[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sej7278

is anyone else seeing broken proximity in my 2.6.35 test build? i'm just going to nandroid back to 2.6.32 and see if that fixes it.

edit: confirmed, 2.6.32 doesn't have the issue, so its either the 2.6.35 kernel or new sensor libs, not calibration.

values from my 2.6.32 nandroid (4250,3750,238,238,246,0,0,8,32):

# /system/bin/prox_cal -d

prox_theshold_hi = 4250

prox_theshold_lo = 3750

prox_int_time = 238

prox_adc_time = 238

prox_wait_time = 246

prox_intr_filter = 0

prox_config = 0

prox_pulse_cnt = 8

prox_gain = 32

Edited by sej7278

oddly enough screen on/off works fine if its plugged into usb. without usb i have to push the power button to get the screen back on during a call.

Older kernels had a problem with the phone sleeping during a call once the screen had turned off. As a solution I added a wake lock to the proximity sensor which I haven't done yet in this new kernel. That problem would cause the symptoms you are describing (usb plugged causes a wake lock to be held).

I'll look at adding a wake lock on the sensor again.

Guest sej7278

Older kernels had a problem with the phone sleeping during a call once the screen had turned off. As a solution I added a wake lock to the proximity sensor which I haven't done yet in this new kernel. That problem would cause the symptoms you are describing (usb plugged causes a wake lock to be held).

I'll look at adding a wake lock on the sensor again.

cool, sorry to be a nag on a friday, i'm trying to provide some testing without sounding like a whiner lol.

i suspected it was a sleep issue as from the attached kmsg you can see most of what its doing is trying to suspend!

kmsg.txt

Guest targetbsp

Sounds like you guys are on the case anyway but yes, I can confirm the same issue. If I move the phone to and from my face at the start of a call it turns on and off as expected so the proximity is working (after I calibrated it) After a short time of in call though, the screen stays off if i move it from my face. I didn't notice this earlier because unlike in the old days, the screen does come back on at the end of a call!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest hugobosslives

heya guys.

been on holiday in spain for the past 2 weeks and have thus had a break from android.

just had a quick skim around modaco and there seems to be a bit of work done on the .35 kernel.

without reading the last 2 weeks of pages on this thread. could someone just quickly update me on the cm7 implications? i.e has it got into the cm7 builds yet?

thanks

hugobosslives

Guest hugobosslives

It's in testing but not merged yet. My understanding is that depending upon the testing - that will occur next week. If you want to test, sej has a build with it in (the one with 2635 in the name) http://www.the-jedi..../downloads/cm7/

cheers man.

and anynews on whether it's any improvement?

i'm imagining its full of small bugs? (which doesn't bother me) i just want to know if anything major is broken.....

Guest targetbsp

This current page pretty much covers the issues I know about - mostly related to older fixes that haven't been put back in yet (to test if the issue was fixed by ZTE I guess). In call proximity bug (though unlike last time it recovers post call), and the overheat bug some people have triggering random reboots (i've never had that)

You'll probably have to calibrate your proximity sensor using the included app. I did and I never had to for any prior release.

Benefits wise

Wifi stays on now with the screen off until the timeout period of 15 minutes. So I guess we can get somewhere with keeping the wifi on in the future for those that want to?

Proximity and light sensors work at the same time

I can't tell if scrolling is smoother or not. It never much bothered me in the previous versions.

led notifications will be back in a future version of this kernel

Thank you. Don't bother providing a log.

I wanted to see if the old overheating bug was still a problem before patching it, and it looks like it is. This bug looks like a firmware issue, so I wasn't expecting a kernel update to fix it, but wanted to check before including the patch. I'll get a new kernel up sometime in the next day to fix it. This bug cannot be reproduced on either of my blades so I rely on others for feedback (Jacob doesn't get it either).

I had to restore my old setup, I need the phone part of my blade stable over the weekend. The shutdown happened while the phone was sleeping so I don't know for sure if it was overheating related. (Could be the temp reading stays too high as it was some time back with the old kernel?). Anyway, I'll be happy to test more next week. Thank's a LOT Tom and others, you're doing a fantastic job!

Just a reminder for your todo's with the upcoming FM work, autoseek with other than North American region doesn't work. NA uses even frequencies only so it's no good in countries that use uneven freqs aswell.

can someone tell me how to calibrate the proximity sensor?

I press the "Proximity sensor calibration" and then what should I do?

Nothing..just do not touch/overlie the sersor during the calibration.

Guest sej7278

This current page pretty much covers the issues I know about - mostly related to older fixes that haven't been put back in yet (to test if the issue was fixed by ZTE I guess). In call proximity bug (though unlike last time it recovers post call), and the overheat bug some people have triggering random reboots (i've never had that)

You'll probably have to calibrate your proximity sensor using the included app. I did and I never had to for any prior release.

Benefits wise

Wifi stays on now with the screen off until the timeout period of 15 minutes. So I guess we can get somewhere with keeping the wifi on in the future for those that want to?

Proximity and light sensors work at the same time

I can't tell if scrolling is smoother or not. It never much bothered me in the previous versions.

led notifications will be back in a future version of this kernel

pretty good summary (wifi and gps are better, proximity is busted, some people having signal and overheat issues, no real performance gains or losses) its a shame that .35 is going to require a lot of the workarounds that .32 did it seems.

but for a pre-release kernel based on sources that aren't 100%, done in a week or so, its pretty amazing of tom_g to get this far even (its not like GSF where you can practically just replace the zImage).

