[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

i've not heard of those governors, but smartass2 is already merged into the nightlies.

I dunno what they do but they're in GSF too, except for SmartAssV2 which as you say is in CM :)

InteractiveX:

Code: /* * drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_interactive.c * * Copyright © 2010 Google, Inc. * * This software is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public * License version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation, and * may be copied, distributed, and modified under those terms. * * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the * GNU General Public License for more details. * * Author: Mike Chan ([email protected]) - modified for suspend/wake by imoseyon * */

As you can see in the summary, this is Interactive with some modifications by imoseyon. Now instead of using the dirty SetCPU profiles method of locking the frequency to minimum when phone is asleep, the own governor will do that which is a cleaner method and with a better ramping management when coming out of sleep. Basically, it has Interactive's performance with better battery.

Smartass:

Code: /* * drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_smartass2.c * * Copyright © 2010 Google, Inc. * * This software is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public * License version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation, and * may be copied, distributed, and modified under those terms. * * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the * GNU General Public License for more details. * * Author: Erasmux * * Based on the interactive governor By Mike Chan ([email protected]) * which was adaptated to 2.6.29 kernel by Nadlabak ([email protected]) * * SMP support based on mod by faux123 * * requires to add * EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(nr_running); * at the end of kernel/sched.c * */

This one has been increasingly popular and it's becoming the favorite one for Q3-4 2011. Smartass is based on Interactive but with some modifications, as well as built-in profiles. Recently, Erasmux released this v2 which by what people are saying it's very good. I suggest you go to this link for more informations. It's probably Quasar's best governor at the moment, along with Minmax.

Minmax:

Code: /* * drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_minmax.c * * Copyright © 2001 Russell King * © 2003 Venkatesh Pallipadi <[email protected]>. * Jun Nakajima <[email protected]> * © 2004 Alexander Clouter <[email protected]> * * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as * published by the Free Software Foundation. * * This governor is an adapatation of the conservative governor. * See the Documentation/cpu-freq/governors.txt for more information. * * Adapatation from conservative by Erasmux. *

/This governor was a very pleasant surprise. Although an adaptation of Conservative governor it has probably the best performance of them all. Might fall shorter on battery than Smartass v2 but I owe it my best experiences in terms of snappiness so far, reason why I selected it as default governor for Nova. My personal favorite until I can draw a conclusion from using Smartass v2.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1242323

1) Ondemand:

Default governor in almost all stock kernels. One main goal of the ondemand governor is to switch to max frequency as soon as there is a CPU activity detected to ensure the responsiveness of the system. (You can change this behavior using smooth scaling parameters, refer Siyah tweaks at the end of 3rd post.) Effectively, it uses the CPU busy time as the answer to "how critical is performance right now" question. So Ondemand jumps to maximum frequency when CPU is busy and decreases the frequency gradually when CPU is less loaded/apporaching idle. Even though many of us consider this a reliable governor, it falls short on battery saving and performance on default settings. One potential reason for ondemand governor being not very power efficient is that the governor decide the next target frequency by instant requirement during sampling interval. The instant requirement can response quickly to workload change, but it does not usually reflect workload real CPU usage requirement in a small longer time and it possibly causes frequently change between highest and lowest frequency.

2) Ondemandx:

Basically an ondemand with suspend/wake profiles. This governor is supposed to be a battery friendly ondemand. When screen is off, max frequency is capped at 500 mhz. Even though ondemand is the default governor in many kernel and is considered safe/stable, the support for ondemand/ondemandX depends on CPU capability to do fast frequency switching which are very low latency frequency transitions. I have read somewhere that the performance of ondemand/ondemandx were significantly varying for different i/o schedulers. This is not true for most of the other governors. I personally feel ondemand/ondemandx goes best with SIO I/O scheduler.

3) Conservative:

A slower ondemand which scales up slowly to save battery. The conservative governor is based on the ondemand governor. It functions like the ondemand governor by dynamically adjusting frequencies based on processor utilization. However, the conservative governor increases and decreases CPU speed more gradually. Simply put, this governor increases the frequency step by step on CPU load and jumps to lowest frequency on CPU idle. Conservative governor aims to dynamically adjust the CPU frequency to current utilization, without jumping to max frequency. The sampling_down_factor value acts as a negative multiplier of sampling_rate to reduce the frequency that the scheduler samples the CPU utilization. For example, if sampling_rate equal to 20,000 and sampling_down_factor is 2, the governor samples the CPU utilization every 40,000 microseconds.

