[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sej7278
i agree. can i make a suggesting for the sensible people trying to resolve these issues.

state in each and every one of your posts that you are NOT overclocking.

if you do that then the assumption is that you are in fact doing it. and then your bug report can be rightfully IGNORED.

TFT/N36/boot.img98d76/NOT OVERCLOCKING

EXACTLY - people reporting bugs without retesting at stock speeds first is just not helpful, its worse than not bothering to wipe.

the overclock "feature" needs to be tested itself, but don't report overheating problems with the gps/sleep if you're running at 700mhz+ ffs!

Guest JolyonS
Do most people here just automatically overclock as soon as the ROM has been flashed?... it's madness I tell you. Madness.

Seems very odd to me to overclock a phone - bit like sharpening a screwdriver.

Guest ufoman
Seems very odd to me to overclock a phone - bit like sharpening a screwdriver.

OC on a phone with a CPU never meant to drive a WVGA screen? Perfectly reasonable for me...

Guest gwebb
OC on a phone with a CPU never meant to drive a WVGA screen? Perfectly reasonable for me...

It is reasonable to overclock, but it doesn't help beta testing. Is it a bug or the poor MSM7227 collapsing from heat stroke?

Guest The Soup Thief
Hmmm. After a quick search, I located this thread on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739530

Looks like a tool which should (in theory at least) toggle 3G/2G with screen off/on.

Unfortunately, I'm heading out shortly for a curry followed by a night of boozy bowling so don't have time to try it out myself! B)

If anybody tries it on the Blade, let us know if it works.

Edit: Hmmm, interesting comment on this page:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.m...e=search_result

Excellent! Thanks very much for this - seems to do the trick (though note, it flicks 3g off 2 or more mins after screen off, so you won't know it's working unless you're patient!) Power savings ahoy :D

Guest ufoman
It is reasonable to overclock, but it doesn't help beta testing. Is it a bug or the poor MSM7227 collapsing from heat stroke?

This one (the GPS shutdown) is definitely a bug - try activating WiFi tethering and connecting the phone to a wall charger - it gets really hot, but doesn't reboot or anything...

Guest targetbsp
The OC feature should be disabled until we get a stable release.

That'd be pretty short sighted. I would think that for the most part there's a large cross-over between the type of person wanting to run cutting edge pre-release software and the type of person that wants their hardware running as fast as possible. You'd alienate a large chunk of your user base doing that. Don't forget that some of us know how to overclock. But as a concession to the anti-overclocking crowd here's my tip of the day for for overclocking noobs - if you're phone is stable 99.9% of the time at your overclock then it's not stable - clock it lower. And obviously if your issue is the phone crashing in some manner then try it at stock clock speed first. Obviously the broken OC in N36 was something of an exception to this rule as it was the overclocking code itself at fault! But in general... it applies. :D

Personally I think those opposed to overclocking are as crazy for not wanting free performance as you think we are for overclocking. You guys realise it's not 10 years ago right? Modern computing hardware overclocks itself - it's that popular a practice. Intels latest CPU's do and my new graphics card as a tick box to overclock itself.

Guest hugobosslives
Hmmm. After a quick search, I located this thread on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739530

Looks like a tool which should (in theory at least) toggle 3G/2G with screen off/on.

Unfortunately, I'm heading out shortly for a curry followed by a night of boozy bowling so don't have time to try it out myself! :D

If anybody tries it on the Blade, let us know if it works.

Edit: Hmmm, interesting comment on this page:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.m...e=search_result

thanks this looks awesome, i will check it out and report back.

also, rotmann, as others have sed, i can't find the automatic change to 2g when screen if off function..... apart from that, great app. [EDIT: for automateit]

The OC feature should be disabled until we get a stable release.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! just cos you people don't understand android! if you've having problems with OCing then fine turn yours off. but FFS don't make us have to suffer when our OC is working perfectly. IM on n35 at 729mhz and i've never had a reboot (i havn't used gps) that i havn't done on purpose with the reboot app.

That'd be pretty short sighted. I would think that for the most part there's a large cross-over between the type of person wanting to run cutting edge pre-release software and the type of person that wants their hardware running as fast as possible. You'd alienate a large chunk of your user base doing that. Don't forget that some of us know how to overclock. But as a concession to the anti-overclocking crowd here's my tip of the day for for overclocking noobs - if you're phone is stable 99.9% of the time at your overclock then it's not stable - clock it lower. And obviously if your issue is the phone crashing in some manner then try it at stock clock speed first. Obviously the broken OC in N36 was something of an exception to this rule as it was the overclocking code itself at fault! But in general... it applies. B)

Personally I think those opposed to overclocking are as crazy for not wanting free performance as you think we are for overclocking. You guys realise it's not 10 years ago right? Modern computing hardware overclocks itself - it's that popular a practice. Intels latest CPU's do and my new graphics card as a tick box to overclock itself.

+ 1

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest Coyote74
Excellent! Thanks very much for this - seems to do the trick (though note, it flicks 3g off 2 or more mins after screen off, so you won't know it's working unless you're patient!) Power savings ahoy :D

Ok, it shuts down 3g after screen off, but if i need to keep 3g working during a download what happens? If the the screen goes off, the G3 shuts down and stops download. If it's so, it's useless.

