[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest downloader50

I've noticed using cooltool to monitor cpu speed, that with most of the overclocking governors,including on demand, if the screen in on the cpu is constantly running at max speed,even if the phone is doing nothing. Is this how it's supposed to behave? On my pc an on demand governor scales the cpu speed down to minimum until more power is needed.

Mine goes upto max speed only when doing something then drops down to 122mhz as soon as the screen stops scrolling etc

Hi,

for everyone in doubt regarding the battery life of CM7, I've done the following "experiment": simply count how much time passes between each 1% drop.

I've compared CM7 (equivalent to latest nightly, compiled by me on saturday) to GSF Beta 14. Both are pretty stock, with launcher pro, same background, same widgets, 2G/GSM, no wifi, no bluetooth, no data connection, both tests just after bootstrap (leaving some time to boot everything up), same light conditions, etc. etc.

Note: CM7 had governor ON_DEMAND, and both tests were made in the area of 55%-65% battery (to account for battery bias in certain voltage areas)..

1st experiment: Idle with screen on (changed settings to turn off light by 30 minutes)

- CM7 (about 3:10 min)

- GSF b14 (more than 15:00 [i became bored after 15 minutes])

2nd experiment: Playing with the launcher, just switching workspaces on a periodical basis (about 1 turn each 1 second), to keep the processor at max speed

- CM7 (about 2:00)

- GSF b14 (about 2:00)

Conclusions: CM7 seems more expensive on battery while idle. Both seem equivalent running at "top speed".

João Ventura

I've been following the discussion about battery usage on this thread and there are too many variables in peoples' observations to draw any conclusion.

The above experimental approach is the best I've seen so far. Perhaps others would care to build on this approach (perhaps single GSF build and CM7 stable, forgetting the nightlies which just add to confusion.)

It's seems that 3g has been ruled out. We need to really analyse the differences between the two roms (kernel, apps, settings). Perhaps it is one of the stock apps for the roms or maybe just a simple setting difference Maybe it is an app in CM that is continually 'polling' 3g or wifi even though they are turned-off.

Bill.

Guest jackal-sk

Note: CM7 had governor ON_DEMAND, and both tests were made in the area of 55%-65% battery (to account for battery bias in certain voltage areas)..

1st experiment: Idle with screen on (changed settings to turn off light by 30 minutes)

- CM7 (about 3:10 min)

- GSF b14 (more than 15:00 [i became bored after 15 minutes])

2nd experiment: Playing with the launcher, just switching workspaces on a periodical basis (about 1 turn each 1 second), to keep the processor at max speed

- CM7 (about 2:00)

- GSF b14 (about 2:00)

Conclusions: CM7 seems more expensive on battery while idle. Both seem equivalent running at "top speed".

João Ventura

Nice test you've done, however 3:10 min for CM7 idle is a very odd value. I've finished the same experiment (great idea btw) and here are my results:

ROM, CM7 n241, 2G+GPS on, Wifi+3G+BT off, OnDemand 245 - 604

Backlight 50%:

70% - 60% = 43 min

Backlight 100%:

60% - 50% = 18 min

I put the phone to freezer for few mins before running the 2nd test so it cools down a bit. So in conclusion, from my experience, there seems to be no difference between CM7 and GSF battery wise. As I did write yesterday, I'm very happy with the battery life now, will post stats later.

Edited by jackal-sk

Guest jventura

Nice test you've done, however 3:10 min for CM7 idle is a very odd value. I've finished the same experiment (great idea btw) and here are my results:

ROM, CM7 n241, 2G+GPS on, Wifi+3G+BT off, OnDemand 245 - 604

Backlight 50%:

70% - 60% = 43 min

Backlight 100%:

60% - 50% = 18 min

I put the phone to freezer for few mins before running the 2nd test so it cools down a bit. So in conclusion, from my experience, there seems to be no difference between CM7 and GSF battery wise.

Hi,

70% to 60% in 43 minutes is 4.3 minutes for each 1%, correct? It was with the phone idle? If yes, it is "somewhat" close to my measurements in CM7.. In GSFb14, for a drop of 1% had more than 15 minutes, which would make 70%-60% in 150 minutes (2:30)..

Am I interpreting your results correctly?

Guest popoyaya

I've noticed using cooltool to monitor cpu speed, that with most of the overclocking governors,including on demand, if the screen in on the cpu is constantly running at max speed,even if the phone is doing nothing. Is this how it's supposed to behave? On my pc an on demand governor scales the cpu speed down to minimum until more power is needed.