4) Interactive:

Can be considered a faster ondemand. So more snappier, less battery. interactive is designed for latency-sensitive, interactive workloads. Instead of sampling at every interval like ondemand, it determines how to scale up when CPU comes out of idle. The governor has the following advantages: 1) More consistent ramping, because existing governors do their cpu load sampling in a workqueue context, but interactive governor does this in a timer context, which gives more consistent CPU load sampling. 2) Higher priority for CPU frequency increase, thus giving the remaining tasks the CPU performance benefit, unlike existing governors which schedule ramp-up work to occur after your performance starved tasks have completed. Interactive It's an intelligent Ondemand because of stability optimizations. Why??

Sampling the CPU load every X ms (like ondemand) can lead to under-powering the CPU for X ms, leading to dropped frames, stuttering UI, etc. Instead of sampling the CPU at a specified rate, the interactive governor will check whether to scale the CPU frequency up soon after coming out of idle. When the CPU comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire within 1-2 ticks. If the CPU is very busy between exiting idle and when the timer fires, then we assume the CPU is underpowered and ramp to max frequency.

5) Interactivex:

This is an Interactive governor with a wake profile. More battery friendly than interactive.

7) Smartass:

Result of Erasmux rewriting the complete code of interactive governor. Main goal is to optimize battery life without comprising performance. Still, not as battery friendly as smartassV2 since screen-on minimum frequency is greater than frequencies used during screen-off. Smartass would jump up to highest frequency too often as well.

8) SmartassV2:

Version 2 of the original smartass governor from Erasmux. Another favorite for many a people. The governor aim for an "ideal frequency", and ramp up more aggressively towards this freq and less aggressive after. It uses different ideal frequencies for screen on and screen off, namely awake_ideal_freq and sleep_ideal_freq. This governor scales down CPU very fast (to hit sleep_ideal_freq soon) while screen is off and scales up rapidly to awake_ideal_freq (500 mhz for GS2 by default) when screen is on. There's no upper limit for frequency while screen is off (unlike Smartass). So the entire frequency range is available for the governor to use during screen-on and screen-off state. The motto of this governor is a balance between performance and battery.

11) Lagfree:

Lagfree is similar to ondemand. Main difference is it's optimization to become more battery friendly. Frequency is gracefully decreased and increased, unlike ondemand which jumps to 100% too often. Lagfree does not skip any frequency step while scaling up or down. Remember that if there's a requirement for sudden burst of power, lagfree can not satisfy that since it has to raise cpu through each higher frequency step from current. Some users report that video playback using lagfree stutters a little.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1369817

:)

Edited by ZTR

Another thought:

The cpu will need a amount of power to run at a certain clockspeed. If you lower the voltage, the cpu will draw more current to get the same power.

ahem - suggest you google ohm's law.

Guest MidaMilunk

After using Sej's 21jan version for a few days, I experienced a freeze (during some Latitude checkin - so nothing CPU intensive)... I have decreaset the maximum CPU freq. from 710 to 690, but next day (it was actually yesterday) evening phone has freezed again - I was unable to boot is for some 15 minutes, removed the battery several times, sometimes it was able to buut but has freezed while screen was off, sometimes it freezed during boot (green droid). Eventually I have removed the battery for some 5 minutes, and put it back again - this time boot was succesfull, and everithing looked to be back in order.

The same day, some 8 hours earlier I have used the phone for car navigation (Sygic), while charging (of course) - it was hot like a frying pan, but no freeze, no problem, so I guess the problem was not around the CPU/governor settings - I use SmartassV2 anyway). The freeze happend in the evening at home on both days!

Guest targetbsp

Ok, I guess, the height and width are just too big, this is hd ready resolution but the screen of the blade is simply not capable to playback this size. Not the built in player anyway. Can you setup an alternative videoplayer? The mobo player resizes the resolution, but the cpu of our Blade is way too slow to be able to playback such a file fluently.

