[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp

Hold on... the GPU core went from 133 to half CPU frequency and hasn't melted? Are we sure this overclock works? That seems an unrealistic increase...

Edited by targetbsp

Guest thesofty
Hold on... the GPU core went from 133 to half CPU frequency and hasn't melted? Are we sure this overclock works? That seems an unrealistic increase...

Yeah i was thinking the same. Somewhere over xda i wbaw said that for some people agpu frequency of just south of 350Mhz is possible. I can't really believe this. Has someone tested this. GPU overclocking in general seems cool. But tripling the frequency might be a bit crazy. On my galaxy s i can only overclock the gpu by 10-15% before it starts crashing

Guest targetbsp

Yeah, I'd expect a 133 chip to manage 150, maybe 166mhz for the good overclockers. Based on passed polls on here, the modal overclock for this phones CPU is 711mhz so this means a 133Mhz chip is now doing over 350mhz for a lot of people. Frankly, I'm scared to turn on my phones screen. :D

That kind of boost seems unlikely to me which means 1 of 2 things:

1) The GPU overclock is doing nothing

2) The GPU is designed to run much faster and phone manufacturers underclock it to save power. This is something I've seen in Atom based netbooks and you can set the GPU clock MUCH faster than stock. It achieves nothing though because the chipset can't cope with a faster GPU.

The problems I have with 2 though are twofold:

a) after trying to find out about this I discovered in google that 1ghz snapdragons also run this gpu at 133mhz. In high end phones wouldn;t you clock the chip higher if it can do it?

b ) why do new gpu's exist? If we're using a fraction of the Adreno 200's power, why is there a 205? Why not just use more of the 200?

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Master One

As explained over at xda I have problems with video playback, and I wonder if these are CM7 related.

From Qualcomm website:

MSM7227 can hardware accelerate video playback on files which are made with MPEG-4 Simple Profile Up to 30fps@WVGA (800x480), 2Mbps

I have re-encoded two 480p / H264 (MKV) test-videos to 800x448 H264 (M4V) with 24 fps at variable bitrate <= 1.5Mbps & MPEG-4 AAC stereo audio with 48000 Hz 160 kbps, but they do not play.

The Android stock player does not play those files at all, and MoboPlayer insists on software-decoding with total unwatchable results (choppy slow motion video playback with audio completely out of sync).

Can anybody here report successful hardware accelerated video playback?

How to check if hardware acceleration is indeed used?

Any idea what the problem could be?

Guest thesofty

Yeah, I'd expect a 133 chip to manage 150, maybe 166mhz for the good overclockers. Based on passed polls on here, the modal overclock for this phones CPU is 711mhz so this means a 133Mhz chip is now doing over 350mhz for a lot of people. Frankly, I'm scared to turn on my phones screen. :D

That kind of boost seems unlikely to me which means 1 of 2 things:

1) The GPU overclock is doing nothing

2) The GPU is designed to run much faster and phone manufacturers underclock it to save power. This is something I've seen in Atom based netbooks and you can set the GPU clock MUCH faster than stock. It achieves nothing though because the chipset can't cope with a faster GPU.

The problems I have with 2 though are twofold:

a) after trying to find out about this I discovered in google that 1ghz snapdragons also run this gpu at 133mhz. In high end phones wouldn;t you clock the chip higher if it can do it?

b ) why do new gpu's exist? If we're using a fraction of the Adreno 200's power, why is there a 205? Why not just use more of the 200?

Woha, I just figured out how to use Multiquote. Yay!!

Anyways, i googled a bit about the adreno 200 and overclocking adreno in general, and this i what i found http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=710850

Though i havent read every post in this thread, it seems to me, that whatever wbaw did, it doesnt really work at all

Guest targetbsp

Can anybody here report successful hardware accelerated video playback?

How to check if hardware acceleration is indeed used?

Any idea what the problem could be?

Some videos work for me in CM7, some don't. I'm not sure what the difference is between those that work and those that don't.

Guest emc02

...it seems to me, that whatever wbaw did, it doesnt really work at all

well, it seems that something changed, because benchmarks are higher than before, but I dont think, that you can triple the GPU clock speed (but that would be cool ;) )

Guest Master One

Some videos work for me in CM7, some don't. I'm not sure what the difference is between those that work and those that don't.

