[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Hello, I have for some time one pixel error in the App depot. For applications or the home screen, this does not occur. I already had the CM7 at the N227. I done today, then once the update on the new nightly in the hope that what is left changeable, but unfortunately it was not the case. I used the time to go Launcher. I had once tried the AWD launcher but there appears to be the same problem. Can someone help me as and excuse for my bad english greetings eflih!

55395d1320058988-diskussion-cyanogenmod-7-x-android-2-3-x-screenshot-1320058625512.png

Hey,

Try turning off 16-bit transparency, it might make your phone the tiniest bit slower when scrolling, but I think disabling it in some of the recent nighties seems to fix the issue you are having.

Settings>CyanogenModSettings>Performance>16-bit transparency (uncheck)

Hi,

for everyone in doubt regarding the battery life of CM7, I've done the following "experiment": simply count how much time passes between each 1% drop.

I've compared CM7 (equivalent to latest nightly, compiled by me on saturday) to GSF Beta 14. Both are pretty stock, with launcher pro, same background, same widgets, 2G/GSM, no wifi, no bluetooth, no data connection, both tests just after bootstrap (leaving some time to boot everything up), same light conditions, etc. etc.

Note: CM7 had governor ON_DEMAND, and both tests were made in the area of 55%-65% battery (to account for battery bias in certain voltage areas)..

1st experiment: Idle with screen on (changed settings to turn off light by 30 minutes)

- CM7 (about 3:10 min)

- GSF b14 (more than 15:00 [i became bored after 15 minutes])

2nd experiment: Playing with the launcher, just switching workspaces on a periodical basis (about 1 turn each 1 second), to keep the processor at max speed

- CM7 (about 2:00)

- GSF b14 (about 2:00)

Conclusions: CM7 seems more expensive on battery while idle. Both seem equivalent running at "top speed".

João Ventura

I've attempted to repeat these results, but with GSF B19 as I don't have B14. I have only run the tests once so far, but my results indicate there is no difference in battery consumption for the phone-idle-screen-on test:

CM 7.1.0 stable. 45->40%, 7 min 20s.

GSF B19. 44->39%, 7 min 22s.

In both tests the phone was freshly booted with no user apps running. Wifi was on, 3G data on, no data being synced. Screen at 50% brightness (set with settings->display->brightness), screen timeout set to 30 mins. Ondemand governor with min 122 MHz was set in both (using setCPU in GSF and CM settings in CM7). The phone was idle on the Zeam launcher home screen.

Guest jventura

I've attempted to repeat these results, but with GSF B19 as I don't have B14. I have only run the tests once so far, but my results indicate there is no difference in battery consumption for the phone-idle-screen-on test:

CM 7.1.0 stable. 45->40%, 7 min 20s.

GSF B19. 44->39%, 7 min 22s.

In both tests the phone was freshly booted with no user apps running. Wifi was on, 3G data on, no data being synced. Screen at 50% brightness (set with settings->display->brightness), screen timeout set to 30 mins. Ondemand governor with min 122 MHz was set in both (using setCPU in GSF and CM settings in CM7). The phone was idle on the Zeam launcher home screen.

Well, it seems strange no doubt.. Let's see if more people can test compare their ROM's.. I will also try to do another one, maybe using 5% differences as you did instead of 1%, it may be more accurate!

However, accordingly to the GSF thread before being deleted, it seemed that gsf b14 was the best regarding battery life. If someone wants it to test it, I can post a link to my custom version of gsf b14 (change in theme, less apps that can be installed from market, old market..)

Guest eucurto

As far as i know data has to be enabled to use MMS

in GSF not... so it must be some configuration..

i read in the CM7 forums that maybe as something to do with a file Telephony.db

It says to delete it and reboot, /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

i did that and it's the same... any ideas please?

why do we have to turn mobile data ON so we can send or receive MMS?

In stock ROM this doesn't happen. In stock, mobile data turns on, sends the MMS and goes back off automatically.

Can some one confirm this bug?

Guest downloader50

in GSF not... so it must be some configuration..

On further reading this is an Cyanogen issue but you have to be connected to 3g to send a mms

Edited by downloader50

Guest BurgerZ

On further reading this is an Cyanogen issue but you have to be connected to 3g to send a mms

Nope. To use mms you have to set up mms settings from your provider, data can be switched off. Mms does not use data connection. It connects automatically with own settings with data off.

Guest downloader50

Nope. To use mms you have to set up mms settings from your provider, data can be switched off. Mms does not use data connection. It connects automatically with own settings with data off.

from mobile phones .co.uk

it needs a 3g network not 3g data connection

MMS is an extension of the SMS protocol, making its usage familiar to existing SMS users. An MMS message is a single entity, not a collection of attachments. One of the main practical differences between MMS and SMS is that whilst SMS messages are limited to 160 bytes, an MMS message has no size limit and could be many Kbytes in size, or even larger. MMS requires a third generation (3G) network to enable such large messages to be delivered, although smaller messages can be sent even with second generation networks using GPRS.

Well, after many tests I've found the best phone/battery conditions for me:

- WIFI On All the time

- 3G OFF All the time

- 2G /Network Data/ Enabled when needed / manually/

- Self-made brightness settings

- GPS On All the time

- Auto sync On /Gmail, 2 E-Mail Accounts, GTalk.../

Now I'm running Sej's 24.10 build, I have 55% battery, time since unplugged 2days, 5h

Edited by iashok

Guest jackal-sk

More battery testing:

ZTE Blade, CM7 n241, 2G+GPS on, Wifi+3G+BT off, OnDemand 245 - 604

Backlight 50% (idle)

60 - 50 % = 44 min (1st test this morning 43 min)

HTC Desire HD, Stock 1230 mAh, HTC Stock ROM 2.3, same settings as Blade

Backlight 50% (idle)

50 - 40 % = 53 min

All I can say again I'm really glad. I was a little afraid having battery drain problems with sej's 220+ build and thought it would continue throughout next nightlies, but it doesn't. Overall the battery life is also great.