I forgot to say, I did try it in mobo player with the same results. Black screen and audio only.

Guest Sparrow1

I would say, the undervoltage only equals to a misconfiguration.

Providing the cpu with a voltage that it is not designed for. Which will more harm than benefit.

Thats just opinion. If you provide CPU with lower voltage than designed, then you risk that voltage will be too low for reliable operation of transistors. They may not be able to switch as fast as with higher voltage. If this situation occurs, typically you will encounter lock-up (for example by executing illegal instruction because CPU registers/cache/whatever contains garbage). But you cannot physically damage CPU by performing undervolting. If CPU is working correctly after undervolting then it is safe and provides energy savings. Lower voltage means lower current draw - less precious mAh spent on doing nothing.

Guest targetbsp

S o, whats the trick to get games working fadt and smooth? In some games like per example Mr Karoshi (fun game!!) which has fairly basic graphics sometimes the fps drop so much it looks like im playing in slow motion.. Any cpu governor recomended? any other tricks?

Im with CM7.1.0 in a GEN2 Blade.

Odd. I've got loads of games, like 60, I've spent more on games than the phone cost! Including Mr Karoshi and it's fine. And I've played loads more and only ever found one game (Crime Story) compatible with the Blade that was too slow on it.

I'm using SmartAssv2 these days because one game I tried struggled on OnDemand - but it wasn't Karoshi it was fine with OnDemand.

Maybe you have some app running in the background eating up cpu time? This is good for checking: http://www.appbrain.com/app/task-manager/com.houmiak.taskmanager

Edited by targetbsp

targetbsp can You make a fresh build without additional stuff (UV, Soft Buttons etc.) and upload somewhere? I known You out of bandwidth.

Edited by Simono

Guest targetbsp

I have a clean build with no extras on my phone right now. I'm unfamiliar with uploading to these file sharing sites and some of them are out of action now after the take down of Mega Upload scared them off! I'll look into it but if anyone has any recommendations for such a site where I don;t have to go to much effort (preferably none!) to sign up to it would be appreciated!

[edit]

Uploading to mediafire because that's where I prefer to download other roms from!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest shanky887614

My phone can't play some mp4 videos. It can some but not others and I'm not sure what the difference is between working ones and not working ones. I've known this for ages and it's never bothered me before but now I have a game I want to play and can't cause the intro won't work!

Any idea's? Anyone else have this issue? Is it a CM problem or happen in all roms?

.mp4 is just a container

inside a .mp4 file there is an audio and video file

install mobi player and there codecs and you should be able to play nearly all video formats, i say nearly all because the blade isnt powerful enough for all of them

Guest marcodassi

My little test on sej 18jan3...

Normal phone usage (voice calls, SMSs, a little WiFi, some organizers, casual game, etc.), NO GPS, Airplane mode at night, always on 2G network (with NO data plan at all), no GApps, always using a Nokia bluetooth headset for calls:

Governor: ondemand

Min / Max CPU freq.: 122 / 710

I take the screenshots just after the red LED starts flashing (battery = 10%)

post-833839-0-05700800-1327668314_thumb.

post-833839-0-73075600-1327668333_thumb.

:blink: AMAZING!!! About 1 WEEK of normal usage with a single charge! :D

Now I want to try smartass V2... what do you think? May I gain another day of battery duration? LOL

Thanks CM, sej and all the great people behind!

- Marco

Edited by marcodassi

Guest thewild
post-833839-0-05700800-1327668314_thumb.

You are using airplane mode during the night, right ? And you always stay on 2G network ?

Just trying to clarify the conditions of the test, I'm not questioning your data.

Guest marcodassi

You are using airplane mode during the night, right ? And you always stay on 2G network ?

Just trying to clarify the conditions of the test, I'm not questioning your data.

Thanks, I've edited my post.

Guest targetbsp

targetbsp can You make a fresh build without additional stuff (UV, Soft Buttons etc.) and upload somewhere? I known You out of bandwidth.

