[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sej7278

- Undervoltage: kernel and wi-fi (thanks wbaw, burstlam) with some improvements.

- 2-way call record support (with third party app)

- added camera, sensors and touch drivers (for new v880)

- xz compressing method instead of gzip for speed and size improvement

- optimization while compile

- .... and much more...

i'm not convinced about lzma2 being faster than gzip, definitely smaller but i doubt faster - for decompression which applies here not compression.

what compile-time optimisations etc are you using?

otherwise the same kernel patches as in my sig i guess (wbaw, burstlam, jacob applied to tom_g).

the "some improvements" being porting them to the blade instead of the turies like i did, i assume?

i'm using the oct31 defconfig ripped from the kernel blob in gerrit, which just turns off zram_debug otherwise the same as the published oct26 on github

i've not heard of those governors, but smartass2 is already merged into the nightlies.

Edited by sej7278

Guest BurgerZ

i'm not convinced about lzma2 being faster than gzip, definitely smaller but i doubt faster - for decompression which applies here not compression.

what compile-time optimisations etc are you using?

otherwise the same kernel patches as in my sig i guess (wbaw, burstlam, jacob applied to tom_g).

gzip is slow, but XZ compression - It's faster than others, just try it.

Edited by BurgerZ

Guest BurgerZ

otherwise the same kernel patches as in my sig i guess (wbaw, burstlam, jacob applied to tom_g's oct31 defconfig).

No. The only thing is equal to yours is vocpcm.c (form code.google.com). UV table - differ.

I don't use any repos to compile the kernel. Once downloaded the source code for 2.6.35-7.. I use it till nowadays))

Guest sej7278

gzip is slow, but XZ compression - It's faster than others, just try it.

that's very odd, gzip is 2-3x faster to decompress and 3-4x faster to compress than XZ in all benchmarks i've seen. i don't see how it could be faster in a rom. smaller yes.

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

I read so many positive reaction on that undervolting cpu thing, that I have to try it out myself.

I didn't make any tests, but after using it some days, I can't say I got more battery life.

On the contrary, when I set my Blade to only use GSM (2G), my battery was depleted within hours without any use. I don't see any connection between 2G and cpu - undervolting, but somehow it influences it.

Another thought:

The cpu will need a amount of power to run at a certain clockspeed. If you lower the voltage, the cpu will draw more current to get the same power.

At the end you won't get any benefit, because the cpu needs the same amount of power.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend that undervolting thing to anyone. Maybe it will shorten the cpu's life?

Your drain in hours sounds like the phone failed to sleep.

As for the power, computer CPU's drop voltage as they drop speed but they're designed for that I guess. Not sure about ARM11 CPU's!

I have to say, I'm not seeing much difference in undervolting in any case. I know I reported fairly awesome performance earlier but that just seems to be normal when you don't use the phone with any kernel - even on an old battery!

Whilst I've failed to complete my intended idle test on the normal voltage, at the times it's been interrupted it's been on track to match the undervolt idle test exactly.

My wifi test is still running but unless it drops a fair whack in the next 45 minutes the full voltage version is going to end up as having tested more battery efficient! And I did run the test twice. By accident. :D

Guest targetbsp

i've not heard of those governors, but smartass2 is already merged into the nightlies.

I dunno what they do but they're in GSF too, except for SmartAssV2 which as you say is in CM :)

Guest xondrax

@sej7278

Hi,

Could share md5 of Your 26th january KANG please?Thanks forward :)

I like Your work and Your Roms

//sorry, i am blind :) was searching it as usually in the same row

mirror for sej7278 26jan KANG

md5sum: 2f3b9470927d1a77d2d9d7326cea68a4

Edited by xondrax

lol targetbpsp.

Can anyone recommend an app which can summon Home/Menu/Back actions by screen gesture ?

Edit: But not like zMooth, I don't like having ugly cyan square at the bottom of screen.

I use Button Savior Pro ,it works great & can be customized to suit, you need full root to get the most out of it ,:)

@sej7278

Hi,

Could share md5 of Your 26th january KANG please?Thanks forward :)

I like Your work and Your Roms

md5sums are in the md5sums-file in the download folder

edit: 26jan-ROM is great!

Edited by emc02

Guest jackal-sk

I use Button Savior Pro ,it works great & can be customized to suit, you need full root to get the most out of it ,:)

Thanks for the tip mate but I'm looking for more of a gesture/glyph solution not virtual buttons.

Guest sej7278

I have to say, I'm not seeing much difference in undervolting in any case. I know I reported fairly awesome performance earlier but that just seems to be normal when you don't use the phone with any kernel - even on an old battery!

Whilst I've failed to complete my intended idle test on the normal voltage, at the times it's been interrupted it's been on track to match the undervolt idle test exactly.

My wifi test is still running but unless it drops a fair whack in the next 45 minutes the full voltage version is going to end up as having tested more battery efficient! And I did run the test twice. By accident. :D

nah i'm not convinced either.

although i'd have thought the patches are designed for when you're not doing very intensive work at 400mhz or below like facebook, but make no difference when you're idle 122mhz, or using the full 600mhz (or above when overclocked) playing games.

urgh, that was a bad way of saying the undervolting is not designed for reducing idle battery use that you're testing against.

Guest targetbsp

I'm either idle or gaming at 729 so that condition will never occur for me. :D Guess I'll stick with the normal kernel! One less file to flash :D

I spose I could leave an mp3 player running all day to put the cpu under a consistent load at low frequency. but I'm bored of this game now. :D

Edited by targetbsp

As for the power, computer CPU's drop voltage as they drop speed but they're designed for that I guess. Not sure about ARM11 CPU's!

