[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest k.d.11

I knew it! The guys a part of team hacksung and stuff hes a big dev he doesnt have a reason to lie and i did in a way ask for the source saying there were no changes to his github but he didnt give a straight reply he replied to some other issue id asked about..

Guest tilal6991

If it's really 3.X, then it should work on ICS with no problem, shouldn't it?

If it is then yes. And it should be easy to get it up to 3.3 even.

Guest tilal6991

He should release his sources though as the kernel is GPLed and not Apache like android is. I'll ask him as well since I know him on GitHub etc.

Guest Geree

With Squadzone's ROM I really have significant improvement in 3D..almost 200 points more in AnTuTu. Used to have 1400ish...now 1624.

Guest targetbsp

With Squadzone's ROM I really have significant improvement in 3D..almost 200 points more in AnTuTu. Used to have 1400ish...now 1624.

Is that compared to Cm7 with the new Adreno drivers or the old?

Guest Geree

Is that compared to Cm7 with the new Adreno drivers or the old?

Good question...I don't think if I ever used the new Adreno libs...so last time when I ran this benchmark it was probably without those.. So in that case those can be also :)

Guest targetbsp

Benchmarks pretty much the same as CM7.2 with the new libs for me. :)

It sure does have a ton of options though!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest k.d.11

Benchmarks pretty much the same as CM7.2 with the new libs for me. :)

It sure does have a ton of options though!

I don't know about benchmarks but game performance has improved a lot plus that was the fastest I've seen adw run on any rom ..

Guest targetbsp

Due to lack of battery I only tried one and it was the same as the new drivers used on CM7 for me. I'll play some more tomorrow so what game(s) are we talking about?

Are you comparing with the new Adreno drivers? They are much better at 3d and aren't included in CM7 as standard.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest k.d.11

I'm comparing to burstlams latest release as well as cm7 let me give you a bit more detail

When you're playing zombie dash 2d so adreno libs out of the picture after the 3 rd level when many zombies start coming in or spawning on most other roms it starts lagging a lot but on this nothing! In gt racing on other roms whenever you bump into a car in the beginning or something it starts lagging but in this it doesn't..

Guest sej7278

I have tried that kernel on sejs latest build, but phone just doesn't sleep. Also it has been compiled on 1st of April, so maybe it's just a renamed .35 based on the new blade source... Although on his github can be seen that he started to port kernel 3.0.8 from aries, but still there are no blade specific commits.

tilal, I have extracted the kernel, as it's faster to download than a full rom if you wanna a have a look at it, but I don't think it's really 3.X

its got the new adreno libs in it - i wonder where the other proprietary stuff like wifi came from as its not zte.

the defconfig isn't different enough from 2.6.35 to be a 3.0.2.3 kernel, its certainly a lot different to another arm 3.0.2 defconfig i've seen.

hopefully i'm wrong, and we'll see the sourcecode....

Guest targetbsp

Didn't tilal confirm its 3. X? Is that not enough to be sure?

But he has said of himself on more than one occasion that he isn't a kernel dev so... His own words, not mine. I have the utmost respect for his work on his awesome Coldfusion. :)

What's confusing me is that what I understand ought to be a significant milestone if true, no-one is making any fuss about it outside of this thread? I can't see that the dev himself has even mentioned it? Beyond the words 'new kernel'

I'm not saying it isn't, I wouldn't have a clue. I'm just going to refrain from getting too excited until tilal has had his chat with the dev kernel wise. And performance wise, until I've seen an improvement myself.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest k.d.11

EXACTLY WHAT IVE BEEN THINKING! but the Dev doesn't make a big fuss of anything so we still don't know..btw the music thing on the status bar is like ics..kinda.. have you tried running music and opening the status bar?

Guest sej7278

Didn't tilal confirm its 3. X? Is that not enough to be sure?

the kgsl-3d0 libs are nothing to do with 3.0 kernel, its just the new adreno libs. at most he's backported the patches to get accelerated 3d working from ics.

Guest tilal6991

I agree completely. There isn't definitive proof either way. And targetbsp is right. I'm not a kernel dev.

He could have back ported the kgsl but why? There's no benefit to it on cm7. And he's not working on cm9.

Guest targetbsp

I've not had much chance to play with it beyond restoring all my apps and setting up my launcher before my battery was out. I've got to hand it to him on that front though. It has an absolute ton of options and features. It's kinda to CM7 what CM7 is to stock. :D

As you said, the stock ADW did seem smooth but I've not tried it in CM7 normal for a long time so I dunno how it compares in newer standard versions, with better governors and the new adreno libs etc. I know it used to suck in the early days.

The game I tried is Domino Run which isn't especially smooth in CM7 (though it's not the kind of game it matters in) and also wasn't in this rom. Oddly it was always smooth in GSF.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest k.d.11

Plus he's created a github repo saying 3.0 backported to blade so why would he do that too unless it was 3.x guess well wait till he uploads

Yeah domino run lags a lot borders on unplayable..but I've never tried it on gsf so..I don't know

Edited by k.d.11

Guest kingpair

Adw seems smoother because he's changed the default homescreen swipe settings. I find no real difference tbh. Sleep issues still persist. Angry birds lags in the same places as the older cm7. But those settings! :huh: