[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest snowbord

sick. Still, we need a solid working 7.2 without random brightness and what not bugs.

Also San Fran 2 support! :)

Edited by snowbord

Guest targetbsp

sick. Still, we need a solid working 7.2 without random brightness and what not bugs.

If you're using a nightly, the brightness is unchanged. If using a user compiled version, you just need to configure the auto brightness values for the new sensor readout. (that's not been done in CM itself yet)

Guest targetbsp

Check the most recent comments http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,9503 Unless I misunderstand, TomG is saying the new kernel sets the light sensor to behave the same as before the new GB kernel was added? But the new GB kernel behaved the same as the Froyo kernel. But I get the impression from posts here and my own quick try of it that this new kernel is the one that's different? I seemed able to use the new values by configuring the levels but they're miles different from all previous releases for me.

Guest downloader50

Never had that. Got the latest clockwork 5.0.2.0? When both the new clockwork and Rom Manager came out each had issues. You're obviously keeping your Rom Manager up to date but did you with clockwork itself?

I got this once after trying to restore a back up made in a newer version than one currently on the phone backup made with 5+ but after restore had 3+ version of rom manager on phone when i tried tor restore a back up made with 5+ it was a no go but as soon as i updated the rom manager all was ok again

Guest MidaMilunk

Did you rename the backup? If so, remove any spaces from the new name you gave it.

Sometimes I do, but never use whitespaces in name. Currently I kept the original names.

Guest MidaMilunk

Never had that. Got the latest clockwork 5.0.2.0? When both the new clockwork and Rom Manager came out each had issues. You're obviously keeping your Rom Manager up to date but did you with clockwork itself?

Yes, the current version is 5.0.2.0 which is the latest one according to ROM manager.

I do not know if it is relevant, or not, but I use not only CM ROMs, but the GSF, or Moldovan-Mile family as well.

Anyway, is it normal, thet ROM managers recovery functions only work if I use CM ROM? I mean that the recovery jobs, like backup can not be started from ROM manager, using MM-HMP f.e., it stops in the recovery menu. If it is started from CM-whatever, it jumps directly into the approppriate menu, and starts the backup, reboots,when finished!

Guest The Soup Thief

tom_g has ics running on the blade:

Lummee! Time to start a CM9 thread anyone? (I know this ain't through cyanogenmod, but it's in the post - you can nearly smell it!)

Yay tom_g! Out & out legend

Wish I could access youchoob from here - looking forward to seeing the blade's first faltering Ice-cream-sammichy steps when I get home :D

Guest eucurto

Good Morning!

When i activate AndroidAP it works well until the screen goes off/deep sleep. Then the client loses internet data but the wiFi connection is still active. When i press power button the client goes online again..

On GSF it wasn't like this iirc...

This happens to all of you?

Guest jackal-sk

1. Will the development of CM7 for Blade, which still has some bugs, cease to continue due to ICS -> CM9 ?

2. Are there any benefits from ICS for our Blade over 2.3.7 ? Wouldn't it be in fact a worse experience due to hardware limitations of the device ?

Guest targetbsp

1. Will the development of CM7 for Blade, which still has some bugs, cease to continue due to ICS -> CM9 ?

2. Are there any benefits from ICS for our Blade over 2.3.7 ? Wouldn't it be in fact a worse experience due to hardware limitations of the device ?

1. Don't know

2. Every OS update so far has made the phone faster than the previous OS. Unlike desktop OS's which get bigger and mroe demanding, Android seems to get more efficient.

ICS focuses a lot on GPU acceleration of the UI. If our GPU is supported featurewise by that acceleration then it should be a lot smoother an OS. The Blades GPU seems to far outclass the power of its CPU.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

I see the problem you guys are having with the brightness now. It's not just that the numbers have changed and you need to reconfigure it. The variance in the returned sensor value is so low between different brightnesses that you can't really configure it. Being in shadow in an otherwise brightly lit area is the same as being in pitch black for instance.

Guest sej7278

when checking out the ics branch of cyanogenmod from github, can we not just checkout the new stuff alongside the existing gingerbread, or do we have to pull the whole lot down again?

i've repo init'd ics and am repo syncing now but i'm seeing a lot of gingerbread (even froyo!) stuff coming down too.

is repo intelligent enough (or is there a flag) to sync only a particular branch?

i don't fancy looping through every git repo switching branches every time i do a build, but i wouldn't mind saving some disk/download when syncing.

edit: looking at the manifest and repo files downloaded so far, i think it is a case of downloading a completely separate tree, 2.5gb so far in 1h20m.....

edit 2: seems it far from a complete tree, came to 6.8gb but gets stuck at:

Fetching projects: 100% (223/223), done.  

error: revision refs/heads/ics in CyanogenMod/android_prebuilt not found

Edited by sej7278

The easiest way to do it I've found is using S2E. First of all you need to create an ext partition on your sdcard. ext3 seems to work with most stuff without giving problems. You can do this pretty easily using something like Parted Magic or I think there are Windows tools to do it as well. (You can use Parted Magic on a Windows machine as well if you burn it to cd then boot from that at startup.) I think you can also do it from Clockwork, but I've not used that so dunno the exact instructions. Once you've got your partition set up, start your phone up and open S2E. You can then choose what you want to move to the ext partition - I move apps, private apps, dalvik cache and download cache. I think as long as you don't move app data its usually ok (though you can if you want, just might make it unstable). Once you've done that, reboot and it should start to work. If you look in Titanium, you should see another bar appeared for "SD card (a2sd)" showing how much is being used. Once its working, you can just move the apps that are on your sd card fat32 partition back to the internal memory and they should get moved over to the ext partition with everything else.