I would say our CPU behaves more or less like the cpu of a computer, but designed for more power efficiency.

The lower the speed the lower the powerconsumption and therefore lower voltage.

But that has nothing to do with undervoltage. When I understand it correctly,

then the aim with undervoltage is to reduce the voltage, but keeping the clockspeed.

That's an illusion.

I would say, the undervoltage only equals to a misconfiguration.

Providing the cpu with a voltage that it is not designed for. Which will more harm than benefit.

The only way I see to have more battery life, but without losing performance is through smarter governors.

Guest targetbsp

My phone can't play some mp4 videos. It can some but not others and I'm not sure what the difference is between working ones and not working ones. I've known this for ages and it's never bothered me before but now I have a game I want to play and can't cause the intro won't work!

Any idea's? Anyone else have this issue? Is it a CM problem or happen in all roms?

Edited by targetbsp

The problem is, mp4 is just the container, such as avi. It can contain numerous audio and video formats. So, you need to be more specific about the actual content of this video. Maybe you are able to post the output of a program like mediainfo or such.

Guest targetbsp

Thanks, here's the output:

General

Complete name : \\android\sdcard\Android\data\com.elevenbitstudios.AnomalyWarzoneEarthHD\cache\start.mp4

Format : MPEG-4

Format profile : Base Media

Codec ID : isom

File size : 31.1 MiB

Duration : 1mn 24s

Overall bit rate mode : Variable

Overall bit rate : 3 089 Kbps

Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-27 15:35:13

Tagged date : UTC 2011-10-27 15:35:13

Writing application : Yamb 2.1.0.0 [http://yamb.unite-video.com]

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : [email protected]

Format settings, CABAC : No

Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate : 2 889 Kbps

Maximum bit rate : 18.2 Mbps

Width : 1 280 pixels

Height : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.125

Stream size : 29.1 MiB (94%)

Writing library : x264 core 119 r2106 07efeb4

Encoding settings : cabac=0 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-28 14:50:18

Tagged date : UTC 2011-10-27 15:35:15

Audio

ID : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile : LC

Codec ID : 40

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 198 Kbps

Maximum bit rate : 238 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz

Compression mode : Lossy

Stream size : 1.99 MiB (6%)

Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-27 15:35:15

Tagged date : UTC 2011-10-27 15:35:15

Guest jesuita

S o, whats the trick to get games working fadt and smooth? In some games like per example Mr Karoshi (fun game!!) which has fairly basic graphics sometimes the fps drop so much it looks like im playing in slow motion.. Any cpu governor recomended? any other tricks?

Im with CM7.1.0 in a GEN2 Blade.

Thanks, here's the output:

Video

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate : 2 889 Kbps

Maximum bit rate : 18.2 Mbps

Width : 1 280 pixels

Height : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Ok, I guess, the height and width are just too big, this is hd ready resolution but the screen of the blade is simply not capable to playback this size. Not the built in player anyway. Can you setup an alternative videoplayer? The mobo player resizes the resolution, but the cpu of our Blade is way too slow to be able to playback such a file fluently.

Guest nitsy01

I read so many positive reaction on that undervolting cpu thing, that I have to try it out myself.

I didn't make any tests, but after using it some days, I can't say I got more battery life.

On the contrary, when I set my Blade to only use GSM (2G), my battery was depleted within hours without any use. I don't see any connection between 2G and cpu - undervolting, but somehow it influences it.

Another thought:

The cpu will need a amount of power to run at a certain clockspeed. If you lower the voltage, the cpu will draw more current to get the same power.

At the end you won't get any benefit, because the cpu needs the same amount of power.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend that undervolting thing to anyone. Maybe it will shorten the cpu's life?

would agree here, for me the previous kernel without the undervolting thing was fine and good on the battery...but with few more changes now being incorporated by Sej still thinking whether to continue or revert to Sej's dec build which was fine and gave me a day and half battery life with normal usage(an hour worth of phone calls, few texts, and some browsing)

will be downloading Sej's new build and testing it for now. if it works good, if not will revert to dec build.

...The cpu will need a amount of power to run at a certain clockspeed. If you lower the voltage, the cpu will draw more current to get the same power.

Undervolting saves energy and doesn't harm the CPU. The manufactor gives some voltage range wich garantee stable usage, but that are not the real ranges that could be used (see overclocking!)

So you can undervolt the CPU. Other question is, if the undervolting really works and is recognised by hardware.

A simple test would be:

1) charge to 100%

2) set to flight mode

3) set min and max clock speed to 245MHz

4) run an CPU Benchmark and loop till battery is empty and keep screen off (benchmark should run with screen off)

check the time needed till battery is empty

then take the non-undervolting-kernel and redo 1) - 4) and compare the time!

maybe someone has a Blade that is not in daily use to do the test

Guest thewild

I find Sej's ROM really nice on power while listening to MP3s and phone otherwise idle.

I use Toggle2G so I play MP3s (stock music player) with screen off, 2G network, bluetooth on and min clock speed 122MHz, smartassv2.

I listened to MP3s for about 1h30 this morning and went from 100% to 90%, with bluetooth headphones ! Pretty good I guess, even though I believe that the highest battery charge estimates are the less reliable ones.

BUT, I find battery usage when screen is on to be very high.

I'm not saying this is the case for this rom more than another one, since I only have my Blade for one month and haven't tried many, but using the phone for ~45minutes on 3G will drain something like 25% of my battery. Is this a normal power consumption ? Should I try another governor maybe ? It is also running quite hot when in use. I forgot : no overclocking, max speed at 604MHz.

Also, my screen brightness is set to manual and at minimum luminosity. I still find it very bright and wouldn't mind dimming it a bit further (OLED screen). Is there a way to do that ?