If the OS supports hardware video acceleration, and no special settings are to be made or possible, I guess it all comes down to meeting the requirements for hardware decoding as given by Qualcomm. I am trying to find out, what the issue might be, and which settings are to be made in HandBrake for the proper re-encoding, but if someone already knows the answer, please share.

Guest targetbsp

Have you tried searching the forum? I've seen a thread in he past with recommended handbrake settings.

I mostly encounter videos as game intros so I have no control over their encoding settings. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Maleiro

If the OS supports hardware video acceleration, and no special settings are to be made or possible, I guess it all comes down to meeting the requirements for hardware decoding as given by Qualcomm. I am trying to find out, what the issue might be, and which settings are to be made in HandBrake for the proper re-encoding, but if someone already knows the answer, please share.

I don't know the answer, but i can tell you that i have used handbrake with the same settings for a long time, and it always worked, but recently there was a particular video that after re-encoding doesn't play on the phone...

Edit: I just updated my handbrake, and it know has Android presets, gonna try them out...

Edited by Maleiro

Guest Master One

I don't know the answer, but i can tell you that i have used handbrake with the same settings for a long time, and it always worked, but recently there was a particular video that after re-encoding doesn't play on the phone...

Edit: I just updated my handbrake, and it know has Android presets, gonna try them out...

I already use the latest version of HandBrake, and the Android settings do not reflect the physical screen size of the ZTE Blade. I really don't want to scale down below 800x448 to have full use of the display resolution, so I guess I have to try some more re-encodes with different settings (and that's why I am asking if some already has experience in this, because such re-encodes take a very long time on my dual-core hyperthreading Atom 330 desktop).

Guest Davidoff59

Reg gpu overclock, this is a quote from wbaw over at Xda.

Originally Posted by thesofty

Wbaw, are you sure that overclocking is really working?? I mean a 3 fold clockspeed increase is pretty big for something that isn't even actively cooled like a phone.

Also i found this thread, which might interest you if you didnt knew this already http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=710850

Best regards

Originally Posted by wbaw

Pretty sure it is. Standard stock speed is 122.88, it was overclocked up to 160mhz gpu/200mhz axi by kallt kaffe's old ahb/axi overclocking patch. I set it to half cpu speed for axi & ahb buses & the gpu set to axi bus speed. There was a comment in the code where the gpu was limited to 160mhz that said it was done to save power & oems could set it higher for better performance, it suggested setting it to the max axi bus speed - however the gpu has to run at the same speed as the axi bus (according to the next comment in the code) & that was set to 122.88 mhz (or 200mhz after kallt's patch).

I was amazed it works at those speeds too, I only tried it because I misunderstood what the stock speed should be due to kallt kaffe's previous overclocking patch.

I can see a definite improvement in opengl performance, 3d games run smoother, launcher transition effects are smoother, scrolling is smoother. Street Fighter 2 in Mame was about 8fps & unplayable for me before, now it's 15-30fps. Similar improvements in other games. No more jerky launcher animations.

Sometimes some manufacturers intentionally underclock their cheaper cpus & gpus so that they can produce one chip & sell to more customers at more different price points to make more money. Maybe it was clocked lower to save some power. There could be a few reasons it was set to a much lower speed than it is capable of.

Other qualcomm gpus in other phones can get some extreme looking overclocks too. The Adreno 220 apparently overclocks up to 400mhz.

Guest targetbsp

Well... I've only ever encountered one game that looked interesting to me and was compatible with the Blade that was too slow (Giovanni's Nightmare) so I'll give it a go I guess! It's 2d though so it's probably not gpu limited. But I don't have any other games whose performance i'm unhappy with. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Maleiro

I already use the latest version of HandBrake, and the Android settings do not reflect the physical screen size of the ZTE Blade. I really don't want to scale down below 800x448 to have full use of the display resolution, so I guess I have to try some more re-encodes with different settings (and that's why I am asking if some already has experience in this, because such re-encodes take a very long time on my dual-core hyperthreading Atom 330 desktop).

After a few tests i came to the conclusion that i cannot re-encode videos anymore with handbrake, I've tested almost every config in the presets and even a few costume ones, and the result is always the same, normal player can't play and Mobo laggs just as you described, tomorrow I'm gonna test using other re-encoding software.