Edited by jackal-sk

Guest TouchyAndalou
If someone wants it to test it, I can post a link to my custom version of gsf b14 (change in theme, less apps that can be installed from market, old market..)

I wouldn't mind trying out your custom version if you can post it. Thanks.

Guest rockstarszzzz

I can't see the soft buttons after turning on the tablet tweaks in nightly build 241, is the function removed?

softbuttons are not CM7 feature. They are added in mods by Sej.

Well, it seems strange no doubt.. Let's see if more people can test compare their ROM's.. I will also try to do another one, maybe using 5% differences as you did instead of 1%, it may be more accurate!

However, accordingly to the GSF thread before being deleted, it seemed that gsf b14 was the best regarding battery life. If someone wants it to test it, I can post a link to my custom version of gsf b14 (change in theme, less apps that can be installed from market, old market..)

After a bit of hunting I found a copy of the original GSF B14 (I won't post a link as it may be taken down, but it is still available if you look in the right place).

I reproduced my configuration and settings on GSF B14 and I found that after 1 hour the battery percentage did not drop at all. Like jventura I got bored at that point. I rebooted and found the battery percentage had dropped by 10% when I restarted. I suspect, therefore, that GSF B14 does not report battery percentage in the same way as the other ROMs. However, if the 10% drop is true then GSF B14 outperforms both B19 and CM7 on the phone-idle-screen-on test by quite a margin (1% in 6 mins vs. 1% in 1 min 24s). This needs more investigation. Now that I have B14 on my phone I plan to run it for a few days in general use to see how it goes. I'll report back anything interesting.

Re battery life discussion:

I too had been a little disappointed with CM7 battery life after moving from GSF, getting between 1 and 2 days with 7.1.0 stable after being used to closer to 3 days with GSF. After a few charge-discharge cycles I had hoped it would settle down, but it didn't. So I did the old recalibration trick and I have been pleasantly surprised - well, amazed, actually. My battery is currently at 40% after almost 2 days and 22 hours! This is with fairly light use - some maps/GPS, some browsing, email reading, a few minutes of games and a handful of calls. All radios have been on all of the time (3G data, wifi and GPS). Auto-sync is off, wifi sleep is never, wifi open network notification is off. This is on a 10 month old LED phone.

This is still early days as this is still the first discharge cycle after calibration, and I want to monitor how things are with different usage scenarios, but so far so good.

After several more recharge cycles I think the first recalibration cycle was not representative. In fact I had to reboot the phone and remove the battery after reporting my experience above, so I suspect that it wasn't running correctly. My longer term battery consumption pattern has been closer to 1-2 days depending on usage, more or less what I had seen before the recalibration.

I dream that all this battery life stuff goes to separate thread. That there to have been a comparative table of measurements of battery life, the only rules of proper placement of the research results and other things what interested in this people needs. I'm bored of this endless and fruitless discussion here.

Sorry for my bad English

Guest downloader50

Battery issues

On my phone cm 7.1 is as good as any version of gsf.

Too many users report issues within a day of updating to CM you have to let the phone update its stats first

Too many users report this and that but you can't compare different users battery life without knowing what is installed and what is running in the back ground

We don't know the state of users batterys some will be new some will be old

Most 2.3 roms are so similar that unless there is a genuine error like with the rds radio on GSF23 (i think it was) then battery life will be similar no matter what rom you use Android doesn't report battery stats very accurately mine is at 100% took of charger last night at 10pm it's now 7.20am but if i start using it now it will drop rapidly to about 90% as the battery stats update.

Guest MidaMilunk

A non-battery related issue:

For me CM7 n241 shows a broken image while using fastburst camera. I have tried to switch 16bit transparency (and reboot) but no change. Anyone use this app (or any similar)? The taken image itself is ok.

A non-battery related issue:

For me CM7 n241 shows a broken image while using fastburst camera. I have tried to switch 16bit transparency (and reboot) but no change. Anyone use this app (or any similar)? The taken image itself is ok.

Seems the same issue reported for Barcode Scanner and Goggles on latest nightlyes.

A thing that might be worth investigating is that on Burstlam and Sej kangs everything seems working fine.

Maybe there is something wrong in the autobuilder?

Edited by Monfro

Guest downloader50

Seems the same issue reported for Barcode Scanner and Goggles on latest nightlyes.

A thing that might be worth investigating is that on Burstlam and Sej kangs everything seems working fine.

It's only the nightlys affected from 241 onwards 7.1 stable is OK I tried 244 last night and had saame issues with goggles and scanner so restored back to 7.1 and all ok again

Guest MidaMilunk

Really it should be the same... Barcode scanner is also affected for me as well!

Thanks a lot!

Guest jackal-sk

I dream that all this battery life stuff goes to separate thread. That there to have been a comparative table of measurements of battery life, the only rules of proper placement of the research results and other things what interested in this people needs. I'm bored of this endless and fruitless discussion here.

Sorry for my bad English

I think we are actually getting somewhere by real measurements and testing, not just - this rom is bad, this battery life is bad... The thing is, if GSF can really hold up 3x more than CM with screen on it should be noted. If one reads e-books for instance its a great difference. Nobody has every seriously measured this tho.