnect WiFi after approx 30s of screen off (note my router can tell me the difference between an active/(sleeping/idle)/disconnected WiFi conneciton).

When using CM7 the Wifi only ever sleeps and does not disconnect and I suffer battery drain issues (loosing 10% in 2 hours doing usual background sync).

When using "Wifi timeout" from the market, this allows the WiFi to disconnect in CM7 and then I get very similar drain levels as with other stock-based roms (10% in 8 hours), this is an 8 times improvement.

I repeated this process 3 times now and had the same results.

Where Wifi was always at the top with 30% of usage, now phone idle and mobile standby are top 2 items.

Would be interested to see someone else try out "Wifi timeout" and see if they get similar results.

Positive thing is I can finally leave CM7 on my phone :)

Of course I am aware that this could be one of those cases where it works for me and no one else with Wifi drain issues...

Cheers, Nick

The problem is that when you restart the phone, wifi timeout policy is reset to "never" so you have to change it if you don't want your battery charge to go away overnights. I suppose you know how to do that, but if not: go to wifi settings, press menu btn, special, and there's a select menu for it. And please note that somehow these settings are lost at reboot.

Guest Gazda Jezda

Hi!

Is this timeout policy reset a syndrome of some newer Nightlies? Because i think that im my case it works normally, i mean, there is no setting forgetting. I'm on N165...

On last friday i do a battery recalibration and then go on a weekend where my usage pattern was very minimalistic. So after 82 hours (SpareParts) my blade is at 27% of battery. During that period i only make 2 calls, no SMS, no GPS, no data & sync only 2-3 times per day. I also use power widget for manual switch of WiFi / Data connection. I don't know how SMART my Blade seems at that kind of usage, but i see that it is really possible to have few days operating blade :P Of course, when i 'm on heavy usage pattern, then battery charge is for 1 day max. :)

The problem is that when you restart the phone, wifi timeout policy is reset to "never" so you have to change it if you don't want your battery charge to go away overnights. I suppose you know how to do that, but if not: go to wifi settings, press menu btn, special, and there's a select menu for it. And please note that somehow these settings are lost at reboot.

The recent posts makes it seem like its possible to have wifi on while phone goes into sleep (like its supposed to be) on newer builds (it doesnt seem possible on cm7.1 rc1, or any other rom I used before that, heard GSF is supposed to work that way tho), is that the case? Or does it simply prevent the phone from going into deep sleep?

I've really been missing that and found it a big pain to have to use tasker to setup multiple profiles just to turn off/on wifi depending on screen state and other contexts, and it prolly doesnt help battery time either, was hoping it would be implemented in cm7 once the 2.3 source was available, but if its already built in then I might just have to update again. :)

Edited by bagge

Guest shezar

Well I've been having this config-resetting issue since N166. One night I left my wifi on, and my Blade dropped ~30-40% of battery in 8-10 hours (but I don't know if the phone was actually asleep - the wifi connection was certainly alive). When I woke up I say 6% remaining and a connected wifi icon. I'm on N170 now, and the configuration still resets. The connection seems not to be dropped while the phone's asleep. (At this moment I'm testing this a bit more, it seems like the phone is sleeping and when I wake it up, it has a little weaker connection that restores almost immediately. But I'll post my findings about it when I'm sure about what's the situation.)

Sry for the messed up text, I'll try to put my thoughts into a much ordered form next time :D

Nah... after some time, the connection drops :( Well this is a shame...

Edited by shezar

Guest targetbsp

Based the about phone battery thingy, the wifi stays on (and presumably using some battery?) for 15 minutes after screen off but loses connection almost immediately (in so much as I can't ping it from my PC). This is with the new wifi in TomG's test rom. I can't speak for any of the nightlies because I had tasker handling my wifi connections rather than the rom.

about wifi problem

what i did, I installed "green power" apk (premium)

set wifi-settings/adwanced/wifi sleep policy - never

its best what i found for wifi, mobile network managing + better battery life.

and solved wifi problem.

Guest mullen666

woke up yesterday running sej's 161+

battery went from 100% at 8.00am to 7% at 12.00am

can't work out what is murdering my battery rom or apps or both

changed to gsf battery life and general usability is excellent

just miss my cm7 goodies

i will be back

Guest harks68

Question

I deleted partition/cleared cache in clockworks

Then isntalled cm_blade_full-165.zip rom, right after i put on google apps (7.1.0-RC1-Blade) from here

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version#Google_Apps

Everything working fine, but i dont see google 'MARKET' app nor google maps :o

Someone assist me please? I have tried the latest rom, 169 as well still same thing. What am i doing wrong. I have 26 app icons in my programs drawer, but google stuff missing