What about buffer size?

Do you use buffer?If yes then what size?

Guest snowbord

Yes we want support for a phone that's not even out yet.

I'm not even going to go there but considering that the San Fran 2 is basically a San Fran 1 with most likely the same camera as the Finnish 5 megapixel San Francisco, along with the same (+200mhz) CPU as the San Fran 1, I'm hardly asking for much. A driver for the front facing camera is most likely all that is significantly different.

Please don't go picking fights or start with the schoolboy sarcasm. I am not interested and you will only get ignored from now on for such conduct.

I am certain the entire community is interested in getting CM7 on the San Fran 2 which is due any day, so your comment on the phone not being out yet is retarded. Nobody is keen on speculating if and when ICS will run on it and being stuck with a phone which can't even run CM7.

Edited by snowbord

Guest Carbonize

Actually, from what I have seen, it's more like a Skate than a Blade but with a smaller screen. And my comment was valid. Until the devs get hold of the device there will be no work done on it and even if a dev does get one unless there are enough users with one they are not going to go out of their way to make CM compatible with it.

Guest gomes29

You have to calibrate the sensor in under settings -> device settings.

hi, I recently flashed the latest sej build (n257+) but my proximity sensor is broken. I did 'restore proximity defaults' then reboot and when I'm going to calibrate the proximity sensor it gives an error like 'something went wrong.Aborting'... I read something about manually change the proximity values but I dont really know for what values I need to change... someone help me pls

I already do that and I cant calibrate because it gives an error!

yes, i think i'll be taking a backup of the old (current) kernel or the patch1, in case this new patch3 gets merged. the new 5mp camera support means nothing to me.

i'm trying to figure out which github code we're using in the current nightlies, i guess its this one from gerrit (build lights lib from source) from oct 8th, which i suspect ties in with this one from github (led's/smartass2) which is before all the new camera/taos code.

edit: yes that's the github commit for the current kernel based on the extracted config:

./extract-ikconfig nightly_kernel |grep Oct

# Sat Oct  8 13:05:39 2011
this github commit is patch1 from gerrit:
 ./extract-ikconfig patch1_kernel |grep Oct

# Wed Oct 26 20:41:46 2011

Didn't take a backup before updating so I'm rebuilding with the current kernel. Just had to remember to use the old liboemcamera.so in props too. Hope the kernel in testing gets still another patchset and goes through at some point so all the people with the new camera won't miss all the fun!

edit: Thanks for the youtube clip btw.. it's so close, but still so far away :P

Edited by sm4tik

Guest sej7278

Didn't take a backup before updating so I'm rebuilding with the current kernel. Just had to remember to use the old liboemcamera.so in props too. Hope the kernel in testing gets still another patchset and goes through at some point so all the people with the new camera won't miss all the fun!

yes i'd prefer the new kernel was just the camera from patch1 plus the touchscreen/zram from patch2 but not the proximity from patches 2/3 lol !

i think you can use the new liboemcamera.so even with older kernels, it just won't work on new phones without the new kernel. the proprietary libs always seem to be backwards-compatible, you just keep using the latest ones jacob gets ripped from the latest phones.

dude, this it git, you don't need backups :D

edit: youtube clip was from tom_g's twitter, he says it took over an hour to compile (dunno what spec pc).

Edited by sej7278

yes i'd prefer the new kernel was just the camera from patch1 plus the touchscreen/zram from patch2 but not the proximity from patches 2/3 lol !

i think you can use the new liboemcamera.so even with older kernels, it just won't work on new phones without the new kernel. the proprietary libs always seem to be backwards-compatible, you just keep using the latest ones jacob gets ripped from the latest phones.

dude, this it git, you don't need backups :D

edit: youtube clip was from tom_g's twitter, he says it took over an hour to compile (dunno what spec pc).

I'll test the new lib with some time later, I reverted it just in case. When will I learn to take a nandroid of a stable build.. WHEN?! Anyways, light sensor's back to normal with the current kernel so I'll stick with it, I've just gotten too used to auto-brightness I guess.. :huh:

Guest hedgepigdaniel

1. Don't know

2. Every OS update so far has made the phone faster than the previous OS. Unlike desktop OS's which get bigger and mroe demanding, Android seems to get more efficient.

ICS focuses a lot on GPU acceleration of the UI. If our GPU is supported featurewise by that acceleration then it should be a lot smoother an OS. The Blades GPU seems to far outclass the power of its CPU.

1. If CM6 is any guide, the code and review systems will all stay up but people will rapidly lose interest, and the buildbot will stop doing automatic builds (I gather assembling enough coordinated computing power to do the builds for so many devices is becoming a challenge, so doing two branches would be a huge trek). So I'd say there will be minimal development after CM7.2 comes out, which is definitely happening I hear.

2. From looking at that video TomG posted (ignoring the very long freezes and assorted problems) many animations are more fluid and smooth than any current ROM I've seen. I'm pretty hopeful about this.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Hey people. been away for a while. I cba to scroll through the walls of text so, what is the most stable nightly atm?

Thanks.

the latest one is fine I think

Guest Tiny Jacky

I would like to know what is the source of kernel used in the ROM?It is completely built from developers or it is based on the source code released by zte, or others?

I would also like to know how long is the battery life when compared to stock roms

And is the current nightly rom stable enough for everyday use? It would be great if there is a place that I can see the current known issues too: )

Thanks for watching: )