Guest hugobosslives
Ok, it shuts down 3g after screen off, but if i need to keep 3g working during a download what happens? If the the screen goes off, the G3 shuts down and stops download. If it's so, it's useless.

I think the app realises this and doesn't turn the 3g off if its active [well, i think the XDA page sed something like that, i can't be arsed to read it, but you can.... B)

even if it does..... set it to only turn 3g off after 15 mins or so, after the screen goes off or something. :D

Guest JolyonS

Well, it drives the screen fine so that's not reason in itself.

I accept it's a smartphone so it will have a variable usage profile - I certainly don't make phone calls on mine for example - but still I'm surprised by the sheer number of people who jump at the overclocking option on what is inherently a low (electrical) power rather than a high (computing) power device.

I wouldn't suggest for a moment removing the option but I am very much in agreement with those who are frustrated at 'bugs' being reported on overclocked devices as this is (or certainly might plausibly be) polluting the investigation a bit - I'm not going to bother trying to reproduce an effect if that's one of the possible causes.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

I try to ask my question here cause nobody seams to have this problem.

When I receive an SMS or Email, my screen doesn't turn on, it's normal ?

I mean, on other rom (SS RLS4 for example) the screen wake up when I have a notification.

There's an hidden option ?

Thanks.

Guest hugobosslives
I try to ask my question here cause nobody seams to have this problem.

When I receive an SMS or Email, my screen doesn't turn on, it's normal ?

I mean, on other rom (SS RLS4 for example) the screen wake up when I have a notification.

There's an hidden option ?

Thanks.

yes, its normal.

no, havn't seen an option to change this.

Guest JolyonS

You could argue that whatever something does out of the box is not *over* clocking.

But regardless of that it's not 'free' performance (and the price is paid in one of the scarcer smartphone commodities) and nor is it, in most of the plausible usage scenarios of the device *necessary* performance.

I can well see why someone wanting to play games would appreciate the extra cycles - although I'd question the suitability of the device for this task in the first place - but beyond that it's hard to pick something these machines do badly for lack of processing power.

But that's not the issue in terms of this thread - the problem is a really obvious potential cause for problems not being reliably ruled out by the people reporting them.

Guest CaptainSpectacular
yes, its normal.

no, havn't seen an option to change this.

Thanks to you.

I'm the only one who use the default SMS app or everybody have Hendsent or other app ? :D

Guest targetbsp
I can well see why someone wanting to play games would appreciate the extra cycles - although I'd question the suitability of the device for this task in the first place

I have 26 games on this thing. Most of them paid - one of them $15! It's a great gaming device :D

Guest JolyonS
I have 26 games on this thing. Most of them paid - one of them $15! It's a great gaming device :D

Don't you find the battery life a bit ... pathetic?

(Apologies folks for going off topic - will stop this now).

Edited by JolyonS

Guest hugobosslives
Thanks to you.

I'm the only one who use the default SMS app or everybody have Hendsent or other app ? :P

no, i use the default sms app. i cant be arsed to get another one. can't see the point as i don't need any extra features.

I have 26 games on this thing. Most of them paid - one of them $15! It's a great gaming device :)

same, tho maybe a few more :) haha, tho what game did you pay 15 quid for! [EDIT: and +1 i agree, its an awesome gaming device these days!]

Don't you find the battery life a bit ... pathetic?

answer: no

i play games for about an hour and half each day (plus loads of other stuff like music and web browsing) with the right management of your device [using apps to control things like switching to 2g data when screen is off etc] you can make cm7 last about 2 days even with moderatly heavy usage (including overclock to 729mhz!)

i'm very happy with battery life these days :)

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest LordKickapoo
I think the app realises this and doesn't turn the 3g off if its active [well, i think the XDA page sed something like that, i can't be arsed to read it, but you can.... :)

even if it does..... set it to only turn 3g off after 15 mins or so, after the screen goes off or something. :)

It has option to force using 3G if desired network activity is going on....You can set amount of data in kb at settings.

I have been using 2G toggle and plugin in JJ, SS, and CM7 and it has always done the trick...Well actually i havent test forced 3G when downloading something, but it should work :)

Guest shaun-mahony

hi, ive installed other roms succeslfully, but having tried several 2.3 roms they all crashed during installation. I am certain my device is gen 1, and i am downloading the gen 1 roms. but it wont seem to work,

any suggestions would be great thanks

Guest shaun-mahony

sorry i know this post is old, and i know this is has nothing to do with what you are talking about, but i really need your help! please? ive installed other roms succeslfully, but having tried several 2.3 roms they all crashed during installation. I am certain my device is gen 1, and i am downloading the gen 1 roms. but it wont seem to work, (and this is all on the ZTE blade obviously)

any suggestions would be great thanks

Guest targetbsp
haha, tho what game did you pay 15 quid for!

Spectral Souls: http://www.appbrain.com/app/spectral-souls...x.spectralsouls

It's a PSP port weighing in at over 1gb :) It's a turn based squad tactics game slated on the PSP for poor loading times but it doesn't have that problem in it's Android incarnation. I love turn based games and they naturally lend themselves to a touchscreen which is probably why I like it.