Guest targetbsp

Nothing..just do not touch/overlie the sersor during the calibration.

Aren't you meant to bring it up to your ear and back? The ZTE emode one requires that or it just says fail. ref: http://android.modac...ost__p__1795821

I did that in this app and it fixed the screen not switching off for me. Dunno whether it makes any sense to do that but it made mine work so I say go for it!

[edit]

I just tested it and if I do nothing in the calibration app then the proximity sensor doesn't work. If I calibrate it again and bring the phone close to my ear then it does work.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

I just played Pocket League Story for over 3 hours and as far as I can tell the match coverage runs smoother in the new kernel (except for the game bug where it slows to a crawl and you have to press menu and back - GP Story had the same bug. Not a rom issue).

Or it could be a placebo effect and I just had less background stuff running tonight! As I mentioned earlier, I'm crap at judging 2d performance. In any case, 3 hours is probably a decent app stability test!

Edited by targetbsp

Hey sej7278, i installed your 179+ build.

But i have a problem with the app LBE security from market. When i start the app it needs to start a service. But the start of the service failed everytime. I give LBE superuser rights.

Serveral reboots don't helped. Uninstall and new installation also don't help. In your 173+ build the app is working without any problems.

Have you an idea whats happend? Maybe you could also test to install the app and try to start the service.

Guest sej7278

BUG to SEJs 179+2.6.35 - randomly I loose signal (totally, network unavailible), only restart helps....

i noticed the signal went up and down a lot, but i've not lost it completely. are you 2g, 3g or what?

I just tested it and if I do nothing in the calibration app then the proximity sensor doesn't work. If I calibrate it again and bring the phone close to my ear then it does work.

i tried that and it worked once or twice for a call, but after that it was stuck on black screen.

Edited by sej7278

Guest The_Knife

I can't get get recent nightlies to boot on my Blade. The phone just sits there showing the Android boot image forever. 7.1.0-RC1 works fine.

• I've tried N175 and N179
  • I've tried booting twice and waiting a long time each time
  • I've tried ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0.2.7 and 5.0.2.0
  • I've tried installing cleanly and installing on top of RC1
  • I've verified the MD5 of the files on my SD card both before and after flashing
    I have a Swedish (Telia) Gen1 Blade upgraded to Gen2 with wbaw's TPT with a 160 MiB system partition (and 2 MiB cache partition).

Here's my latest set of attempts step by step:
  1. Removed the battery
  2. "wipe data/factory reset" (Clockwork 5.0.2.0)
  3. TPT with Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip unpacked to SD card
  4. "install zip from sdcard" - cm_blade_full-175.zip and then "reboot system now" (Clockwork 3.0.2.7)
  5. Stared at Android boot image for 15 minutes
  6. Removed the battery
  7. Stared at Android boot image for 14 minutes
  8. Removed the battery
  9. "wipe data/factory reset"
  10. "install zip from sdcard" - update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-signed.zip and then "reboot system now"
  11. The Android boot image changed to an animation in a little less than a minute, total boot time 2 minutes
  12. Ran "df -Ph" in terminal - system partition is 160 MiB and cache partition is 2 MiB
  13. "install zip from sdcard" - cm_blade_full-175.zip and then "reboot system now" (Clockwork 3.0.2.7)
  14. Stared at Android boot image for 12 minutes
  15. Removed the battery
  16. Stared at Android boot image for 8 minutes
  17. Removed the battery
  18. "wipe data/factory reset"
  19. "install zip from sdcard" - update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-signed.zip and then "reboot system now"
  20. Installed Clockwork 5.0.2.0 with Recovery Manager
  21. "wipe data/factory reset" (Clockwork 5.0.2.0)
  22. "install zip from sdcard" - cm_blade_full-175.zip and then "reboot system now" (Clockwork 5.0.2.0)
  23. Stared at Android boot image for 11 minutes
  24. Removed the battery
  25. Stared at Android boot image for 15 minutes
  26. "wipe data/factory reset" (Clockwork 5.0.2.0)
  27. "install zip from sdcard" - cm_blade_full-179.zip and then "reboot now" (Clockwork 5.0.2.0)
  28. Stared at Android boot image for 8 minutes
  29. Removed the battery
  30. Stared at Android boot image for 17 minutes
  31. Threw the phone out the window (just kidding)
Edited by The_Knife

I can't get get recent nightlies to boot on my Blade. The phone just sits there showing the Android boot image forever. 7.1.0-RC1 works fine.

you did remove the image directory from the sdcard after doing the TPT?

did the TPT actually run - its reboots into recovery 3027 after printing some coloured text?

did you unpack the TPT using winzip or 7zip - not that shite "compressed folders" microsoft bundle with windows?

if you've already done the v8 TPT which 710rc1 are you using - not the one with the TPT in it?

if cwm 5020 works, you must be running gen2 now i guess.

when you boot you're not holding down vol- or anything are you, as that will enter fastboot which just sits at the green android.

Edited by sej7278

Guest ColdEmbrace

Okay so i've barely followed this thread, for idk a month. The blade wiki says N175+ for GPS fix, im still running n148 not too bothered about the GPS fix didn't use GPS and someone posted the LED worked 6 pages ago, I didn't read them all.

Can someone suggest the best to use performance wise. Battery life isn't the issue. I'm guess what im asking is should I install the latest nightly?