[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest CaptainSpectacular

I just found a bug (?) in the CM rom, late back to the nightlies:

If I tap on the statusbar (or pull it down) it doesn't show the date in the statusbar, although it worked in other roms (GSF, Stock roms...) it is a quite useful function which I miss :)

That's it Sej, thanks.

Go to settings, Cyanogenmod, tablet mode, and untick "left buttons" something like that.

That's it Sej, thanks.

Go to settings, Cyanogenmod, tablet mode, and untick "left buttons" something like that.

does that fix it - or does that block something on the right hand side instead lol. i never knew that.

it is a bit silly that with the buttons turned off its still blocking the date.

In the kernel review there are some reports of random shutdowns. I'm just wondering how to get a decent log in a situation like this? Does /proc/last_ksmg survive a shutdown and if so, should I boot into clockwork and then pull/cat the file? And how about logcat, any use at all? And if yes, what's the easiest way to keep it running in the background without the rest of the system caring about it? I experienced a shutdown twice with patchset1 and Tom assumed it was the overheating bug, but now I just want to be sure I can give something more than "oops it happened" if it does happen here again. Thanks.

does that fix it - or does that block something on the right hand side instead lol. i never knew that.

it is a bit silly that with the buttons turned off its still blocking the date.

it seems to work fine so far on the right side, buttons off.

Guest arkannis

In the kernel review there are some reports of random shutdowns. I'm just wondering how to get a decent log in a situation like this? Does /proc/last_ksmg survive a shutdown and if so, should I boot into clockwork and then pull/cat the file? And how about logcat, any use at all? And if yes, what's the easiest way to keep it running in the background without the rest of the system caring about it? I experienced a shutdown twice with patchset1 and Tom assumed it was the overheating bug, but now I just want to be sure I can give something more than "oops it happened" if it does happen here again. Thanks.

I had a lot of random shutdowns after upgrading my nightly 169 to 179 patch 3 (wiped only dalvik cache).

Then I did a full wipe and installed 179 p3 again and haven't had any shutdowns since.

it seems to work fine so far on the right side, buttons off.

Seems like we have a workaround for the "date bug" ..just might enable softbuttons for my next build.. :D

Edited by sm4tik

I had a lot of random shutdowns after upgrading my nightly 169 to 179 patch 3 (wiped only dalvik cache).

Then I did a full wipe and installed 179 p3 again and haven't had any shutdowns since.

No wipe, no whine, eigh B)

Edited by sm4tik

I had 2 shutdowns with full battery (full wipe) and I decide to try GSF :) But I was very satisfied with sej´s hard work on kangs ...I ´ll be back promise :)

Edited by xondrax

Seems like we have a workaround for the "date bug" ..just might enable softbuttons for my next build.. :D

yup it does seem to work. the attached patch enables sottbuttons, but doesn't display them, and moves them to the right. so the people who actually want the soft buttons can just move them to the left without it annoying those who don't want them by removing the date.

this is just for people compiling cm7, its not something you can flash (i had to zip it up for the forum to allow me to upload it)

softbuttons_left.patch.zip

Thinking about the workaround for the date bug with softbuttons.. this would give a hacky way for adding an enable/disable softbuttons checkbox.

Something like:

if softbuttons are enabled, then

read sofbuttons settings

else

align right and hide all buttons

No idea how that would be done in java, but maybe someone might want to give it a try. :)

yup it does seem to work. the attached patch enables sottbuttons, but doesn't display them, and moves them to the right. so the people who actually want the soft buttons can just move them to the left without it annoying those who don't want them by removing the date.

this is just for people compiling cm7, its not something you can flash (i had to zip it up for the forum to allow me to upload it)

softbuttons_left.patch.zip

Btw, you could just add the wanted lines to device/zte/blade/overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml. This will overwrite the defaults in frameworks. I just did this 5 minutes ago :)

Btw, you could just add the wanted lines to device/zte/blade/overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml. This will overwrite the defaults in frameworks. I just did this 5 minutes ago :)

yes that would be just for blades, not all devices. i prefer to use the global file as the values are already set there, they just need changing (rather than adding).

frankly i don't see why softbuttons aren't enabled (but default to off/right) anyway.

Edited by sej7278

Guest imMartin

I installed the latest version. And when i rebooted my phone, it stayed about 2s on android picture and then shutted down. Tried many times. Still the same problem. Atleast i accessed to clockwork to restore my phone...

