[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest downloader50

It always does that doesn't it? But doesn't actually use the battery. I seem to recall it being a suspect back when making a call did cause battery drain and then turning out it was harmless? Not hurting my battery anyway. I've been off charge 6 and a half hours with the phone running 25 minutes and still on 94% battery with over 3 hours of sensor use due to the dialler.

Interesting to hear it doesnt eat battery I thought i was suffering less battery life but it may be something else

Guest calculate

not much i expect (burstlam's adds s2e). i've just uploaded n257+ which has on top of the regular n257:

it doesn't have the recently updated chinese translations, which i guess burstlam was trying out.

probably not worth looking at if you've already tried mine/burstlam's n256, but should definitely be better than the regular nightlies.

after flashing, delete the proximity calibration data, reboot and re-calibrate (the defaults are useless for me).

if anyone has a 5mp camera it would be interesting to see if this works for you.

usual place for the download.

Sorry, but at usual place I don't see any ROM.

ciao. calculate

Guest MidaMilunk

I have just realized that light values measured by the sensor has been changed in this ROM.

Earlier it measured stg it had called LUX (I know what LUX is, but I am far not sure it ever had real connection with the displayed values) - now it measures numbers between 0 and 100 (at least I could not see more even holding against direct bright sunlight.

Is it possible to change this back? Since afaik the proximity and the light sensor are the same, I tried to reset the factory values at the "device setting / proximity calibration" (and reboot as it is recommended) but it remained the same. After calibrating proximity, does not change eighter.

I have seen applications which relayed on the LUX value, like photometer, or stg similar. I can hardly imagine, theese are still working...

Guest targetbsp

Surely apps that rely on it will be able to obtain the range from the phone in some fashion? Hard to believe every phone model on the planet is consistent in the feedback it gives from its light meter??

People seem to be assuming different means wrong. It might do - it might be an accident the light range is changed. But it might not. It functions in that brighter light provides a bigger number and if this change is intentional, then it's not wrong. It's just the presets for auto brightness that are wrong.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest MidaMilunk

Surely apps that rely on it will be able to obtain the range from the phone in some fashion? Hard to believe every phone model on the planet is consistent in the feedback it gives from its light meter??

People seem to be assuming different means wrong. It might do - it might be an accident the light range is changed. But it might not. It functions in that brighter light provides a bigger number and if this change is intentional, then it's not wrong. It's just the presets for auto brightness that are wrong.

I did not say it is wrong, just a bit strange for me. I have just tried elixir, it still believes it reads LUX values, but shows the same (1 lux-9 lux in my office) small values. If this change is not an accident, some applications will have to ask the version in order to evaluate the sensor values. It is still not wrong, maybe it also has advantages...

Anyway, this is not hard to me to believe that all phones tries to provide the same value for the same amount of light, like it is not hard to assume that all GPS devices gives very SIMILAR values as LAT/LONG values when standing on the same position.

Edited by MidaMilunk

Guest targetbsp

A lat/long position IS a precise thing. Whereas the fact that the CM team long ago gave up trying to create default auto-brightness settings that please everyone with a Blade suggests to me it's not even consistant across variants of this one phone, never mind across every model of light sensor in every model of phone from every manufacturer. :)

If you have a look at the display proximity sensor data screen there are 9 different stats detailing the specification of the sensor. Presumably those figures would have to be used in conjunction with the current proximity reading to arrive at the proximity figure. More likely I suppose is that the driver or Android is meant to use these figures to provide some kind of normalised value so apps do see consistent feedback from all phones?

All of this is just guesswork though. I'm mostly just thinking out loud about the whole subject. :D You specifically mentioned apps you imagine would be broken. Have you actually tried them to see if they are? That would surely answer the question. :)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest MidaMilunk

A lat/long position IS a precise thing. Whereas the fact that the CM team long ago gave up trying to create default auto-brightness settings that please everyone with a Blade suggests to me it's not even consistant across variants of this one phone, never mind across every model of light sensor in every model of phone from every manufacturer. :)

If you have a look at the display proximity sensor data screen there are 9 different stats detailing the specification of the sensor. Presumably those figures would have to be used in conjunction with the current proximity reading to arrive at the proximity figure. More likely I suppose is that the driver or Android is meant to use these figures to provide some kind of normalised value so apps do see consistent feedback from all phones?

