[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Chris Banks

I've only used it so far as setting the rom up. Restoring backups, texts etc. It seemed to have all the features I need and be bug free though. But I've not actually used it as such, and to try and do so right now would ruin my testing. :D

I first tried GSF with its undervolt kernel but I didn't get on with it. A couple of bugs and missing features annoyed me. This rom seems to have none of the issues I had with GSF.

No, I'm purely testing the difference in standby between the different voltages of the CPU when idle as a traditional call/text phone.

This kernel also supplies a lower voltage to the wifi so at the end of the week I'm going to compare the 2 kernels with the wifi on.

I look forward to seeing the results of your little experiment :)

I too have been very tempted to make the jump when I get some time.

Guest targetbsp

Yep, my phone is clocked to 729mhz

The undervolting only kicks in at 480mhz or less so it theoretically saves power when the phone is idle without affecting in use performance.

32 hours, 94% atm!

Guest jackal-sk

No, I'm purely testing the difference in standby between the different voltages of the CPU when idle as a traditional call/text phone.

This kernel also supplies a lower voltage to the wifi so at the end of the week I'm going to compare the 2 kernels with the wifi on.

Sorry I think I don't understand, you have Google Sync ON + 2G Data ON - which means the phone syncs now and then and you have 96% after 24 hours ?

Guest jurrasstoil

Yep, my phone is clocked to 729mhz

The undervolting only kicks in at 480mhz or less so it theoretically saves power when the phone is idle without affecting in use performance.

32 hours, 94% atm!

How big is the differnce between undervolted and normal? If it's anything like desktop processors then undervolting in idle won't save a ton of power. Usually it's in the lower single digit range.

Guest targetbsp

I don't know yet. I seem to recall 8% usage throughout a daytime period so it seems better but I will test for sure over the next few days.

I think it'll depend on what else is using power.

When you're overclocking I've always argued that will barely use anymore power because at the point the higher CPU speeds are being used many other things are also using a lot of power: the screen, speakers, wifi etc.

In the case of the phone being idle I'm not sure what is using power beyond the radio hardware and the cpu at low frequency? If just that then reduced power usage of the CPU could potentially be fairly significant.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest jackal-sk

Ah ok, now it makes sense. So basically the battery duration should be the same GSM only vs. GSM + 2g unless there are no data transfered. 

Edited by jackal-sk

Guest targetbsp

Ah ok, now it makes sense. So basically the battery duration should be the same GSM only vs. GSM + 2g unless there are no data transfered.

I am basically comparing the battery consumed by the phone idle process at stock and under voltage to see if it makes a noticeable increase in standby time.

[edit]

Having read your other thread, I now understand what you're asking and why you think I'm testing something I'm not. I think your terminology is a little off. :) 2g does not imply data.

Edited by targetbsp

I'm trying out the Moldovan rom atm. The dev said in his thread (replying to someone else) that swapping in the kernel wouldn't work.

The rom is on 99% battery after 14 hours standby on 2g.

I'm all setup to compile roms but not kernels unfortunately so I shall be awaiting burstlam. :)

Here's a guide from sej to build a kernel for cm7. I had to change the 'make' line to use an absolute path instead of ~ to compile. Here's what I use now to make it compile.

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/full/path/to/cm7/source/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-

I copy only the freshly built modules that also exist in cm7source/device/zte/blade/prebuilt. (lzo_compress.ko,lzo_decompress.ko,zram.ko,cifs.ko).

edit: Seems a bit tricky to get the undervolt thingy merged to the current kernel as all the uv changes are in turies branch. Not sure it will apply cleanly if auto-merged and I don't have the knowledge to even try :)

Edited by sm4tik

Guest sej7278

Here's a guide from sej to build a kernel for cm7. I had to change the 'make' line to use an absolute path instead of ~ to compile. Here's what I use now to make it compile.

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/full/path/to/cm7/source/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-

I copy only the freshly built modules that also exist in cm7source/device/zte/blade/prebuilt. (lzo_compress.ko,lzo_decompress.ko,zram.ko,cifs.ko).

edit: Seems a bit tricky to get the undervolt thingy merged to the current kernel as all the uv changes are in turies branch. Not sure it will apply cleanly if auto-merged and I don't have the knowledge to even try :)

seems like you could even apply this patch manually (i.e. copy'n'paste in a text editor) by just changing ~/kernel_zte_blade/arch/arm/mach-msm/acpuclock.c from line 202 to 262 and rebuild the kernel, not just modules - that's pointless, its the zImage file you want not modules. it doesn't apply as a diff/patch.

Guest sej7278

122MHz is underclock not undervolt. Undervolt is a lover voltage for procesor in low frequency that may consume low power.

i'll have a build up within the hour if it works. i've hand-merged the patch and am building the kernel to merge into cm7 now.

see if you agree with the modified acpuclock.c (unzip it first, blooming upload filters!)

well it compiled....

acpuclock.c.zip

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

this undervolt you are talking about is the 122Mhz frequency? if it is, CM7 has it...

It reduces the CPU's voltage when the CPU is at 480mhz or below. So that when the CPU is not doing much, it uses even less power than previously. It also reduces the wifi chips voltage but I've yet to test that.

[edit]

meh. Missed the next page. Simono beat me to it. :D

[edit2]

And... go Sej! :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest sej7278

thaks guys! then, please, underVolt on CM7 4 the win!!!

well here's my attempt at applying the turies undervolt patch manually to the blade kernel.

i've not tested it works as it should (how would you do that?!) but it boots ok. make a nandroid backup first eh? :D

usual patches like softbuttons and miui-battery etc; plus whatever merges we've had up to today.

usual place

md5sum: be02b9d4321bbb7c4967b157a661f26c update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-Blade-KANG-18jan-signed.zip

Guest KonstaT

seems like you could even apply this patch manually (i.e. copy'n'paste in a text editor) by just changing ~/kernel_zte_blade/arch/arm/mach-msm/acpuclock.c from line 202 to 262 and rebuild the kernel, not just modules - that's pointless, its the zImage file you want not modules. it doesn't apply as a diff/patch.

That'll work. Burstlam has already included that CPU undervolting patch into his source. Also the wifi adapter undervolting is already included. Burstlam's source has more tweaks than official CM7 source and it might give a bit more powerful kernel. You can also find a config that you can use to compile. ;)

Just built it and tested it as far as it boots and everything seems to work ok. Rather not release it because it's none of my work. I'm sure burstlam will release another KANG eventually.

Guest sej7278

That'll work. Burstlam has already included that CPU undervolting patch into his source. Also the wifi adapter undervolting is already included. Burstlam's source has more tweaks than official CM7 source and it might give a bit more powerful kernel. You can also find a config that you can use to compile. ;)

Just built it and tested it as far as it boots and everything seems to work ok. Rather not release it because it's none of my work. I'm sure burstlam will release another KANG eventually.

burstlams's stuff is for turies though it seems, or has he done a kang for blade?

sorry i didn't realise it was from bustlam and not you. what's this wifi underclocking then?