Here ya go: http://www.mediafire.com/?a59h7piihvbonby

MD5# 55a58ff6956e99c2b816f1f9a2bc8f3e

A vanilla CM7 compiled from source with no changes. Includes all fixes up to and including "Rotation animation, fix for devices with ro.sf.hwrotation set to something other than 0." from http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=blade

Guest marcodassi

Here ya go: http://www.mediafire...a59h7piihvbonby

A vanilla CM7 compiled from source with no changes. Includes all fixes up to and including "Rotation animation, fix for devices with ro.sf.hwrotation set to something other than 0." from http://cm-nightlies....m/?device=blade

That's fine... but you can see by yourself that undervolting is a must-have from now on (see my post on previous page) :D

Can you please do another build "vanilla + UV cpu/wifi"? When you've some spare time, of course... thanks!

ciao

marco

Guest targetbsp

That's fine... but you can see by yourself that undervolting is a must-have from now on (see my post on previous page) :D

Can you please do another build "vanilla + UV cpu/wifi"? When you've some spare time, of course... thanks!

ciao

marco

I'm not so sure after my own testing. :D But I am hosting a patch for UV kernel on my site if people want to add it: http://blade.windows98.co.uk/

Here ya go: http://www.mediafire...a59h7piihvbonby

A vanilla CM7 compiled from source with no changes. Includes all fixes up to and including "Rotation animation, fix for devices with ro.sf.hwrotation set to something other than 0." from http://cm-nightlies....m/?device=blade

Thanks

Downloading now :)

Edited by Simono

Guest targetbsp

A simple test would be:

1) charge to 100%

2) set to flight mode

3) set min and max clock speed to 245MHz

4) run an CPU Benchmark and loop till battery is empty and keep screen off (benchmark should run with screen off)

check the time needed till battery is empty

then take the non-undervolting-kernel and redo 1) - 4) and compare the time!

maybe someone has a Blade that is not in daily use to do the test

Sounds like a plan. I should be able to do this over the weekend (preceded by overnight charges). Sounds better than my MP3 playing idea! If no-one phones me over the weekend, expect results on Sunday afternoon/evening!

Guest sej7278

Sounds like a plan. I should be able to do this over the weekend (preceded by overnight charges). Sounds better than my MP3 playing idea! If no-one phones me over the weekend, expect results on Sunday afternoon/evening!

right, who knows targetbsp's mobile number mwahahahaha! you're not on o2 are you, as we can probably find it pretty easily :D

Guest targetbsp

right, who knows targetbsp's mobile number mwahahahaha! you're not on o2 are you, as we can probably find it pretty easily :D

Yes I am lol (well giffgaff). I had a moan about that on my other phone forum. :D

Guest targetbsp

OK... so what benchmark actually supports looping? :D Otherwise I'll be going with poweramp for putting the CPU under load after all!

[edit]

I guess I could use SetCPU's stability test if no-one has a better idea?

Edited by targetbsp

Guest thewild

OK... so what benchmark actually supports looping? :D Otherwise I'll be going with poweramp for putting the CPU under load after all!

[edit]

I guess I could use SetCPU's stability test if no-one has a better idea?

It looks like Stability Test can do it.

It's main goal is to stress test the cpu, but it should run forever if no error is found :

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.into.stability

...If no-one phones me over the weekend, expect results on Sunday afternoon/evening!

well, thats why you should test in Airplane-mode (sorry, i Wrote flight mode ;) )

Thanks, I'll give it a go. SetCPU's stability test stops when the screen goes off. :(

if the Display is on with and without undervolting kernel, then set it to lowest brightness (not automatic) and it should also be ok and give the "right" result

Can we have from fish'n'chips 3.2 rom

- **TCP buffer sizes optimised for extra "OOOMMMPHHHH" over EDGE, 3G and WIFI

** found on XDA<br style=color: rgb(75, 75, 75); font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Georgia, Courier, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(249, 250, 251); ">(see screenshots below and this video:http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qIU59sZ-vyE) :D

?

Guest targetbsp

Ok. The CPU uses flip all power. :D To test the test, I ran the stability test for 70 minutes at normal voltage at 729mhz. It's completing the tests in its sleep (it logs the progress) but it started at 50% and is still at 50%. The power used by the CPU appears to be insignificant whatever you have it doing!