[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest popoyaya

Having free ram is wasteful if you have something useful to put in said ram.

I think you're thinking more about task killers than having lots of ram? You can never have too much ram. What's wasteful is removing something from ram you may later use.

It's also wasteful to have something in ram which you're not using and have to remove it to load something you need to use.

Guest targetbsp

I was just a bit confused that you said the ROM probably felt faster to people because it left a bit more free RAM. I was just trying to understand if having free RAM really does speed the phone up.

In theory it shouldn't have an effect. In practise not all apps are well written! I was directly referring to k.d.11's Zombie Dash running better for him in Cyan rather than overall phone performance. And that this *might* be because Cyan has loads of memory management tweaks compared to CM7 where he had troubles with it but I apparently didn't possibly because I have tons of free ram. Plants Vs Zombies is the same - it doesn't function at all well without tons of free memory and I often have to reboot the phone before playing it.

Having enough free memory in a computer is never a bad thing. It's only a bad thing to strive for free memory by constantly unloading and then having to reload an app you use regularly. Google maps is a good example. I use it about once a month but it autoloads on the phone. However good android is at managing its memory, that's frankly a waste of my time during the phones boot-up! So I stop it loading and have it loading on demand. On the other hand, if you use it a couple of times a day then unloading and reloading it is more wasteful.

CM7 (and Cyan!) includes a heck of apps I don't use so I either freeze them if I never use them or stop them autoloading if I rarely use them: http://android.modac...71#entry1835871

Edited by targetbsp

Guest sej7278

i've made a temporary revert to the old skate-based kernel whilst we wait for the new blade source kernel to get fixed (battery/sleep issues) or the ahem, 3.0.2.3 kernel to get committed :P

so here's what i've done, does it seem right to everyone? have i missed anything?

1. from tom_g's kernel github checkout the 14/dec commit (db6aa4cf98), which is the last one before the new blade kernel source.

2. apply the following commits to it, so that we don't actually lose any functionality over the new kernel:

Add vocpcm.c module

Port Vocpcm Module (R7): support voice in-call recording

Really oc axi?

Overclock AXI

Increase max gpu speed

i've skipped the commits which are specifically to fix sensors etc. in the new kernel as they're not needed.

3. from gerrit checkout the 4/dec commit (695ed5d0442a) for device/zte/blade, this gets us the older wifi modules to match the older kernel.

4. add to it my new kernel i've compiled from the above.

5. add softbuttons, basic ringlock, ics fonts, new adreno libs, and the alarm hiding patches to cm 7.2rc1

see what you think, it works for me - wifi, google sync, proximity in calls etc. i've obviously not tested battery life yet, but it certainly seems to sleep.

usual place

Guest asm19

i've made a temporary revert to the old skate-based kernel whilst we wait for the new blade source kernel to get fixed (battery/sleep issues) or the ahem, 3.0.2.3 kernel to get committed :P

so here's what i've done, does it seem right to everyone? have i missed anything?

1. from tom_g's kernel github checkout the 14/dec commit (db6aa4cf98), which is the last one before the new blade kernel source.

2. apply the following commits to it, so that we don't actually lose any functionality over the new kernel:

Add vocpcm.c module

Port Vocpcm Module (R7): support voice in-call recording

Really oc axi?

Overclock AXI

Increase max gpu speed

i've skipped the commits which are specifically to fix sensors etc. in the new kernel as they're not needed.

3. from gerrit checkout the 4/dec commit (695ed5d0442a) for device/zte/blade, this gets us the older wifi modules to match the older kernel.

4. add to it my new kernel i've compiled from the above.

5. add softbuttons, basic ringlock, ics fonts, new adreno libs, and the alarm hiding patches to cm 7.2rc1

see what you think, it works for me - wifi, google sync, proximity in calls etc. i've obviously not tested battery life yet, but it certainly seems to sleep.

usual place

Nice work, i'll test... Thanks

Guest kingpair

Thanks sej! I just switched to burstlam's n393x, so i'll take your build for a spin later this weekend. I have to say I'm really liking this new burstlam build. Doesnt seem to have the same wifi sleep issues and I'm pretty sure he's using the new kernel although I cant say for certain coz that changelog on his site is indecipherable after google translate has had its way with mandarin. Its also got a lot of the settings that were featured in cyanmobile. The transition animations can get a bit stuttery but apart from that it seems to be fairly fluid.