// Got fixed it. I forgot that i needed to update my generation. I had gen1. I updated to gen2 and installed again and its working.

Edited by imMartin

I tested this bug today on my o2x. If data is turned off all apns are turned off (mms and supl are data, so a setting to turn off data should kill them), however if you remove your internet apn and leave the mms apn, with data turned on it should send correctly (works for me). I think settings to disable each apn type would be nice, or maybe options to disable each individual apn. I'll do more testing and look at what would work, but don't expect it fixed any time soon (unless you're going to fix it yourself). These things take time, you can't just mention a problem on a forum and expect it will be fixed a few hours later.

Yes, if you remove the APN correctly it sends the Internet is only aproblem if you want to access the Internet with data binding do not have that APN. I know that is not something that can be resolved in a couple of hours but it was something like having to work properly. I'llwait for the resolution of the problem, it will appear ...

Thanks

yes that would be just for blades, not all devices. i prefer to use the global file as the values are already set there, they just need changing (rather than adding).

Ok, that's actually the opposite of how I'm working :lol: I rather keep the global things untouched and work within the blade source as much as possible. I might get another android device one day and have a different setup for it then.

Guest imMartin

Okay. I got a new problem...

First of all, market is missing. Another problem is that, i cant attach my gmail to my phone. It says: SETUP COULD NOT FINISH: unable to open connection to server.

What i have to do?

also i cant download google app files what is needed. Theres written that files are lost. Should i restore my phone back to last rom?

Edited by imMartin

last_kmsg will be lost in a shutdown.

The easiest way to log would be with a simple script. I use the script below run from the terminal emulator app, but if you wanted it to run on every start you could add it to init.d (just realise it will overwrite the files at startup unless you add something unique to the file names eg. a timestamp).

# !/bin/sh

cat /proc/kmsg > /sdcard/kmsg &

logcat > /sdcard/logcat

It wont run from /sdcard/, so I have it on /data/. Its not as good as last_kmsg as it will often not finish writing in a crash, but for the controlled shutdowns it should work fairly well.

Yes, if you remove the APN correctly it sends the Internet is only aproblem if you want to access the Internet with data binding do not have that APN. I know that is not something that can be resolved in a couple of hours but it was something like having to work properly. I'llwait for the resolution of the problem, it will appear ...

Thanks

You can use the APNs to effective turn internet on and off. If you remove everything but you MMS APN to get only the MMS functionality you want, when you do want internet again go into the APNs list, press menu and select 'Reset to default'. It will reset your APNs back to what was there originally (restoring internet), then when you want to disable internet just remove the relevant APNs again. If your APNs aren't listed in the original list add them to /system/etc/apns-conf.xml (and submit a patch to cyanogenmod to have them included).

I know its not as good as a proper option to disable internet only, but it should effectively do the same thing.

You can use the APNs to effective turn internet on and off. If you remove everything but you MMS APN to get only the MMS functionality you want, when you do want internet again go into the APNs list, press menu and select 'Reset to default'. It will reset your APNs back to what was there originally (restoring internet), then when you want to disable internet just remove the relevant APNs again. If your APNs aren't listed in the original list add them to /system/etc/apns-conf.xml (and submit a patch to cyanogenmod to have them included).

I know its not as good as a proper option to disable internet only, but it should effectively do the same thing.

Yes, does the same thing. Thanks for the tip. But try to solve the problem to have a perfect ROM: D

I hope that there will be a fix for the overheating bug. It means that I can't use satnav while charging in the car, unless I take the back off and put my phone in front of the air conditioner.

some odd comments on gerrit, lots of reboots apparently - seems odd as we've been using patch3 a lot longer and not many reboots mentioned here, a few GPS ones, but not temperature-based shutdowns with the sdcard being ejected.

if the temperature values are incorrect, maybe it wouldn't be so bad ignoring them like ZTE do - which i assume includes GSF and other gingerleak "roms".

Edited by sej7278

last_kmsg will be lost in a shutdown.

The easiest way to log would be with a simple script. I use the script below run from the terminal emulator app, but if you wanted it to run on every start you could add it to init.d (just realise it will overwrite the files at startup unless you add something unique to the file names eg. a timestamp).

# !/bin/sh

cat /proc/kmsg > /sdcard/kmsg &

logcat > /sdcard/logcat

It wont run from /sdcard/, so I have it on /data/. Its not as good as last_kmsg as it will often not finish writing in a crash, but for the controlled shutdowns it should work fairly well.

Thanks for clearing up my thoughts, and for the script :)