[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest jackal-sk

jackal-sk: as far as recording calls and checking if undervolting works, they're both answered a page or two back too.

I know, and the answer was "you just have to have faith", which is not exactly what I'm looking for :P

Guest targetbsp

I know, and the answer was "you just have to have faith", which is not exactly what I'm looking for :P

There's no dedicated diagnostic hardware that I know of (I don't think you can even check the CPU temp can you?)

If you're a programmer you can read the source code but again you'd have to have faith that the chipset actually respects having its voltage controlled in software rather than it being fixed in hardware.

if you're an electrical engineer, maybe you could measure the voltage somewhere.

You could test the battery drain over time between the 2 kernels but you'd have to create identical test conditions for several days - and also trust the accuracy of the battery gauge. This is what i attempted to do but someone kept phoning me during my test of the normal voltage kernel and ruining it so I gave up.

In short, what you're looking for (a quick check of the voltage) doesn't exist. :) The way i see it is it either works or it doesn't. if it doesn't, I haven't lost anything, if it does my battery will last longer. No downsides!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

Thx targetbsp. You are right, no downsides... I don't like not knowing things but it can't be helped in this case.

Incidentally, as of last night, I have proven to my own satisfaction that the CM7 UV kernel drains battery in 2g standby (no data) at the same rate as my earlier test of the MMHMP UV kernel over 2 consecutive days each. What I haven;t managed to test is how much better (if at all) that drain is than the stock kernel without someone phoning or texting me and invalidating the test. :D

I am currently testing the low voltage wifi in idle because that will drain the battery faster anyway and let me carry out shorter (less likely to be interrupted tests!). This is actually irrelevant for me as I tend to have the wifi going off with the screen but maybe it will be useful for someone. Or at least maybe (hopefully??) prove that one of these voltage changes has a real world effect?

...someone kept phoning me during my test of the normal voltage kernel and ruining it so I gave up....

well, thats bad, why did somebody call you on the phone... oh, because its a phone ;)

just a joke ;)

I've also tested the 18jan3 ROM, but can't find really longer battery life. From about 20th Dec till 19th Jan I've tested the alpha5 Version of ICS and the battery drain was very very good. I think I got about double time with normal usage.

Guest targetbsp

well, thats bad, why did somebody call you on the phone... oh, because its a phone ;)

just a joke ;)

It's so not, it's my toy for playing with OS tweaks on. :D In their defense, they apparently thought I was dead as they'd accidentally left a fire hazard they were trying to warn me about and I was doing my best to ignore my phone lol.

In short, what you're looking for (a quick check of the voltage) doesn't exist. :) The way i see it is it either works or it doesn't. if it doesn't, I haven't lost anything, if it does my battery will last longer. No downsides!

Spare Parts / Battery information displays the battery voltage, so it must be possible to extract it from somewhere, somehow..? (Would love to help, but my programming stopped with Turbo Pascal 6 and now only works with C in PICs. Object-oriented stuff no speaky here :))

Spare Parts / Battery information displays the battery voltage, so it must be possible to extract it from somewhere, somehow..? (Would love to help, but my programming stopped with Turbo Pascal 6 and now only works with C in PICs. Object-oriented stuff no speaky here :))

we are talking about CPU Voltage

Guest hankhandsome

i've never used moldovan, but i find the battery drain on the latest kang with the UV WiFi and Kernel absolutely outstanding. Bear in mind i've also removed a lot of apps like voice dialler e.t.c.. that i don't use so i've stripped the rom down fairly severely.

still, had winamp playing for a good hour this morning and for the first 20 odd minutes i didn't lose a single percentage point on the battery :)

Edited by hankhandsome

Guest Davidoff59

Burgerz, on your rom, after waking the phone up from sleep, the screen icons sometimes don't reappear so its not possible to use the phone until a reboot is done. Even clicking the home button to switch to a 2nd launcher doesn't work.

Bizar! With the roms 18 jan3 and 21jan the battery have lost each night approx. 40%. With CM 7.1.0 and similar settings less than 5%. I have a Gen1 with Oled screen and TPT to Gen2.

Guest MidaMilunk

Bizar! With the roms 18 jan3 and 21jan the battery have lost each night approx. 40%. With CM 7.1.0 and similar settings less than 5%. I have a Gen1 with Oled screen and TPT to Gen2.

Really strange. Mine usually lost 0% in airplane mode, and 1-2 in normal (no data, no wifi, just GSM). The current undervolting stuff works fine for me, using wifi and 2G (normal usage, a few messages, 5-6 minutes of internet usage, 10-15 minutes of some game, 3-4 calls, 10-20 minutess alltogether) all day uses some 50% per day - actually working day, but after it, I turn off mobile data, and WiFi only use battery when display is on (well, it still use some for a while after display gone off, but always turn off eventually).

Pretty sure that some app keeps your phone awake. Check this with BetterBatteryStat!

Guest BurgerZ

Burgerz, on your rom, after waking the phone up from sleep, the screen icons sometimes don't reappear so its not possible to use the phone until a reboot is done. Even clicking the home button to switch to a 2nd launcher doesn't work.

What launcher do u use?

My favourite launcher was ADW.EX untill I've burned my Blade with experiments with USB Host... And I had no problems with my ROMs.

Guest MidaMilunk

Didi anyone realized, that notification sometimes crashes? If I swipe-clean a note, but stop somewhere half way out, the whole notification area will be "readonly". It refreshes well, but no way to touch the "Clear" button, or swipe-clean any notification!

Killing Notification does not help, since it does not start again.

I have seen this with the 21jan version, and earlier using a hungarian daily - back from 10th of january, or similar - build as well.

Didi anyone realized, that notification sometimes crashes? If I swipe-clean a note, but stop somewhere half way out, the whole notification area will be "readonly". It refreshes well, but no way to touch the "Clear" button, or swipe-clean any notification!

Killing Notification does not help, since it does not start again.

I have seen this with the 21jan version, and earlier using a hungarian daily - back from 10th of january, or similar - build as well.

Sounds like this is the case you're talking about. So it should be fixed once another build is done.

Guest shmizan

anyone else getting this? after going from 220+ to the latest KANG, when restoring games with titanium backup they run really really slow? full wipe.

edit: even when not restoring with titanium backup.. just installing games from the market. they run really slow.. is there a new setting or something? 

Edited by shmizan

Guest targetbsp

anyone else getting this? after going from 220+ to the latest KANG, when restoring games with titanium backup they run really really slow? full wipe.

if you did a full wipe... did you reboot after the first boot? You need to or stuff is slow.

Also, a bit late now - but for future use, a full wipe isn't needed when upgrading from one CM7 version to another. :)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest shmizan

if you did a full wipe... did you reboot after the first boot? You need to or stuff is slow.

Also, a bit late now - but for future use, a full wipe isn't needed when upgrading from one CM7 version to another. :)

yeah I rebooted.. a few times too.

anything else comes in mind? tried a few installs already.. same slowness..

Guest targetbsp

Dunno. Works for me. I'm a gamer! :D Tried using a task manager that shows cpu occupancy to see if something is running badly in the background?

Edited by targetbsp