Mine goes upto max speed only when doing something then drops down to 122mhz as soon as the screen stops scrolling etc

Are you overclocking? Which governor?

For me barcode scanner is working, it just has a graphical glitch.

I meant no glitches on Burstlam kang.

It should be considered about n240 and should have all latest patches.

Guest jackal-sk

Hi,

70% to 60% in 43 minutes is 4.3 minutes for each 1%, correct? It was with the phone idle? If yes, it is "somewhat" close to my measurements in CM7.. In GSFb14, for a drop of 1% had more than 15 minutes, which would make 70%-60% in 150 minutes (2:30)..

Am I interpreting your results correctly?

Yes you are. Are you serious GSF went down by 1% per 15 minutes ?? :blink: Can anyone else confirm this ? If so, bye bye CM7 heh.

Guest gnarula

Hello gnarula!

How do I calibrate the Proximity Sensor?

If you're using N241 then Open the App Drawer and Go to ZTE Blade Settings and tap on "Proximity sensor Calibration"

In N227 the ZTE Blade Settings can be accessed through Menu->Settings->ZTE Blade Settings

Regards,

gnarula

Guest jventura

Yes you are. Are you serious GSF went down by 1% per 15 minutes ?? :blink: Can anyone else confirm this ? If so, bye bye CM7 heh.

Yes, I am being serious!

However, please note that this was not the most accurate comparison, ie, many things can still occur. I've only calibrated the battery with CM7 one time (I've read in a previous post someone who had to calibrate 3 times in order to have better battery).

But the conclusions that I've came to are still applicable: CM7 seems to draw more battery than GSF b14 in idle with screen on at about 50% backlight (that was how I tested it). However, at max frequency, both seem to draw almost the same charge.. Maybe that is why some gamers and heavy users here claim same battery usage?!

Note: I do not wish to start here a war like Rom "A" is better than CM7. I like the idea of CM7, I contribute some pt-PT translations to it, compile my own versions, and learn much with the code of it. However, I would like it to be more battery-friendly in order to use it more regularly. That is the purpose of this comparison, and also to make it a more "scientifically" discussion instead of people claiming different things..

Guest julianpaul

I put the phone to freezer for few mins ...

Well, after OCing, this was bound to happen! What next, liquid nitrogen cooling for the blade? tongue.gif

Edited by julianpaul

Guest marcodassi

Hello folks

interestingly enough, with N244 the GPS problems (see my previous posts on this page and the page before) seems to be fixed :)

GPS locks in really fast time (seconds), and the error is a whooping 5 meters

regards

Hello, I have for some time one pixel error in the App depot. For applications or the home screen, this does not occur. I already had the CM7 at the N227. I done today, then once the update on the new nightly in the hope that what is left changeable, but unfortunately it was not the case. I used the time to go Launcher. I had once tried the AWD launcher but there appears to be the same problem. Can someone help me as and excuse for my bad english greetings eflih!

55395d1320058988-diskussion-cyanogenmod-7-x-android-2-3-x-screenshot-1320058625512.png

Hello folks

interestingly enough, with N244 the GPS problems (see my previous posts on this page and the page before) seems to be fixed :)

GPS locks in really fast time (seconds), and the error is a whooping 5 meters

regards

maybe they fixed the satellites.. :lol:

Hello, I have for some time one pixel error in the App depot. For applications or the home screen, this does not occur. I already had the CM7 at the N227. I done today, then once the update on the new nightly in the hope that what is left changeable, but unfortunately it was not the case. I used the time to go Launcher. I had once tried the AWD launcher but there appears to be the same problem. Can someone help me as and excuse for my bad english greetings eflih!

Use darker background :P

Guest eucurto

If I disable mobile data, MMS also stop working, I mean I cant send or receive MMS.

In GSF this didn't happens. I can disable mobile data but MMS still works fine.

Is there any config in CM7 to avoid this?

Thanks.

Guest downloader50

If I disable mobile data, MMS also stop working, I mean I cant send or receive MMS.

In GSF this didn't happens. I can disable mobile data but MMS still works fine.

Is there any config in CM7 to avoid this?

Thanks.

As far as i know data has to be enabled to use MMS

Guest downloader50

With screen on - no release of any rom will use only 1% in 15 mins And i have used most of them

Guest jackal-sk

With screen on - no release of any rom will use only 1% in 15 mins And i have used most of them

Well jventura was talking about screen on i believe. It seems quite a lot to me either.