All of this is just guesswork though. I'm mostly just thinking out loud about the whole subject. :D You specifically mentioned apps you imagine would be broken. Have you actually tried them to see if they are? That would surely answer the question. :)

OK, I have tried LightMeter. Mysteriously it seems to work! It shows the same unusual lux values, like 1, or 5 (still in the office, quite few luminescent light), but it gives something similar I would expect as exposure value - and it s "measured" EV changes much more than the displayed lux value - I guess there is another (more graduated) value it actually uses. I should test it though.

Anyway, the light value is at least as precise, as lat/long, but of course mainly for real exposure meters! I have never seen a specification, what a light sensor should give as a light value, maybe there are much more than just one value.

To cut this short, I have modified the auto brightness values, and happy again (:-), thanks dealing with me! I wonder if next CM releases keep this behaviour of the sensor, or not!

Guest gomes29

hi, I recently flashed the latest sej build (n257+) but my proximity sensor is broken. I did 'restore proximity defaults' then reboot and when I'm going to calibrate the proximity sensor it gives an error like 'something went wrong.Aborting'... I read something about manually change the proximity values but I dont really know for what values I need to change... someone help me pls

nobody with this problem? I did a full wipe btw....

Guest targetbsp

nobody with this problem? I did a full wipe btw....

Are you indoors? I once tried it outside to see how brighter light affects the calibration values (I must have been bored) and it didn't like calibrating in the brightness of sunlight.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I realized the changelog is displaying all the ics changes too, so it's a bit useless atm. Just a warning for all of those keeping track on the changes using that page.

The changelog needs a bit of a clean up. It's also going over its google apps quota, and there are new devices which haven't been added to it yet.

Guest targetbsp

Is there a guide somewhere to apps2ext? Or preferably on moving from apps2sd to apps2ext if possible? I'm just wondering if the launcher lag/appearing_to_crash after reboot and sd card mounts is down to apps2sd. I've noticed that before it lags the manage apps screen recognises most of my games as their package name and has no idea of their file size, then after the lag they're all showing fine. Might explain why some have it and not others? If it's affected by the number of apps you have installed to SD or avoided by having ext? So I thought I'd play this weekend.

I know nothing about having an ext partition. I went from not having enough apps to need one to having a rom that supports apps2sd. And Cm's wiki is all about apps2sd now with no help for ext.

Is there a guide somewhere to apps2ext? Or preferably on moving from apps2sd to apps2ext if possible? I'm just wondering if the launcher lag/appearing_to_crash after reboot and sd card mounts is down to apps2sd. I've noticed that before it lags the manage apps screen recognises most of my games as their package name and has no idea of their file size, then after the lag they're all showing fine. Might explain why some have it and not others? If it's affected by the number of apps you have installed to SD or avoided by having ext? So I thought I'd play this weekend.

I know nothing about having an ext partition. I went from not having enough apps to need one to having a rom that supports apps2sd. And Cm's wiki is all about apps2sd now with no help for ext.

You are right, Launcher Pro can freeze/crash after a reboot, also due to apps on ext partition, which are a little slower to initialize than on internal storage.

But this freeze/ crash is not only due to ext partition and apps on it, but to specific apps.

I had this problem on gsf: i found that uninstalling widgetsoid solved it.

Now i have near all the apps that loads on phone startup on internal memory (launcher pro and unlocker,beautiful widgets and animations, g-alarm and dialer2 ) and everything is fine.

I put the apks on system partition before flashing a new rom, but you can also use titanium backup or a root app to do it later.

Guest Amphoras

The easiest way to do it I've found is using S2E. First of all you need to create an ext partition on your sdcard. ext3 seems to work with most stuff without giving problems. You can do this pretty easily using something like Parted Magic or I think there are Windows tools to do it as well. (You can use Parted Magic on a Windows machine as well if you burn it to cd then boot from that at startup.) I think you can also do it from Clockwork, but I've not used that so dunno the exact instructions. Once you've got your partition set up, start your phone up and open S2E. You can then choose what you want to move to the ext partition - I move apps, private apps, dalvik cache and download cache. I think as long as you don't move app data its usually ok (though you can if you want, just might make it unstable). Once you've done that, reboot and it should start to work. If you look in Titanium, you should see another bar appeared for "SD card (a2sd)" showing how much is being used. Once its working, you can just move the apps that are on your sd card fat32 partition back to the internal memory and they should get moved over to the ext partition with everything else.

