[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

OK thanks. I block this applications in DroidWall. If I uninstall it I will must unistall it every time then I flash new nightly.

Edit

I cannoct block it :(

This applications has one group in DroidWall with System Android, Account Settnigs, Google Backup Transport etc.

Edited by Simono

All I can say is if I send myself a text message via Skype, the notification light blinks for at least 5 mins.

Nothing has been fixed. Something is holding a wake lock on you phone.

Notification light blinking requires the processor to be awake on blade which is not good for battery usage. When I redo the notification lights (it is coming) I plan to add an option for blinking notifications, but it will drain battery badly (there will also be an option for a solid lit led like the previous implementation which will not need the processor awake).

anybody know if there is any chance that CM will use the zte kernel source anytime soon? cause that might greatly improove battery performance and solve so many issues. I know its not an easy thing to do or something that can be done in one night, since the CM team should add so many things to the kernel to add their features to it, but are there any thoughts about it?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'so many issues'. I doubt battery usage will be improved much (it is already fairly good if you're on a recent build), the sensors implementation is a bit better (proximity and light sensor work at the same time now) and wifi will hopefully be improved, but I don't see it doing much else to fix problems. It may however make it easier to implement some new features.

I hope to have the new kernel merged early next week. There are still some features I haven't tested, but everything I have tested is working at the moment. The issue that caused sej7278's sd card corruption should be fixed (it was likely caused by the bad memory address that kalltkaffe found in the iomap which caused a lot of problems. It was only an issue if 3G VMSPLIT was used).

looking at a few comments on the issue tracker there's differing reports on how it does/should work - tom_g seems to say that wifi should turn off within a couple of seconds of the screen going off (unless plugged into usb) which it does for me. others are saying it has to properly sleep for 15mins before that happens, others are saying it never turns off.

now whether wifi disconnecting is the same as wifi turning off is debatable!

it does seem a bit pointless fixing a wifi reconnect bug that means you have to keep turning wifi on/off......

there's various settings to be played with too which confuses the matter.

How it should work: wifi stays up until timeout (default 15min).

How it does work: wifi dies as soon as screen off.

It appears to work correctly (or at least better) using the patch I uploaded yesterday for the new kernel.

Edited by Tom G

Guest targetbsp

Notification light blinking requires the processor to be awake on blade which is not good for battery usage.

Can't wait. :D Since the temporary loss of the old LED notifications I currently use Tasker to do exactly that in the event of a missed call/text. Keeps the phone awake but everything else switched off (wifi, screen etc). Being battery obsessed, solid on will suit me fine when it's back. :)

The rest of your progress also sounds great. Really appreciate the work you do for us! Do you have your own donation option? I've already donated to CM7 but I think it was Jacobs account specifically.

Guest JimJam707

My phone just turned on, booted to ClockworkMod, and wiped itself.

What the hell.

Edit: I acidentally flashed a Gen1 TPT so now I'm stuck without a working ROM at school. God damn it.

Edited by JimJam707

Guest Nick Rhodes

How it should work: wifi stays up until timeout (default 15min).

How it does work: wifi dies as soon as screen off.

It appears to work correctly (or at least better) using the patch I uploaded yesterday for the new kernel.

One thing I noted with the various Blade ROMS based on stock is that they timeout much quicker than 15mins, approx 30s (I have 2 blades in the house and have compared directly the connections from my router).

On CM7 stock (N169), WiFi is top of my battery stats when phone is left (not charging) overnight, but changing the timeout to 30s for me improves battery greatly, I notice that phone idle and sleep feature at the top of the stats overnight. (Wifi set to off on screen sleep).

Cheers, Nick

Edited by Nick Rhodes

Can't wait. :D Since the temporary loss of the old LED notifications I currently use Tasker to do exactly that in the event of a missed call/text. Keeps the phone awake but everything else switched off (wifi, screen etc). Being battery obsessed, solid on will suit me fine when it's back. :)

The rest of your progress also sounds great. Really appreciate the work you do for us! Do you have your own donation option? I've already donated to CM7 but I think it was Jacobs account specifically.

I don't have a donation link, but I encourage anyone that wants to send a donation as thanks for the development of CM7 on blade to send their donations to HCDRJacob. He does a lot of hard work for you all and will benefit more from your donations than I would. Link

News of new version of nightly news? the last is 179 of 31.08.2011....thanks

The AOSP source repositories are hosted at kernel.org. All source at kernel.org is offline while they rebuild the servers and check all the source because of the compromised servers found last week. The nightly builds are failing due to the servers being down (a lot of packages used in cyanogenmod use unmodified AOSP code, so to simplify maintainence the code is pulled directly from the AOSP repositories at kernel.org).

Edited by Tom G

Guest sej7278

Theme Chooser and ZTE Blade Settings are also safe to freeze/uninstall if you don't need them.

I also can't imagine either app using the net actually. I wonder if it's a fault in the monitoring app picking up the wrong app using data??

sounds like the monitoring app is knackered - zte blade settings is the proximity/usb charging app.

the traffic could be due to google's backup system backing up the data i guess....

Just to let ya'll know, I just booted fine with the kernel from gerrit, no major problems like sdcard corruption after flashing etc :) I haven't done any testing yet so can't comment any further.

Not that I care too much about benchmarks, but both 2D and 3D graphics score about 50 points less in AnTuTu.

edit: Everything I've tested so far is working just fine.

Edited by sm4tik

Hey all

Moved up from n166 to n171 last night & am having Bluetooth connectivity issues today with my car kit, has anyone else noticed this?