For those who are interested here's the link:

http://uloz.to/xTHPLVW/n393x-fix2-signed-zip

Guest mobile579

usual place

b6336512b153bd9eaf79d690d6ffe883 update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-blade-UNOFFICIAL-sej20120406-signed.zip

Seems to be working fine for me. No MUIU battery bar though :(

Guest Majkl007

Thanks sej! I just switched to burstlam's n393x, so i'll take your build for a spin later this weekend. I have to say I'm really liking this new burstlam build. Doesnt seem to have the same wifi sleep issues and I'm pretty sure he's using the new kernel although I cant say for certain coz that changelog on his site is indecipherable after google translate has had its way with mandarin. Its also got a lot of the settings that were featured in cyanmobile. The transition animations can get a bit stuttery but apart from that it seems to be fairly fluid.

For those who are interested here's the link:

http://uloz.to/xTHPL...fix2-signed-zip

hi, can you tell me what languages is in this build included? I'm affraid that it is only chinese and English as usual :-( But the Czech language is much more comfortable for me, even if I¨m a little bit drunk during Easter weekend :-D

Tnx for your response.

I'm pretty sure it was asked before, but no searching helped me so far, so... :(

Yesterday I ran out of space in the internal memory (first time in my life :o) so I wanted to install Darktremor Apps2SD, it looked interesting with the symlinks.

I created max size swap and cache (or whatever they are called) in CWM, rebooted, but nothing happened.

Tried it with Targetbsp's kang.

Now I don't know if I screwed up something or CM7 is not compatible with this.

Thanks in advance! :)

Guest targetbsp

And after working that out, TomG released a new test rom... :D

Guest sej7278

And after working that out, TomG released a new test rom... :D

yeah fecking typical innit?! :o

get it whilst its hot: issues tracker

that said my build isn't really practical going forward, its a lot of patching to do to both the kernel and cm7, although it has been 11 hours with very light usage and used almost no battery, so i'm sticking with it for now.

Seems to be working fine for me. No MUIU battery bar though :(

yeah after i got it to work again last time, it definitely doesn't work now due to a lot of changes that recently got merged, spitemare seems to not be maintaining it, so i've given up with it as i can't be bothered to keep rebasing 6 patches.

he's not using the new blade source kernel for his cm7 build anymore, only SS6 it seems.

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

that said my build isn't really practical going forward, its a lot of patching to do to both the kernel and cm7, although it has been 11 hours with very light usage and used almost no battery, so i'm sticking with it for now.

I went with a CWM patch containing the previous kernel and wifi files. Works for me. I just select it as one of many additional files during any rom flash. :D

Have Coldfusion on atm so can't test the new test rom right now.

Guest kingpair

he's not using the new blade source kernel for his cm7 build anymore, only SS6 it seems.

But isn't Konsta's SS RLS6 based on the new kernel according to his changelog?

Guest matcho13579

Can someone link me a working google apps link the ones i have wont install for some reason. Thanks

gapps from wiki.cyanogenmod.com are working for me, try it

Guest targetbsp

Is it worth overclocking, does it give a significant performance boost, does it use up much more battery?

I kind of have to answer maybe to all three of those. :D

Your first question really depends on how the answers to the next two affect you personally.

You will get a performance boost to any task that is CPU bound.

It will use up more power, though probably not as much as you'd expect. When it's idle it will obviously be at lower frequencies and so using no more power. When it's at high frequencies, you'll almost certainly have other much more high drains going on (such as the screen) making the cpu's usage less significant.

Guest vNa5h
Can someone link me a working google apps link the ones i have wont install for some reason. Thanks

Try the one from target bsp site

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Guest eszleny

The Squadzone kernel never had that issue.

but my blade never sleep if the wifi on I tried it and the screen can switch on with any button if wifi on (screen off than wait 5, 10, seconds)

Edited by eszleny