Guest targetbsp

You are right, Launcher Pro can freeze/crash after a reboot, also due to apps on ext partition, which are a little slower to initialize than on internal storage.

But this freeze/ crash is not only due to ext partition and apps on it, but to specific apps.

I had this problem on gsf: i found that uninstalling widgetsoid solved it.

Now i have near all the apps that loads on phone startup on internal memory (launcher pro and unlocker,beautiful widgets and animations, g-alarm and dialer2 ) and everything is fine.

I put the apks on system partition before flashing a new rom, but you can also use titanium backup or a root app to do it later.

So your using ext and had the problem? Damn I was hoping switching to ext would be a cure!

I am indeed using widgetsoid. I love it though! I might rather put up with it as it only happens after a reboot since I have the homescreen locked in memory and I use samba filesharing rather than dismount my SD card. I might try some alternatives to it and see how I get on but I found widgestoid better than the rest last time I compared them all several months ago.

Thanks for the tip about startup apps on internal. Unfortunately I'd already done that without fixing it.

Guest targetbsp

The easiest way to do it I've found is using S2E. First of all you need to create an ext partition on your sdcard. ext3 seems to work with most stuff without giving problems. You can do this pretty easily using something like Parted Magic or I think there are Windows tools to do it as well. (You can use Parted Magic on a Windows machine as well if you burn it to cd then boot from that at startup.) I think you can also do it from Clockwork, but I've not used that so dunno the exact instructions. Once you've got your partition set up, start your phone up and open S2E. You can then choose what you want to move to the ext partition - I move apps, private apps, dalvik cache and download cache. I think as long as you don't move app data its usually ok (though you can if you want, just might make it unstable). Once you've done that, reboot and it should start to work. If you look in Titanium, you should see another bar appeared for "SD card (a2sd)" showing how much is being used. Once its working, you can just move the apps that are on your sd card fat32 partition back to the internal memory and they should get moved over to the ext partition with everything else.

Thanks! That's perfect. I really misunderstood what it was all about but I get it now. I thought you optionally moved individual apps just like apps2sd. I might not actually bother just yet as the previous post suggests ext doesn't help but I'll bookmark this post as I'm getting low on space even with apps2sd. Especially if Swype keeps growing, it's at > 15mb now!

Guest Carbonize

I'm not using ext and my LauncherPro also has the freezing on reboot issue. I'm not using Windegtsoid but I am using Elixir so maybe that or Fancy Widget is causing the problem.

I'm not using ext and my LauncherPro also has the freezing on reboot issue. I'm not using Windegtsoid but I am using Elixir so maybe that or Fancy Widget is causing the problem.

It's probably the fancy widget as I recall same issue while using it.

Btw. I just had my phone back from a almost 3 months fixin' and I am not up to date with the recent changes to CM7. Which nighly or KANG would you recommend for a daily, stable use? Are there any major issues I should be aware of?

Guest sej7278

It's probably the fancy widget as I recall same issue while using it.

Btw. I just had my phone back from a almost 3 months fixin' and I am not up to date with the recent changes to CM7. Which nighly or KANG would you recommend for a daily, stable use? Are there any major issues I should be aware of?

not to be big-headed, but at the moment my n257+ kang is probably the best or burstlam's n256, as if you chose a regular nightly the camera preview is broken.

Edited by sej7278

Guest downloader50

not to be big-headed, but at the moment my n257+ kang is probably the best or burstlam's n256, as if you chose a regular nightly the camera preview is broken.

lol you are correct for CM but i have given up with it gone back to swedish spring because of battery life

Guest gomes29

Are you indoors? I once tried it outside to see how brighter light affects the calibration values (I must have been bored) and it didn't like calibrating in the brightness of sunlight.

I tried indoors, outdoors.... same thing! it just say "Something went wrong.Aborting" without even try the calibration..

Guest sej7278

I tried indoors, outdoors.... same thing! it just say "Something went wrong.Aborting" without even try the calibration..

i've given up, i tried the recommended values light in this thread and they're too dark indoors and not bright enough outdoors, i've tried the defaults and the default/calibrated proximity values and now i'm just sticking with full brightness and turning off autobrightness.

tom_g said at one point that the sensor usage involved in autobrightness probably offset the backlight savings anyway.