[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sej7278

really!? interesting! i haven't seen any decrease in stability or performance from when i switched over from the latest nightly, but the battery life has significantly improved

The kernel and the rest of the platform has moved along a lot since the last nightly that was what, 3+ months ago now? you can't say that the undervolting patches are good or bad based on the difference between the nightly kernel, only if you did what targetbsp did - and apply two different kernels to the same (modern) build.

personally i think the battery savings are bogus as you'll rarely hit the speeds that they're enabled at. i've been using 8% battery per day on a regular kernel with light wifi usage.

Same goes for the perceived speed ups, nothing has changed to make things any faster!

I didn't see any stability issues with the undervolted kernel although i think wifi signal was weaker, and i didn't try overclocking it.

i'd prefer if undervolting was implemented using drivers as it is on other phones, then it could be enabled/disabled and the voltages/frequencies changed as a preference or using an app, rather than the tables being hardcoded and always enabled.

Edited by sej7278

Guest arpit22x

I flashed burgerZ's 07feb today and its working really smooth and fast ... everything is working wonderful till now..... thanks for the great efforts...

Guest Sulthekk

i'd prefer if undervolting was implemented using drivers as it is on other phones, then it could be enabled/disabled and the voltages/frequencies changed as a preference or using an app, rather than the tables being hardcoded and always enabled.

It has already been an idea in the hungarian community, but the devs think there would be a LOT of bricked phones because of undervolting/overvolting.

Guest Clitheroe1

In 3 different tests I carried out undervolting the CPU had no effect on battery life and made some peoples phones unstable. In the 1 wifi test I carried out undervolting actually decreased battery life but that seems odd and I only did the one test so I'm not going to make any claims on that.

If it helps your battery then great but it's clearly a case of YMMV and as it makes phones unstable it should be optional.

I tend to agree with you. I'm always fascinated to read other people's claims that the battery life is better with one ROM over another or with undervolting or not. My personal experience is that all these things only have a peripheral impact and I am yet to use anything that has lead to a significant difference to the battery life.

Guest JoaoMarcelo

your words inspired me to try something and I was finally able to narrow the alarm clock issue down:

Its holding your phone in horizontal position while dismissing an alarm that gets your phone in a useless state where your lockscreen has no controls or any information beside your background picture and you can't unlock the phone, just bring up the power down phone options menue.

i've discovered the solution: all you must do is to make the gesture to unlock the screen, even if it don't show anything. hahahahahahhahah

Guest hayenne

Hi guys

Sorry for a newbish question - searched the forum upside down - but what's a "Kang rom"?

Do you need to install usual gapps over such rom as you do for a CM?

Is there an updated pack of gapps or the latest one is dated Aug '11?

Thanks in forward

Guest jackal-sk

I tend to agree with you. I'm always fascinated to read other people's claims that the battery life is better with one ROM over another or with undervolting or not. My personal experience is that all these things only have a peripheral impact and I am yet to use anything that has lead to a significant difference to the battery life.

Some CM builds have had a bad battyery life.

Guest targetbsp

Some CM builds have had a bad battyery life.

Yeah but only ones that have actually had a bug. In general, same as Clitheroe1, I don't find any rom different form any other rom

Sorry for a newbish question - searched the forum upside down - but what's a "Kang rom"?

It just means it's an unofficial build. One made by us from the CM sources rather than the CM's buildbot.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest HarryPirate

targetbsp I'm on your 8FEB very good rom indeed.

If the SystemUI.apk compilation in MIUI gets fixed this would be a great rom to patch to MIUI, with your consent obviously.

Edited by HarryPirate

Guest adonwenas

Hi i downloaded the image.bin that BurgerZ posted. I placed it on the root of sdcard and started phone pressing menu+volm up, it just booted into CM.

Next i placed the image.bin in a folder named image and did the same. This time it showed me the word "error" in green 4-5 times.

I also tried extracting the bin but magicISO says its an invalid image.

What am i doing wrong ? :/

Sorry its my first time with a tpt

U have to create folder "lmage" like /sdcard/image put image.bin in that folder, then try again... if it works it will show u progress, after success it will reboot n bring u to cwm, n u can continue to install rom cuz tpt process is clean ur system. Pm me if this unclearly...

U can use "free space" on market to see if its work or not.

sent from V880 using Tapatalk

Edited by adonwenas

Guest Gregorypeg1000

I installed the 7feb burgerz rom and i really loved it.Smooth,fast,stable.The only problem is that the gps stopped working.I use gps status to download a-gps data,see the locked sattelites,coordinates,altitude etc but with this rom the gps signal locks at random coordinates(nowhere near my location and with no fixed sattelites.I did a full wipe and the problem reamains.I really need gps on my phone...Anyone had the same problem??

Also,if you can ,plz add greek language. Thanks a lot

Idk if its because of the undervolt mod, but I only got the same battery life as the old N179 when these Burger builds were released.

Las time I had 2 days and 10 hours of battery.

I installed the 7feb burgerz rom and i really loved it.Smooth,fast,stable.The only problem is that the gps stopped working.I use gps status to download a-gps data,see the locked sattelites,coordinates,altitude etc but with this rom the gps signal locks at random coordinates(nowhere near my location and with no fixed sattelites.I did a full wipe and the problem reamains.I really need gps on my phone...Anyone had the same problem??