It'll connect momentarily & then the Bluetooth symbol on the status bar disappears & connection is lost.

It's not the same issue as previously where Bluetooth would only connect while the phone was awake.

I haven't carried out a full wipe as yet, thought I'd check to see if it was a general issue first.

Cheers, Paul

Try deleting /system/bin/abtfilt (it'll still try to start it, but shouldn't impact anything when it fails). Possibly caused by this.

Hi all

For anyone else relying on Bluetooth connectivity I'm afraid this fix didn't work for me.

Perhaps when the new kernel is merged function may be restored :)

Cheers, Paul

(PS. Is there a guide on how to use the "multiquote" function when posting? :D)

Guest hlubepet

The ui smoothness we see in roms like gsf, is this somehow achievable in cyanogenmod, whether it's with the new kernel or not?

i was very affraid to ask this questions and with crossed fingers hoping new kernel (TOM G, MANY THANKS!! CANT WAIT FOR MERGING) will help this and other things, so I could finally switch to CM for good...

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Just when pace starts picking up again (Kernel-wise) I go and get myself a new phone.

Goodbye Blade owners. Hope you enjoyed this mega-thread. Not that I really had much participation since it all started working itself out. 607 pages is simply astounding.

Also, looking back at March, when I put so much effort into the thread daily...shows how lazy I got, haha :P

The ui smoothness we see in roms like gsf, is this somehow achievable in cyanogenmod, whether it's with the new kernel or not?

Smoothness has been good for me so far. I have seen a noticeable improvement over the old setup (a part of the move to the new kernel is also moving to the newer graphics libs), but I have nothing installed on my blade so there are no background processes slowing it down. I doubt you will ever see a consistently smooth ui using adw, it isn't great on my O2X and if that can't do it well I doubt the blade will.

I think the smoothness problems are a combination of adw and the blade graphics drivers. Hopefully the update improves the drivers. Replacing adw may get the smoothness you're looking for.

Guest godfromdfo

Just when pace starts picking up again (Kernel-wise) I go and get myself a new phone.

Goodbye Blade owners. Hope you enjoyed this mega-thread. Not that I really had much participation since it all started working itself out. 607 pages is simply astounding.

Also, looking back at March, when I put so much effort into the thread daily...shows how lazy I got, haha :P

Cool, what phone did you upgrade to and how are you liking it in comparison to the blade?

Also, I took the trouble to make a new cyanogen thread so it can be maintained whilst your not here (Link) :D

Edited by godfromdfo

Guest sej7278

I think the smoothness problems are a combination of adw and the blade graphics drivers. Hopefully the update improves the drivers. Replacing adw may get the smoothness you're looking for.

i can confirm no sdcard corruption this time :D damned fast work tom!

i'm not convinced its any faster (with launcherpro+) but that's first boot after a flash which is always a bit iffy. wifi works, adb works now, got a maps 5.1 update without the phone rebooting which has to be a first lol. will test more tomorrow (well its today now, but after 6 hours sleep at least!) 1606 antutu's if that means anything to anyone.

post-839039-0-22064500-1315529123_thumb.

Edited by sej7278

Smoothness has been good for me so far. I have seen a noticeable improvement over the old setup (a part of the move to the new kernel is also moving to the newer graphics libs), but I have nothing installed on my blade so there are no background processes slowing it down. I doubt you will ever see a consistently smooth ui using adw, it isn't great on my O2X and if that can't do it well I doubt the blade will.

I'm referring mostly to menu scrolling which is wastly faster in gsf, launcher pro is already my launcher of choice, adw is to slow:-) I'll just try out the libs and kernel :-)

Edited by fldc

I'm trying to reproduce a shutdown I experienced twice with the new kernel. It happened after I played some angry birds and after trying to wake my phone from sleep It's been off. While I'm trying to reproduce it, can someone tell how was I supposed to get a decent logcat.

$ adb logcat > logcat.txt

was it?

I'm referring mostly to menu scrolling which is wastly faster in gsf, launcher pro is already my launcher of choice, adw is to slow:-) I'll just try out the libs and kernel :-)

debug.composition.type=gpu

That line in build.prop makes the scrolling faster in zte-gingerbread, without that it's slower than cm7. I guess it's using the gpu for the ui composition, which makes it faster. It was buggy in the leaked version, it spammed logcat with lots of errors, but with the updated libsurfaceflinger.so from the skate it's less buggy & doesn't spam logcat.

It could take more than the new kernel to make it work in cm7.

Guest hlubepet

debug.composition.type=gpu

That line in build.prop makes the scrolling faster in zte-gingerbread, without that it's slower than cm7. I guess it's using the gpu for the ui composition, which makes it faster. It was buggy in the leaked version, it spammed logcat with lots of errors, but with the updated libsurfaceflinger.so from the skate it's less buggy & doesn't spam logcat.

It could take more than the new kernel to make it work in cm7.

please make one united rom :) :D

as would SEJ7278 say: one rom to rule them all :-D

Edited by hlubepet

please make one united rom :) :D

Ask ZTE, I don't have the source code for everything in their stock roms. Like I said, it's more than just the kernel, other parts of the os are responsible for that kind of thing, I'm not sure if CM7 will support it or not. I'm not sure how much of the gpu composition bit is open source android code & how much (if any) is proprietary zte stuff. Maybe the drivers are enough & it'd just mean a small modification to cm7, but it might not be that simple.

CM7 is the united community rom, but it needs source code to be able to integrate changes.