[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest hankhandsome

so with this undervolted kernel and wifi, do i even need to bother with the cpu governor ?

will it naturally consume less power overall or mainly while in idle ?. that's my main aim really, to just get more out of the battery - not interested in overclocking

Guest targetbsp

The CPU governor determines at what speed the CPU runs at depending upon its load. Undervolting merely reduces the power used when the CPU speed is low. You still need the governor to actually set the CPU speed as needed. And bothering with it or not, you can't actually not have one. If you'd never set it before, it will still be using the default one chosen by the rom developer.

As it saves power when the CPU is at low speed, it will mostly be saving power when it is not in use. But it will also save power during tasks that are not CPU intensive.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest hankhandsome

The CPU governor determines at what speed the CPU runs at depending upon its load. Undervolting merely reduces the power used when the CPU speed is low. You still need the governor to actually set the CPU speed as needed. And bothering with it or not, you can't actually not have one. If you'd never set it before, it will still be using the default one chosen by the rom developer.

As it saves power when the CPU is at low speed, it will mostly be saving power when it is not in use. But it will also save power during tasks that are not CPU intensive.

Thankyou for that, i'll make sure to set it then. Clears it up nicely!

Guest Martin_cz

lol, good answer! :D does it work with regular calls or is it just skype and other voip clients? what app do you use?

anyway, here's my build with the cpu/wifi undervolting and 2-way-recording kernel, as well as the usual miui battery bar and softbuttons.

usual place (can someone mirror please?)

md5sum: c5e601cb3cf799eb1bbc9cd0f3605040 update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-Blade-KANG-21jan-signed.zip

Thaaanks so much. PERFECT ROM for me have been just created. 2-way-recording was the last thing I missed.

Guest thewild

I installed sej's latest ROM yesterday... Went to bed last night with 21%, and woke up in the morning to find still 21%. Can't ask for better than that!

I installed 18jan3 yesterday (didn't see the 21jan, but what are the differences between them ? ), went to bed with 86% and woke up with 85%.

Wifi Off, data and 3G on (but toggle 2G was running and should have turned it off).

That's juste perfect !

I tried other ROMS before (MMHMP and Swedish Snow), but they were lacking a lot of very useful CM7 features.

Thanks a lot !

Guest sej7278

I installed sej's latest ROM yesterday... Went to bed last night with 21%, and woke up in the morning to find still 21%. Can't ask for better than that!

i was also getting zero usage (set minimum to 122mhz too) until i missed an sms and the fscking led notification ate 1% of my battery per hour.

does anyone know how to turn them off? if i set this....

settings > cyanogenmod settings > interface > led notifications > unconfigured > edit category settings > led mode > force led off > save

....it seems to add a miscellaneous category, which i've also set to force led off, will that do it? it seems to have for a missed call at least.

i can't believe people wanted led notifications so much.

the difference between 18jan3 and 21jan is just the call recording, they both have cpu/wifi undervolting.

Edited by sej7278

Guest SpeRator

I installed 18jan3 yesterday (didn't see the 21jan, but what are the differences between them ? ), went to bed with 86% and woke up with 85%.

Wifi Off, data and 3G on (but toggle 2G was running and should have turned it off).

That's juste perfect !

I tried other ROMS before (MMHMP and Swedish Snow), but they were lacking a lot of very useful CM7 features.

Thanks a lot !

Whats your configuration in toggle 2G? It doesnt work by me. It dont turn off 3G in sleep-mode.

Guest targetbsp

i can't believe people wanted led notifications so much.

I find it far more useful to know I've missed a call than save a couple of percent battery - considering it only drains when it needs to. I don't often go too long without checking the LED such that it would have a massive effect on my battery.

But yes, the setting you've played with should do it - though I've never tried turning it off! I have used that to change the colour though.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest snowbord

And according to my logs, 332 people downloaded the kernel alone in a day. We're still going strong around here. :)

I'm certain there's lots of lurkers around, like yours truly. :) Been using nightly 220+ with soft buttons. How is the latest nightly compared to this?

I'm currently giving Moldovan V9 a go, with the undervolt kernel. Is CM7 comparable in terms of battery life?

Edited by snowbord

Guest Sulthekk

Who's going to sweet talk johnsmithx to release his code? :)

He cleanly told that he isn't going to release it, and looks like he doesn't mind violating gpl. He didn't even answered when i asked him about releasing the source to TomG, so i guess he totally let us alone with his binaries...

Guest sej7278

He cleanly told that he isn't going to release it, and looks like he doesn't mind violating gpl. He didn't even answered when i asked him about releasing the source to TomG, so i guess he totally let us alone with his binaries...

looking at kallt_kaffe's device and kernel github projects, what is needed is:

create cm7/device/zte/blade/system.prop with the following line:

ro.additionalmounts=/mnt/usbdisk
add this line to cm7/device/zte/blade/vold.fstab:
dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb
add these lines to kernel_zte_blade/arch/arm/configs/cyanogen_blade_defconfig:

CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y

CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y

CONFIG_SERIO=y

CONFIG_SERIO_LIBPS2=y

CONFIG_USB=y

CONFIG_USB_ANNOUNCE_NEW_DEVICES=y

CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y

CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT=y

CONFIG_USB_EHCI_MSM=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y

CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y

CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="utf8"

CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y

CONFIG_USB_OTG=y

remove these lines from kernel_zte_blade/arch/arm/configs/cyanogen_blade_defconfig:

CONFIG_USB_GADGET_DEBUG_FILES=y

CONFIG_USB_GADGET_DEBUG_FS=y

CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"

the hardest thing to patch would be kernel_zte_blade/drivers/usb/otg/msm72k_otg.c

Edited by sej7278

Guest ejhollin

Can anything be done with the just the binaries? I tried to CWM patch a CM7 KANG version with his zip file, but it seemed to break my wifi. (I'm not sure that's how the zip file was supposed to be used).

Edited by ejhollin

Guest sej7278

Can anything be done with the just the binaries? I tried to CWM patch a CM7 KANG version with his zip file, but it seemed to break my wifi. (I'm not sure that's how the zip file was supposed to be used).

not the whole thing but you could get the kernel config off at least i guess, which would help.

syzmko1995 - as far as a vanilla cm7 goes with undervolting, no there isn't one as the patches haven't been accepted into the cm7 tree and there have been no nightlies for months.

my 21jan kang has miui-like battery bar and softbuttons, both of which are disabled by default unless you specifically chose them over the defaults. 2-way recording is enabled in the kernel but without an app you wouldn't notice it. it doesn't contain any gapps, i don't believe in bundling them. so its probably as near to vanilla cm 7.2 as you will get (with undervolting).

Edited by sej7278

i was also getting zero usage (set minimum to 122mhz too) until i missed an sms and the fscking led notification ate 1% of my battery per hour.

does anyone know how to turn them off? if i set this....

You can user quite hours, option in CM to switch it off for a night. I set it from 22:00 to 6:00