Also,if you can ,plz add greek language. Thanks a lot

GPS problem is solved. The only thing you need to repeat it it on your phone described on burgerz sitehttp://burgerz.pro/zte-blade/instructions/gps-fix/ I think that google translate can help you to understand few russian words in instruction :)

Guest adonwenas

targetbsp I'm on your 8FEB very good rom indeed.

If the SystemUI.apk compilation in MIUI gets fixed this would be a great rom to patch to MIUI, with your consent obviously.

Could u give us a link...

sent from V880 using Tapatalk

Guest KonstaT

The kernel and the rest of the platform has moved along a lot since the last nightly that was what, 3+ months ago now? you can't say that the undervolting patches are good or bad based on the difference between the nightly kernel, only if you did what targetbsp did - and apply two different kernels to the same (modern) build.

personally i think the battery savings are bogus as you'll rarely hit the speeds that they're enabled at. i've been using 8% battery per day on a regular kernel with light wifi usage.

Same goes for the perceived speed ups, nothing has changed to make things any faster!

I didn't see any stability issues with the undervolted kernel although i think wifi signal was weaker, and i didn't try overclocking it.

You have seriously misunderstood something if you're saying that cpu rarely hits the undervolted freqs. Frequencies 480mhz and below are all undervolted. This means all the time when phone is idle and even some time when screen is on and phone is under light use (e.g. just reading something). In normal use this would mean 90+% of time.

Undervolting doesn't affect overclocking in any way.

Talks about doubling batery life are bogus, but there is a smaller and noticeable difference. Also very few have reported about stability issue. Every improvement, no matter how small, is worth having. I do agree that it would be better if a driver would be implemented to control undervolting.

Hi guys

Definition of KANG from urban dictionary:

'To steal or a stolen code when referring to programming. Also can refer to leaked coding.'

In android custom ROMs in general it means to take someone elses ROM, make some miniscule changes (e.g. change launcher) and pass it along as new ROM = steal someone elses work without giving proper credit for it.

In CyanogenMod slang it mean self compiled ROM from CyanogenMod source code.

Some say KANG was a mistype for 'developer' named kingklick, but I think it existed long before that. If you find flaming threads and nerdrage amusing this thread can be very entertaining (kingklick vs. cyanogen). ;)

Guest ChainSOV

i've discovered the solution: all you must do is to make the gesture to unlock the screen, even if it don't show anything. hahahahahahhahah

didn't work for me on sej's 26jan halo-style unlock

are you talking about the normal gesture or a custom gesture you set up in CM7 options?

The solution for me is to disable autorotation prior to setting an alarm, although I forgot to do it tonight and had to restart the phone in the morning again :(

Guest targetbsp

You have seriously misunderstood something if you're saying that cpu rarely hits the undervolted freqs. Frequencies 480mhz and below are all undervolted. This means all the time when phone is idle and even some time when screen is on and phone is under light use (e.g. just reading something). In normal use this would mean 90+% of time.

Undervolting doesn't affect overclocking in any way.

Talks about doubling batery life are bogus, but there is a smaller and noticeable difference. Also very few have reported about stability issue. Every improvement, no matter how small, is worth having. I do agree that it would be better if a driver would be implemented to control undervolting.

I've tested it to death (pretty much 2 weeks of testing) and I just can't agree there's a benefit. The CPU appears to use insignificant amounts of power under load when idle, never mind when the screen is on eating power. There's not really much power to save! And in comparative testing over 3 different tests in controlled conditions I didn't record a single difference in power consumption between a UV kernel and a normal one. Even in the most favourable condition for the UV kernel to show some benefit - screen off and cpu locked to a low frequency under constant load.

On the subject of stability I had 1 reboot whilst using the UV kernel. That's one more than I've had in CM7 in several months. I'm not going to conclusively blame UV from one incident but others seem more sure of it causing instability. And logically speaking, a fixed undervolting is just as dangerous to stability as a fixed overclock. Sure, most CPU's might handle it but all CPU's are only guaranteed to run at what it left the factory with.

As for its effects on overclocking, I'm with you there and can't really see how it would affect it. it didn't affect mine. I only have one theory... whilst testing overclocking speeds many months ago I realised that it's not actually the CPU being under heavy load that will cause it to fail at overclocking - it's when it switches speeds. At a borderline too high overclock I could game or run stability tests for hours no problem. It's when it ramped up or down the CPU between idle and heavy use that it was likely to crash. Perhaps the CPU now being in an even lower powered state means that adjustment is kind of more of a 'shock' (for want of a better word) to the CPU?

Edited by targetbsp

Guest jolleri

Hey!

Is it possible to turn off the red notification light when the battery is low and when the phone is charging?

It is not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to be able to see a missed call or sms notification with low batt as well..

thx!

Guest MidaMilunk

To the undervolting stuff:My phone is really unstable using CM7 KANG with UV kernel! It often stops/reboots in a low CPU situation, like scrolling an already rendered webpage...No reboots while navigating f.e. - when the CPU works like mad, and even the charger is connected, so the whole thing gets really hot.It would be possible to blame UV for this, but I now use SwedishSnow with UV kernel as well, and no stops, no reboots for even a week. CM is a bit faster anyway... especially while scrolling (although I switch 16 bit transparency off - just do not like to see the side effects), so I would prefer CM, but just can not use it, because of these reboots.I use 245-710Mhz with SmartassV2 (sometimes interactiveX, which is present in the kernel of the SS ROM) and sio, or bfq. I have also tried to lower the highest frequency, but there were the reboots even on 652Mhz, and I always enabled 710 witout any problem.