Guest Master One

Hardware accelerated video playback problem solved! :)

I tried a new re-encode with HandBrake based on the "Android Mid" preset with adaption of the output resolution to 800x448, which is working as supposed to.

It's playing in the Android stock video player and MoboPlayer confirms it's Hard-Decoding (can be checked by touching the screen during playback and then the three dots on the right side, then the media and playback info is shown).

So this is really cool, stunning picture quality with full resolution, completely smooth playback with no chopping, and audio/video perfectly in sync.

Looks like this is a good reason to stick with CM7, because afaik hardware acceleration is still not working on CM9.

Guest targetbsp

meh. I couldn't reproduce the result originally claimed here during further testing.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest DoubleM101

I have the Nightly 255 and the 257 on my pc and today, Kaspersky detected both as containing a Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakeInst.a

Now i´m afraid the Rom has some kind of Trojan. I´ve download it from the official Cyanogenmod site.Some kind of false positive or what? unsure.gif

Guest Maleiro

Hardware accelerated video playback problem solved! :)

I tried a new re-encode with HandBrake based on the "Android Mid" preset with adaption of the output resolution to 800x448, which is working as supposed to.

It's playing in the Android stock video player and MoboPlayer confirms it's Hard-Decoding (can be checked by touching the screen during playback and then the three dots on the right side, then the media and playback info is shown).

So this is really cool, stunning picture quality with full resolution, completely smooth playback with no chopping, and audio/video perfectly in sync.

Looks like this is a good reason to stick with CM7, because afaik hardware acceleration is still not working on CM9.

I've tested as you said, hand it worked, i also came to the conclusion that what ever it's wrong in "Android Hi" preset got to do with the settings in the "Advanced" tab, it's the only tab with diferent settings compared with "Android Mid"'s.

I have re-encoded two 480p / H264 (MKV) test-videos to 800x448 H264 (M4V) with 24 fps at variable bitrate <= 1.5Mbps & MPEG-4 AAC stereo audio with 48000 Hz 160 kbps, but they do not play.

Afaik to hard decode a H.264/MPEG4 video you need to specify the profile and the level of the avc stream with

--profile baseline --level 3

otherwise your stream may not be hard decoded even if it's <= [email protected]. MPEG4 decoding is very limited on the 7227 (like on the PSP, for example). Search in your gui for a "Profile" section and "Levels" section and set them as above, or add those parameters at your x264.exe command line. To be more sure that decoding won't fail, use also

--vbv-bufsize 1500 --vbv-maxrate 1500

To set max bitrate at 1500kbps on vbr encodes.

Guest Master One

Cusy, thanks for the input, but the problem has already been solved, and hardware H264 decoding is not working as expected. Detailed infos are in this xda thread.

Guest emc02

new kernel is not stable at 729MHz (on my blade), so it lowered the stable clock speed to 710MHz (just testing) or maybe 691MHz like a few month before... but overall Performance is a bit better with the latest kernel

Guest targetbsp

I can't convincingly see any difference in GPU performance across several games and benchmarks in Wbaws kernel vs an older (pre-new_kernel) build of CM7. Anyone else? I can;t be bothered to muck about with the suggested mame but I'll try any single app where anyone can see a difference!

Guest k.d.11

I can't convincingly see any difference in GPU performance across several games and benchmarks in Wbaws kernel vs an older (pre-new_kernel) build of CM7. Anyone else? I can;t be bothered to muck about with the suggested mame but I'll try any single app where anyone can see a difference!

GTRacing hd clear improvement..smooth no lag at all compared to performance on pre gpu axi patches Even the way the first page of the market scrolls was a notable difference for me. Dont trust benchmarks..and squadzone's new kang at xda is pretty fast with many customizable options and his kernel i think its worth checking out

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1532921

Edited by k.d.11

Guest targetbsp

A gpu benchmark, ie something that stresses mostly the gpu and is barely dependant upon the CPU, should be the thing where you'd most easily see the benefits of a GPU core overclock. A game is going to be far more CPU bound. I'm more suspecting you're seeing the benefits of something else being overclocked - but not the GPU core.

Which from 133 to an alleged 350 was fairly unlikely anyway. I wonder if people are just seeing benefits from the overclocked bus?