[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Its not as good as last_kmsg as it will often not finish writing in a crash, but for the controlled shutdowns it should work fairly well.

I just caught a reboot while running these commands. I will send you the logs in pm if it is ok for you.

What I did:

I was connected to wifi

started the logs in terminal

started mytracks app

I noticed, that together with wifi and the radio strenght icon, 2g icon also appeared in the status bar, and their colour turned white (lost connection to google servers)right before it only wifi and radio icon was visible.

then the phone rebooted.

PS: I cannot send pm to TomG, pls let me know where to send the logs. Thanks.

Edited by Benoe

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Running on 179 + patch 3 for 3 days without charge with some music, internet and calls without any problem. Very happy with it. :)

Just a little thing. When I took a picture zoomed, the phone do not save the zoomed photo but the original one. There's a workaround for this ?

Just a little thing. When I took a picture zoomed, the phone do not save the zoomed photo but the original one. There's a workaround for this ?

I have the same, but I tought this zoom is not to make a closer picture, but to check the main object before you take a full picture.

Edited by Benoe

some odd comments on gerrit, lots of reboots apparently - seems odd as we've been using patch3 a lot longer and not many reboots mentioned here, a few GPS ones, but not temperature-based shutdowns with the sdcard being ejected.

if the temperature values are incorrect, maybe it wouldn't be so bad ignoring them like ZTE do - which i assume includes GSF and other gingerleak "roms".

The GPS reboots are certainly a problem. I found a setting in the old kernel that made it much less severe and I expect it will work in this kernel as well, but first I'd like to have another look at the real problem (changing the kernel setting just masks the problem, it doesn't fix it). Recreating the crash is unfortunately difficult which makes it hard to debug.

If the shutdowns are related to the high temp bug then most users will not experience the problem. A lot of users reported the problem before, but I think overall it is a fairly small percentage of devices that are effected. The sdcard eject message is because it is a controlled shutdown of the system and in a normal controlled shutdown the sdcard is unmounted and prepared for eject. The fix ZTE used is not in the kernel, it is in the android framework and I assume simply disables the shutdown function (the shutdown is initiated by android, not the kernel). A patch to do that would never be accepted in CM7 since it would break the shutdown on all devices, and its just a bad idea.

For some reason my PM limit was halved at some time, so I'm now at around 200% capacity and can't receive anything, but I would like to see logs for both the GPS reboots and the shutdown problems if people can provide them.

Running on 179 + patch 3 for 3 days without charge with some music, internet and calls without any problem. Very happy with it. :)

I've heard about that before, but haven't look into it yet. Its not a new problem, it has always been the same.

Guest targetbsp

I've battered the heck out of the new kernel from an application point of view. Took it from 100% battery to 1 playing a game with no reboots.

Spent yesterday from 80% to 9% re-doing my UI. New launcher, sampling several program group apps etc. Several manual reboots and connections to and from usb to force issues that were lagging my old launcher. No rom issues I noticed.

I have to admit to having not used it much as an actual phone with the new kernel though! A few texts and short calls but that's it.

I did have a GPS reboot 1 out of several tests on patch set 1 though. I typically don't use the GPS so I can't get a handle on how frequent this is in real world use.

Now a noob question... how the heck do i add a folder of new pictures (icon png's specifically) to Gallery?? I can only get it to see them by putting them in a subfolder of a wallpaper folder I made in the distant past. I don't recall how that was added to gallery.

[edit]Ignore this last paragraph, I was being dumb! I'd disabled its media scanner finished event long ago cause I never used Gallery. And forgot to turn it back on now I was using it. :|

Edited by targetbsp

For some reason my PM limit was halved at some time, so I'm now at around 200% capacity and can't receive anything, but I would like to see logs for both the GPS reboots and the shutdown problems if people can provide them.

I have logs if you tell me where to send.

Patchset 3. USB Tether don't work. confirm? Bug?

working fine here.

and no crashes with 2.6.35, no gps reboots (still using the gps fix though), best rom so far for me :D

Edited by fldc

Guest ian_c_here

Patchset 3. USB Tether don't work. Confirmed!!! Tom G., Take a look at this bugreport!

Came from ss5 on Monday to 179+patch 3 2 days ago. Very impressed with the excellent battery life.

Just tried USB tether and it works on mine. Initial installation failed due to RNDIS missing. Windows device manager had yellow marker against it. Used update driver and it installed from the internet. Tether worked.

I have been using GPS with mytracks over a couple of days with no reboots and excellent speed of acquisition and accuracy.

Thanks for all the work on this ROM.

The GPS reboots are certainly a problem. I found a setting in the old kernel that made it much less severe and I expect it will work in this kernel as well, but first I'd like to have another look at the real problem (changing the kernel setting just masks the problem, it doesn't fix it). Recreating the crash is unfortunately difficult which makes it hard to debug.

I can re-produce temperature based reboots almost on demand. My SIM card and SD card also gets very hot. I have had my SD card ejected without continuing to a reboot.

What command should I run before and after reboot to give you the particular logs you require?

I can re-produce temperature based reboots almost on demand. My SIM card and SD card also gets very hot. I have had my SD card ejected without continuing to a reboot.

What command should I run before and after reboot to give you the particular logs you require?

I see post 8326 tells me what to run, I'll do that and get some logs for you if you want.

I have been using GPS with mytracks over a couple of days with no reboots and excellent speed of acquisition and accuracy.

Do you have "Use wireless networks" enabled in location&security settings?

Guest ian_c_here

Do you have "Use wireless networks" enabled in location&security settings?

Yes

Each time it was running for about 30 minutes. I do a couple of laps around my local woods and record the tracks. The tracks overlap extremely well.

If the shutdowns are related to the high temp bug then most users will not experience the problem. A lot of users reported the problem before, but I think overall it is a fairly small percentage of devices that are effected. The sdcard eject message is because it is a controlled shutdown of the system and in a normal controlled shutdown the sdcard is unmounted and prepared for eject. The fix ZTE used is not in the kernel, it is in the android framework and I assume simply disables the shutdown function (the shutdown is initiated by android, not the kernel). A patch to do that would never be accepted in CM7 since it would break the shutdown on all devices, and its just a bad idea.

Well, people with that bug, could use a externel patch to disable the Shutdown Function.

Yes

Each time it was running for about 30 minutes. I do a couple of laps around my local woods and record the tracks. The tracks overlap extremely well.

I also use it almost every day in the morning for approx 40mins without problem. But after some sleep of the phone, when I start mytracks again to review my latest track sometimes it does reboot.

Hi Tom G

My original post was

Following this I did attempt install after a full wipe with the same result with n171 & n177.

Hope this info is of use :)

Cheers Paul

Can you get a logcat showing the problem.

Thanks.

That sounds like a faulty device that is actually overheating. This is why totally disabling the temperature reading is a bad idea. Normally when the bug is triggered the phone doesn't get hot at all, it just gets abnormally high values from the sensor.

Guest ian_c_here

Just returned from picking my grandson up so I thought I would give the navigation a go.

I had it plugged in and charging and it ran for about an hour without any problems. It was only mildly warm to the touch at the opposite end of the phone to the battery, which was cool to the touch.